Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

So the Ravager council is Sly Stallone, Michelle Yeoh, Ving Rhames, Miley Cyress and Majordomo Executus. Important for Vol 3 or setting something up so Thanos has someone to tear apart like tissue paper next may?

I think he just wanted to bring in the original Guardians of the Galaxy as he was killing off one of them, but they are cool enough and have a cast list of notable enough people that they could always do something with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Be honest, did you lose a bet?

e:

got any sevens posted:

Shouldve played Cat's in the Cradle at the end

That's a song about bad dads and wouldn't apply to this movie.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

that bit with the other Ravagers really took me out of it, actually. the movie can't make up its mind whether they're an honorable outlaw kingdom or a pack of vicious, idiotic cutthroats

......no it's pretty simple. The Ravagers in general are space pirates with an ethos, Yondu's Ravagers are even more amoral in their quest to get paid. Yondu himself is generally a pretty ok guy who made some bad choices. I mean he was already established as a softy with the troll doll in the first one, it's not like the movie reinvented him or something. What was hard about that for you to grasp?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

It was very clear to me that the week after the first Guardians came out and everyone flipped a poo poo over him in the credits (which was a cute/fun little joke) that Disney went to Gunn and said "Groot's a baby now" and Gunn just rolled with it.

Nah, it's a small part but it's fairly central to the themes of fathers and sons for this movie, as well as the theme of family in general they roll with. And he is a baby. He's not just a tinier stupid Groot, he really is needy and fussy and selfish and silly in the ways a toddler would be, and the group comes together to raise him. Right down to Peter saying he knows how Yondu felt when he has to deal with surly rear end in a top hat teen Groot. I wouldn't lose him for anything, that's a hell of a scene with him and Peter sitting and listening to music.

quote:

Also the Sovereign were kinda pointless. I liked Ayesha as a character but it felt very artificial to bring them into the final battle, as if fighting Ego alone wasn't enough.

Hilariously fighting Ego wasn't enough, and they would have taken care of him just fine if they didn't show up to make things harder.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Did MoS look that lovely originally or is that more of his terrible screen cap degradation?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

why do they all speak english. why are most of them either human or humanoid despite the fact any alien species would actually be completely different from us in almost inconceivable ways. why is rocket a raccoon.

Because the Celestials made most if not all life, and they like to watch it all bang each other out.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Take a lap.

Franchescanado posted:

His name is Kraglin. I don't know if he's from any of the comics, but he's played by James Gunn's brother, Sean Gunn.

edit: He also does all the motion capture for Rocket.

Dude does movie work hour days crouching down to play a loving raccoon, and his brother is the writer/director. I don't see anyone else trying for his gig.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Your style of criticism is very reactive

All criticism is reactive friend shitposter, that's the point. If you were actually doing something of your own you wouldn't be a critic, you'd be an artist.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

You need to think proactively.

Again, no literary criticism is proactive. You are just talking about someone else's work without creating anything of worth yourself. It's an entirely reactionary undertaking. You can shitpost all you want, you don't get to pretend it's original or matters.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

You're appealing to the old rejection of literary criticism as innately parasitical.

That's just accurate. Of course it's parasitical, it lives off the work of others and gives nothing back to the process that created it. By the time there is a work to critique, it's already happened. It's effectively fan fiction with a more analytical bent. An editor at least can deconstruct the work at a point where input can actually make it better. By the time the critic sees the ship it's already sailed, and the best they can do is say "Man of Steel was a better ship".

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

That seems a bit insecure. It's okay to engage in criticism.

Unless of course it's criticism *of* criticism.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
To be fair his mom probably doesn't want to give him a song about banging kids to base his identity on.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

the father has a skeleton full of closets, he has other women and other children. These are all things that children fear.

This look into your home life explains a lot about your posting.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Children fear that their parents do not care for them. it's pretty basic.

Most actually don't, as healthy children tend to have a nice protective sheen of nearly sociopathic self-interest by and large. It's only later in life that they develop the scope to actually consider the self in relation to others in such a way as to go "What if everything I believe is just a lie and reality is actually far different?". Children that actually wonder if everything is secretly horrible are rare [Not massively so, but still] and often given a reason to question. Be it some tragedy or poor parenting.

Which were you?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

You seem to have lost focus from comic book movies and how the villain in GotG2 is an ineffective mix of poorly-articulated father-son worries and sci-fi concepts.

No I'm pretty sure nothing you've said has ever actually been about movies.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Or he's comparing you to someone who died because they were too stupid to let a point go.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

ruddiger posted:

Coporate feels is the perfect

Type of thing to come out of the mouth of someone that needs their shirt pulled up over the head while people kick them in the rear end for 5 minutes?

Yes. Yes it is.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Hahahaha

You actually want someone to get beaten up because they didn't like Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2.

I think you'll find I've spent nearly all my time making fun of people for who they are rather than their criticisms of the movie :smug:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Well yes, that's what makes it doubly pathetic.

Would you like to post a grainy photo of Man of Steel about it?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

GotG movies are unimpressive past the immediate observation that they're colourful and sometimes pretty. Hitch-Hiker's for example shows how forgettable GotG 1&2 are for massive sci-fi adventure extravaganzas.

The reaction that visuals don't matter is predictable.

If it's predictable why are you still here?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

So what's incorrect with the criticism that the MCU can't approach sex in a healthy manner, for example?

The assumption that you have any idea what healthy sex is like.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

ruddiger posted:

I am most definitely not

No see your personal attacks are cool because you don't like the actions of the people you are attacking, but other people's personal attacks aren't because you want to seem morally superior.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

GoldfishStew posted:

Sorry y'all like basic flicks. Enjoy transformers.

It's a pretty great animated film, and it had loving everybody on the planet voicing someone in it. They even snagged Orson Wells. What the hell is wrong with you that you don't appreciate that film?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

Featuring songs by Weird Al Yankovic.

Pretty much unquestionably the greatest DEVO song of all time, as even they would admit.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

GoldfishStew posted:

Lol these cats dont even want to admit or discus this movies flaws or shortcomings. They just want to jerk off over some CGI.

Nobody wants to discuss the movie, they want to dump on you. That's what you signed up for when you became the new Lamps. If you didn't want the job, why did you run for it?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Lt. Danger posted:

I'm gonna hazard Hot Fuzz as a good comedy movie with visuals that are both funny and 'cinematic'.

To be fair a lot [Not all mind you, but a lot] is intentionally copying the visuals of the action movies it is referencing. So it's easier to have a striking cinematic look when you are shot for shot remaking a perfectly done scene from another movie. Not a pass, you still have to execute, but you certainly have the blueprint in front of you. The comedy is often [Again, not always, sometimes it's a bit more subtle or nuanced] then taking the high stakes action movie shot and setting it in a quiet English town. Doesn't make it less enjoyable, but it does take it down a few notches in originality of vision.

GoldfishStew posted:

Finally, one other person who isn't sucking this movies (yondus?) dick.

A sizable portion of his life to date has been talking about the movie since it came out. There is no greater sign of it's importance as a work of art than someone dedicating their life to examining it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I find it interesting that is the one your mind goes to. Mine is the Bad Boys II tracking shot remake.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

It's a comedic translation of his comic counterpart's desperate desire to be a hero onto the big screen.

The comic counterpart is a stone motherfucker who mind controlled the Guardians of the Galaxy into forming in the first place. He is.....not very comparable to the movie Quill except in the broad strokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Lt. Danger posted:

As shown in Guy A. Person's video, most of the funniest shots in Hot Fuzz aren't visual references to other movies - they're original compositions and they often convey some meaning or emotion in addition to the humour. The point is, it's not an either/or thing; a movie can have good cinematography that's also funny at the same time. GotG2 is better than GotG1 is better than most Marvel movies, but a lack of visual flair is a legit criticism. No one has actually disagreed with this charge, only excused it.

The final "Things other directors should do like him" reel has a number of things that are done in basically all his movies. So yeah, quite a few of his shots are him referencing other movies. It's just that some of the times those movies are his own. Which isn't to take away from those films, but as I said. It's easier to make a striking shot or comedic moment when you are just copying another one that was done before, sometimes by you yourself. By definition referencing your own work again and again isn't inventive. I love his trilogy [Never saw Scott Pilgrim, not really my bag], and there are some striking scenes, but there are far less original striking scenes in comparison to I don't know, lets say "reference" shots.

• Locked thread