Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

I do this in rpgs a fair bit if i get there underleveled

My problem in Rogue Galaxy was for the last form of the boss of the game, you turned into this giant thing to fight it and the form you turned into had a completely new set of moves with no chance to really get used to them. It's also not like they made the boss easy to make it all just a fun last phase. If I recall correctly the boss was still a bitch and could kill you pretty easily. Also, I might be misremembering but I also think the lead up to that boss was the sort of typical "all your characters do a phase of the boss fight" type thing, which wasn't hard but took forever and if you died on the last form, you had to start from the beginning of the fight. As I said, I might be misremembering that but at the very least, if you shut off the game you'd have to start from the beginning and either way gently caress that. All of this would have been moot if the game had a compelling plot that I wanted to see the end of but :shrug:

Other than that the closest I've come to getting that far in a game without beating it was probably the Dreamcast Ecco the Dolphin game, where I gave up on the next to last level, which I felt I could beat with practice but I didn't feel like it then and that's a really hard game to go back to. Unlike with Rogue Galaxy, I regret not beating that one because it'd be nice to be able to say I beat what most consider to be an unusually hard game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I liked Xenoblade but found the amount of stuff it had to do to just be too overwhelming and it's game world was just too big. At one point I was determined to ignore all side content and power through but then I found out that certain sidequests would unlock new paths on your passive skill tree or whatever and I felt I should at least get those but the quests to get them seemed so random, easy to miss and spread out that I ended up just giving up instead.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I haven't played Xenogears but from what I understand it might have the single clearest "we ran out of time and/or money moment" end section in gaming

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Ometeotl posted:

So I got the A ending in Nier Automata, are all the sidequests I didn't finish gone or are they sent over to whatever the hell kind of thing a Yoko Taro game is going to consider NG+

There is only one missable thing in the entire game and it's one of the last things you do so don't worry.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Ometeotl posted:

All I needed to know, thanks.

The worst that will happen is any quest you started and didn't finish, you'll need to start from the begining again. don't worry, every phase of the robot dojo quest is its own fight

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

Enough to realize that my hatred of the protagonist wasn't going away. 3 hours, it said.

Edit: I mean I already read a plot synopsis and deleted the game so I'm already checked out on it as is.

One of the strengths of the game is it kind of has a typical, irritating anime protagonist and as the game goes on it becomes really clear that his personality is just there to push people away and make it so he never has to deal with real emotion. Like he's this over the top anime mad scientist because he's a dumb 4chan nerd that uses acting like that as a coping mechanism when he's shown as being not that smart or when a cute girl talks to him. I know saying "he's supposed to be irritating" has never made anyone like anything more ever, but it's really true and part of the reason the game works so well is because the main character is very quickly forced to drop the poo poo and actually deal with some big problems. Okabe is like a completely different character later on because the seriousness of everything makes him look back at the front he has put on in disgust.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The Act of Killing was good. I really should get around to seeing The Look of Silence

It's a very different movie that is somehow more horrifying. It's a perfect companion movie because it kind of addresses the only real issue people had with the original, in that the ending realization didn't seem completely believable and was kind of taken too at face value by the movie. The Look of Silence mainly features a guy trying to get a moment like that and never, coming even close and just being forced to face that

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah the sheer lack of remorse on display in The Act of Killing was pretty spooky and made me unhappy for a long time. I haven't heard about The Look of Silence before but it doesn't seem to answer that either

As indicated above, if anything it's way way worse in that regard.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

Nah see I get that and I figure with all the praise they'd do something with it, but it's just as you say, just because it makes sense doesn't mean it's not annoying to sift through the thirtieth tirade where he's throwing out a bunch of bullshit I don't care about when there's cool time travel implications around the corner and literally every other character is more interesting/not as annoying as him.

I also don't think I have the patience for VNs anymore. The last one I gave an earnest effort to was Virtue's Last Reward and when it came to an ending (or not even an ending, I think it was blocked off until I did some other route), I just sighed and put it away because I didn't want to deal with that poo poo anymore.

S;G also very clearly only had any interaction through the cell phone and so I knew it would be what determines the ending, but it would never let me screen what I was sending and the protagonist again, more often than not, would send something douchebaggy instead of what I'd want to send which again is perfectly in character but drat, man.

Honestly, as much as I love the game, S;G has even less interaction than you think. Most of the endings clearly flag themselves and are down to one decision and outside of that you have to respond to a handful of texts in the exact right way and if you don't, you don't get the true ending. Hell the phone stuff only determines if you get 1 of 3 endings, with one of those endings being the True ending except it ends before it gets to the good bit.

Still, it's too bad you didn't like the game because for me it's still far and away the best VN I've played.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The Crash Bandicoot games rule and I say that as someone who didn't really play them until i got them in PS3.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Does being in questionable taste count as being cheesy because if that's the case
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE5c8ugVYVc

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Dr Cheeto posted:

In his most recent video, Jim Sterling cast aside the faux-dictatorial schtick in favor of a carnival barker thing. It amounts to changing the intro and wearing a silly hat but I'm glad of it.

I assume he did it because there are too many people playing unironic Nazis these days. Like I think he did it originally to sort of poke fun at the percieved harshness of his tone but the obviousness of the joke is now gone which in itself is pretty depressing

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Macarius Wrench posted:

How's Infamous Second Sun? Never played an infamous but I got the impression it was the PS3 Crackdown with dumb fun explosiony combat and orb collecting, is that about right?

They are good games but they are really not very Crackdown at all. Overall it might be one of the more structured open work games with the least stuff to do to just gently caress around which is the exact opposite of Crackdown. It's still worth playing but you will be disappointed if you're looking for more Crackdown.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

all three power sets in second son are reskins of each other

What? No. They have some things in common but they all have completely different play styles. Hell, the third one is essentially stealth based.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Motto posted:

Video was very good

Yeah, people don't seem to like it but I thought it might possibly the most broken stealth power set I've ever seen in a game and it ruled plus you summoned digital angels or demons to do your bidding.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

People act like rogue lites are the bane of gaming but i'll take a million more of those over another wilderness survival crafting game. I mean at least some of the rogue lites have been really good

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Who is in charge of Capcom decision making and can reasonably explain the thought process behind $40 Ultra Street Fighter 2.

The Switch doesn't have many games and right now publishers are taking advantage of the fact that people will mindlessly buy something to try and justify their purchase. It's the same reason that Binding of Isaac was $40.

Plus the cards are more expensive to make than CDs putting Nintendo back in the situation they were in with the N64 (though that doesn't explain digital prices being jacked up).

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I feel Capcom could have maybe gotten away with this if they hadn't already released the game with HD graphics for $10 like five years ago. Like if the new, honestly not great, visual were at least this new thing they could sort of claim they made a new edition of the game thus $40 but NOPE, they can't even do that.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Are you serious, you could probably pick it up for 99 cents on PC

Mordja posted:

loving what. :stare:

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/the-binding-of-isaac-afterbirth-plus-switch

The physical version at least has an old school full color manual and some tat but the $40 is still absurd, even if you ignore how cheap every edition of the game has been on PC.

It really sucks because I love that game and I wouldn't mind having it on my Switch but I think I can get every other version of the game on every other system it's on combined for less than they want for the Switch version.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Healbot posted:

Other platforms meaning PC because Vita and PS4 are only the base game.

PS4 just doesn't have the latest expansion.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I want Injustice 2 but for once I'm gonna wait for the goty edition because I never get to play a large amount of the cast in NetherRealm games because I drop them before the dlc.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
gently caress! Woke up this morning to my PS4 saying that there was a problem with my extended storage device and now I pretty much have to redownload 800gb of games because I had to reformat my external hard drive for whatever reason :suicide:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Well luckily I do think anything major was in there and the stuff I'm currently mostly focused on is on my internal HD, but man it's literally gonna take at least a week to redownload all this stuff.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Dr Cheeto posted:

Sup games, how are you staving off the cold inevitability of death today?

Redownloading games, playing Overwatch and watching mostly lovely YouTube videos

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I like how in response to the topic of Nintendo being worthy of criticism, not one but two posters responded with the same lovely bad faith snipe at Sony for some reason.

Anyways, Humble Bundle has a Adult Swim bundle up right now and it is good
https://www.humblebundle.com/adult-swim-games-bundle

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Bicyclops posted:

I mean, every company is worthy of criticism, but it only makes sense that people are going to compare. Nintendo makes really good first party games (which are by definition exclusive), but they take forever to make them these days and suffer from constant delays, and the UI for their digital store is trash. The PS4 has one hell of a sweet controller and some pretty decent hardware, but a lot of the better games for it are PC ports that probably play better with things like mods and a keyboard. Nintendo tries a lot of new things to shake things up and find a niche in the market (and appeal to people who might not otherwise play video games), but they often come off as gimmicky, half-baked, or with frustrating controls. Sony basically just makes hardware that facilitates developing "gamer" type games, which means that they can make stuff like Bloodborne and get the full suite of open world RPGs and whatnot, but it can make them seem staid and pricey.

Assuming that this in response to me, my point was more that Sony really didn't have anything to do with the topic at hand so it amused me that the same not really that effective argument came in response to the mere whiff of Nintendo criticism, just sort of reinforcing the point about the Nintendo fanbase being sensitive.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Having a "PS4 has no games" discussion now makes about as much sense as having a "Wii U has no games" discussion now. Like, yes it was true at one point but now it is really not true and doesn't really change the fact the Switch is currently lacking games. Yes, that will most likely change in the future at which point people will stop complaining that it has no games, just like you should probably stop bringing up how the PS4 used to have no games to defend it. The future of one system is not an indicator of another. The dreamcast launched with loads of games and died. The Ouya launched with no games and died with no games.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Bicyclops posted:

I hope Mario Odyssey is good, I liked the Wii U Mario games but I missed stuff like Galaxy and Sunshine.

The "new" games kind of did some not great things to the series by making what was a really creative and bright series into something that felt like something Ikea would make. They weren't bad but they certainly didn't live up to the name and sort of diluted the perfection of the series. 3D Land and World games worked towards undoing that, while still having a kind of flat look, and it looks like Odyssey is mostly free of it, even if they did not learn one of the more minor lessons from Sonic 06: don't put normal looking humans next to your goofy rear end mascot. Still, it looks great and the main reason I own a Switch is so I know I have one when that game comes out.

Still, it will have to be pretty drat amazing to outdo Mario Maker

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Bicyclops posted:

Mario Maker is sort of the apotheosis of 2-D Mario. It feels like they should just make Mario Maker with more features and maybe a set of levels that come packaged with it for people who want an official Nintendo game anymore. I miss the 3D/explorey ones, though.

Agreed. I love 2D Mario but I've always 3D platformers tend to be some of my very favorite games and no one does those better than Mario. I really hope Odyssey is the continuation from Galaxy I've been waiting for (3D World was great but it felt more like them getting the series back on track rather than pushing it forward).

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

KingSlime posted:

A mario maker with 3d world style of levels would be really loving cool

but yeah i like Platforming Adventure mario waaaay better than Map Full Of Courses mario

probably takes more resources to do the former though, why create large and engaging landscapes when you can just cobble together some bowser levels maps for 3d world? They were done well and all but time for proper 3d mario

It was more than that. Mario Galaxy was fantastic but from what I can tell it didn't do nearly as well as NSMB Wii and certainly didn't do as well as the original NSMB. As you said, the 3D games are way harder to make so they went all in with the "new" aesthetic for a bit but interest waned (I don't think NSMB2 and NSMB Wii U did particularly great) and they got far more middling reviews than other Mario games so I think that's why they've gone back to making a big bombastic Mario game.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I've never had the unfair death problem that people seem to have with Sonic games (well the ones where people say there's no way by without memorization, not the ones where you die due to bugginess. those can gently caress right off). I thought generations was pretty good but Colors was WAY better.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Well I just spent the last 20 minutes watching covers of NitW covers. I didn't really get to read the lyrics while playing the game and man those are some depressing songs (okay, 2 out of 3 are depressing and 1 is about running from a murderous Pumpkin Headed Guy).

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking forward to the HD Crash trilogy and trying to ignore E3 and failing.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That MvC roster makes me seriously think that for some reason they're gonna try and sell half their roster as dlc again, which worked so well for SFxTekken

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

I remember the ending sucked but it was also one of the most beautiful games of that generation, like drat

I really liked the PoP reboot and was sad it didn't take but man that ending was bad. The funny part is it has pretty much the same ending as The Last of Us but LOU spends the entire game building up to that ending and PoP just throws it out there and one is one of the better video game endings ever and the other is one of the worst

exquisite tea posted:

The characters have unique movesets, combos, blocks, parries, cancels, and throws. The objective of each match is to get the other guy's health down to zero. It's a fighting game.

Next you're gonna be claiming that Smash Bros is a fighting game :rolleyes:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Even though I'll probably tune out as soon as E3 starts, I made a June thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3822248

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

What's the worst PS2 game that can be beaten in a day, Games?

Indigo Prophecy

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Motto posted:

I look forward to his inevitable star wars video

He loves the prequels so...

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I already made the June thread with the exact same joke title
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818981&pagenumber=2&perpage=40#post472897414

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

To be fair, it's an extremely obvious title for June

also maybe there should be a generally agreed upon time to make the month's chat thread, I waited until near midnight EST, glam rock's was made an entire day early!

Last year I tried to make a chat thread the eve of the new month and the new thread had already been up for days. :shrug:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Nah

I just wanted to make the thread for once :shobon:

I mean...same.

...are you just keeping your thread open in hopes it gets stickied over mine or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
drat it, why you gotta be like a that?

• Locked thread