Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Real hurthling! posted:

Started xenoblade on 3ds
The textures are so bad i dont think i can use the 3d because it shimmers so badly but drat the game plays great and starts strong

Don't do too many side quests or the difficulty curve will go to poo poo. Your "just do sidequests that look neat" attitude should serve you well.

Unrelated, someone's FTL victory posted recently in the last chat thread inspired me to do a run in Engi A and I came extremely close to my first Engi victory. I was in last phase with final boss ship and almost had it but ran out of drones because I had gotten stuck in a lovely bad loop 5 minutes into the first phase and had to reset it by flying away and fighting him again letting him completely heal :smith:

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

oddium posted:

don't gaslight me

tea jokes a lot.

Early Simpsons was good. I've watched a bunch recently and it still holds up amazingly well, so it's not all nostalgia. Around season 13 or 14 was when it became unwatchable bad.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 1, 2017

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
When all humanity is gone, you become permanently anime.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

The Colonel posted:

i think the bigger problem is less going to be cutscenes themselves and more that god eater plot stuff is just pretty boring and this looks sort of similar

Yeah this. God Eater was boring plot-wise but that didn't stop it from constantly throwing long cutscenes at the player. Nothing nearly as fun as cat-watch, drunken ghost cat, and all the other silly stuff from Nioh.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Golden Week Sale on PSN is pretty solid. Lots of recent JRPG and anime games at 30% off, including Nier:A and Tales of Berseria.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I bounce between. If the character creator lets me make a really close reproduction of myself or the game is extremely heavy on RP, I'll go guy. Otherwise, I'll just go with what looks cool. Some games I pick the lady simply because they have a lot more customization and accessory options.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
$6.50 for a cheese burger combo at In and Out. Pretty decent, usually get it once every week or two. I used to like Five Guys a lot but burnt out on it because we had one next to the office and went like 3 times a week. Now I feel like it's all too greasy, including the fries.

We also have Whataburger and P.Terry's in Austin and they're both solid choices over McD's or BK's.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Do you fucks with the animal style? Cause I fucks with the animal style.

Partner does, not me. I am not about the grilled onions.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Dunkin sucks. Go to local places. If you're lucky enough to have a Spudnuts nearby, savor it

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Quest For Glory II posted:

Ace Combat 7
Battlefront II
Cyberpunk 2077 (maybe this year finally)
Death Stranding
Destiny 2
Detroit: Become Human
Dragon Quest XI
Mario Odyssey
Middle-Earth: Shadow of War
Red Dead Redemption 2
The Last of Us 2

These all look at least interesting to me and a few feel guaranteed to be good. I think Ubisoft and EA just don't have a lot to show so numbers are down.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Andrast posted:

Their best is always poo poo.

There are a ton of good vegan/vegetarian dishes but none of them are ones that try to replicate the taste of meat.

This isn't true, but this argument might actually be sillier than internet pizza arguments.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Andrast posted:

Are burgers sandwiches?

Refer to the sandwich alignment chart.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

The Kins posted:

This has no single answer, it differs depending on where you live.

Personally, and this is just my opinion, a burger is cooked or fried while a sandwich is either uncooked or toasted.

Ahem. Pastrami?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Nate RFB posted:

I'm like, extraordinarily impressed with how good the Switch looks (well, Mario Kart at least) in handheld mode. It definitely looks great on my TV but it just looks mesmerizing in handheld somehow.

Higher pixel density, fewer pixels to push to. Games in general look and perform better in the handheld mode than in dock mode.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
2B's in a bad mood. But I won't fall for it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

raditts posted:

pretty sure you can draw the line of "fan fiction" at "officially sanctioned canon" but what do I know

See Star Wars EU pre-Disney. Your tabletop Star Wars game was canon.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I can think of multiple times when big name writers incorporated their own fanfic / headcanon into the franchise they were running.

Share some instances. I find this kind of thing interesting.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Halo 3 was a ton of fun to do split screen multiplayer on. Coop campaign was fun in all the Halos I played as well, the vehicles were a blast and all the physics simulation stuff never got old for me. The enemy AI was surprisingly decent for the time too, where enemies would panic and take cover and then stage flanks and poo poo. Kind of surprised VG wished he never played it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

The White Dragon posted:

tfw u smoke weed and u think about gravity instead of playin video games

And you're either dumb as rocks or just being silly.

So I was one of the people who played and beat Andromeda. It is a frustrating experience to say the least. It's not some Mass Effect 3-level thing where the ending is utterly poo poo but it's incredibly uneven in quality. Some things are great like the broken up world, a bunch of the quests, the graphics in general, a lot of the logs you can read, and certain characters like Drack and (surprisingly) Peebee. The conversations the characters have while you drive around in your space monster truck doing stuff tend to be really well done. The combat abilities are generally really fun to mess with.

On the other hand, lots of the quests are poorly put together, some are written so poorly it can be hard to follow what's going on (the human dude's character quest comes to mind), the animations are famously bizarre and substandard, the difficulty scaling is absolutely hosed up (normal is too easy and becomes a joke by the end, hard is too hard as enemies hit 100% of the time you're not in cover and some do horrid amounts of damage while being able to easily negate your cover by floating around), that well-done party repartee I mentioned earlier gets interrupted all the time, and the multiplayer was for a long time kind of a clusterfuck because one faction in particular has two monsters that can one-hit you and the game would throw tons of them at you in Silver and Gold difficulty. That last thing got fixed though.

Oh yeah, the game also glitches out a lot where characters would talk as if I made different choices than I made, like flags got flipped wrong or something. Hilariously, one silly side quest toward the end of the game that is supposed to end with the player character and their chosen husbando/waifu snuggling on a couch had the player character's model invisible making for an awkward view of the husbando/waifu snuggling nothing.

I still love the original trilogy minus that lovely ending but man was Andromeda rough.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 11, 2017

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Square Enix is back on the shitlist.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Prey you don't get a corrupted save ha ha ha

The game looks really cool but I'm gonna let them shake the bugs out before I get to it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

James Woods Fan posted:

I liked this franchise. It was trash but it was entertaining. Except the jungle section of the first one. Man that sucked and it looked terrible.

If it wasn't for that franchise, GiantBomb wouldn't exist so I guess all the fans of them should be appreciative.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

In Training posted:

Who would have guessed that in 2017 the most successful and surprising and fun developer/publisher would be SEGA lol.

Some people would have but no one would have guessed the truth, which was that it would be Guerilla Games.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I can't stop watching this. I can't not stop imagining her talking in a low slow-motion voice telling her cousin to stop hitting on her.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Yikes

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I'm pretty sure Kasumi is underage.

All the characters in DOA are listed in game to be at least 18 in the western releases if I remember correctly, even though they're listed younger in Japan. That might have changed when they added the younger-looking character(s) in the later games though...

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Healbot posted:

So is Rikku.

Also this. Riku was 16 in the game that introduced her in a sexy reveal of removing her disguise/swimgear.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Bloodborne was a game that was scary to me because the imagery and gameplay gelled extremely well. I did feel extremely helpless at times too but was so engrossed that I kept at it and got pretty good. You should probably play it Lurdiak. It's easily in my list of top 10 games of all time.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
HZD is an action game with weak RPG elements. It's about as much of an RPG as MonHun I guess. Great game, but not a "notable RPG." That game informer list sounds ok though Skyrim would rank in the back 50 for me personally.

I say this as my nephew just told me today it was his favorite all time game but he's 15 and it was the first RPG he ever played and got into and he loves other not-boring games. Teenagers with nostalgia, sheesh.

The real question is where they put New Vegas, Fallout 1/2, Xenogears, and Dragonfall on that list. If they're in the back 50, burn it to the ground.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

The White Dragon posted:

brah no laugh, when we were in boarding school my buddy got the ~10th anniversary~ ff4 retranslation patch and he was like

"dizz poo poo is now officially classic"

Fair enough. I remember going "just like Kain :allears:" when I saw the Dragoon armor at FF11's release, all nostalgic about it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Finished Picross e5 tonight, I'm definitely beating these things quicker than they can make them now.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Saint Freak posted:

Happy Mother's Day to the Sole Survivor of Vault 111

Jane Fallout, indeed a cool mom when cosplaying as a detective from a 40's radio show.

Also the demon lady who gives birth to millions of demon babies in Drakengard.

Also GAIA

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Nothing nightmare inducing about that at all.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Then super give up. On not chasing your dreams!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

glam rock hamhock posted:

Kickstarted games also include FTL, Hyper Light Drifter, Kentucky Route Zero, Shantae, Superhot, the new Torment, Shadowrun, Lisa, Pillars of Eternity, Darkest Dungeons, Sportsfriends, Freedom Planet, Risk of Rain, The Fall, Octodad, Some of the best pinball tables ever for Pinball Arcade, Valdis Story, Volgarr The Viking, Divinity, Divekick, Hollow Knight and probably others.

I mean, don't get me wrong, the ratio of good to bad Kickstarter games is skewed heavily towards the mediocre to terrible but when people act like Shovel Knight is only good thing to come out of Kickstarter, I find it a bit disingenuous.

This. I don't care if Kickstarter mostly sucks, it got me FTL and Shadowrun and they're a couple of my favorite games from the last few years.

Speaking of which, inspired by Captain Invictus, I started playing a bunch of FTL again and have gotten a ton of normal mode victories though Engi victories still evade me. Once I pull that off, maybe I'll move up to hard.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

DLC Inc posted:

more people bought zelda switch than actual switches which is crazy

I guess it makes sense that games on XB1/PS4/PC sold better than stuff only on PS4 or on Switch. poo poo like Zelda, Persona, Horizon, Yakuza won't reach that plateau.

Pretty much. Those Ubisoft games are "pretty alright" at best but they are marketed like crazy and available on every platform and made to appeal to lots of undiscerning people. Horizon and Zelda sold really well but they're limited platform and even though Persona and Yakuza sold really well compared to earlier entries in the series, they're single platform bound and more niche.

Also even though the bone is kind of a failure, there are more in the wild than there are WiiU's and Switches combined and the people who own them don't have a lot of games to choose from so they'll buy up those multiplatform oatmeal games. Even if Horizon or Persona were to outsell Wildlands on the PS4 (I am pretty sure they didn't), bone sales would more than make up the difference. Add in the PC sales and well...

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 16, 2017

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I'm almost as surprised to find out Ubisoft is me-too-big with a western theme around the release of RDR2 as I am to find out Guy Mann is a vaping enthusiast because of course he is.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I'm sure Ubisoft's myriad game systems will apply wonderfully to the setting and make for a memorable experience.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Valve is lovely for sure and GOG is a decent alternative but the other two competitors in that space are EA and Microsoft. EA might be one of the most hated company in gaming and when I gave their store a chance, they burned me twice. If DRM and privacy are concerns for PC gamers, I have bad news about the OS that Microsoft is currently selling. Also the current Windows store might actually be worse than MS' last attempt a Windows digital gaming service because this one causes games to perform noticeably worse than if bought from a competitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
From elsewhere, a couple of good point on Valve

CrashCat posted:

valve is so not your friend that they flew a bunch of the most popular internet video game people in to show them all the things they wanted to consider to fix the poo poo that people have been complaining about the most and to get their input on which make the most sense from their experience and what they know of their audience

meanwhile, nintendo shits in a bag on your doorstep, lights it on fire and someone runs by and points at it, saying, Man, that would be PERFECT on Switch

but yeah, wake up sheeple, valve just doesn't care

• Locked thread