Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

ShaneB posted:

I'm surprised to hear this, actually, I think this set has a LOOOOOOT of juggling of mechanics/cards/options.

My initial impression is that it's pretty easy to make the cards do what they're supposed to do, but you have a lot of choice of when and if to do that. Like, you don't need enablers or fancy sequencing to cycle a card, but whether to do so or not can often be non-obvious and impactful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Angry Grimace posted:

Magic Story summary:

Jace and Liliana were loving and Gideon complained about it (because he was too dense to figure out why Jace was at Lili's house early in the morning) so they had to stop. Gideon might as well put on a goddamn fedora at this point; dude is not only friend-zoned as gently caress, but he's a cockblocker.

Really, him summoning white knight allies should have been a tip-off.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

BJPaskoff posted:

Don't most nerd cons sell out in under a half hour after they open registration at a random unannounced time?

That's only really true of SDCC, which is a huge outlier in the world of nerd cons.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

kingcobweb posted:

Came here to post about him

The entirety of twitter is dunking on him and I couldn't be happier. He's probably top-five best-known magic players now, too, which shows how insular our community really is

I hate that idiot. Spend less on buying followers

I started thinking about who the five best-known Magic players would be (besides people known for other things who happen to also play Magic), realized the buttcrack guy would probably be one of them, and stopped.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

C-Euro posted:

Yeah DTT is a sweet card that was unfortunately printed with a really broken mechanic that makes it banworthy.

What mechanic has gotten the most cards banned, either directly (cards with that mechanic printed on them) or indirectly? It's gotta be Storm right?

Conspiracy, I'd assume, but I'm guessing that's not really what you mean.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

ThePeavstenator posted:

Sure, if you consider papers by John von Neumann or John Nash to be a new thing.

Hell, even the specific phenomenon of using the internet to solve Magic metagames has been around for 20+ years at this point.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

mandatory lesbian posted:

this is only ancillary to Magic but I'm seeing ads on twitch now despite having adblock, what the gently caress

They're probably inserting them into the video stream itself instead of serving them separately.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Chill la Chill posted:

I've done this before. It was actually neat in KTK when it was a mix of the "gentleman's draw" and that red sorcery that dealt X to opponent and 4 to yourself so it ended in a draw.

What card was this? I thought I had a pretty good breadth of knowledge of the cards that existed, but I can't for the life of me come up with something that matches this, unless you're horribly misremembering Sarkhan's Rage.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

C-Euro posted:

Oh yeah now we can get more outsider-designed cards like in M15 hell yeah

:yeah: It was really cool having a few cards by people with totally different design sensibilities from the core team, and with the extra focus on ~brand outreach~ in recent years it actually seems like something they'd give anohter go.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Chill la Chill posted:

I actually really like the more frequent WOTC bannings because it gets the mtgfinanciers scrambling. New Ulyanov already down to $6

Appropriate, since recent Standard resembles one of those Soviet photos where people keep getting edited out until it's just Stalin.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

mandatory lesbian posted:

DINOSAAAAAAAURS RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWR

I gotta admit, I'm hyped that they properly gave the dinosaurs feathers.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

80s James Hetfield posted:

He really does maybe kick their rear end and somehow banish them to a bunch of different planes at the end of HOD doesn't he.

It does seem like an elegant way to pull back on the amount of Gatewatch per set, and not having to stick to the same plane for multiple sets means they can have arcs focusing on individual characters without being locked in for a full six months.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Have you guys had any experience drafting on cockatrice? I'm looking to practice my draft game skills without burning through money losing on MTGO.

FNM is only once a week, turns out.

It's been a while, but I remember it being a big hassle to actually wrangle eight people and not have someone disconnect mid-draft, and usually people would play one round and leave.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Sickening posted:

Well, made day two but dropped when I realized cashing was going to be impossible. The deck is going but boring as gently caress. I think ari saying going down to 17 lands is correct. Flooded out on 19 lands way too often. Out of 9 rounds I played the mirror 4 times.

For the dramatic amount of space we had in the convention hall they sure did pack everyone in for the amount of people. Getting to your table was worse than it was in San Antonio. Still too many people to a table when space was a luxury. The amount of vendors was pretty impressive though. I doubt there was a card, token, or magic product you couldn't get here.

Enjoyed the trip. Modern is still the best.

It's funnysad that I can know what deck you were playing just based on running into the mirror 4 times.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Sestze posted:

i actually enjoy making my opponents deal with that poo poo.

flashback to stanislaf cifka's eggs in RtR finals. behold, the ultimate in ev+ masturbation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZDaM4VpSBk

My favorite Eggs match is still the one where Brian Kibler (with a judge's permission) wrote "F6" on a piece of paper and walked away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPM2d1q3-Gc

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Siivola posted:

I think "discard your hand, draw seven" could be the red thing.

There's no way they'd print that for 1RR without a drawback that actually impacts your ability to just win that turn.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

odiv posted:

Cat Company?

(furiously checks for modern legal cats)

There's a decent number of cats that are playable aggro dorks or hatebears on their own merits, I'd have to see at least another good tribal payoff before considering it though.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

So, unrelated to spoiler news: I want to make a Modern tokens deck that uses Signal Pest instead of the expensive cards, about 10% because I think it could be actually reasonable and 90% so I can play Signal Pest and Intangible Virtue in the same deck and call it "Virtue Signalling".

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Gustav posted:

I'm not going to battle in defense of MTGO's interface, but I don't feel like the amount of bugs is particularly out of line with what you see in other online videogames.

Every time I've described MODO bugs to people who play other online games they were flabbergasted.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

dragon enthusiast posted:

the literal translation for the combined names is something along the lines of Just Cause so go figure out some synonym that involves the word to

Right to rule?

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

dragon enthusiast posted:

The explanation given was that nobody works over the weekend so there's nobody to hand out spoilers

I was going to say it would be trivial to schedule an article to go up over the weekend, but it involves WotC doing something online so...

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

The thing that interests me about this is that, between it and Geistblast, you can have eight copies of "2U, exile from your graveyard: copy one of your spells" in Standard. I'm not sure if there's anything worth doing with it, but any time you can get eight of an unusual effect it's worth thinking about.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Rides Naked posted:

1) Fair
2) Tell modo that because it works on there

According to Gatherer:

quote:

You can’t use the Library of Leng ability to place a discarded card on top of your library when you discard a card as a cost, because costs aren’t effects.

It's not terribly surprising that it works on MODO though.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

suicidesteve posted:

If only there were some sort of tag Maro could put on his posts to make people aware when he was speaking as an employee of his company.

Just because he isn't speaking in an official capacity as a representative of the company doesn't mean he just becomes a regular guy when he takes the hat off.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Entropic posted:

Oh man. I originally started back when every store had more lovely Fallen Empires packs than they knew what to do with, and I made so many terrible decks based around trying to get Ebon Praetor and Breeding Pit online.

Breeding Pit had cool art too:

It was Breeding Pit and Lord of the Pit for me. Ten year old me felt real clever for making the connection that one "pit" card could feed the other.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/Jigwally/status/881172746134183938

This is the best one so far.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Elyv posted:

I feel like competitive 1v1 edh is probably an interesting format, but I've never tried it

I had a lot of fun with Pauper Commander when I played it years ago, no idea if it's still good or even a thing though.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

mehall posted:

Just play canadian highlander. The points list works pretty effectively.

Has there ever been a Canadian Highlander Thunderdome? Because I'd totally be down for that.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Gustav posted:

More importantly I like playing against people who play for stakes. People who care about winning and won't just get bored and leave halfway through the game, or snapkeep a zero-lander and just quit if he doesn't draw land -> land. That sort of thing.

Whatever happened to Magic League? Their website doesn't seem to exist anymore. I remember playing in some of their tournaments years ago, and even though the only stakes were bragging rights for the most part, having organized tournaments led to much better games than just finding randos in the lobby.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Entropic posted:

There was a guy at my LGS named John Conner who got really tired of all the jokes while Alara Reborn was in Standard.

That guy must really hate Modern.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Count Bleck posted:

Had a level 2 judge at a modern tournament I went to yesterday tell the table next to me that Player A's CoCo resolved, putting Walking Ballista and Eternal Witness on the board, that he couldn't target Walking Ballista with E.Wit's ETB trigger.

I'll admit that I would have gotten this one wrong if I had to guess how it worked, although it was pretty clear-cut once I actually looked it up.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

They brought in a new CEO. Growth is not as high as it used to be, but is still positive.

Is anyone else in the digital next alpha?

I thought "Digital Next" was a generic term for various electronic offerings they have in the pipeline rather than any specific product.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

cheetah7071 posted:

Nicol Bolas having a penchant for one-liners that a thirteen year old would think are clever and badass is an amazing if unintentional bit of characterization

At this point I'd be surprised if there was a single Magic writer who didn't have a shrine in their home to Joss Whedon.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

That monoblack Eldrazi deck at 7th is certainly a thing.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

There's a few cards that cost more than you'd expect online, but it's a matter of "why is this twelve dollars instead of twelve cents" so it's hard to even call those expensive in the grand scheme of the game.

Sit on my Jace fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 5, 2017

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Eela6 posted:

Look, you don't want to commit too hard to your first pick.

Amazing, amazing.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Elyv posted:

That card is actually kind of legit

It strikes me as almost but not quite good enough for Death and Taxes.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

ZeroCount posted:

That scalelord isn't here to gently caress around.

If I had multiple dragons on board in a Commander game, I don't think targeted spells would be my main worry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016