Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I mean, that's amazing news for Thor. It's not his elbow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

Judge and Toe are rebels, will not abide by your "No Borrowing Uniforms" signs.

THIS TEAM IS SO FREAKIN FUN

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

pasaluki posted:

Hell at this point I'm surprised Machado isn't doing a slow rendition of the Michigan J Frog whenever he hits a homerun against them, he loving hates the Red Sox.

gently caress the Red Sox. gently caress Chris Sale. This would own so hard

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I saw a drunk Yankees fan beat the piss out of a drunk Mets fan in the nose bleeds of Yankees stadium.

That's probably the most unique thing I've seen.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Poque posted:

I have literally 0 recollection of Pedro Martinez ever being on the Phillies :confused:

Yeah and the Yankees kicked his rear end

ZenVulgarity posted:

Aaron judge is cool and good

:same:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Grittybeard posted:

As a side note to that story wow was Albert Belle robbed of the MVP in 1995.

I could see giving it to Edgar maybe, bur Mo Vaughn was flat out worse at everything.

Albert Belle is a weird way to spell Edgar Martinez

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Paul Zuvella would like to announce that I hope he gets better soon

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The only thing I know about Johnson is he's really into Jesus.

He's actually a pretty great photographer: http://rj51photos.com/

Also his logo is a dead bird, which is unequivocally the coolest thing in the world

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

WAS... was that Matt Harvey's dildo?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I'm going to my first Phillies game in forever. What massively overpriced foodstuff should I buy?

get a good old fashioned hot dog sandwhich with its only topping; mustard

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Meet the mets.
Meet the mets.
Stand right up and grieve the mets!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Niwrad posted:

Unpopular opinion but I don't like Ronnie Woo Woo.

Homeless people who yell things are fun unless it's the homeless lady in boston who walks while staring into a mirror and either:

a) Screams a horrible, ear shattering scream

b) Yells racial slurs at people

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Tim Tebow is legit doing way, way, way better than I ever thought he'd do in A-Ball, and even then he is a dude who can barely play LF who OPSs .700. His upside is not Willie Bloomquist. It's nowhere near Willie Bloomquist.

Willie Bloomquist was a dude who could literally play every single position not named Catcher or Center Field at near league average standards. That's insane. He was never great offensively but his career OPS is less than 50 points lower than what Tim Tebow is doing at Age 29, where is he 7 and a half years older than the average player in Single A ball

Tim Tebows upside is a dude who flames out at AA, he should flame out in Single-A but the Mets are a garbage organization who are poor and need the money.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Grittybeard posted:

Wait a second is this actually real?

If so does...does it look better from a different angle?

Lol you got owned

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Grittybeard posted:

Is it the Ronaldo thing?

It is indeed!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Derek Jeter is literally the 10th best shortstop in the history of Major League Baseball by WAR.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

tadashi posted:

If he can realistically get on pace for 90, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Reds cut him loose and try for 100, as long as they don't worry about him getting injured.

Billy Hamilton is the most frustrating player in the history of baseball because if he had literally one offensive skill other than running fast he would be amazing.

I wonder how many players in modern baseball history have stolen more bases than they have drawn walks. It's probably a short list.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Julio Cruz posted:

Jeter's a HoFer, but I think it's fair to say he wouldn't be a first-ballot near-unanimous guy if he wasn't a Yankee. His case is based on longevity and counting stats rather than peak performance and the Yankees kept him at/near the top of the lineup for 5 seasons after he'd become a below-average player.

Derek Jeter was a "below average" hitter for literally 3 seasons. His first, his last, and 2010.

In 2012 he had an OBP of .368 and was the third highest on the team. He was 38.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I hate the fact that I am on here defending Derek Jeter because he is boring as poo poo and couldnt field to save his life, but maybe don't make up facts when you're complaining about him!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Poque posted:

and nondescript Mike Trout is set to surpass his career WAR by his age 28 season :v:

this is not intended to be a criticism of Jeter, just an eyepopping number from Trout

At a certain point we are going to need just a thread for Mike Trout Facts.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Why the gently caress does anyone care what or what is not on ESPN these days, their broadcasts are garbage.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Julio Cruz posted:

I didn't say "below average hitter", I said "below average player".

Derek Jeter's WAA:

2010: -0.7
2011: -0.9
2012: -0.3
2013: -0.9
2014: -1.9

Any more questions?

You specifically mentioned batting "him at/near the top of the lineup" which super seems to imply that you were talking about hitting but yea, He was pretty bad at fielding in those later years.

Julio Cruz posted:

That's exactly my point. Other teams would have cut/benched/at the very least moved down the order a SS that age with that little production, but the Yankees didn't because they wanted him to get 3000 hits to boost his HoF credentials.

What on earth does his defense have to do with him batting at the top of the order? He was legit the Yankees best option as a #2 dude, at least until Jacoby got there.

"Derek we know you have an OBP of .360 but your defense is really bad so you're going to bat 8th"

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 15, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

What does this have to do with anything?

Naw man the yankees should have started *checks roster*

Eduardo Nunez!

But seriously, taking defense into consideration when putting together a batting order may be one of the stupidest things I've ever seen posted here.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

I mean, he's right that Jeter shouldn't have been hitting in the 2-spot those years but I still fail to see how that reflects poorly on him, he wasn't a player-manager.

Let's take a look. Most managers use OBP as the key factors as to who bats 1/2.

2009: Highest OBP on the team.
2010: No argument here! He is bad!
2011: 4th Highest OBP on the team, behind Gardy (who typically batted first, A-Rod and Swisher)
2012: 3rd Highst OP on the team behind Cano and Swisher
2013: He barely played so who cares
2013: His retirement party.

Now, why exactly is it such an issue that he was batting 2nd?

Julio Cruz posted:

And the Yankees organization in general, yes. My point is that Jeter's HoF case is based on his counting numbers, and the Yankees helped boost those numbers by not benching/cutting him when he was not a very good player any more, and that a non-Yankee Jeter has a much tougher argument for HoF consideration.

He is the 10th greatest shortstop in the history of the game by WAR and 14th by JAWS

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Julio Cruz posted:

On the JAWS leaderboard he's in between Alan Trammell, who was never voted into the HoF, and Barry Larkin, who was 3rd ballot.

Oh my god he is between a dude on the hall of fame and another dude who should be in the hall of fame.

Call the loving presses we have a story here!

You have to know your audience here, dude. People either think that a dude in a hall of famer or not, no one really cares if he is "near unanimous" or not except for the dumbass writers who vote on this poo poo.

You know who else should be a near unanimous hall of famer? Curt Schilling, and that dude is a loving rear end in a top hat and I hate him.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 15, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

It would seem that the root of your issue is how people vote on the Baseball hall of fame, not Derek Jeter.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Julio Cruz posted:

My issue, which I keep having to come back to, is that Jeter's case is better for him having been a Yankee than it would be had he been on another team. This is clearly not his fault and I certainly have never said I blame him for it.

yeah but is the difference between him being an 8th ballot guy or a 1st ballot guy really that big of a deal?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Joey Freshwater posted:

All this Jeter talk and WAR made me wonder what Chipper's was, since he also spent his entire career with one team (and I'm a dirty homer). Turns out Chipper is 6th all time among third basemen and the only three guys in the top ten NOT in the HOF are Chipper, Adrian Beltre and Scott Rolen, who weren't/aren't eligible for the HOF yet. Chipper and Rolen are eligible this year.

Chipper is first ballot and anyone who says differently should shove themselves in a locker.

Scott Rolen maybe had the most boringly great career.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Maybe if the Blue Jays did some steroids then their team wouldnt suck so bad.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I mean, really guys. Barrold was probably doping long before the end of his career.

He also is still the greatest baseballsman ever so who loving cares.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Walrus posted:

Couple pages back but lol at people thinking Bonds should be in the HoF. Sorry, cheaters don't get in. He was a very very good cheater, yes. If he hadn't cheated he would have still been better than 99.999% of players. It's too bad but there's no 'oh you were this good so cheating is ok' threshold

Look at this loving idiot

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Walrus posted:

the fact everyone else was doing it, or it was tacitly endorsed, or whatever excused for cheating you want to put on it are irrelevant. he was cheating and got caught. all records are suspect.

Hank Aaron, Mickey Mantle, and Willie Mays all admitted to cheating over the course of their careers through gratuitous use of amphetamines. Should they be removed from the hall?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Spoeank posted:

nobody tell The Walrus about greenies

oops

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Walrus posted:

If they were caught taking them then yes. If they just claim/admit to have taken them no.

Barry Bonds was literally never caught cheating.

e: beaten.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Walrus posted:

Twenty-six adult male subjects were given a placebo, 20 mg. of amphetamine sulfate, or 800 mg. of meprobamate two hours prior to the administration of tests of reaction time and movement time. No statistically significant differences were found between mean scores or variances for the substances tested. It appears that neither drug in dosages commonly employed in connection with the preparation of athletes for competition has any effect on human simple reaction time or simple movement time in response to a visual stimulus.

What the gently caress are you even doing at this point.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

If any of you yelled a gay slur audibly after you hosed up doing your job you'd be in HRs office so fast your head would spin. Don't pretend that because these guys play sports that they need to be held to a different standard.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Julio Cruz posted:

"I remember when you used to be good" says the dumbass to the 5th-best 1B in the game.

5th best is like, a huge understatement. He's #1 or #2.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

NiceGuy posted:

You're trying to tell Joey loving Votto that he's not any good? :psyduck:

I mean jeez, I can't even think of a good way to heckle the guy. He's not particularly bad at anything, is he? "Ay Joey you suck at stealing! Why's Billy Hamilton so much better than you??"

He is pretty meh defensivly at first base.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Why do people still try to name things via online votes. Literally everyone knows what's going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

bawfuls posted:

All time career WHIP leaderboard:

1 - Addie Joss, deadballer who died of tuberculosis at age 31
2 - Clayton loving Kershaw
3 - Ed Walsh, deadballer & owner of career ERA and FIP records
4 - Mariano Rivera, greatest reliever ever

Kershaw is arguable having the best pitcher career through 10 seasons ever.

He only has 133 wins.

This is convincing me that we will never see a 300 game winner again.

• Locked thread