Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Here's a reminder of a couple of fantastic games that came out in May 2002, 15 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxjxk8zFSA0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=witvUes32B4

The PAL version of Melee came out May 2002, okay? That counts!

Jesus Christ I'm old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am continuing to enjoy Bayonetta even though I keep getting told I am complete garbage. Considering Bayonetta's personality I guess it's a good fit.

I am on Chapter 6 and still cannot afford the parry accessory

She acts like that, but she's really a big ol softy.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

TWEWY had a cooler Persona soundtrack.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

precision posted:

the first one was good and funny iirc

So is the second. I cannot speak for the later ones.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I am pumped for Darksiders 3, and I am also hoping it is more Darksiders 1 than 2 and keeps the same tone of being self aware but playing it totally straight that those two had.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

precision posted:

I've never really had anyone coherently explain to me what it is about MOBAs that is enjoyable.

Brain damage, and they aren't. And I say that as someone who plays mobas.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

Are the Quake heroes shippable at least

Everything is.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm half expecting God Eater Souls will forget to make your hits stagger enemies or something.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The future is Dynasty Warriors.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Armored Core for Switch

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm sorry everyone else, they're making Code Vein for me and me alone, as a person who loves both Dark Souls and God Eater. Much like how XCX was made for me alone. Sorry that I keep getting my uncle who works at Nintendo to pitch these games.

Please tell them to make XCX2 please thank you.

God Eater is bad, though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

That's just hoe powerful that shoryuken was.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Colonel posted:

playing condemned and fear is making me miss no one lives forever. i kind of think both the nolf games play like complete rear end, but i really appreciate that the writing in them was actually really fun and goofy in a way that made me ok with just listening to guard chatter, while playing fear just makes me wonder when the big scripted scenes will end so i can get back to flying kicking super soldiers, and the ending of condemned was just really loving stupid and lame.

Yeah I recall that engine being kinda assy, but the games were charming and had neat level ideas.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

savestates are for sinners

Better to laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Palpek posted:

Is there any game that comes close to featuring the studio's boss as an in-game character 3D modelled in detail complete with his glasses, having super stats and being at one point refered to as "God"?

Wonderful 101 and Nier: Automata.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

I don't agree with that at all. I think Crystal Chronicles stages are long enough that downtime between them is kind of appreciated, even with friends, unless they're jerks.

Not that the story or gameplay is that stellar or anything.

I was the guy who played Crystal Chronicles solo because A) having friends who B) also had GBAs with C) the connector cables was, it turns out, a pretty big ask. The game was still pretty fun though, and I wouldn't mind seeing something like it appear again now that online multiplayer is a thing that exists.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

You know what I genuinely miss? Prerendered backgrounds. I'm sure it's nostalgia talking but I was always really fond of all the detail artists managed to cram into those in the Resident Evil/Parasite Eve heyday and while I don't find the pixel art trend as abhorrent as some, I kinda wish that someone would jumpstart a prerendered background revival.

Perhaps what you really miss is actual art direction, which prerendered backgrounds kind of go hand in hand with. Though they are of course not the only way to do it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

mutata posted:

Speaking of, apparently DOTA 2 is getting a coop campaign mode?

Seems like a pretty good idea to me. It's always been a bit surprising that more moba companies haven't thought that there might be people who like the basic mechanics but not the competitive aspects and accompanying terrible community.

I mean the real reason is that it requires more investment than making one map.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

The Darksiders 3 gameplay looks like straight up garbage. Somehow they decided it would be a good idea to take a series known for ludicrously hefty weapons and make the main character use a wimpy little whip.

Like I guess whips can be interesting weapons but you really need to emphasize the *SNAP* and make it look like it loving hurts and the Darksiders whip just looks like it's gently brushing the enemies.

It's also pre alpha and looks pretty much like it was hastily put together due to the leak. I think it was a bad idea to put it out, but I'm not going to be terribly fussed about it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

glam rock hamhock posted:

It's not like the original 2 Darksiders had particularly amazing combat so complaining they the sequel looks bad because the combat looks different seems odd.

It's not the combat looking bad mechanically, which yeah, the first two were definitely simple as well. The criticism is the actual animations don't look very good. But again, very early footage. I'm sure they'll spruce them up in the next two years, and magic and apparently transformations will also help.

I like that Fury's hair is constantly floating.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hot take: Five Guys' fries are not that good.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

There is a small local chain around Portland with some drat good fries. The burgers are kinda unremarkable though, and it's a fairly long wait currently.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

"Fast casual"? "Alpha consumers"?

Alpha consumers are the taste-makers and influencers.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I wish I still lived in a place with White Castle.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nasgate posted:

Veggie burgers kill not only your own soul, but the souls of those around you as well. Also they taste like crap and aren't real burgers.

Are we talking straight up not even trying to hide the fact veggie burgers or ones that actually try to not be obviously veggie burgers? Because there are actually some pretty decent ones of the latter now.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nasgate posted:

If you're vegetarian, why try to recreate a dish that literally revolves around the taste of meat though? Imho veggie burgers are akin to calling a grilled eggplant "veggie steak"

Don't get me wrong, a grilled mushroom sandwich can be tasty as hell, but it's not a burger.

You can toss a frozen veggie burger in a microwave or toaster oven and it'll be decent at least. Real burgers take a bit more preparation.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hi Fanart.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It's fanfiction all the way down.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Beelerzebub posted:

So, I want to get my girlfriend into video games since she's never played one before. I have a Wii, PS2, 3, and 4. Since she likes anime, I was thinking of Persona 4 or Xenoblade. I was also thinking maybe Super Mario Galaxy or OoT since they're super accessible. Any recommendations?

Also thinking of P5 or Tales of Berseria; however, I've yet to beat P5 and have never played a Tales game except for the very beginning of Xillia.

Kingdom Hearts.

Berseria and anything by Gust are also very anime, as is Dark Souls. Berseria also lets you play together in battles.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Harrow posted:

I'm tempted to pick up Tales of Berseria soon. How early can I make Velvet put on real clothes, and are costumes shown in cutscenes too?

Almost immediately and yes.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

That's not a fair trade

Yeah, it's a great one.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Perhaps the true horror is existence.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

PYF mothers in video games

Crono's mom for me

I'd post a picture of Other M Samus, but some jokes are too far.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nina posted:

I guess I'll overlook the goofy rear end mc design and give it a shot

You can replace Velvet's outfit almost immediately.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nasgate posted:

Or a society filled with actual guns that children often have access to.

Look if kids weren't supposed to have guns it would've been in the bible.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Looper posted:

Uh that's implying Robotnik wouldn't be in my party at all times

Robotnik is the only good Sonic character. Perhaps if he dies, the franchise will as well.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

because then you're reminded that you paid money for EA's very bad games

Hey now Titanfall 2 was good, and uhhh...

Titanfall 2 was good.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 18, 2017

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

LawfulWaffle posted:

Liife is Strange
or
Life iis Strange

Life is S2range

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Does it stop being a cosplay orgy when the clothes come off, or are hairstyle and glasses sufficient?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Life is Strange II: Jedi Knight

• Locked thread