Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

tag youre fat posted:

What's Life is Strange like? It's 4.50 on the humble store and i feel like i'd like it but i'm not sure

It's an episodic adventure game that's like My So-Called Life meets Twin Peaks. Buy if you like getting the feels and twee time traveling teens of indeterminate sexual preference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

:agreed:x1000 and also why everyone must agree that Life is Strange is the greatest video game ever made.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Unlikely as Dontnod said they're finishing up their vampire game and wanted to just get out the announcement for Life is 2trange in advance of E3.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Goons not liking monster hunter is a mystery to me

Well they're some of the grindiest games in existence and still look and control like PS2-era titles.

So yeah, it really is surprising.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I'm gonna be a black lady in Far Cry and kill all the whites

Nonlethal against lady enemies, all men get the gat.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Also I freaking called what music they'd use for the FC5 trailer, where's my award for being #1 Right About Video Games.

exquisite tea posted:

I'm gonna guess "This Land is Your Land."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Macarius Wrench posted:

Finished the story of Injustice 2, now getting creamed in online games. Think I'll sell this one on.

FGs are definitely not the genre to get into if you want to maintain a high opinion of your skill at video games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

CrowbCat does good work

That's kind of a selective retelling of events. People were down on DOOM not just for the solo gameplay demonstrations but also for the multiplayer beta, which was by all accounts Not Good and inexplicably what Bethesda decided to showcase in advance of release.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Having enemy fire rate tied to framerate is nothing new. They did the same thing with Mass Effect 3, which is why the multiplayer was a little harder if you were playing on PC (although I suppose the controls were more precise as well).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Imagine all the unfortunate people who are now going to buy the Crash Bandicoot trilogy for this exact reason.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

an actual dog posted:

Hard drives are not storage devices, they are failing machines.

Your body is kind of like this too, each drop of alcohol and junk food slowly amassing like write errors on a decaying drive.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Yeah I guess you could look at it that way if you like being a loving bummer

We should all take care of our bodies with the same intensity that we play video games. If you don't, then you are actually a scrub casual IRL.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Ah yes, the stunning and optimistic encouragement of "we are all slowly dying". Sorry I just didn't feel that effect from your post for some strange reason

edit: I have the Five Guys double cheeseburger any% speedrun record

scrub tier: boohoo i'm gonna die one day that's really sad
mid tier: death is certain, death is certain
pro tier: hahaha we're all gonna die yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah *kickflips out on the street to metal guitar solo*

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

This one kinda sucks if you know a bunch of people who are really sick, though, the whole Ericksonian "existential optimism" thing gets less fun when it's like "Boy, I hope my friends get better so I don't have to go to a funeral."

We live in a cold and uncaring universe, my friend.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Seems to be back now but it's perpetually teetering on the the precipice due to everything in it being almost 7 years old

How is it failing? Could just be a faulty RAM stick, which is an easy fix. A bad power supply is a little more serious though since that can inflict harm to your entire system.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The greatest mystery of the universe is why it decided to ever go about the business of being in a more ordered state to begin with. But that was a good thing in the long run because it allowed for the constant arrow of time, the transfer of heat from warm to cold bodies, the collapse and formation of matter into stars, and ultimately, video games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The weirdest thing about our universe is that it once existed in a state of zero entropy, total uniformity and rigidity in all number of possible configurations. Now because we live in an expanding universe, the amount of possible configurations of where stuff can be is always increasing, and therefore the entropy is always increasing. But due to fluctuations and the infinite passage of time, the entropy of an isolated system can decrease in an area, which explains why loose matter on a local level can collapse into things like stars and planets, and ultimately life. But if that's true, then why do we live in a reality where the entire UNIVERSE existed within a single place in time? The amount of time you'd need to wait for the position of absolutely everything to converge upon a single point would be almost infinite. Conversely, you'd have to wait much less time for a localized configuration of matter to collapse into one human being, or even for a star system housing an earth-like planet. Much easier and frequently would the laws of entropy allow for one star system here, another there. But that doesn't seem to be the case. Everywhere we can observe, the universe appears to be uniform and isotropic in all directions, which is just mindblowing.

Anyway that doesn't have a whole lot to do with video games although for these reasons I am partial to any spell or talent that has Entropy in the name.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

KingSlime posted:

though not exclusive to this fanbase, nintendo fans are very....sensitive to criticism from what I've seen, it's very difficult to have an honest discussion about a company's flaws and compare it objectively to competitors when that company is a bit of a sacred cow

The fact that he has to put up a ton of disclaimers before talking about nintendo is a sign of this. I think the disclaimers are annoying personally, no need to protect his viewers' feelings. He's a critic after all, and I don't often see him set up preambles when bashing other companies.

Anyways, Nintendo makes cool stuff but they are far from perfect and I think a lot of his criticism is very valid. That's my take on it anyways

I think it's impossible for a lot of people to be rational about Nintendo, the imprinting is much too deep.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Imagine being 30 years old and still fighting console wars over the internet.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

tap my mountain posted:

What's a video game veteran supposed to do, not put their experience to good use?

I still have PTSD from the blast processing offensive.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

suuma posted:

I didn't know people still play Tekken.

e: by Tekken I mean fighting games in general

For Honor, a medieval fighting game by Ubisoft, is the second best-selling game of 2017 so far.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

suuma posted:

Okay, I didn't know people played 3d side-view fighting games w/ health bars and combos anymore.

I mean I know they still make Street Fighter and stuff but in my brain fighting games kind of died off with arcades.

Mortal Kombat X, a 3d side-view fighting game w/ health bars and combos, was the 9th best selling game of 2015. It sold more than Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare that year.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Macarius Wrench posted:

Is this a joke?

It's not. These are top 10 US sales digital and physical through April 31st.

1. Ghost Recon: Wildlands
2. For Honor
3. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
4. Horizon: Zero Dawn
5. Mass Effect: Andromeda
6. Resident Evil 7
7. Grand Theft Auto V
8. NBA 2K17
9. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
10. MLB 17: The Show

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

babypolis posted:

how is wildlands the best selling game of 2017 its trash

It's been stated many times but goon opinions on games are not really representative of the public at large. Case in point: the Nier Automata thread has 3x the posts of surefire 10+ million seller and GOTY contender Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

codenameFANGIO posted:

... wait, really? I have heard literally nothing about this game lol

This is a forum where the 12 people who actually bought Alpha Protocol all post.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

suuma posted:

The Nier:A thread probably has so many posts because goons can't shut the gently caress up about "what constitutes anime"

Nier Automata is an anagram for Aut Taro Anime, I'll let you be the judge.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

In Training posted:

I wouldn't call For Honor a fighting game

The characters have unique movesets, combos, blocks, parries, cancels, and throws. The objective of each match is to get the other guy's health down to zero. It's a fighting game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

In Training posted:

I think having it be Team based with creep waves is enough for to be like basically a MOBA.

The team mode is a gear-based nothing matters mode. It shares almost nothing in common with a MOBA other than "you are on a team" I guess.

• Locked thread