Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Hellsau posted:

Actually somebody tell me what cards to buy on MTGO before they launch the 1v1 commander leagues, thanks.

Probably that 5 color hermit Druid combo deck? Isn't that considered the best commander deck currently? I don't know where to find a decklist, just that it use Scion of the Ur-Dragon as the commander and secondary win condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Mezzanon posted:

Dope.

I'm going to a modern 5k at the end of the month. Bringing bant spirits, am stoked.

Bant Spirits is an awesome deck. It needs a few more 2 drops, though. I've actually been trying out some of the hateful spirits in the 2 drop slot, maindeck, like Kataki, and it hasn't been too bad. I like it better than running Phantasmal Image anyway. I saw a list where someone ran 2 of the original Thalia main, I want to try that also.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Mezzanon posted:

Hmmm. I actually run with 3x Phantasmal Image because I like the card so much. Kataki is a 2-of in the board along with 2x meddling Mage (my loving favourite sideboard card)

OG Thalia interacts poorly with CoCo

The CoCo interaction is definitely a concern, although I've found that I often want to cast CoCo last (since it's more reliable to play stuff like Spell Queller, or a Hexproof provider, rather than hoping to hit one with the CoCo), so I think most of the time I'm okay paying the extra mana. That said, I've only played the deck through a couple of leagues online, so I'm still learning the ropes.

For Phantasmal Image, how often are you copying an opponent's creature with it? I find that I'm only happy with it if I'm copying my Drogskol Captain. Otherwise, it doesn't get flash from my Rattlechains, so it can't even be used as extra Spell Quellers, or as a surprise hexproof provider. I did copy an opponent's creature once or twice so they could trade in combat, but that's a pretty lame use of it. Maybe I'm expecting too much from it, and it's fine just to be Selfless Spirit #2 as extra insurance? I don't know, it feels like the deck benefits from having a variety of spirits out more than doubling up on any (except for the captain).

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

uninverted posted:

I'm in the market for a cheapish modern deck to play on magic online and I've been looking at Amulet Titan; can anyone recommend for or against it? I really like fiddly combo decks with lots of lines, but I don't know whether it's any good or not.

I'd imagine it would be great for the friendly leagues. Storm is probably better, though, and might fit your style just as well. But, Wizards hates storm so it might get another piece banned :shrug:.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

The worst thing about price spikes is that I now feel obligated to look through all my poo poo in case I have some :(.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Sickening posted:

Whats the rules for communication in team events in concern to whispering? Seems like it would be a no brainer that you are allowed to whisper, but other rules require information to be in the open mid game for other things.

I would assume it's allowed. Players are allowed to talk in their own language at worlds, and that usually means the opposing team doesn't understand them. Seems like it would be the same for whispering.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

If inviting a few "celebrities" to a PT makes you feel this upset, then maybe grinding for the PT isn't for you. There's like a million other ways Wizards shits on aspirational "pros," is this seriously the thing that people are going to choose to be bothered by?

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

When I played constructed FNM in Vancouver, it was always $2 entry, with every two players adding 1 pack to the prize pool.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

this is a very odd structure, how many players did they average?

It was up to 40 per week, by the time I moved away. The store could only hold 16 matches, so there were always people playing outside in the mall. A few times I showed up 15 min before fnm started and they turned me away. This was around OG Zendikar, though, so in the middle of the boom, and during a good standard.

How is the structure odd? Packs were $4, so all of the entry fees were converted to packs for the prizes.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Just a reminder to everyone; you don't actually have to activate your Liliana of the Veil. My opponent decided to discard such hits as Scavenging Ooze, Collective Brutality, Olivia Voldaren, a pile of lands while stuck on 3. All while I was activating Moorland Haunt every turn. I actually stopped trying to kill the Liliana (just leaving her at 1), because they wouldn't stop activating her and it was benefitting me so much more than them.

Also, I've been running Moorland Haunt over Gavony Township in my Bant Spirits deck, it seems like a huge upgrade to me so far. There's been multiple games where it single handedly won me the game, while I never once activated township. I know there's at least one other person here who's been playing the deck, any thoughts?

ShadeofBlue fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 4, 2017

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I kind of expected them to go to a Big set-small set-Big return set-Big core set rotation, but this seems fine. Bringing back the core set was important. I'm not sure it was necessary to axe the small sets entirely, but in the end I doubt I'll care either way.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

The Human Crouton posted:

I started MTGO again, and in my very first sealed tournament, I accidentally figured out that you can add basic lands to your deck and send them all to your sideboard.

So your entire sealed deck is a 5 color deck of your choosing between rounds.

Is this known? It has to be.

I'm pretty sure you can straight up add basic lands during sideboarding, so you don't even have to pad your sideboard with them. I'm not positive though.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Tainen posted:

I believe LSV said he is on the design team for it so it wouldn't surprise me if it shared a lot with magic. Honestly had never heard of it before he brought it up.

I think he's a developer actually? But I think the majority of the designers and developers are current or former magic pros (unless it's a bigger company than I realize), so the similarity isn't surprising.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

TheMaestroso posted:

Are ETBs triggered effects? If so, there's some cool stuff you can do with that. Like stop a Snapcaster/Gearhulk trigger, for instance.

Yup, that works. I feel like 3 mana is too much for this to be useful in Modern, though (and I don't think the split card of being a 3/1 flash flyer for 3 is enough for it to see play). It kind of occupies the same space as Vendilion Clique, as a medium costed mild disruption/flying clock, but it can't do both at the same time, and just seems worse overall.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

One reason I hope death's shadow doesn't get banned is because I actually find it a lot of fun to play against. Decisions feel meaningful and every game at least feels close, even if it isn't, because they have to put themselves at a low life total to operate. I pretty much only play in friendly leagues online though, so maybe it's more degenerate in skilled players' hands? It definitely seems like a very tricky deck to pilot optimally.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I scoop once it's clear they know how to do the combo because it's boring. If they are about to time out, I usually won't though, since in my experience most MODO players would not scoop to me in that situation. I guess that means I'm part of the problem :shrug:. I definitely wouldn't argue with someone who says that you should scoop even if they time out. I guess it kind of depends on my mood too. I have scooped to someone who screwed up their combo becuase they were clearly new to MODO before. They paid me back by making me play through my own combo next game (I confirmed that they knew how to concede).

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

I remember them specifically saying a couple years ago that they weren't going to do half-cycles anymore because it causes too many issues. Then all the changes started to come down the pipe, and apparently, they said "gently caress it!" because now we've had three of the last four as incomplete cycles (with the fourth finishing an incomplete cycle from like a decade ago).

I don't think they ever said that they weren't going to do half-cycles, I think they just said that there would be equal support for allied and enemy colored decks.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Seems more intuitive to me :shrug:. I always assumed that the rules were already this way, until I saw the old Wild Beastmaster ruling.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Pontius Pilate posted:

Is affinity a tier 3 deck now? Also like the assumption that he or she is playing a tier 1 deck not that it actually has any bearing on the matter.

No, the point is that they have to use counterfeits in order to afford a T1 deck. There's no way I'd even notice the 4/4 if I were playing against that, and even if I did, I wouldn't call them out on it. I don't really feel the need to act as an inspector for WotC, and I'd rather see people being able to play the deck they want than to throw a tantrum over who printed the cardboard sitting across from me.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

ThePeavstenator posted:

I wouldn't really call it a tantrum to call a judge on obvious fakes at a competitive event.

Honestly, I'd just think it was a misprint and move on. Why would you even spend energy trying to spot fakes at a tournament? No one in this thread is good enough at magic, that they wouldn't perform better if they focused on other aspects of the game.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

ShaneB posted:

I guess I figure that the game is in somewhat of a better position, overall, if people don't have to worry about :

- buying counterfeit cards (especially when buying online) that exist in the marketplace
- being at a competitive disadvantage by not purchasing counterfeit cards and their own budget not allowing them to play whatever deck they want to play at a given moment
- if their opponent is playing fakes in the first place, and whether or not they should call a judge and if they will face some kind of pushback or public shaming from others

More or less playing a CCG isn't some fundamental human right, and even though I am old enough to make enough money to buy most cards when I want them I still have to make judgement calls on the cost/benefit of, say, buying 4 Chalice of the Voids so I could run out Eldrazi Tron instead of Death's Shadow simply because I'm bored with it. If you are truly priced out of playing Modern, the game is still available for you to play in many other reasonably priced ways. Or, if one absolutely must play Modern for some reason, one could choose to employ the budgeting necessary to get the cards needed for the deck one wants over time. Embracing instant gratification at the cost of fooling others (or worse) isn't exactly a human trait I want to support or just say "fakes are cool whatever who does it hurt?"

This argument is dumb, because it's not a fundamental right to play in a world without counterfeits, either. There is no difference, game rules-wise, between playing with "real" cards, and good, readable proxies. I just want to play magic, I don't care where your cards came from. Why is it a good thing that you have to make a cost/benefit analysis before you can even play the game? Competitive disadvantages still exist for reasons outside the game, even if there were no counterfeits, so why is this a specific thing you have a problem with?

EDIT: Buying and trading counterfeit cards is a legitimate concern, but I feel like it's a small price to pay compared to having the game be more accessible to more people. You are a piece of poo poo if you try to pass off a counterfeit as real when you are trading/selling though.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

odiv posted:

Maybe it's just my wallet talking, but it looks slightly better than a Horizon Canopy when you draw it and don't need the land. Every once and a while you fetch a shock land and have it etb tapped, so it seems like one in the main wouldn't be terrible.

Worth some playtesting I guess, but maybe the drawback is just too much.

It's not even better if you don't need the land. Horizon Canopy uses up your land drop, but only costs 1 mana after that, to cycle. If you don't need land, you don't care that it used up your land drop. The cyclers are sooooo much worse if you draw them, and do need the land. Plus, Canopy fixes your mana. The new cycling lands are only going to be good if there is a deck that takes advantage of having lands in the graveyard, and is also grindy enough that it's okay paying 2 mana to do nothing all of the time. If the Death's Shadow deck gets banned out somehow, I could maybe see a Life From the Loam deck emerge in Modern, but even then, I'm not really convinced. I think that type of deck really needs 1 mana cyclers for it to have a chance.

To be honest, I don't even think any ETBT cyclers would replace Horizon Canopy even if they did cycle for 1. Canopy is meant as a dual land foremost, that sometimes helps you mitigate flood, later. The kinds of decks that are running Canopy right now really don't want their lands to enter tapped.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

My guess is because that draft format loving sucked

It's part this, and I think partly how appealing the card is to a spike. There are far fewer casual players online to prop up prices of non-competitive cards, which means those competitive cards get more expensive. I'm not sure how accurate that theory is, but it's always the spikiest cards that this happens to (Sphinx's Rev and Jace, Vryn's Prodigy were both more expensive online than paper for most of their standard presence as well, not sure how they stand now).

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

I've never heard Affinity described as unfair based on these interpretations (which I think are correct). Infect is kind of unfair because it pseudo-changes the rules of the game; the infect player starts at 20 life while their opponent starts at 10.

I've heard affinity be described as "unfair," although that might have been the old standard versions with Disciple of the Vault and Skullclamp. The standard version of the deck had some serious combo-kill potential; it had plenty of draws that could ignore the attack step, and whatever the opponent was doing.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Walked posted:

How the gently caress even does this get published.

Wizards does not want to pay proper writers.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

It's been a while since I've watched a PT, but it seems like they have actually improved the quality of their coverage a decent amount? It feels way better than a year or two ago.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Star Man posted:

I thought Mutavault was $20 until it rotated out of Standard in 2009. Or did it start for much higher in 2008?

I don't remember it getting much above $20 while it was in Morningtide standard. I didn't play standard during the mono-black devotion days, though, so maybe it was higher then?

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Mikujin posted:

Doesn't have the obligatory "... using mana as though it were mana of any color" text tacked on which kind of makes it feel lovely.

Especially since you can't even make use of any off color lands you grab. Commander doesn't seem like the right place for that card. I do like it in general though, it's a nice twist on Ophidian.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

It's just drafting, but you don't get to play with your deck afterwards.

Just Cube.

So, you get to do the fun part of drafting, but not the tedious part of drafting? Sounds terrible!

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I'm kind of disappointed that the library dying doesn't mill/exile it all :/.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Sickening posted:

You can "temporarily" in the automated system. If what you said was true there would be no negative reviews of most giant corp products on youtube. That isn't reality. That is just a fantasy.

They're not having the videos taken down, they are claiming the monetization. So the original video uploader makes no money, just the video game company. Apparently Nintendo is particularly diligent in doing this for let's plays and whatever.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

endlessmonotony posted:

This sure is a post.

And pretty much a shining example of what I said.

I didn't just "ask for opinions", I asked a specific question.

I mean, to be honest, I hoped the "gently caress you." would just shut you up and make it clear I don't want your opinion, but here we are.

We don’t want you in this thread, but you keep posting, too :shrug:.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

There’s been some chatter about Grixis Death’s Shadow no longer being good, so printing Wasteland should give it a shot in the arm :).

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

That's sarcasm, yeah?

It would absolutely wreck DS as a deck.

Yah wasteland suuucks in low to the ground tempo decks, like for example, Delver.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Entropic posted:

Remember right before KTK came out when everyone was convinced Jeskai Ascendancy was going to break modern in half and was going to need an emergency ban?

The deck was legit pretty insane with Treasure Cruise in the format, I remember watching some streams/CFB videos. It's just that UR Delver was even more insane, and then both decks died with the cruise ban.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

:stare: I own a house in Burien and my MORTGAGE is only $1200.

I, with 3 others, am paying over $4500 per month (not a typo) for a 2 bedroom, 1200 square foot apartment in the SF Bay Area. To be fair we do also have 2 dogs.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Probably a little too good in my far from expert opinion.

Being able to make turns where you miss your curve drop into ramp built into the land would be pretty great, and even baseline this is an incredibly reliable and self-contained turn 2 3-drop enabler since turn 1 you're most likely gonna use the storage ability.

You can’t play a turn 2 3-drop with this theoretical version. I think they are probably fine. They probably wouldn’t even be auto 4-ofs, except maybe in monocolor decks.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Maarak posted:

What's this now?

When she was introduced in Zendikar she was a Lorwyn-style Elf nazi, basically.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

evilweasel posted:

Am I reading this correctly that you may only play those cards as the trigger resolves? That seems useless if so. Or is it that once exiled you may play them without paying their mana cost for the rest of the game (or until the dino leaves the field)?

You have to play them as the trigger resolves or never, ignoring normal timing restrictions.

Edit: cards like this, where they don’t tell you when you can play the revealed cards, always mean that you play them on resolution and don’t have to worry about sorcery-speed. If it gives you a time frame (until eot, for the rest of the game, etc.), then you have to obey normal timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

ShaneB posted:

How the hell do you resolve this in person? Hide the creatures behind your DM screen so the other player doesn't make a decision informed by yours?

You choose in APNAP order.