Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
It helps that the terrible commons/"sideboard cards" they always put in all have cycling now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

Actually, the story is relatively good this week. It's written competently and without a bunch of bullshit like Chandra's inner-monologues.

The first section is literally just a description of the art from new Liliana, though

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Ironic Masters, featuring the return of white borders and 7th Edition art

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Exploratory design ie basically brainstorming, the previous block probably wasn't even in development at that point

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Jabor posted:

So there was a big clarification post on the new combat shortcut: https://blogs.magicjudges.org/telliott/2017/04/27/how-to-think-about-the-new-combat-shortcut/

It's still not clear to me what happens if you say "attackers" instead of "combat" in your main phase. The comments section implies that the answer is "gently caress you, you're still in beginning of combat, you were supposed to ask twice if you wanted to be able to declare attackers without tipping your hand", which seems really dumb.

I mean, the shortcut working differently based on what word you say is precisely what they're trying to avoid. If your concern is the NAP can wait to see what the attacks are and then rewind to beginning of combat, it does say "We do expect the non-active player to interrupt relatively quickly once the active player makes it clear that they’re going into combat. No waiting to see what’s declared as attackers, pausing to think for a bit, then attempting to interrupt the shortcut." Or you can just do the double-pass to be safe

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Something came up tonight that the release notes don't really clarify: what happens if you remove a Heart-Piercer Manticore in response to its trigger? The wording is kind of weird, using "When you do" instead of "If you do", so it's actually two triggers. My interpretation was that it worked like exploit: if the creature isn't on the battlefield when the first trigger resolves, the second ability won't trigger. The other argument is that since there's no line break between the two, they are all part of the same ability, and it goes off anyway.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Finally the Saw/Magic crossover fanfiction we've all been waiting for

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Fun thing to do this standard: start a debate about the pronunciation of Canyon Slough

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Elyv posted:

Turns out magic story is better when the main character of the chapter isn't a planeswalker

also Nicol Bolas is about to be back maybe

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
+

should be the win

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

gif Probst posted:

just had the weirdest draft tonight. player pulled a force of will, but wasnt allowed to drop during draft (he 100% should have been allowed.)

so he proceeded to draft all of the 3 drops, of all colors, not even trying to make a deck, loving everyone's curve up. he was just taking any creature or spell that cost 3. then once drafting was over he dropped.

he is my new hero.

this guy sounds like a prick

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Went 4-0 but came second on tiebreakers. Best play was Hour of Eternity for 2 returning Bloodwater Entity, put Hour back on top. HoE for 1 returning Ahn-Crop Crasher is also pretty good

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's okay, come to Duel Commander, where the metagame was shaken up because today they banned four tier 1 lists at once!

And they announced next season's bans will include Gitrog Monster and Titania!

WoTC was right to make their own banlist.

They should change online commander to 20 life at least because 100-card aggro decks are a lot of fun

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Entropic posted:

So I know everyone thinks Reflector Mage was an unjustified ban, but I wonder if WOTC actually was for once looking ahead and realized how filthy it would have been in the UW Monument Dusk // Dawn deck. That deck is still really good in the current standard btw.

I doubt they ever even tested Oketra's Monument for Standard, let alone built an archetype around it, and Reflector Mage was supposed to be rotating at the time anyway

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Devor posted:

Are there any awesome upside activated abilities that are constrained by continuous effect downsides?

Time Vault, clearly

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

mehall posted:

So after the first day of GP Birmingham, I now have a complete legacy deck.

Looking forward to jamming more chaos drafts tomorrow, but might get a Legacy event in as practice for competitive legacy at birmingham in May.

I paid £15 to lose to death's shadow then bought some duals for my duel commander deck

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

mcmagic posted:

So how are people going to try to cast this for free?

Wildfire Eternal?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

I saw Rosewater's name scrolling down before I saw the tweet so I had the experience of, "God, I hope he doesn't do the whole "World, meet [card name]" thing agai-dammit."

Someone should make a twitter bot that does that for every card that gets spoiled

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Played in Scottish Nationals yesterday. I was playing God-Pharaoh's Gift, which isn't a great meta choice but I like the deck. Somehow I got paired against Zombies three rounds in a row, before losing to Mono-Red. 4-1 in Standard. At this point, WER screwed up and the draft was delayed for about an hour.

I needed to go 2-0-1 in draft to top 8. I drafted a RU deck which seemed correct for my seat but was slightly uninspiring. I won my first round before getting crushed with Liliana's Mastery and Lord of the Accursed in both games. I was pretty fried at this point from lack of food and playing a lot of magic. 6-2 was still theoretically live for top 8, but I lost my last round, ironically to God-Pharaoh's Gift. Only one 6-2 made the cut and he had better breakers than me anyway.

I got home at 11 after leaving at 8.30. The top 8 went on past midnight. It was a long-rear end day, but more fun than WMCQs. Hopefully next year they will sort out the issues with having draft right before the cut.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

mehall posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure what problems they might have had doing it draft first, but it just seems cleaner.
Works for the Pro Tour!

Though Scotland doesn't get a 2 day Nationals.

I considered showing up for side events, but I decided to play video games instead.

Draft first doesn't work when people have byes

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Mezzanon posted:

I mean, I think the deck is very powerful, and can attack on more than one axis, plus I think most lists are running refurbish as well.

There was an SCG video yesterday that was gifts vs blue based favorable winds, and those have been two of the decks I've been considering for standard.

mcmagic is usually good at finding niche standard decks, and that's pretty much my jam.

As a side note: If people think that gifts is a dead deck they won't sideboard graveyard hate, if they don't sideboard graveyard hate, the gifts deck is bananas.

I think it could be a way to attack the format if the level 1 metagame shakes out in such a way that people aren't equipped for it. Someone might win a GP with it a few weeks into the format, whereupon the metagame readjusts and it gets hated out. I don't think it will ever be a tier 1 deck.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I played 4 colour pirates, splashing Vraska off treasures only. All except 2 cards in my main deck were pirates or pirate-related.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Oh gently caress I did the thing I called someone else on, in my defense I believe a top four being all Edgar Markov is fairly self-evident.

Free 1/1 with a relevant type as a casting trigger means Edgar is making two mans for one spell and there is next to nothing to do about it, since Counterspell can't hit the token and as a triggered ability is in a zone poo poo just does not loving touch. The pressure this can put on a life total, esp. one in a format that has systematically banned control elements and has 20 life instead of 30, is fairly intense. Answer the 1, 2, and 3 drop It doesn't help Mardu has a lot of things to help a bunch of 1/1s get dangerous and Vampires have some relevant pumps like one mana off a War Trumpet, a lord that can be used to steal commanders, and three hellrider-type effects.

Edgar actually just got banned, along with four(!) cards from Zurgo. Edgar was beatable with a little metagaming but Eminence is just dumb in general and it was only going to get more powerful with Ixalan. Duel Commander is great, Saskia remains the secret best deck. Wizards should just make MTGO Commander into Duel.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Oh good, I'm glad their policy continues to be banning anything and everything. Duel Commander's great if you don't mind that every three months the metagame shifts radically and unpredictably.

Seriously, Fireblast? I think one should ask how the hell they made a format where the singleton Fireblast deserves a ban before actually banning it.

They're working with considerably less metagame information and internal testing than Wizards; they're not perfect (JVP ban last time round in particular seemed pretty odd) but I think they're doing a decent job. It's not their fault Wizards keeps printing commanders that aren't balanced for 1v1 at all.

The Zurgo bans make sense from the perspective that Zurgo decks were too strong (probably true), but the commander itself is not the problem and there are no combos in the deck. When all the cards in the deck do pretty much the same thing at different levels of efficiency, banning a single card in a 99-card singleton format is not going to make much impact; they just replace it with a slightly less powerful card, and you won't even notice the difference in half the games. So they had to ban multiple cards at once, and I think it's fair to say that the ones they chose are probably the most powerful ones that don't really show up in any other decks.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

In what world is Zurgo too strong except the one where every deck above it has been chopped off, several times in a row? This doesn't exist in isolation. It's the format that banned Bruse Tarl, Geist, and Baralymorph, after it banned Breya, after it banned Breya, after it unbanned loving Balance.

With Zurgo weakened, Titania and Arahbo are next on the hitlist, and I imagine no one will ask why Fastbond, Balance, and Cataclysm are all a-ok but Sulfuric Vortex is apparently 2stronk.

Zurgo was still putting up results against those busted decks, it's been a consistent part of the meta and its popularity is a limiting factor on control decks. They haven't killed the deck, just taken it down a peg or two.

And they don't make the cards, so what are they supposed to do when Wizards keeps printing busted commanders? Breya was a Swiss army knife and combo enabler, Vial Smasher was not remotely balanced for 1v1. Bruse Tarl may look dorky but Partner is almost intrinsically broken and he was the best aggro/anti-aggro partner. Eminence is really dumb, following in the footsteps of two long-banned commanders; Arahbo will probably survive, because cats are mostly garbage, but his ability is absurd. Titania will probably just get Fastbond banned again, because why did they even unban it in the first place, but the deck is fine without it.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Even if Duel Commander were an aggro-only metagame it would still be great because 99-card singleton aggro decklists are a thing of beauty. You get to play great cards like Voltaic Brawler, Dreg Mangler and Woolly Thoctar

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Anyone on the Anointed Procession tokens deck in standard? If so, do you like the WUB build or the Abzan build more?

I really like Scarab God up top on the WUB build, but Vraska is pretty tempting...

I think the Esper build is more powerful overall, but Abzan has better mana and is better in the mirror. If you're planning on playing in paper, be warned that the deck is very draining to play; you need to play fast and remember all your triggers. Also the Approach matchup is very slow and game 1 is almost unwinnable, so watch out for your opponent stalling for the 1-0.

Abzan might gain some points in paper because Vraska and more Shefet Dunes mean you can close out a game faster and are less likely to go to time.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
They didn't ban Blacker Lotus, better stock up

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

myDad posted:

Kinda late here, but lol @ , Minotaur Pirate

Can't wait for Gideon, Human Soldier

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Wasteland would be loving stupid in Modern, are you insane?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Errant Gin Monks posted:

God yes. Wasteland would make modern so much better . BYE TRON.

Also the insanely greedy mana bases would need to be retooled.

Modern is fine right now, Tron is beatable just like everything else is

Unless you consider "the format is too diverse, I can't have an optimal sideboard for every deck" to be a real problem

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Entropic posted:

Ascend seems weirdly worded.

On instants and sorceries it seems like you obviously check as the spell resolves whether the condition is met. But it's on permanents with the same wording. If you have a creature with Ascend, does it just turn on once and forever as a state-based effect if at any point you have 10 permanents? I would have expected it to work as an ETB or upkeep trigger.

It's explained in the rules article, it just turns on without using the stack

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

I've been busy posting demons and making puns, so, remember this image?

We have one of the green merfolk, Vraska, Huatli, and Ajani.

Now who's GW and would have abilities based around having a huge army who recently joined the gatewatch?

The decision to scale back the number of gatewatch members being printed on cards was probably made too late to change the design of the planeswalker, but not too late to change the character it depicted.

I'm pretty sure commissioning a new art piece takes longer than editing a text file

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

evilweasel posted:

last-minute untested edits are how a lot of their worst "whoops" mistakes happen so i think they avoid it and lock the mechanics a long time beforehand, while you can sub out art at any point without risk up to the printer's deadline

Art and name are both locked in relatively early, which is why Archangel's Light sucks and Emmara Tandris has the Elemental token in the background

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Hellsau posted:

This is actually insane if you can sacrifice it reliably, but man it's kind of a blowout if someone destroys it in response. Surely they could have templated it like Fairgrounds Warden and had it say 'When ~ enters the battlefield, target player exiles all card from their hand until ~ leaves the battlefield, then draws that many cards."

e: god this card is super weird.

I think they couldn't use that template because they didn't want it to work with bounce effects and the fact that it makes enchantment removal better against it is a feature

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

little munchkin posted:

♫ one of these things is not like the others ♫
♫ one of these things, doesn't belong ♫

Is it the one that can wipe your opponent's board while also triggering abilities on a bunch of your own guys?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Cernunnos posted:

How many effect in Standard deal 1 damage to the board?

Shame about the whole "no good ramp ever" thing WotC has going on now.

Forerunner of the Empire is pretty :laffo:

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

The Sexual Shiite posted:

This is also an infect hate card.

I think this is probably the issue. Any energy hate that doesn't specifically call out energy (and the ship sailed on that once Kaladesh block ended) is also going to remove poison counters, which Maro doesn't want you to be able to do.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

JerryLee posted:

3 CMC Pacify is called Arrest, or something else with a small bonus. I suppose maybe they tested it and found that the activated ability clause just ruined everything :qq:

There was a 4 mana pacifism with upside in the last set :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

JerryLee posted:

e: I remember back when, even if they had to make some removal mediocre, they at least tried to make it interesting. These days they literally just throw extra mana on something and/ or make it sorcery speed, and call it a day.

The thing is that "lovely card with a lot of text" isn't actually more fun than "lovely card with not much text", and realising this was the main motivation behind NWO. These cards don't need to be fancy, they're the glue that holds limited together, and making these slight tweaks lets them adjust how the format plays