Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm one of those retards who buys tons of gear but never uses it because I never do anything. Like, ever. I always want to go backpacking but I missed some opportunities when I lived by Seattle (just did day hikes) and now I'm back in Wisconsin which I'm not so happy about. In fact, I've never been backpacking despite have a pack that is used to put on my back. I've always just done car camping. None of my friends here have time to go on a trip, nor are they active enough to want to or anything, and I'm determined to get out this year so I guess I'm going to have to go solo.

I think today I'm going to lay out all of my gear on my living room floor and put together a pack that I could potentially take with me for a standard hike/camp. Does anyone know of any places in SE or central Wisconsin that you can actually backpack? Everything I see is just camp sites that you walk a few hundred yards too (if that). I'd like to actually hike a trail where I can set up shop wherever I want. I'm not having much luck.

Please let me into your world.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Ok I have one lead and one lead only. Apparently you can camp along the Ice Age trail as long as you camp withing 200 feet from water and the trail. The trail was carved out from glaciers and is over 1,000 miles that winds all around Wisconsin. There are only a few select parts you can set up shop and I think it's only in the Northern areas but that's excellent because North of Milwaukee is when the terrain starts getting really cool. I live in SE Wisconsin and everything is pretty flat besides some rolling hills. And ticks. Lots and lots of ticks. I'll have to do a lot more research and probably make some phone calls but I think I finally found what I'm looking for.

Sorry this isn't gear related but it will probably become so since I've never backpacked before.

Thanks for the help guys.

edit: The deer ticks here are loving horrible. Notice how the New England is filled with them............... and then just Wisconsin. Oh and this isn't tick reports, it LYME DISEASE reports. :cripes:

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 10, 2017

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Ok, here's a gear question. I have a really thin Columbia rain jacket that's kind of torn up and not breathable and basically it just feels like a poncho. Way too thin. So I am in the market for a new one. I'd like it to be not quite all weather, but spring, summer, fallish. Mostly for somewhat cooler temperatures because I'm one of those people who are always cold. I wear jeans all year round even when it's 90F. So I'm looking for something that is somewhat light but breathable which is what I suppose I'm most concerned about. I'm quite frugal so I'd prefer not spending $300 on one. The only outdoors store I have around here is Gander Mountain and Dick's. I doubt they'll have exactly what I'm looking for.

Do you guys ever buy clothing online? I always like to try something on before I buy it. I got up to 218 at my heaviest a few years ago and that jacket is a medium. Now I'm at about 189 and it fits but is a bit snug. I'm guessing I'll be quite safe ordering a large.

Anyway, do any of you guys have any suggestions?

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 10, 2017

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
The patagonia houdini and the marmot precip look kind of nice. That's pretty much what I'm looking for. A lightweight but breathable jacket. I do actually have a Frogg Toggs jacket/pants for emergencies. I guess I'm looking for something for when it's just drizzling on mild days. This is a good start.

Leper Residue posted:

Try looking at stuff construction and like roadworkers wear. I got a caterpillar winter coat that's waterproof and windproof that I love and wear when doing winter day hikes. Caterpillar and Carhartt are good brands.

Like roadworkers have to stand outside in the cold rain all day they know what is up.

I actually have a cat jacket that's really good in inclement weather. It's a bit beat up since I wear it regularly but it's a little heavy so I doubt I'll use it on the trail.

Morbus posted:

You probably already know this but permethrin treating your clothes/gear/tent owns the gently caress out of ticks.

I have a bottle of that and I'm going to spray the poo poo out of everything before I go camping.

Thanks guys.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 11, 2017

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

OSU_Matthew posted:

For ticks, you only get Lyme disease after they start regurgitating into your bloodstream, about 24 hours after latching. So, if you inspect yourself thoroughly after hiking, you can pry them off with a tick key and suffer no harm. They also hate peppermint oil, like the stuff in Dr. Bronner's magic soap--I'd recommend trying bathing with that before you go out of you're really concerned, and wear ankle length hiking pants since that's usually where they latch.

I might have to try that Dr. Bronner's soap. I know they say to never do this but every single time I've gotten a tick on me I just pull the little bugger out. Never had anything stuck in there. I've never heard of a tick key. Do they work well? Better than tweezers or my fingers?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Thanks to your guys' advice I ended up getting the Marmot PreCip Jacket from geartrader. $75 with free 2 day shipping. I looked around and everywhere just had great reviews for it.

I'm not usually a bright color guy but I like this one for some reason. Plus it might help someone locate me if I'm down face-first in a sewage drain.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Picnic Princess posted:

Rescue crews around here sometimes post on social media about how much they appreciate people wearing bright colours in the outdoors, it really helps with locating victims.

Do they ever use locator beacons to find people in sewage drains? Maybe I should invest in one of those.

bongwizzard posted:

Oddly enough my serial killer listserv has guys posting the same thing!

:ohdear:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I got my Marmot Precip today. It's a little loose as a large (I'm not used to saying that) but it looks and feels great. I love the color too. About $75 with free shipping. Perfect what my requirements. Thanks for the recommendations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Here's a non-derail related question. What do you guys use for lanterns? Preferably not crazy expensive ultralight stuff. A long time ago I got what I think is a Black Diamond Apollo Lantern.

It's nice and small but it doesn't throw out a ton of light. Also it doesn't work very well if I hang it in my REI Half Dome 2 HC (I think) because it doesn't throw light downwards. I've used those gas lamps with those cloth things in it that are SUPER loving bright but I think it's my parents and I have no clue where it is. Plus it's heavy and requires fuel which I really don't want at all. I have about 3 different headlamps too. I'm too lazy to stand up and walk to my basement to see which kind they are at this moment though.

I'll open the question a bit more just because I'm curious. What do you guys use for all of your lighting needs?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Levitate posted:

For backpacking or camping? Backpacking I just use a headlamp, but I'm also curious as to what good options there are for camping these days.

For now just camping. I don't think I'd be too concerned with a lantern if I were backpacking. If anything, that Apollo lamp is nice because it folds to a size just a bit larger than a soda can. I'd like a nice "basecamp" lantern for camping.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Holy poo poo that thing is crazy. Definitely looking into that.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I have a Lifestraw and a Katadyn Hiker Pro I think. I've never had a chance to use them. Ask me about the horrors of having to use well water at the camp.

Actually don't. I lived on well water most of my life.

I need to go backpacking.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That LuminAid one looks cool too. Also seems to be solar as well as USB chargeable. I was impatient and got the Luci Outdoor 2.0 immediately and it's pretty neat. I think I see the reason for the shade. When this think is inflated it's completely clear so it throws out refracted light in weird directions. I would imagine the shaded one takes care of that problem, however it probably just isn't as bright.

I wanna buy more poo poo. I'm going to get two of those inflatable kayaks and another PFD. I'll try to hold back but I love buying stuff I don't need and I can pull some mental gymnastics to convince myself that I'll need it. :downs:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

extra stout posted:

Do you have a Mora knife yet? If you enjoy buying things and do not yet own a Mora knife, it is time. I have not had a chance to try out the eldris or the other little knives with lanyard things, but it's Mora so the only way it wouldn't be worth a buy is if the length or thickness of the blade don't suit whatever you need it for

I have not. I know I've heard that name before and they are pretty freaking cheap on Amazon. Any recommendations?

This Morakniv Companion Fixed Blade Was the first to pull up on Amazon. The reviews are insanely good.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yay, I'm going camping today for the first time this season. Just car camping with my nephew at Bong State Recreation Area :2bong: I'll be testing some new gear and finally going to try out my Cannondale Quick CX 3 bike, my Pelican Trailblazer, and the Challenger K1 inflatable kayak. I might take pics, I might not. The terrain is poo poo around here so it's not very pretty. Just light forest and rolling plains/farmland. When I go up north more the terrain gets cooler.

That's my pre-camping story!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Frogg Toggs?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Leperflesh posted:

:words: about binoculars

Wow, that was really informative.

I have a pair of binoculars that I got a while back. I've only used them once for a local bird watching hike. It was overcast and raining so it wasn't the best day but I learned a little bit, and naturally forgot it. They worked just fine and I plan on taking them hiking now. I don't remember where or when I got them, at least 5 years ago, but I got the Bushnell Trophy Binoculars, 8x32. They are more of a budget pair but I know nothing about binoculars and they work I guess. Clear image, focuses just fine I guess. I don't have any experience so I don't know if they're good or bad. Decent amazon reviews I suppose.

Anyway, I want to take them hiking with me next time. Probably just to check out birds or something. Not sure.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 12, 2019

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I bought some stuff for myself for unknown reasons. I don't do winter camping and doubt I could take it even though I want to try. Eh, buying gear is fun.

Sea to Summit Aeros Premium Pillow

Nemo Men's Disco 15-Degree Insulated Down Sleeping Bag

TOAKS Titanium 750ml Pot

Sea to Summit X Mug

I got the pot because last time I went camping I just used Mountain House stuff so I just need something to boil water in. I don't need a full cook set. I wanted a new sleep system since I think my other bag is for warmer weather, my old pad got numerous holes in it, and I can't find my pillow. For the pad I have a Sleepingo Ultra Light. It's pretty great for the price. I haven't backpacked yet due to not knowing how the hell to get started so I'm mostly just car camping. Anyway, the pillow has a nice cutout for your shoulder. I'm a side/stomach only sleeper. I have apnea and can't sleep on my back. I've done a few sleep studies and they said, I quote, "You sleep violently." So that's also why I got the spoon shaped bag to give my legs more room for flailing.

I tried out the system on NYE to see how it'd work out and I slept like poo poo. I ended up having to use my normal bedroom pillow halfway through the night. Although I tested the pillow itself in my bed and it was excellent. I know I had too much caffeine on NYE so that may have disrupted my sleep. I have numerous sleep disorders so this is a really big deal for me. Last time I went camping I got no sleep one night, that's when I found my old pad died, and spent most of the next day in my car trying to sleep.

Another thing that sucks is I use a CPAP. I'm not morbidly obese or anything, I had apnea when I was down to 155lbs. I know I can't take that backpacking with me but it'd be nice to use it for car camping. Although I'd rather try to sleep without it to get used to it so I can survive backpacking. The portable batteries I've seen are like $400 so that's not too high on my priority list.

Anyway. That's the stuff I got.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

-Anders posted:

I love my Sea to summit Aeros pillow. My wife loves hers too. They weigh next to nothing and take up very little space. I like how you can adjust the firmness by letting out a little air.

:hmmyes:

I just bought one a few months ago for.... I don't know what reasons. I'm preparing for Spring I guess. I lost my other pillow and did a bunch of research and landed on the Sea to Summit Aeros Premium Pillow.

It is a tiny bit crinkly but doesn't bother me at all. I have a bunch of sleep disorders including (doctor's words) I "sleep violently," and my last time camping I got almost no sleep one night. My Thermarest got a hole in it and I couldn't sleep on the hard ground. I ended up sleeping a few hours in my car the next day but I felt terrible. I tested this pillow in my house one night and it was excellent. I tried it on the floor once with my new pad and bag and that didn't work out as well but in my bed it was great. I have to try on the floor again though.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Sure sounds like you might be better served with a hammock, duder.

If he's a side sleeper then I don't see how that'd work.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I couldn't imagine sleeping in a hammock. I mean, how does it not bend your body in the wrong direction besides on your back? I just can't picture how that'd be comfortable.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Sorry, didn't see where you'd mentioned you're a side sleeper. I won't speak to side/stomach sleeping in a hammock, since those other two goons can probably share their experiences, but on the topic of CPAP machines, GoalZero updated their Sherpa 100 into two models, the AC with an outlet, and the PD that's just USB-C. Based on the old model and some casual googling, you could probably get about 18-20 hours on a single charge, with solar panels to top it off during the day. Retail is $300, but I got mine on sale over the holidays, down to $200. That's if you're concerned about size. They have cut the price on their older Yeti 150 down to $200 retail, and could probably get through a weekend + juicing up your phone off that.

I should really look into some sort of way to get my CPAP working.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
It'd never work for me because I move around a LOT in my sleep. I can't just pick a position and wake up like that. Although it would be neat to actually successfully use one once.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Do you have an example of one lying flat? My brain can just not comprehend the physics of something where all of the weight is in the middle of it and now bowing. If you have a tight string, as tight as it can possibly get, and you put a very very light weight in the middle, it will bow. Even steel wire will. For it to lay flat, not sort of flat, but flat, I'd have to put a piece of plywood in it.

I just bought this Nemo Equipment Disco 15 Sleeping Bag and it's great. It's "spoon" shaped to provide more room for your legs to move around. I just can't do mummy bags. It doesn't physically work for me. With my old one I had to keep it unzipped all the way in order to move. I sleep with one leg out to the side. My knee almost at a 90 degree angle from my body and I sleep on my stomach a lot. Even in this one I have it zipped down a bit but it covers more of me and if it were really cold I'd probably be able to tolerate it.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 19, 2020

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Yooper posted:

REI offers this guy. I'd like to hear more from someone who has an asym model myself. I'm in need of a solo tent and thinking of getting one of these.

GIS brings up this graphic which shows a diagonal to the line of the hammock.

That first one looks really cool. If I were to get a hammock it'd probably be something like that.

FCKGW posted:

I just bought this bag over Christmas as well. Haven't had a chance to use it but I've struggled with mummy bags for a long time. Hoping it's warm enough.

It says it goes down to 30F but I heard you should add 10 degrees to any bag. I doubt I'd do well if it's too cold but maybe the 50s would work.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That's interesting. Thanks for the explanation.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Breath Ray posted:

what are some good folding camping chairs that have some kind of back to them and fold down nice and small? drinkholder optional. couldnt see this addressed on first or last page...

I got these Sportneer Camping Backpacking Chair.

It's $59 for two of them. I haven't used them in the field yet but they're reasonably comfortable and are rated to the standard goon 350lbs. They're just 1lb.

I'm a bargain shopper.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Does anyone have any tips for summer camping? We had a pretty cold Spring this year and for some other reasons I wasn't able to go camping at all. Now it's summer and hot as poo poo. I'm in Wisconsin so the humidity is around 60-80% which really blows. I really want to get out and do something though. I usually feel decent enough, with my broke brain, during the summer months to actually do stuff but it's always the worst part of the year. I don't want to die out in the woods atm.

Last time I went camping was 2 years ago and I got zero sleep the first night, the heat was part of it, and ended sleeping a big part of the day away in my car the next day. I'll be car camping since I don't know how to go backpacking around here and have never done it before despite having all of the gear. I'll be by myself too since no one I know is into this stuff. I ordered a small fan on amazon that I plan on putting on the roof pocket of my old REI Half Dome (1 plus?) facing down. As suggested earlier I'll probably get a site with electricity so I can try out my CPAP while camping. That might be a game changer.

I know there isn't really much else I can do besides maybe get naked. I don't like being naked though. I'm basically a never-nude. I asked in the YLLS hiking thread about keeping sweat out of my eyes and a few people mentioned a buff which I also just ordered. Sounds perfect for that sort of thing.

Do any of you guys camp during the hot summer months? Anything you do differently? Any specific gear you use?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I've been all over meetup.com for just about anything I'm interested in and have had zero luck finding a group of people in my area that aren't over 50.

I don't work or go to school so I have no way of meeting people near me.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Yooper posted:

I'm north of you, but my summer camping involves going North. I'll watch the weather on the Lake Superior shore and when it looks like a tolerable weekend, I go. Find a camping place within a mile or two of the big lake, whammo it's only 65f. You've got from Ashland to Hurley, not to mention the entire North Shore in Minnesota and the UP. If you're in Kenosha or something it's going to be a long drive, but it's coming up on some awesome camping weather in a few weeks. Recreation.gov is a good planning spot for federal stuff.

I'm in Kenosha. :suicide:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
So I've been thinking. All I do is car camping (so far, I REALLY want to backpack) but all I have is backpacking gear. Every time I camp I say it's to "test" out the backpacking gear that I never use for backpacking. I think it's time I buy stuff to camp in the most comfortable way I can. That'll get me outside more.

I think I'm really going to have to add to my inventory. Which unfortunately I love buying gear. I'm not sure exactly what I need but here's what I'm thinking so far.

Bigger tent
Bigger sleeping pad/blanket/something to lay on
Maybe a small table
Possibly a nice mess kit that I can clean easy. I have a small one that looks like a triangle and has a spork but a slightly bigger one would be nicer
I have a small cooking kit with what I think is a titanium nonstick pot but maybe I could use a pan to make eggs or something
Not sure what else

I need to take inventory of what I have and will need and whatever I can do to make camping more comfortable. I'm sure my nephew would enjoy it a whole lot more than using my MSR pocket rocket just to boil water for every meal. I have a small two burner propane stove.

For those of you that car camp, what are the things you bring for comfort or to make it more fun?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Fitzy Fitz posted:

otoh I just got a new Nemo bag and I think I love it. It's violin shaped, which gives you extra knee room and lets you sleep on your side without rotating the bag itself. It's extremely comfortable.

I just got one of these a few months ago and used it this summer. It's the Nemo Disco 15. Somehow it got down to the 40s during the night and I was super comfortable. I'm a side/stomach sleeper and when I had my last sleep study done they said I "sleep violently" lol. I kick and toss and turn in my sleep so hearing about "spoon" shaped bags made me super excited. It was excellent. My most comfortable sleep ever while camping (in a sleeping bag).

Although I went all out last time since I was taking my nephew car camping. I've never been backpacking despite owning a bunch of backpacking gear. I don't know anyone else who ever camps or especially backpacks so I'd have to do it alone and I don't know where to start finding out where or how I can backpack. I usually use an old REI Half Dome 2 (I think) and a foam/air thermarest pad that died last year. This last time I bought a Coleman 4 person tent, one of those big inflatable air mattresses with a motor in it that you keep for guests sleeping at your house, and brought my pillow from home. I also got an electric site and brought my CPAP lol. It was so good.

I want to try camping this fall/winter but I've never done it before and absolutely hate the cold but I only went camping once this year and I need more. I'm going to have to learn how to do it. It'll be alone of course so I'll have to find a way to occupy myself besides just hiking since it's not like I can go kayaking and biking would kind of suck with the cold wind.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 24, 2020

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah, I got the Disco! I'd never bought any of Nemo's stuff before, but I'm really impressed with the construction quality compared to my old Marmot bag. No more 15-degree nights in a 40-degree bag.

You should give solo camping a try if you're at all interested. Once I've met my needs (shelter, food, water), I enjoy just taking in my surroundings and reflecting. It feels like a reward after the hard work of planning, driving, hiking, and setting up camp. If you need ideas for places, I usually use a mix of AllTrails, freecampsites.net, and the Cycle Map layer on OpenStreetMap.

I'm really bad at finding places to camp. I always go to structured car camping camp grounds. The one I go by me is just 25 minutes away. Bong Recreation Area (heh). It's not that great. Nothing to do but a few trails and it's pretty flat here in SE WI. I've gone to Kettle Moraine Southern Unit before and it's only 1 hour away and the terrain is much better but they're closed after October. There's probably other places within a few hours from me but I'm pretty anxious and am a bit afraid to plan by myself. I guess I don't really have a choice though.

I checked out that freecampsites.net and everything within 2-3 hours near me is just allowing RVs in parking lots.

Anyone know of any places to camp within driving distance of southeast Wisconsin? Backpacking would be the best but really anything would do. Maybe not the best idea to try backpacking for the first time alone but it's not like anyone else will do it with me so my options are limited.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

starbucks hermit posted:

Richard Ira Bong?

not gonna lie, I actually kinda want to go to pick up cheese curds nearby

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3934225

I pass Mars Cheese Castle on the way to Bong. :smug:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I was watching a program on TV once with a former Spetsnaz guy and he did this.

Just watch the first 6 or so seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0E6oDvjLUs

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I went on a 5.38 mile hike today in 29F weather. I recently got a buff and those things are amazing for both hot and cold weather. I've used it twice now and this summer it was great wrapped around my head to keep sweat out of my eyes. And today it was great as a gaiter around my neck, mouth and nose. Also sock liners are awesome. I didn't even get a single hot spot and my hiking boots are maybe half a size too short.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Chard posted:

i dunno, as a side sleeper who also thrashes from side to side all night, being locked into one side seems worse than finagling a traditional mummy bag around me

Agreed 100%. It just looks like a mummy bag with the hood on the side and a curved leg area. The Nemo Disco has an enlarged leg area so you can thrash around freely.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I just get a TON of wool socks from Costco. They're cheap, comfortable, and super durable. I even wear them in the summer. I literally have about 20 pairs.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

KozmoNaut posted:

Wool socks forever. They're just so much better than cotton socks, it's ridiculous.

:hmmyes:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Sab669 posted:

Do you guys wear them day to day, or just for active use?

I've only ever owned 1 pair of wool socks in my life, some Carhartt wool blend advertised as a "boot sock" I bought off Amazon 8 years ago for $14. They're nice over my "regular" socks in the winter when it's mega cold, or snowboarding

Every single day. Even in the summer in 90F heat and 90% humidity. They wick sweat, but my feet don't sweat anyway so I don't know how good they are at it.

My socks are really thick too. Doesn't matter. Wool is the poo poo.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
drat, it's starting to get to that time of year where I start buying tons of hiking/camping gear I don't need. My basement "outdoors" section is already full and overflowing into the middle of the room.