Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Jon Jones ever fight in the UFC again?
This poll is closed.
Yes 59 56.73%
No 45 43.27%
Total: 104 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Bispings pretty old too to be fair.. hes only a few years younger than Silva and a bunch older than Rockhold. Hes been fighting for a long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Well Bisping took the fight on short notice and it was Rockholds to lose and he lost. Cant be at your best every night, theres a reason why really long win streaks are impressive even if you arent fighting the best of the best, especially when youre the champ and everyones gunning for you. The fight definitely "counts"

As far as ducking Jacare goes. Jacare fought someone good for the first time in the post USADA era and looked like poo poo and got hosed up. If hes ducking anyone now its Romero (also a steroid cheater) or Whittaker (basically bisping but better at everything)

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

handsome only face posted:

everyone at middleweight is 40 years old or more and sucks just like heavyweight. that's why Bisping & Miocic look the same in the pics

Yeah the situation outside of like the top 5 is really insanely lovely right now for every division MW and above

Johny Hendricks has one fight at MW following 3 straight losses at WW -- he took Lombard to decision. Lombard is 0-4 in the past 3 years with two brutal KO losses and a pop for steroids. Hendricks is the 12th rated MW

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

The two have nothing in common stylistically. Definitely not enough to conclude that they are the same fighter.

If you say so dude

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

1st AD posted:

And neither is well rounded as a striker.

lol

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Rigel posted:

Nate Diaz has a bench press in his living room.

https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/859869720446615552

lol

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Nate is cool i hope hes made enough money that he doesnt have to fight anymore if he doesnt want to

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
125 division will be alright as long as they dont push too many crappy fights between girls who are 1-4 in their last 5 onto the main card of PPVs because they feel like they have to build up the division

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
If anything Ronda would be good at 125 and having her at a new weight class would be one of the more credible excuses to bring her back out of the woods and give her an instant title shot

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I always laugh when friends who are about a chubby 170 lbs are like "lol 135 pounds??" when if they lost their gut and got in shape theyd be 150 and could cut to 135

115 is pushing it though

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Work Friend Keven posted:

Yeah for sure, those guys microwave their wine.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Dana is right that Nate vs Eddie Alvarez or whatever would do lovely numbers headlining a PPV, just because he was a good foil for Conor doesnt mean hes a giant draw, i dont know why people get so worked up about that. He already said he just wants to ride bike anyway

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Work Friend Keven posted:

They're extremely popular and would be huge money draws if they A were slightly better and could fight for belts without losing to random dudes and B would actually promote in the wider media. Also it doesn't help that they don't seem to want to fight very much at this point. If you wanted you could probably get the belt onto nick and reproduce his Strikeforce run and make a lot of money but realistically I don't think he wants it enough at this point.

Yah

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Thats my wife

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Theyre doing that except instead of huge dudes its small dudes and theyre hitting at like 30% power

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Well i mean there is some truth to that idea that with smaller gloves and all the options you have in MMA its not as appealing to just flick out a boxing style jab to feel the guy out. Back in the Vitor/Wanderlei/etc days when lots of the best strikers were guys who would just blitz you with power shots. Lots of guys got punished for lovely jabs. But of course the solution isnt to never throw a straight punch with your lead hand its to adapt it to MMA and get good at it like GSP

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Bundt Cake posted:

Every fighter you train with is dumber than tim sylvia who defended a ufc title with jabs

lol but to be fair remember when he threw a lazy jab against Ray Mercer and got knocked out by an overhand

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Neurosis posted:

I think Jeremy Horn is cool

He is

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Skip My Posts posted:

whats a biological passport?

Basically they have a record of a bunch of biological variables and they track changes over time for anything suspicious that would indicate PED use. Especially PEDs that are hard to test for through normal methods

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Its cool in some ways and not cool in other ways.. sorry but thats how I feel

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Soon they can announce that Mc gregor vs Mayweather isnt happening either and then everything will be back to the sensible normal status quo (Romero beats Bisping then pops for steroids and retires and Bisping also retires and they do Derek brunson vs Vitor for the interim belt)

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

tesilential posted:

The genetic passport is lovely because a fighter can fail retroactively and be punished because certain "levels" have "changed." IMO it's unethical to find guilt when they haven't even identified that a banned substance was taken to begin with.

:siren:Bad analogy incoming :siren: It'd be like the police comparing your bank statements and salary from 5 years ago and determining that you had too much money running through your account, therefore you are guilty of armed robbery.

Thats not what happens, they keep your old samples and if levels change suspiciously they can re-test the old samples with a better idea of what theyre looking for. Penne got flagged because of unusual variation in the passport and they went back and tested an old sample and found a banned substance

A better analogy is that they look at your bank statement and you have too much money running through your account so they look into it and find out you committed armed robbery, therefore you are guilty of armed robbery

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
lol, beaten

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Medical surveillance is bad but were talking about people beating each other up for entertainment, its probably less concerning that some sanctioning body has your hematocrit levels on record than if they half-assed the drug testing like in other sports and the guy making 11/11 gets his head caved in by a guy who can afford to abuse designer PEDs

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

tesilential posted:

I'm not talking about Penne.

I recall reading the actual USADA policy regarding Genetic passport and it explicitly stated if things seem out of whack they could punish a fighter without actually identifying which banned substance was taken. Could be recalling incorrectly but I remember that standing out at the time, will try to find the quote again.

They can in theory but they dont really. It wouldnt hold up when the athlete appeals unless there was a ton of evidence . Its happened a few times when someones hormone levels go up 10x overnight or something that cant be explained physiologically by any other means, and at that point its not really any different than conventional drug testing that looks for biological markers of drug use

99% of the cases they see some suspicious levels and they retest the sample and find something

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

There is no argument against "PED"s that makes any sense. If you're an athlete, ideally, everything that you put into your body is a PED, and to differentiate between a banana and a steroid is retarded. Yes, even if your job is to concuss your opponent

Thats cool that you think so, in the real world though steroids are illegal

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

So everyone whose opinion matters thinks steroids should be illegal in MMA and the "whats the difference between steroids and a banana really" argument is lame

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Two wrongs dont make a right and its easier to police whether guys inject themselves with horse steroids than whether they ate a healthy breakfast. Theres your answer for why PEDs are illegal even though fighting is already bad for you

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Well now we dont get to hear the rest of the libertarian personal responsiblity argument for 6 hours

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

david carmichael posted:

Many PEDs aren't illegal

Oh yeah i meant illegal to use in MMA. You can do whatever you want otherwise imo

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

tesilential posted:

I'd rather fighters not do steroids and not cut weight. Both would be immensely beneficial for their health. Ultimately I just want to watch good fights, and cancelling fights is worse for the sport [fans] than roids or weight cuts or whatever.

Cancelling fights of guys that are cheating is good for the sport

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

tesilential posted:

Obviously you've never attended an event or purchased a PPV.

DUhhhhh buhhhh

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Bisping gets dropped a lot but hes tough and recovers well.. Romero should probably beat him but instead he will drop him in the first then get tired and lose 4 rounds and everyone will wonder why he Forgot to Wrestle (tm)

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

big money big clit posted:

I know it's heavyweight and all, but drat, first round KOs of Werdum, Overeem, and JDS all in a row is impressive as hell.

Yah its an extremely impressive run

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Has MM said anything about being willing to do something like that? He doesnt seem like hed be into it

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Skip My Posts posted:

mm said he would rather fight a guy from his division who "earned it" or something. since tj doesnt have the belt he isnt that interested. bullshit mang

Yeah that sounds more like him

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I choose to believe that stupid fight still isnt gonna happen. Theyll find some reason for it not to, theyve done a really good job of keeping it in the news though

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Helwani saying on Twitter that Romero v Whittaker for the interim Middleweight title is in the works.

Thats probably the best MW title fight available right now imo

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
You can see in the old no rules/vale tudo fights that downward elbows dont do much against a guy taking you down, theyre really nasty when you are in mount or back control though. So just like knees to the head of a downed opponent it turns out to be more of a help to grapplers than an anti-grappler weapon like people want it to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Lol

• Locked thread