Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rob Rockley posted:

Seconded, hard. I live in SoCal so there's all this great land but everything that doesn't require some form of permit is ridiculously remote. I'm extremely interested in dispersed camping as there's massive tracts of national forest right nearby but hardly know where to start.

Where in SoCal? San Diego? The 909? The 949? The 213?

Everything requires a permit because people are always trashing the campgrounds and someone's gotta clean the place, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rob Rockley posted:

San Diego incidentally but there's a lifetimes worth of hiking in the area and it's all within a few hours drive. I get why there's permits and would not prefer the alternative. I carry a trash bag with me every time I hike and most times I use it. But it is a barrier to entry for those of us that are interested but don't know where to start. There's lots of resources for big trails and peaks and lots of discussion about gear and the details of actually of hiking, but not dispersed camping or the like. It would be extremely helpful discussion especially since we have a revitalized outdoors subforum everyone's looking at now.

Ah, just curious. I live in orange county and I love desert camping but joshua tree is so far. I haven't ever been to anza borrego which is more your corner of the state, except for watching the superbloom. I figure I need an all-wheel-drive to camp anywhere nice.

Anyways, I bought a bunch of camping gear earlier this year including a cool propane stove and now I have to find someplace to use it that's not flammable. Jetboils are nice but it doesn't give the same feeling that I had in scouts when we used propane stoves.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Verman posted:

- getting off the beaten trail, even in the woods, a certain forest road might be the Backcountry equivalent of the highway because it's the only road that loops back to the highway or to another point of interest. Look for some pull offs to see where they go. You can usually find good camping at dead ends in logging roads. Gps and a map are always a good idea. Forest roads can be a labyrinth and it's easy to get lost.

Just a tip for anyone who wants to use a map. See if you can also score a compass (preferably a real one with a mirror) so that you can use the local geography to locate yourself. On the other hand, a lot of phones have a built in compass that would probably work in a pinch.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

What is the thread's opinion on renewing the waterproofing and weather sealing on tents? I have a REI Arete ASL 4-season tent that has had some use but I recently had to clear out all the polyurethane flakes and now I'm not confident enough to take it snow camping.

REI actually has some tips about this: https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/how-to-waterproof-a-tent.html

However, I'd like to know what y'all do. Is it worth it to go through the above process? Or is it better to just get a new tent? Or do you have repair places that can do it for a reasonable fee?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

FogHelmut posted:

I also live in Orange County, and Joshua Tree is only 2.5 to 3 hours away. Admittedly 5 if it's Friday afternoon on the 91.

Anza Borrego also in the 2.5 to 3 hour range.

:colbert: ok you got me but I still want to go to anza borrego

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

thatguy posted:

I have 3 inreach devices on the company flex plan or whatever, it's basically one 35 dollar activation fee, then I pay 20 dollars per device per month for 10 messages, and it's .50 a message for every message over that. I found out quickly that's far cheaper than paying for the unlimited plan which is like 65 a month. When I'm not using it, I pay a $5 a month storage fee or whatever they call it. It works for us because we use them for 6ish months at a time. They have a couple rules about activation/deactivation but they're not hard, and all I do is sync up the device and it immediately starts working once I activate them. Their site isn't great but it isn't horrible, and I've had 2 emergency situations they were used for, one was for evac for somebody else my guys came upon and the other we were able to solve without so, useful enough.

I have an inReach, works for peace of mind but make sure (of course) that you have clear skies to gain access.

I have a "freedom plan" where you pay $25 annually and you can, per-month, activate or deactivate your subscription (I use a $15/mo subscription).

So, to break down the numbers, you are either paying about $2/mo for a suspended plan (but you can quickly convert to an active plan with no additional cost) or $17/mo for an active subscription (since you add an additional $2 to do the freedom plan).

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

pumped up for school posted:

I am very tempted for the 4-person. Hell I might get the 2-person to replace my other knockoff that is a good foot shorter, lengthwise.

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever tried any of Monoprice's tents? The cables are really top notch but everything else (particularly complex electronics or home appliances) are a bit hit and miss.

Their aluminum hiking trekking poles seem to work fine though :shrug:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

ROFLburger posted:

for those of you with several sleeping bags, how do you stagger the temps? i have a 45 and a 30 degree bag and now that winter's approaching i'm looking to buy some colder ones. thinking i might get a 15 degree bag and a -5 degree bag as i mostly camp in southwest US. not sure if i should have 45/30/15/-5 spread or maybe 45/30/10/-10? i don't think i'll be camping anywhere colder than negative single digits. how do you guys buy different bags by temperature?

Verman posted:

So is doubling up on your insulation from the ground. Combining a closed cell foam pad with an insulated air pad will increase the insulation from the cold ground, you'll see a lot of mountaineers doing this.

My only worry with double bagging is that down (and most insulation in general) works best when the insulation (feathers/down) is lofted. When you compress that insulation (by laying on top of it, or by adding a layer on top of it), make sure its not heavy enough to compress the insulation and limit its performance. Again, its all theory in my head as I've never tried it.

there are so many more variables to consider when snow camping, but the most important is insulation from the ground. I really suggest making sure you bring two pads (I would suggest 1x foam snd 1x air, as suggested above) if you want to get any sleep.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'm really bad at finding places to camp. I always go to structured car camping camp grounds. The one I go by me is just 25 minutes away. Bong Recreation Area (heh). It's not that great. Nothing to do but a few trails and it's pretty flat here in SE WI. I've gone to Kettle Moraine Southern Unit before and it's only 1 hour away and the terrain is much better but they're closed after October. There's probably other places within a few hours from me but I'm pretty anxious and am a bit afraid to plan by myself. I guess I don't really have a choice though.

I checked out that freecampsites.net and everything within 2-3 hours near me is just allowing RVs in parking lots.

Anyone know of any places to camp within driving distance of southeast Wisconsin? Backpacking would be the best but really anything would do. Maybe not the best idea to try backpacking for the first time alone but it's not like anyone else will do it with me so my options are limited.

Richard Ira Bong?

not gonna lie, I actually kinda want to go to pick up cheese curds nearby

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3934225

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Verman posted:

Yes! How could I forget. I also have these gives and they're nice. Great snug fit and good texture. Plus they're cheap. I keep these in my car emergency kit.

Usually when I see them, I look at the care instructions and they're "spot clean only", which precludes a ride in the washer or even hand washing.

Do you guys usually just hand wash them anyway?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I have those gloves and wash them in the machine like I would a t-shirt and havent had any issues.

The little rubber grip parts wore off after one year, but otherwise they're holding up strong.

Yeah, I'm a little worried about the composite construction but I guess if it still keeps warm then it doesn't really matter.

I have some outdoor research liner gloves that I keep around but maybe I'll get one or to Head ones just in case.

Probably won't go in to Costco this year (because of covid19), tho, so it'll have to wait a year until I pick some up.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Sab669 posted:

Ever see that Mitch Hedberg bit about his dry clean only shirt? :v:

funny enough, I think "spot clean only" even precludes dry cleaning

not that I would dry clean anything except a suit or a nice coat... everything else I have is just fine with going through the washer

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

highme posted:

Just wandered into my local REI to return some bike fenders and discovered they have started putting any garage sale type of items on the sales floor with the rest of things. Conveniently enough, I found the fenders I was going to get instead of what I was returning in a Garage Sale bin (as well as a nice pair of polarized Chromapop Smith glasses, a Sawyer water filtration kit and some bike lights).

What kind of Sawyer did you get? I'm thinking about getting a water filtration kit and I've heard good things about them.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Thanks everyone for the recommendations! I just need a filter for myself so the sawyer's probably what I'll get, but the gravityworks is definitely on the wish list in case I want to camp with more people at a place with a ready (but unsafe) water source.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

OSU_Matthew posted:

Protip on the BeFree filters—I have a wound irrigation syringe in my medical kit that does double duty for spritzing sediment off the filter element if you’re someplace that doesn’t have enough stream flow or depth to give it a good shake in the water.

A wound irrigation syringe is always the first thing I get taught in wilderness first aid to put in the kit and also the thing that never ends up in the bag because I forget about it. This is a great tip, thanks!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

xzzy posted:

The atmos 65 is so common you'll want to customize your bag somehow (ribbons, stitches, anything colorful) so it's visually distinct from all the others. If you ever end up in a spot where hikers congregate for a while it's important to do what you can to make sure no one heads off into the hills with the wrong bag.

Probably a smart move for any bag but Osprey bags are so common it seems doubly important.

I guess it's smartest to just never let the bag outside arms reach but in my experience that doesn't happen, people descend on shelters after a rain and explode out of their bags trying to dry everything out.

I had to leave my pack behind while trying to summit mt whitney because my buddies said that I needed to lose the weight.

Turns out that marmots got in the pack and ate everything. I should have taken the pack with me... it would have actually been much easier because I would have had more hands to hold trekking poles and water.

Well... hard earned experience, I guess.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

drat, it's starting to get to that time of year where I start buying tons of hiking/camping gear I don't need. My basement "outdoors" section is already full and overflowing into the middle of the room.

Same here. And I'll be buying new boots too.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Except I don't have a basement. Just a coat closet. With no coats, unless you want to wrap a sleeping bag over your shoulders.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I like bladders when going on day hikes. I use my TETON Sports Oasis 1100 Hydration Pack which I really like. Sometimes I just put a Smart Water bottle in the side pockets but it's can be slightly annoying to swing the pack off of one shoulder to take it out. Plus it's a bit tall so sometimes I just use a nalgene bottle. (edit: I responded before I read all of the replies so I guess I do what all of you guys do too lol)

Anyone have any essentials they take on a day hike? I understand like..... shoes and a phone is all you really need. But I like having stuff. I even bring a GPS so I can "ugh" about how much more trail I have left until I finish.

Emergency shelter (just a poncho), first aid kit, and duct tape. Just in case.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Gonna 2nd the platypus big zip. Been a standard in my kit for years.

I had a friend that lost his bite valve while we were hiking half dome and it wouldn't stop leaking, obviously. So, I guess, just make sure you have a nalgene handy if that happens, so that you can disconnect the hose and drink from the nalgene instead.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

armorer posted:

While what you say makes sense from a "be prepared" standpoint, there's no way in hell I'm carrying an empty nalgene around if I've decided to use my water bladder that day. I've never had a bite valve just come off randomly, or anything even close to that really.

Fair enough. I find that I tend to be overprepared for too many things. An empty nalgene really does take up a lot of room.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Verman posted:

For a lost bite valve, you can tie the hose in a knot and elevate it on your strap to keep it from spilling. You can also just use a piece of tape to cover it up for the time being or fashion a plug out of something to put in the hose tip, or maybe fold the hose over and use a hair tie or a rubber band to pinch it off. Just have to get creative. If the bladder still holds water and the only leak is where the bite valve was, its pretty easy to still continue using that bladder, yeah it might be a little inconvenient but you'll get through the trip. If the bladder was cut and unable to hold water, different story. With many of the bladders (platypus and osprey from my experience), they have quick disconnects so that you can have a full bladder and remove the hose without spilling any water. It would be less than ideal but you still have a device capable of holding water even if the bite valve is missing. As someone else has said though, in all my years and miles doing this, I have literally never once lost a bite valve on a hydration bladder. I'm sure it happens but Ive never had an issue.

Consensus was that he left the bite valve at home and, at the time, he opted to just try not to spill. We're still alive so it generally worked out. Losing bite valves is not an issue. It is just majorly inconvenient if you forgot it while cleaning.

Today, I would have disconnected the hose and filled a nalgene. Probably the same solution I would use if I wanted to carry a lot of water but couldn't use the hose.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

FCKGW posted:

I have a 3L bladder but that’s because I hike in SoCal and water refills are scarce. I also carry a Nalgene but just clip it to the outside of the back so it doesn’t take up any space. I use it for cook prep or for energy drink tablets (my go-to drink enhancer)

:same:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I don't carry much in my daypack. I have bug spray which is a requirement in WI and a small first aid kit I put together from items from multiple Adventure Medical Kits. Mostly band aids, mole skin, antibiotic gel, ibuprofen and allergy meds, etc. I might have a multitool in there, not sure if I do and not sure why.

I'm going to throw a poncho and emergency blanket in there. Any other ideas? I love gear. I probably use like 10% of the stuff I have but I like it anyway drat it.

Maybe a whistle? If you have one that doesn't have the ball in there then it will work in more conditions.

I agree that a handheld radio would not be useful unless someone is listening. And they'd probably have to be nearby, given that your handheld radio would not likely be very powerful, unless you are hiking near a repeater and ... etc ... although you know more about this stuff since I don't even have my ham license yet.

Getting a satellite communicator is not terribly necessary if you at least let someone know that you're going hiking. And then, have them call the cavalry (but calling you first, in case you forget) if you don't check in. Still, you can sometimes pick up a satellite messenger for cheap, but keep in mind that you always need to pay subscription fees. For garmins, that's about $15/mo (but cheaper plans exist for intermittent use).

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

First aid kits discussed are pretty good from what I've seen.

I've had wilderness first aid training awhile back, and I think they would also recommend:
  • compression wraps for sprained ankles
  • irrigating syringe to clean out wounds

Irrigating syringes are blunt, from what I recall. Don't carry around a syringe that is sharper than it needs to be. If you are picking one up for your kit, then make sure you know it's for and how to use it. Always use clean water, preferably distilled.

I forgot how to apply compression wraps so I need a friend who is available that is ok with me touching their feet. Anyone available?

If you plan on bringing a first aid book (or pamphlet), make sure you read it first, before you go!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Oh I've fallen for that before. I swear to god if you jerk off on my feet again....

that's why we use the lighter to burn the hair off

wait, I think that's for AEDs

I think I need a refresher

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I jealously guard my first aid kit because it's where I keep my spare match and tinder in a film canister and it's impossible for me to find spare film canisters anymore

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

xzzy posted:

If you know any diabetics get a test strip canister, about the closest modern equivalent you can get. They have a desiccant in them too!

Diabetes runs in the family :smith: but at least I can stave it off by hiking. We've all been staving it off by hiking. Thanks for the tip!

poeticoddity posted:

This got me wondering (because I was a photo technician while on summer/winter break in 2007 and haven't looked for film since then) and apparently you can just buy film canisters in bulk on Amazon.
Neat.

Nice. But they come in packs of 60 for $12. Anyone (with prime) want to split a set? I only need, like, one. Maybe two.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Casu Marzu posted:

I shoot film so I have plenty lying around. If you wanted to PM me your address, I can toss a couple in the mail in the next week or so, whenever I venture into the outside again.

Thank you for the offer but I'll be fine. I shoudn't be making any more emergency firestarter kits anyway, seeing as how I live in California and all.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I do it every time 1. because I’m paranoid about theft and 2. UV can really gently caress up your tent, especially in like the high desert summer

This is also what I believe as well, and I'm pretty sure that my tent manual says as much.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Casu Marzu posted:

Word. The InReach month to month doesn't seem like a bad price for possibly breaking a leg or getting chomped on by a bear and not dying a slow miserable death.

I agree, and it's also very useful to just provide peace of mind to anyone worried about you because you can send simple messages and location data for free. And I think you can also send and receive a couple non-complex messages for free per month as part of your subscription.

EDIT: with simple PLBs, you just have the panic button and nothing else.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

1redflag posted:

I have the bear vault BV450 and it’s fine enough, although I think it’s easier to crack (and easier to pack) than the styles w the inset tops.

I have the bv450 too, I think. I like it, but I had a hell of a time getting it open in the field, for some reason. Turns out that if my hands are cold and numb, it is much harder to open a bear canister!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Once I went on a group snow camping trip and my dad convinced me to take his snow boots. The boots that he never used and sat exposed in his garage for years. Upon a few hours into the trip, the rubber cracked into splinters.

Thankfully, someone else had leather boots that were a bit big but otherwise perfect so that was a godsend. I think he tried returning it to REI and they gave him store credit. I don't ask him for gear tips anymore.

I now have a habit of checking all my gear yearly or every other year. I think the waterproofing has to be renewed on some tents but I think that's it.

nate fisher posted:

I am at work, but my garage has 2 large shelves full of gear, plus sleeping bags and backpacks hanging from the walls. I am bad for not getting rid of gear. Example I have a North Face Cat's Meow bag and a Peak One tent that are 25+ years old, and I haven't used either of them in 10 years. Hell I am not sure Peak One is even around any more (it was the name of Coleman's high end gear at the time). I think I hold on to it because I am a gear whore, and I am always like what if someone needs to borrow something. Plus it easier to loan out my old Osprey Exos than my Hyperlite pack (that is never going to happen).

Someone gave me crap for storing my sleeping bags into those large storage sacks instead of keeping them stuffed in the stuff sacks and I got real mad. I wish I had enough garage space to hang my sleeping bags, though. That's a pro tier move and would free up space in my coat closet. Then again, I've never seen a home in California use a coat closet for actual coats.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Verman posted:

My first backpacking tent was a passage 2 and was great (still is 9 years later). Its inexpensive, light enough to backpack with and held up for this long and still looks practically new. No holes, rips or tears. I re-waterproofed it once. It is a little bulky and I'm surprised it hasn't lost any weight over the years and iterations. It's pretty feature rich and almost impossible to beat for the price. Simple to set up, poles are basic. Upgrade the stakes to aluminum msr type . I've slept two people in it several times without issue. I've been in it under 5 inches of snow, in 40mph winds, in day long rain storms. If I were on a budget or buying my first tent, I wouldn't hesitate buying it.

I've since upgraded to a Nemo hornet which is less than half the weight and significantly smaller.

What do you do to re-waterproof?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Verman posted:

I washed it with clean water and a very mild tech wash like nikwax tech wash (other brands will work too), then iput nikwax waterproofing in a bucket with some water and shakes my tent for a while and let it dry. I went over it again and sprayed it on for a second coat. I sprayed a solar proof on as well for extra protection.

I've used starbrite on an old car camping tent and it works really well but it smells like it definitely kills the ozone so I didn't want it in a small tent that I spend a lot of time in. I'm sure the smell would go away eventually but didn't want to risk it.

Interesting. Thank you!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

readingatwork posted:

Second, I'm interested in trying out backpacking next year and while I'm not planning on going anywhere particularly remote or exotic I'm wondering if I should invest in classes since I don't have a lot of experience. If so are there any particularly strong recommendations on that front? Also, once i know what I'm doing how safe is it to do alone? A ask because there's a decent chance I won't be able to drag any of my friends along what with it being outdoors and all (you lazy bums! :argh:).

If you are around the Los Angeles metropolitan area, I highly recommend the Sierra Club's Wilderness Travel Course if you really want to take a class. It's volunteer-led and features practical application of everything you learn in the class. Part of the graduation requirements (when I took the course) involved going on multi-day group backpacking trips, and I got to go to Mt. Davis (in the golden trout area) and Joshua Tree. It's a real investment of time, though. But the practical application of knowledge and group camaraderie were nice.

https://www.wildernesstravelcourse.org/

OSU_Matthew posted:

You might check meetup or facebook groups, or the sierra club for an older crowd if you want to find other like minded peeps to go with. Usually other people have awesome ideas or gear and it’s great to get out with others. Depends on your tolerance for meeting randos from the Internet though, but a lot of times groups will post day hikes and stuff, and you can get to know people before doing overnight stuff. I got started with a local meetup group doing weekly fitness hikes at a metro park, and learned about other groups through word of mouth.

This is great stuff. I should do more backpacking in groups this year if I can find the time.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

Nearly the same. I was in 5th grade and got a Cub Scout blue Swiss Army knife for my 10th birthday. This was the late 70's so you could still bring a knife to school without the staff even blinking an eye. So naturally I was loving around with it in class on birthday +1 day, and cut my index finger to the bone. For a split second I felt no pain and there was no visible cut. Then the blood began to flow. All over the place. To her credit the teacher just looked at me and said "Cat rear end, just go to the school nurse and don't make a mess of things."

I did not want my parents to find out about my dumbassery. A trip to the nurses office always meant a call home. So I stopped by the art supply closet and just taped the would shut with some colored electrical tape.

Only within the past decade has the scar faded away. So I will remain wary about using my knew knife in a responsible manner.

I also bought a compass. I don't think I can hurt myself with that.

a compass can only hurt if it gets you lost, maybe

or if you blind yourself with the mirror

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

highme posted:

The Kingdom 4 and 6, the mud room and footprints are all on sale at REI for 40% off right now.

I did it. I saw all the recs and I had to do it. Now to go camping...idyllwild (or joshua tree), here I come

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

guppy posted:

I'm not going to be doing any hardcore camping in Finland or whatever but I guess I would like winter to be an option.

Snow camping changes many of the requirements of your gear, so you may have to pick up specific pieces for winter car camping in snowy conditions (or really any conditions where it's cold enough to form ice). On top of my head, they are:
  • A four-season tent (any other standard tent is known as 3-season tents)
  • zero degree sleeping bag
  • two sleeping pads per person. Generally one will be closed cell, and the other one is inflatable. Otherwise, your heat will seep into the ground and you won't be able to sleep.
  • winter clothes, etc.

You will also have to consider how freezing temps may affect your gear and prepare accordingly.

If you live in places like California (excluding the mountains or the rare times that it snows in Los Angeles) then it's not cold enough to snow so the above precautions aren't as necessary.

sb hermit fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Terminus posted:

Looks like the REI Arete ASL 2 is on sale as well(50% off). Anyone have an option on it? I've been looking for a "good enough" 4 season tent for winter car camping.

To be clear, that's the arete asl 2 2018 (now $198). The more modern one is still $400.

I have an arete asl 2 that I used for snow camp in 2015 and it was adequate. Good enough for 2 people as long as (of course) your gear is kept in the vestibule instead of actually in the tent. Lighter than my 3 season tents, so I took it on all my backpacking trips. But it can tear easily if you don't take good care of it... I didn't anchor mine down in one windy summer and it somersaulted through the sierras and gained a tear that I had to fix. I think REI evaluated the fix for free and I ended up paying for it without too much consideration.

I still have to find time to waterproof it some day. I've got some good memories with it.