Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Theoretically, I'll have one single, huge open world game going at a time (right now it's the Witcher 3), and I'll play multiplayer with my friends and shorter genre games in between.

In practice I get paralyzed for choice and spend most of my weekends switching between the same threads on SA, watching stupid crap online, thinking I should just give up, reinstall STALKER and play nothing but STALKER, and maybe jumping into a multiplayer match of Titanfall 2. Then, with about an hour left before bed, I'll fire up a game and kick myself for not doing it earlier because wow this is a lot of fun.

It's a real problem. :(

Probably the one exception to this rule is the linear FPS, releases of which are few and far between these days. I'll typically devour those in a week or two because that is God's own genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Happy May Day everyone! Let's all drink bleach in international solidarity! :)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Lurdiak posted:

Excuse me it's "Loyalty day".

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

exquisite tea posted:

This is actually a perfect opportunity to hop on the "Simpsons was never good" bandwagon.

That's a drat lie.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Guy Mann posted:

The Simpsons was funny in spite of Matt Groening trying to totally stick it to suburban America, not because of it. His pre-Simpsons comics are absolutely insipid.

If you're talking about Life in Hell, then you're wrong. What a shocker.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Apropos of nothing, anyone remember how the Five Nights At Freddies guy was going on about how his latest game was so sick and twisted that he couldn't in good conscience release it except then he did? Anything come of that, or was it a load of guff and self-manufactured controversy/marketing?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
If the Quake NDA's up, then I can say it's decent but I really think the character stuff just muddies the water since on top of their abilities they'll all have different health, armor, speed values and movement physics, and the netcode seems kind of spotty. I'm pretty sure the lightning gun's damage is based on tick-rate because sometimes that thing can just focus you down in a second. But yeah, it's the character stuff I'm not a fan of since it can mean the difference between gibbing a fool in two rocket hits or three which just feels inconsistent. Of course, I'll admit that I was never big into Quake, I was more of an UT guy. Speaking of which...

I said come in! posted:

That sucks. :/ I miss the days of Quake 2 when people were making tons of mods. I wish someone would bring that back. I guess Epic Games is trying to do that with the new Unreal Tournament but I have no idea what the status of that title is at.

Kind of hard to tell. I think they're ramping up production because so far this year they've released a build every month and their blog updates are waaaaaay more consistent. But they're also constantly changing and rebalancing stuff in a way that's pissing off the grogs and adding and changing guns so it's very much in flux. I try it once or twice a year but at this point I'm just waiting for a proper release. I've loved it everytime I've played, and I really dig the look, especially after UT3's over-designed aesthetic.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

FirstAidKite posted:

I've had plenty of matches of of league of legends go the same way :shrug: anecdotal evidence and opinions, I doubt there is any conclusive evidence one way or the other.

But you just said you only play against the AI...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

mutata posted:

Quake Champions is not being made by id. I played in the beta too. Gameplay is largely exactly the same as Quake 3/Live but it has all of the bullshit F2P mechanics and monetization between you and the game. There's no real reason to play it over Quake Live, in my opinion. Like none whatsoever. It's kind of weird how it doesn't do ANYTHING better than its predecessors.

Graphics, freeness and the fact that it's new will mean it'll probably get a bigger population.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

precision posted:

Man, slam poetry has gotten weird

To be completely fair, slam poetry was always weird.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
They built a city around an unexploded, quasi-religious nuclear bomb because that's a cool location to visit in a videogame. HTH.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sakurazuka posted:

TF2 could have used a few more stages and Doom '16 a few less

Yes, no.

I'm the type of guy for whom gameplay>anything else, and with a loop as satisfying as Doom's, the game never wore out its welcome.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

corn in the bible posted:

go back to your comic book movies then lmao

To be perfectly fair, Cinema Discusso is the last place you should be looking for movie recommendations.

That said, smdh if La Grande Illusion isn't in your top ten list of films. :smuggo:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

spudsbuckley posted:

You should never trust the opinion of someone who is on New Game+++++ or talks about doing a level 1/no potions/no pants run of a game.

These people are deeply broken and are far beyond being able to give a useful opinion about the game in question anymore.

Bonus points if they actually give the game they've put 100s of hours into a bad review, see: oh so much of Steam.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
My kokoro regret? DayZ, no doubt.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Man, I wish FEAR had developed a proper modding scene. Woulda liked to play more campaigns in that engine.

Nate RFB posted:

Oh I have like 90 Criterions I love, of which Godzilla is one.
Yeah, Jean Reno was great in that.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CJacobs posted:

Also there's a sequence in the first game (maybe the second game?) where Alma is slowly chasing you, and if you try to shoot her there she teleports ahead and catches up to you faster :haw:

Maybe one of the expansion packs? I can never remember which was the good one and which was the bad one.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CJacobs posted:

I bought Prey! The controls are clunky and feel pretty muddy, movement in general is not very fun-feeling, but other than that it's drat good so far.

What did you get it on? I think the PS4 version might still have some input issues, and the controls are generally considered much better on PC than console.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. your right.

also. new rumor info for new assassins creed.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/05/06/report-assassins-creed-origins-is-empire/

if true it looks interesting.

Assassin, chmassin, I wanna see that new Farcry game!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

haveblue posted:

I want to know more about the space game you stole the teaser for in Watchdogs 2. That video had way too high production values to have been made specifically for a sidequest in a minor franchise.

From what I recall, it was a trailer for a real game that got cancelled/put on hold between that video going into WD2 and release. :lol:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Gentlemen. I give you the future of videogames.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

FillInTheBlank posted:

Not many of will play Trackmania2 but it received a large gameplay changing update today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiigUIJuOnA

New blocks, new physics, Lagoon finally being added on May 23rd.

Guess Turbo didn't to so well for them, huh? Not sure I've seen a dev go back and start developing an older game like that before.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't really play games on PC but wouldn't a third person shooter be really awkward on keyboard/mouse

No. Also, what?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Prey is in what some people call the "immersive sim" genre (strange name but it seems to have stuck), where you move through complex interconnected environments and overcome obstacles to progress.
Yeah, I've seen that term bandied around recently and I have no idea who came up with it. Though as I understand it, the subgenre doesn't require carefully interwoven levels, it's more about the way a game's various systems interact with one another. I've seen STALKER and Far Cry 2 described as "immersive sims" for example.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Congratulations to all of the Video Game Vixens, it's an honour just to be nominated.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sakurazuka posted:

Outlast 2 is not fun unless you like rolling around in poo poo

:confused:
I already post on these forums.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Syndicate was only OK. It had that cool, Starbreeze "feel" but the level design and enemy placement was pretty uninspired. Well, I mean, some of the locations you went to were cool to look at, they just weren't great to play. I still remember a later section that was just a narrow bridge with, like, two dozen badmen you had to shoot through.

E: Never played the MP.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Wamdoodle posted:

Ok I liked and even enjoyed the Syndicate FPS but lol to this

I'll say this much; Doom's demo isn't great outside of setting the ridiculous tone. It's too short, linear, and doesn't give you the options that make the game great. It's fine as an introduction to the full campaign, and the following level really gets going, but it's not the best showpiece.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sakurazuka posted:

Far Cry 4 came out in 2014 so there's a good two or three years between each one

He starts to type forgetting until just now that Primal happened

Different lead studio, I think? I skipped Primal and think it would have been better if it were closer to Blood Dragon in length. The underlying gameplay just doesn't seem like it could sustain a full-length Far Cry game.

I hope 5 is good, but I also hope it's not modern-day also.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Rumor I've heard is that FC5 will be set in Montana, you play as some sort of police officer, and the bad guys are crazy, nationalist militia-types. Which fits with the Red, White & Blue logo treatment. Exact time period is uncertain, probably modern, though I'm an idiot so I'm holding out for at least somewhat futuristic.

Dunno how they're gonna justify the whole hunting and crafting system though. Why not just go to the mall?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Palpek posted:

Maybe he'll start wearing actual swastikas.

Nah, if he's trying to shakeup his brand he needs to go from right-totalitarianism to left-totalitarianism and dress like Mao Zedong.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

exquisite tea posted:

It seems like that Song of Thrones show is really popular with the kids these days, what other fantasy setting can we dredge up that these idiots will watch for minimal effort?

I mean, I'd like a Malazan adaptation but that'd require too high a budget to do it justice. Bas-Lag, same thing. Though hey, the Beeb's making a TC&TC miniseries so that's something.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 17, 2017

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Help Im Alive posted:

2017 has really been getting a lot of mileage out of that chef kissing his fingers thing

And like everything else, it's getting tiring to see.

:discourse:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 17, 2017

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Harrow posted:

I heard a while ago they're also doing an adaptation of His Dark Materials, which I really hope goes well.
Oh neat, first I've heard of it. Can't be worse than the movie, ugh, so bad. And yeah, no idea how they'll film the whole crosshatch thing.

Lurdiak posted:

"I'm tired of everything" - Mordja

No, just your posting HEY-YOOOOOOOOO!

Also, yes.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I thought I was enjoying Assassin's Creed Syndicate but then I spent 3 hours trying to beat the last fight club and now I hate everything

Did you ever consider...not spending 3 hours trying to beat a side mission and just ignoring it instead?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CJacobs posted:

Why does anyone even pay the slightest bit of attention to people who say these things

Nooooooo look who you're talking to. Abort! Abort!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Apparently Gwent will have a story campaign and "could be considered The Witcher 4"???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7qL0eiSlzk

I'm playing through Witcher 3 now and avoiding anything Gwent related like the plague.

Well, I guess I'm in the middle of getting Zoltan some cards to pay off his deck but that's it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Lead dude is wearing Gunnars, eSports was the villain all along.

I knew it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Saint Freak posted:

Both people who live in Montana are reportedly 'very offended' and have declared that this does not represent their great state.
This is funny.

exquisite tea posted:

Niiiice, so we really are going to kill all whites in this one.
This shows that you've been spending way too much time on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Turtle shelves are in, confimm/deny?

• Locked thread