Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Considering the possibility of a different labour leader on events right now is hardly alternate loving history get a grip.

You playing make believe that a moderate Labour leader would certainly be doing far better than Corbyn despite all recent elections showing that's not the case is pretty much alternative history fanfiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

I actually said 'half way decent' but if you want to conflate that with 'moderate' that's your prerogative.

I'll be sure to use this great new 'alternate history' line whenever anybody suggests literally anything could or should be different.

Tedious pedantry aside; being a moderate is pretty obviously the main requisite for you to consider them "half way decent", why else would you rather Cooper, Kendall or Smith?

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Yes yes of course I'm being a 'pedant' because I'm expecting you to at least reply to things that were said rather than something you imagined.

You're being a pedant now continuing on this tangent rather than addressing the actual question.

But yeah it really took a giant leap of imagination to think the guy who endlessly poo poo posts about how woeful Corbyn is but still holds a centrist war criminal in high regard, might really mean moderate when he says "half way decent".

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Pissflaps is actually a very serious political player, that's why he argues all day and late into the night on an internet forum instead of doing anything constructive about the politics he cares about enough to spend all day and late into the night whining about.

No you see, nothing hurts the Tories like a lethargic internet troll complaining endlessly about how inept the Labour leader is.
Labour supporters who campaign enthusiastically for Corbyn however are actually just playing into the Tories hands.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

I engage with it exactly as much as I want to.

Because you don't actually care at all beyond being smug in this thread on a daily basis. We all know this.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Being right about how Corbyn has turned out brings me little pleasure.

Reading your endless shitposting of you patting yourself on the back because you assume your'e correct, on a daily basis, brings everyone else even less pleasure.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

You also answer the question you want to, instead of the question asked.

To no-one's surprise.

I'm still waiting to hear by what measure Owen Smith or Liz Kendall could be considered "half way decent".

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

People who support Corbyn are causing people to die because they're taking away the centre left alternative to the Tory party.

This is your fault.

Go feed somewhere else Tory dickhead.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

The alternative was both parties agreeing that they need to die, but Labour looking mildly upset about it. I'm not clear on how that's an improvement.

The only way we can actually help anyone is to just repackage austerity and neoliberalism as "progressive" and then congratulate ourselves when the public chooses Labour to carry on the status quo rather than the Tories.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Corbyn needs to be humiliated again in June for there to be any chance he'll stand down. Even then I don't think he will.

Ask me again if and when he does.

"Don't know" still looking strong after the local election results

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

When you demand labour is lead by somebody with a chance in hell of becoming prime minister I might believe you give a gently caress about people dying because of Tory governments.
Nobody believes you give the slightest gently caress beyond its relevence to your online attention seeking

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Every single one of your posts in this thread are about or to me.

You're a narcissist who posts in this thread a hundred times a day to feed. You should be thanking me.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Thank you for registering an account just to talk about me.

You're very welcome. I could happy feed your narcissistic personality disorder in exchange for you no longer trolling people who are worried about suicidal/disabled friends or family dying by repeatedly insisting that its their fault.

e- as someone whos been in that boat before, your insistence to keep trolling on that point really demonstrates what a vile little poo poo of a man you are.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

nopantsjack posted:

Could you not quote him though so the clever people who have him on ignore don't have to see his boring nonsense?

Fair enough.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

learnincurve posted:

Oh but trust me, they are far worse. They are far more easily led and much more likely to actually go out and vote than UKIP supporters.

18 is a good cut off point, the vast vast majority of 16 and 17 year olds live only for today, they have no concept of mortality or the future, and they exist in a protected bubble world filled with kids their own age and younger where adults are seen as a different species. 18 year olds have had the security of school ripped out from under them.

Your entire argument is just generalities tarring all 16-17 year olds with the same brush, while ignoring that most of your criticisms apply to other age groups anyway.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012
No I'm just not too fond of paternalistic liberals.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

learnincurve posted:

I do believe we found the 17 year old.

I'm not saying the olds should have a vote, anyone who's ever worked in technical support or has anything to do with the NHS, knows there should be an upper age limit. It's a completely seperate issue.

Do you have any arguments that arent based on personal anecdotes?

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

learnincurve posted:

Yes my lamb, I am or was before I quit the NHS in a huff, a psychologist.

I'm not going to do your research for you, google Neuroimaging and the difference between adolescent and adult brains.
Paternalistic liberal... also patronising and smug? Just shocking.
I suppose it follows that people with mental illnesses also shouldn't be allowed to vote then.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

learnincurve posted:

Lol are people really that liberal in this thread that they want literal school children to vote?

There is no discernible difference between the maturity of a 16 year old and a 15 year old, so why don't we let 15 year olds vote as well? But that also goes for 14 year olds so it's a vote for them too, but hey not much difference between the 13 year olds and 14 year olds so off to the polls you go second years. Not first years though, God they are like only just out of primary so what would they know about life and poo poo?

You literally have zero argument besides trying to infantise 16-17 year olds as much as possible, so much so you're now pulling out a horseshit slippery slope argument.

Benjamin Arthur fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 11, 2017

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

learnincurve posted:

I'm not liberal, Tory or Labour. I don't like the way the whole political system is geared towards voting for a party, and not individual candidates, so I vote for whoever the not racist independent candidate is because no one ever mentions the statistics in spoiled ballots.

Most 16-17 year olds wouldnt waste their vote as much as you do.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

learnincurve posted:

Only if they vote for the party you want them to vote for kiddo, the Tory party will be wanting them to vote for them and they run the department of education...

Stop with the patronising tone, you've already outed yourself as a moron.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

learnincurve posted:

:shrug: I have qualifications and 15 years of experience in this field. I know there is a huge difference mentally between 18 year olds and 16 year olds, should 16 year olds be allowed to have children? not really. But can you stop them having sex? No. But as the risk of life or health threatening injury owing to pregnancy or abortion is relatively low at 16, all making it illegal would do is land a load of teenagers in prison or put them on lists.
That does not mean that because we do this one wrong thing we should do this other wrong thing as well, it's a completely seperate issue.

I think the more pressing issue compared to sex is that 17 year olds are eligible to pay tax and join the armed forces, and hence deserve representation.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

baka kaba posted:

What's being argued is that Labour was poo poo for basically going 'uhhh, uhhh, yeah loving Thornberry, we'll get rid of her!' and admitting to the lazy accusations. All that did was feed the narrative that Labour was elitist and out of touch and just pandering to the working class to get votes

To be fair that narrative did describe New Labour pretty well.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Evil_Urna posted:

Where did I say that? And what does a mid 20th century German dictator have anything to do with 2017 British politics? I dont think this thread needs any more derails.

When someone has large amounts of income, they tend to be able to just pick up and leave and make a go of it somewhere where they are not going to suffer vindictive taxation just because they are good at what they do.

Having a functioning welfare state and NHS by taxing high earners at 50% is not "vindictive" you right-wing bellend.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Evil_Urna posted:

Oh for sure, but I dont see how Hitler has anything to do directly with Corbyn's manifesto, or his hiring of a Stalinist (sorry a guy that was a Stalinist till December but is not totes a mainstream labour member) to run his campaign. Or how Labour expects to pay for all of the new entitlements they want without vindictive taxation.

"My affection for Hitler has nothing to do with this, now let me get back to discrediting the ideology Hitler hated most by smearing people by political association with the man who defeated him."

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

I thought the idea was that labour wouldn't ask anyone but the very highest earners to pay more tax?

Unfortunately funding essential elements of society by taxing the people who most benefit from societies existence is vindictive.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Evil_Urna posted:

Thatcher and Regans policy's worked great in England and America until they were neutered and abandoned by administrations down the line.

Everyone remember; he's not right-wing hes a centrist.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Namtab posted:

What about instead of trickle down we have a loving waterfall through progressive tax rates and an inland revenue with actual teeth

Too vindictive. What if we have a brutal police state or perhaps a prison industrial complex that systematically targets racial minorities.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Evil_Urna posted:

Honestly, the only way Labour's going to redeem themselves in the eyes of the British electorate after they get thrashed in June is to purge the extremists, head back to the center, and build a working collation government with the ruling Tory party.

Yes because a coalition with the Tories did wonders for Lib Dem popularity, you fuckwit nazi.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012
Stalin did nothing wrong

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Ludicro posted:

I'm probably giving them too much credit here, but I can't help but wonder if having May's name slapped over everything in their campaign as opposed to the Conservative Party is a deliberate strategy. When Brexit inevitably goes to poo poo, everyone remembers "Theresa May" as opposed to "Conservatives", so the Tories can throw her and her cabinet under a bus and keep the party unblemished for what comes after.

I think May and the Tories just have a more basic strategy of making the election "May v Corbyn" as opposed to Conservative Party v Labour.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Rakosi posted:

Are you going to keep posting to tell me what I really think when I make a pretty clear comment, oval office? Your non-contributions and how they go ignored are the miracle of UKMT.

It's pretty clear that you're a fascist dickhead and should gently caress off.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Rakosi posted:

You gents can just stick me on your ignore lists and you won't have to post this every time I post in the thread.

Or you could stop posting in the thread where everyone thinks you're a dickhead? You only show up when a terror attack provides you with an opportunity to act smug about being a racist sack of poo poo.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Rakosi posted:

Nope.

Quote me being racist ITT.

lol you think the tabloids should get a pat on the back for using dogwhistle racism rather than overt "Browns killing us again!". Just gently caress off already

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Do it ironically posted:

I'm sorry I have a different opinion than you and that it makes you angry and upset maybe you could check out a local psychologist to help you with your issues so we can discuss like adults

loving hell is trolling getting lazy nowadays.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Political ones on this forum? Trump and Scottish independence.

The only one I called wrong was Brexit, along with everyone else in this thread.
I wasn't​.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

I'm stunned that I can't remember what your thoughts on the subject were.

EU bad thing

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012
The IRAs greatest crime was failing to get Thatcher

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Bothering to check your angry little missives is not one of my priorities.

God forbid you'd properly read the posts responding to the pedantic derails that you start, here in the thread where you spend your life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

The information isn't in any of the posts I've replied to or read. I don't think it actually exists, but don't let that get in the way of a tantrum.

Sorry, I assumed someone sad enough to post as much as you would at least know how to read. My mistake.

• Locked thread