Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Poque posted:

look Ryan Braun can go screw

https://youtube.com/watch?v=3OfcxUiZCHQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Sydin posted:

He should consider starting a pokemon card collection imo

Our shortstop is just team chess champion and commits a lot of errors. :(

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

sharknado slashfic posted:

Keep it classy Boston.

Plus the left field fans faking out the O's fielder with an "I got it!" If only right field were up to some shenanigans last night, maybe organizing a fundraiser for the Wahlbergs or something, it could just be a whole outfield worth of awful New Englanders.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Reminder for the new thread that Pancakes, Inspector_666, and myself will be meeting up in Wicker Park, Chicago, this Saturday (May 6) for lunch. If you're interested in joining us, shoot me a PM.

Bonus points if you can also come up with a good joke that begins with "a Cubs fan, a Cardinals fan, and a Yankees fan walk into a bar". :v:

I was going to say "And ESPN covers it for three hours" but, well, not anymore...

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Reading the comments from Sox fans about Machado is hilarious. Is this what BFiB is like for you guys? This is great.

Poque posted:

last night was my first time seeing a balk in person at a game, so that was cool. scratch another one off the ol' baseball bucket list

You have a ring, are you even allowed to have a bucket list anymore?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Walked posted:

Heyo; just got literal row 1 tickets to Friday's game. I've had some pretty baller seats over the years; but never the very first row.

Pretty pumped for that :unsmith:

Be careful not to visibly sulk about your team losing (or getting eliminated). They put you on TV looking all glum if you do that in the first row.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
I've never seen a balk live that I can remember. Odd/cool/bad things I've seen live: Catcher's interference, Yadier Molina triple, Beltran's 1,000th career XBH, Estrada taking a no-no into the 8th, go-ahead pinch hit RBI double by Wainwright in extras, Wainwright blowing out his Achilles.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

ZenVulgarity posted:

I have a Cooperstown Jersey of Ruth with a name

Does that come with a +5 modifier to any Dinger or Drinking skill checks?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
N: Cardinals rained out again, so have an adorable Dex video.

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/859524170778005504?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
I should point out that the 2015 NLDS is tied for my favorite series of all time with the 2011 World Series. Yes, we lost. To the Cubs, even. However, I got to take my dad to Game 4 (and my write-up for it was super Field of Dreams-y) and that series was also when I met Kevlar and Poque. Totally worth the Cards losing in October, I just hope they don't make a habit of it.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

ChiTownEddie posted:

Sigh. I realize the Cubs are very good, but man I am yeaaaaars from stating something like this.

It came on the heels of 4 straight NLCS appearances, including a championship and a pennant. If ever there were a time I'd have had the attitude that it was someone else's turn, that year was it.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Someone please inform Schilling that he can't shoot the moon on his toxic personality in some crazed bid to make it into the Hall.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
I honestly can't think of another team that handles internal problems and the media worse than the Mets. Maybe the White Sox in the Drake Saga, but that's about it in recent memory.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Inspector_666 posted:

But yes, good times.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Just wanted to say I had a great time hanging out with Inspector_666, Pancakes, and RD Mangles this afternoon. Let's do it again sometime. :cheers:

That was super fun and you guys are all good people, both for tolerating my request for a vegetarian-friendly pizza and for not breaking my legs for wearing a Cardinals hat.

Tom Gorman posted:

I was there too!

Watching. And taking notes.

Just in case you were missing out on the audio, when I put my hat on indoors it was to lend gravity to my categorical denouncement of St. Louis style pizza. Yes, we had pizzachat in person. Life is just a rehash of the N/V thread sometimes. Oddly, only Kevlar had heard of this abomination beforehand .

Ice Fist posted:

It was fun meeting you guys. The game was fun although holy poo poo I was freezing the whole game, it wasn't unberable temperature-wise, but it was super drafty in the 200s which made it sort of miserable unless you're a bear of a human being like our friend from NY.

Aren't you from Wisconsin? Saturday was t-shirt weather. Also, welcome to the baseball thread. Stay a while, you've got god on your side this year.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Hot pizza take: I thought the ricotta/mushroom/garlic pizza was better than the pepperoni/sausage one. It might also be because I love mushrooms and Poque hates them so I rarely ever get a chance to eat a pizza with them.

It's sad that he's such a downer when it comes to pizza. He's usually such a fungi.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

ALFbrot posted:

I, too, remember the front office directing Starling Marte to use performance-enhancing drugs, and Jung-Ho Kang to drunk drive a ton and also maybe rape a lady, and dipping Jameson Taillon's cups in radioactive waste, and also they used the talent-sucking basketball from Space Jam on Andrew McCutchen, and they keep telling Gregory Polanco that if he ever shows too many signs of reaching his gargantuan potential they'll shoot a dog in front of him

Fun fact: At least three if not all four of the baseball posters at the meetup this weekend admitted that we have one regular SAS poster on ignore. It was Tayne for all of us.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Mike_V posted:

Magneuris Sierra has insane speed, but is somehow unable to regularly steal bases. What the gently caress is wrong with the Cardinals organization when it comes to baserunning?

I assume Rickey Henderson issued some kind of curse against the entire organization just in case Lou Brock ever decided to come back.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
N: Grichuk has opinions about the Dinger Machine.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=my9HQDGXpCI

V: Grichuk really sounds like he should be surfing. At least he doesn't like the Dinger Machine.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Cardinals prospect Daniel Poncedeleon had to have surgery to relieve cranial pressure after being hit in the head by a comebacker. When the hell are they going to just force pitchers to wear the hats with better protection?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Weird. I'm usually a lucky charm; I lived in New England in '04, St. Louis in '06 and Chicago in '17. I buy tickets for my first game ever at Citi field for next month and the entire team explodes.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

bawfuls posted:

to be fair, you're both Cubs posters with very similar names and Baez avatars, I still only barely know the difference

I'll admit it, I used to confuse them too.

Aye Doc posted:

do you think teebs foots the bill for the sodas and dogs when the boys go out after the game?

Of course not. You just know that dim bastard's a believer in prosperity theology and/or bootstrapping.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Timby posted:

Aren't Bryant, Russell, Heyward and Jay all hurting? They need some short-term utility help.

Ahf' ah Butler ahornah mgsyha'h ah'mglw'nafh. Vulgtmah l' Maddon, lord ot halls ot li llll Clark

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

I do love how it's always the old, not in any real danger of being plunked starters who talk poo poo like this. Lester, Lackey, etc. I hate the stupid faux-macho posturing that comes with this and am super not looking forward to whichever Cardinals player will feel obliged to respond, either in the press or by throwing at a Cub.

E: Betting on Yadi somehow instigating.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Popete posted:

I don't think he's referring to the Cardinals. I think he's saying in general that the slide rule is making players "pansies" which is a stupid statement but I don't see why the Cardinals would take offense to it.

It's not like the Cardinals enforce the rule.

You're probably right and I'm willing to give Lester the benefit of the doubt. That being said, do you really trust the Cardinals to not take offense here? Even though we don't have LaRussa anymore, this team absolutely can find ways to get pissy unnecessarily.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Last year they finished the season 13 games above their pythag. Maybe the Rangers are just very good at being lucky.

Hmm...
Trigger warning for Rangers fans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxmYPUSMAek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEEOZpdp9bo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITFx8FYQ31Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1vDF0hSfoA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqAEEjyXvUQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQzFYOe7pAU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMQJya1AyXQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cVh3XfVFjA

If the Rangers are lucky that luck sure as hell runs out with a quickness every October.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Mike_V posted:

Wow, I didn't realize Billy Hamilton already has 19 SB in just 34 games. What's a realistic outcome if he can stay healthy, 90?

He'll get hit in the kneecap by a mustachioed man named Hickey Renderson first.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Paul Zuvella posted:

Billy Hamilton is the most frustrating player in the history of baseball because if he had literally one offensive skill other than running fast he would be amazing.

I wonder how many players in modern baseball history have stolen more bases than they have drawn walks. It's probably a short list.

Peter Bourjos in 2010.

E: Allan Lewis has 44 career SB and 1 walk ever.

Pancakes fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 15, 2017

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Pancakes posted:

Peter Bourjos in 2010.

E: Allan Lewis has 44 career SB and 1 walk ever.

Update: Matt Alexander had 103 career SB versus 18 BB.

E: And Don Hopkins had 21 and 2, respectively.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Matt Alexander's 1975 season is weird and adorable. 63 games, 11 plate appearances, 17 stolen bases, 10 caught stealing, 1 walk, 1 hit, -0.5 WAR and -17 OPS+.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Inspector_666 posted:

This is where people are really loving losing me on the Jeter hate train.

ESPN televised a retirement ceremony put on by the Yankees. ESPN didn't retire his number, they didn't put together a show, they didn't put a plaque of him up in CF, the Yankees did. Regardless of how you think Jeter's entire career measures up to another player, the idea that in the Yankee pantheon he's anything less than a legend and the face of the franchise for a decade+ is loving ridiculous.

I'll entertain the HoF arguments (I mean, he is a hall of famer) but when you talk about him going into monument park and say poo poo like "Yeah but Griffey had a better WAR!" you're just outing yourself as a moron.

(ESPN is poo poo and should have televised Griffey's ceremoy too if they didn't.)

I'm annoyed that ESPN favors specific franchises when it comes to sentimentality for retiring players. I get it, Rivera and Jeter are Hall of Famers, but Ortiz, for instance, got a months-long love-fest from the national media while Todd Helton or Paul Konerko got ignored. I won't complain when they focus on Yadi in four years, but it'll be hypocritical of me. If you were a notable player on the Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals, Cubs, Dodgers or Giants then you're more likely to get a ton of attention. Otherwise I feel like ESPN doesn't give a drat.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Grittybeard posted:

I think he probably will be, but who knows. He definitely gets in at some point no matter what though. I'm more worried about Rolen because

I look at Rolen, Edmonds and Pujols and it's a loving crime that lineup only won one series on a bullshit 83-win season. Also, Edmonds deserved more than a one-and-done.

Pancakes fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 15, 2017

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
N: Matheny has good opinions and makes valid points, makes Maddon seem crotchety, old and dumb (in my opinion).

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/base...15140b6b50.html

V: I don't care if it's just on one issue. I'm scared, somebody hold me.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I read this earlier, please turn this into a clickbait article titles "Mike Matheny Totally Eviscerates Joe Maddon." Funny how the manager of a team that broke two legs has this "man up" opinion about the pansy slide rules.

"Mike Matheny tackles Joe Maddon (rhetorically), gives him concussion (metaphorically)"

"Mike Matheny sweeps the legs out from under Joe Maddon's bullshit"

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Popete posted:

Matheny might want to have a chat with Fowler then.

He did. It says that in the article I linked to.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Popete posted:

Good job Mike Matheny!

:glomp:SAS posters are much better at reasonable discussion than most sports sites. Film at 11.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

If Ozzie "Career .262/.337/.328" Smith can make it into the hall while playing in the steroid era, then just let everyone in imo.

He used a secret portal to the Hall only accessible via the Mystery Spot.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

bewbies posted:

Is there any modern baseball nerd analysis discussing just how good Ozzie Smith was defensively? I remember him always being described as "best defensive player ever" etc by announcers when I was a kid but I have no idea if that analysis would survive modern analytics in much the same way Dorak Jeater did not.

Just quickly, career defensive WAR:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/WAR_def_career.shtml

Ozzie was really drat good at defense.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

elentar posted:

In related news, Andruw Jones should go into the Hall of Fame sooner rather than later.

In theory I'd be on board but I feel vindictive for the Jim Edmonds snub. No justice, no peace?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Joey Freshwater posted:

I don't know anything about Motte so I googled to see if he was actually gay or not and he's apparently married to a nice lady that helps him with cancer charities for kids.

Jason Motte is a very nice man who used to throw FASTBALLS but then had TJS so now he's just a nice guy with less facial hair for whom I want good things. In short, gently caress Kevin Pillar both for yelling homophobic slurs and for yelling them at a Cool Dude.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Walked by Ian Krol's mother in court today while she was talking about his season. Resisted the urge to snarkily mention the Pillar thing or ask if he felt like Pillar did nothing wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Who is the most handsome player on your team?

Dex or Grichuk.

Why the hell do the Cardinals always come in second in any bidding war?

• Locked thread