Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage

Gripweed posted:

Noodles came from China and tomatoes from America, so I have to assume for several centuries Italian food was just like, eggplant stew and olive oil

Still better than Bristish cuisine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huSP7PtctC4&t=116s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The year 2417 Parliament finally approves the deal proposed by government only to discover the E.U. disbanded 73 years prior.

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

A government of de Pfeffel, for de Pfeffel, by de Pfeffel.

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

Obliterati posted:

Britain was already rear end-backward insane, it's just that the rest of you have finally noticed

We knew, it's just we've been willing to pretend otherwise until it wasn't possible any longer. :(

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

Are you brexcited?
I know I am

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is there a ritual phrase yet for when Brexit delay negotiations are about to start again?

”Brexit means Brexit”

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

Could someone enlighten a non-Brit exactly what happens in this clip?
Ping pong player calls out JC by name and he reciprocates?
I want in on the feel goods..

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

"Oh, Jeremy Corbyn" to the tune of Seven Nation Army has been sung at Labour rallies (and rock festivals he turns up at) since 2017, which is what the bloke was singing. Jeremy sung the bloke's name back, which is both just a fun/nice thing to do and (IMO) was him pretty much saying "You're as important as I am".

BMX Ninja posted:

The table tennis player is a lad with Downs Syndrome. He calls out to JC in the form of a popular chant based around the main riff from The White Stripes' Seven Nation Army.
JC responds in kind, using the lad's name which he presumably heard before earlier in the meet'n'greet, but remembered.

It's a cute, if unremarkable, exchange. But it shows that a dude with special needs recognizes that JC is the best bet for him. He's likely been at the receiving end of Tory cuts to mental health/special needs services, and the MSM aren't going around special needs community centres asking people like him who'll they'll vote for. Why would they, when it's easier to talk to boomers in the Home Counties about how Brexit needs to get done?

The humour comes from the tweeter inviting the viewer to imagine BoJo in the same situation. There's no chance BoJo would have bothered to remember the Downs Syndrome lad's name, and no chance he would have reacted in kind and invited the lad to bring it in for a hug. Imagining BoJo in this situation would most likely result in the Downs Syndrome lad being ripped apart by hounds before he got close to the PM.

Thanks guys for the comprehensive explanation !
BloJo would definitively have made a joke and played on the word 'down' to show off his cleverness.

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

Avirosb posted:

I'd join in knocking English cuisine but I'm Norwegian and everything we've made look and sound like things you shouldn't put inside you.

It’s true. Thet have something that has the colour, texture and taste of caramel but is actually goat cheese. They will serve you this with no warning.
Hot dogs are served rolled in a soft flatbread made from stamped flour, any garnish other than ketchup and (sweet) mustard is seen as extravagance.

There are other .. things as well

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

oliwan posted:

I'm the American critizing another national cuisine because of their hotdogs

Not American, I've actually lived in Norway and the pain is real.

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

redleader posted:

there is something fundamentally wrong with the english psyche

a) the English ruling class absolutely, 100% believe they rule by example.
b) the ruling class can only achieve sexual relief by humiliation and/or asphyxiation sex.

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

Jel Shaker posted:

now now, recent studies which traced genetics, surnames and historical records have found that much of the ruling class can trace their lineage directly all the way back to the Norman conquests

so it’s technically the fault of the French

So you agree on point A and B.

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

hemale in pain posted:

how the gently caress is boris johnson getting away with the get brexit done poo poo after spectacularly failing at getting brexit done.

how are people so stupid to allow that?

Well the trick to putting out a fire by dousing it with petrol is to use enough of it so it actually quenches the fire. If you use too little there's a real risk of it starting to burn as well, at which point you better have even more petrol on hand if you're ever going to put out the fire.

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

prefect posted:

You can actually extinguish a match in a bucket of gasoline if you're quick enough.

Exactly

Exactly

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm not normally one for imperialist trappings but it is kinda cool that the official datum point for both time and longitude all around the world is just down the road from me, and I can move from eastern to western hemispheres multiple times a day.

Also it annoys the poo poo out of the French which, lets face it, is the only thing that passes as a universal national character we have on these benighted isles.

Not to add a stone to an already heavy rucksack but the French actually don't give a flying gently caress about it, Paris time is GMT+1 the way 0°C is freezing and the sky is blue.
In a way it's cute how the Brits are so utterly convinced that their very existence is an irritation to the French, like a wound that simply refuses to scab over.

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

All 3.7 million Lib Dem voters: I hope you gently caress yourself in the rear end with a rusty pipe and catch a combination of sepsis & tetanus. loving die.

All 864,000 Green voters: Extinction rebel your rear end into an industrial composter. loving die.

All 642,000 Brexit voters: I hope you spontaneously combust in the middle of Christmas dinner and give all your children grease fire burns from your fat rear end. loving die.

All 10 million Labour voters: Some of you are alright... don't go to Britain tomorrow.

Tories + Brexit + UKIP = 45,7%
Labour + LibDems + SNP = 47,1%

I'm starting to think the UK has an incomplete understanding of what democracy is supposed to be?

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

Bip Roberts posted:

now do
Tories + Brexit + UKIP + LibDems
vs
Labour + SNP

I was under the impression Libdems were campaigning on Remain?

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

OK.
In my mind, were Britain a normal country with proportional representation Labour would be attempting to form a government with the Libdems and the SNP right now.
Not saying they would succeed, the Libdems would probably gently caress off to try and form a government with the Tories on a Remain by Brexit, end austerity by ending public spending idea.
But still.

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

That old lion is a right idiot if you don't mind me saying.
I mean, really.

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

Raccooon posted:

American cuisine has creole and cajun in it which blows away all European food.

A burn so weak I fear it wo'nt survive the night :(.
Thoughts and prayers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

twoday posted:

'Twas the night before Brexit, and all through Westminster
not a lord was awake, even Armstrong of Ilminster.
But in Wetherspoons gathered a boisterous throng,
hoping to hear that Big Ben would bong

Nigel Farage slept sound, didn't rustle,
knowing he never would return to Brussels.
but knowing the EU was destined to fail,
I had just settled down a for a warm pint of ale

When out in the street there arose such a clatter,
I stumbled outside to see what was the matter.
And there just before the pub's grimy exit
I beheld a wonder: red, white, and blue Brexit!

The effects took time, not a matter of days,
but months upon years, and with endless delays
and the sum consequences truly insane
almost too many for one person to name

There was private insurance for the disease stricken,
pensioners crying, and chlorine-soaked chicken!
Tariffs, inflation, and Scots looking violent,
a lack of farm labour, a united Ireland!

A Commonwealth unwelcoming of Britain
Its repute now that of a poo poo stain
Who could have known that a vote of Brexit
Is not what strengthens a country but breaks it!