Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

ronya posted:

he's got weird foreign policy hobbyhorses that the United States domestic politics also tends to be also involved in, not necessarily on the same side - you can be sure that at least someone in the Irish National Caucus wishes they were relevant again.

conversely there's an undying faith on the part of British leftists that makes them think that they are automatically invited to comment on Latin American affairs by virtue of international solidarity. This plays for their audiences but starts totally unnecessary piles of diplomatic paperwork for yours.

the popularity of "smart" sanctions instead of blunt hammers or more aggressive approaches is contingent on a certain degree of consensus, particularly amongst financial centers, as to who or what belongs on the target list.

You can be drat well sure nobody in Belgium paid any price for unanimously cheering the withdrawal from UNAMIR in 1994. Dehaenes at least has the excuse that it was Rwandans or the Euro, and he'd rather have the Euro - he plausibly didn't do it just to score points at home, although he was certainly awarded those points.

e: alternate post: because this card works much better for the USSR player

Ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

He formed governments based on the platform he argued for. There's no contradiction there.

And he specifically said he wouldn't want to win on a leftist platform. So why would anyone other than you, who appears to not care about the ideology of the party, want a Blairite government in power? Why do you even attempt to debate us? We at least like to think of ourselves as left wing. Blair doesn't want to be left wing. Why do you keep bringing up Blair?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

knox_harrington posted:

Not supporting Assad, not believing in communism and not in favour of "fomenting the overthrow of capitalism" are not that weird.

If you can look at capitalism and not think "yeah we need something to replace this" you either don't understand or you're a monster. Pick one. Money on you being a monster.

Pissflaps posted:

The Tories are shite. May is hopeless. Their campaign is garbage. Their Brexit position unravelling.

And they're going to walk this election.

Imagine what could have been if Labour had even a half way decent leadership team instead of the shower of shite its lumbered with.

Imagine if the UK population wasn't utter garbage? You keep voting Corbyn for the entirety of Britains ills and I'll blame the gobshite public for making GBS threads in their own bed.

If May is so plainly poo poo as you say, what excuse does anyone have? They don't have to vote for May just because they don't like Corbyn. They could vote for another party or not vote.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 1, 2017

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

The Insect Court posted:

Ah, the old Corbynista favorite of "Vote Corbyn or you hate the people"/"gently caress the people they won't vote Corbyn".

Can't imagine why Corbyn's going to lead Labour off a cliff in the election with effective and compelling political rhetoric like that.

*farts*

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Abbot unable to get her point across? No way. I assume she's good at her job but they need to hide her from ever having to talk to anyone.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

Voters aren't waiting for your permission to vote Tory. They're going to do it anyway.

And it is they who are ultimately at fault.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
A freddo for the first person to purposefully run Rhodri Philipps, the 4th Viscount St Davids, the gently caress over and then reverse over him until he is dead. Then send abuse to any surviving family.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

No you see it is Corbyn's fault because the British public is some platonic ideal of rational actor.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

This seems highly unlikely.

May can't do anything wrong because Corbyn has absorbed the very concept of being wrong so only he can ever be wrong again. What an idiot.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Corbyn uniquely toxic.

May strong and stable.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Corbyn Dex build

May Strength build using dark sword before nerf patch

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

Shite isn't it. We need somebody who can oppose her.

Yeah a better leader is going to stop the 50% that identify as either as ethnic nationalists or as something else but with an ideology identical to the ethnic nationalists, from being complete utter cunts.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

No these are people more likely to vote Labour because Corbyn isn't going to be Prime Minister as a result.

Twat.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Miftan posted:

gently caress off. Holy poo poo capitalism is terrible, people are terrible, Giant Meteor 2017.

A correct opinion.

Apart from all the other awful poo poo i'm horrified that 20 years isn't a long time to these people. Oh don't worry you can be rich! In 20 years! Your best years will be behind you, you know the ones when it's most fun to have a lot of money. But you can buy a yacht and do that think where you put coke on a bit of a prostitute and smoke her or something? IDK. 20 years is a long time. A lot of otherwise healthy people will be dead in 20 years. Are these people liches? It's yes isn't it. That's the secret.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

Sounds like the idea of Corbyn supporters being able to deselect MPs they don't like was as realistic as Corbyn becoming PM.

Is that all you've got? Do YOU have a problem with Corbyn other than his inability to "win"? Are you like Blair and this guy and think that Corbyn winning would be a bad thing? Because if not why do you have nothing to say about these idiots trying to sabotage their own party?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

The answer is that they voted Tory instead.

Which is Corbyn's fault for not becoming them like the Tories did. What a TWAT. A complete BOLLOCKS.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Miftan posted:

I live there, the entire campaign here has been CORBYN BAD MAY GOOD also your current Labour MP didn't take care of that trash business in camden what gives??? It's a 1k majority for Labour, so it's probably not going to go well despite the tories' lovely campaign.

Well that campaign at least proposes a solution to Corbyn bad. This tread can only manage the first bit.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

This is why Corbyn needs to contest a general election.

It'll be bad enough listening to the 'Jeremy would have won without ________ happening' horseshit.

I'm not sure the leaflet didn't go into details.

Jeremy isn't going to win because the public is ideologically right wing. You love polls, you saw the poll that had 24% openly identifying as 'ethnic nationalists'. A further 25%, classed as the common sense voter, were found to have almost identical issues.

These people are not going to vote Corbyn whether he was amazing at his job or not. The country doesn't want a left wing government.

Frankly, I feel your issue boils down to wanting a centrist government with a red logo. You could vote Tory or lib dem but you want the red one. And you're angry that the red one is being silly and not being centrist.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Remember when Scots posters claimed the death of Scottish Labour and the rise of the SNP was because they were so left wing. Yeah. This has all ended in tears. Who would have thought?

1. Destroy Labour in order to form massive SNP majority.
2. Fail to achieve independence.
3. Backslide into Toryism.

MikeCrotch posted:

I mean these local election results are bad, don't get me wrong, but if you want to see what sticking to the centre gets you look at PS in France, PvdA in the Netherlands or the complete tire fire that is the US Democrats. Things could be a lot worse.

Depends how far the Tories go with Brexit. If they stick to their ideology it might not be so bad. A small erosion to worker rights here, a lowering of taxes for the upper classes there but life continues as normal. If they really go for it and just start turning us into libertaria then we could win the race to the bottom. They have the chance to outright remove all regulation because we don't have any of our own. All our environmental and pollution regulations are EU. They can turn this country into a polluted hellscape within ten years. It's all down to how they plan to handle Brexit and whether or not the ultimate agenda is making us into a deregulated tax haven or merely rolling back the clock to 1980's Britain.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 5, 2017

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

Still skeptical of him, he's done some good things in the past but power seeking is not a thing inclined to make me trust people.

I don't think we have the privilege of choice anymore.

I'll take well-intentioned careerist if it means we finally end the national nightmare that is the Tories.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

forkboy84 posted:

So much for the Liberal fight back.

So much for the far left, the left, the centre left and the centre.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

No ideally you kick the loonies out of the Labour party or at least keep them under control but I think it's too late for that.

What loonies? The 'far left' of Labour want the NHS protecting, more houses and, worker rights and a fairer society. They're not after full communism. If this is too much for you and other 'moderates' I don't know why any of us bother. What is it you want from the opposition to the Tories?

For the record I think Corbyn is trash. But not because of his policies. I don't think he is a 'loony'. But if you have issues with the basic left wing ideas that have been floated then maybe you're not really a labour voter anyway.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It's as bad as those who think that the lurch to the right by all levels of society is an issue entirely down to one man. A sacrificial lamb who once slaughtered will bring us back to the 'moderate' centre 'non-loony' ground.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Which is why if you're going to get rid of a lame duck leader, you better finish the job. Instead of making the situation worse.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, most "Corbynistas" or whatever bollocks you want to parrot are just people unwilling to put "winning" before ideology. Because they have critical thinking skills and realise that winning on the wrong platform isn't actually winning.

Who is "you"? YOU know who you are.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 13:38 on May 6, 2017

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Because the tuition fee betrayal was a minor thing. Not a thing that has and will affect millions upon millions of people. "It's ok you can get a loan!!!!!!" sure is an easy choice for people on lower incomes. Debt doesn't cause stress and the resulting mental illness. This may be uninspired sarcasm.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
loving leftists and their insipid petulant empathy. "You did a bad thing and this has informed my future interactions with you" they say in a fundamentally irrational manner, almost womanly you might say. At this point I pissed all over them. Just dropped my trousers and pissed. Being the beta cucks they were they just stood there as was their station. Then I went home and posted on the internet about why slavery was actually good for black people.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

His Divine Shadow posted:

The more I read this thread and UK news in general, the more I think Corbyn is probably a pretty OK leader, but Labour is just such a lovely shambolic party completely lacking all confidence of the voters (and was like this before corbyn too) not even the best drat leader there ever was could fix it.

You got it. Corbyn has become a magical being by both extreme factions. Those that love him can't imagine Labour without him. And those that hate him think his downfall will fix everything. The idea that the British public is just too right wing to ever vote a centre left party is absurd to both sides.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Breath Ray posted:

Oh that was just posturing. They'd have done the left thing in power.

Nah.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I think, and therefore might be terribly wrong, that most remainers have given up on the issue and just aren't voting. Which is a pity because they're playing into the self-fulfilling prophecy that remainers don't exist and the country is united.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

jabby posted:

Andrew Marr today asking McDonnell the hard-hitting questions people want answers to, like 'are you a Marxist?'

Never mind the fact that 90% of the population doesn't know what Marxism is, it makes a good negative soundbite.

They don't know what Marxism is but they "know" it's "bad". The word has come to basically mean "traitor". Like when the alt-right goes on about "cultural marxists". The right has almost complete control of the word

forkboy84 posted:

I really don't think she is, but even if she is I'm not sure that's particularly relevant as to why you shouldn't vote for her or her party in June.

No disrespect, i'm broken brained myself, but I think being "of sound mind" is actually one thing you do want in a leader.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Questions as character assassination are very common. Are you still beating your wife? It's that but on a supposed professional level.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 7, 2017

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

hakimashou posted:

France just shamed britain, but it's a valuable lesson you can learn a lot from.

Centrist politics is alive and well, you don't fight the far right from the far left.

France and all of Europe and the whole of the democratic world breathe a sigh of relief tonight that Le Pen wasnt running against a French Corbyn.

You're not as good at this as pissflaps. Don't bother.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Not sure that's heartening. It would at least display competence. If they don't have a candidate they will just continue to sabotage the party. It'll never end. It's how we got here. These dickheads ran a campaign of self-sabotage and then totally failed to actually get rid of their target leaving us and themselves with a party that can't get elected ON ANY PLATFORM.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
The reason for why Corbyn is bad changes weekly. Now it's outright "AAAARGGG COMMUNISM!". It used to be he was simply a tired granddad in over his head. Now he's an existential threat again like that time Cameron said he was a threat to national security.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

Labour should stop announcing good policies IMO because if they do people won't take them seriously.

Actually maybe this is just a way for them to put policy before the party. The Tories keep stealing their past policies so maybe if they keep floating good ideas the tories will then implement them out of spite. It's 69 dimensional chess mate.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Namtab posted:

Honestly, Britain deserves the Tories

Yep. And they'll get them.

Our society is sick. Deeply sick. It'll need direct impact by repercussions to cure it. These people cannot be "educated" into being better people. Maybe it was always like this. Much of the 20th century was formed by World war I and II. Maybe poo poo always needs to hit the fan before there's change.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

forkboy84 posted:

So don't say you're going into coalition with the SNP, don't include them in the progressive alliance/popular front, whatever. It's purely about maximising chances in individual constituencies to ensure that the Conservatives do not win. Instead, it's a very short-sighted, old fashioned campaign where Lib Dems & Greens will take vote off of Labour in Labour marginals, Labour & Greens will take votes in Lib Dem marginals, & Labour & Liberal will take votes from the SNP that will see Tories increasing their MPs north of the border.

Look, I don't like the LibDems at all. But needs must. Without an overly broad electoral pact or a complete self-destruction by the Tories I just don't see how Labour win an election going on from here.

Blame the SNP. Much like the Labour right they swung hard and missed. In the SNP's case, it was burning all bridges because they were going to get independence. Then independence didn't happen. And now the SNP is poison to everyone outside of Scotland. The message of UK politics is "Make sure you get it right the first time".

Get rid of Corbyn via self sabotage - Failed to remove Corbyn, did sabatage party
Go into coalition with Tories in order to secure AV vote and stop university fees - Failed both, ensured Tory rule
Stoke nationalist fires to ensure independence - Did not get independence, Labour dead, Tories resurgent

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 9, 2017

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

The Insect Court posted:

Not that there's anything new with the "Corbyn's brilliant master plan was always to lose horribly" excuse from the Corbynistas, but it's always nice to hear it laid out so clearly and insanely.

So if by some miracle Corbyn doesn't lead the Labour party into a slaughter in the election and a colossal 100+ seat Tory majority, does that mean by your "logic" he's failed because not enough of the hated Blairites/Reptilians have been purged by the electorate?

People that disagree with you are insane? This is a novel and endearing debate method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
They're relevant in that they were some kind of Tory time bomb making idiots question why Corbyn couldn't appeal to these people over the Tories. UKIP down 9 points, Tories up 9 points!?!??!? CORBYNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!

• Locked thread