Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Hoo boy, shoes. Yes, people agree that it's better to buy quality than $20 Walmart garbage

... But there's hotly contesting opinions on where you actually achieve the minimum standard of Quality

Is it $60 Eccos?

Is it $150 DSW shoes?

Is it $350 Allen Edmonds?

Even more still believe that there isn't a shoe worth owning that isn't made by a tiny European cobbler and sold in small annual batches for $1,000+. "They last forever. Wouldn't you pay a grand for a permanent shoe and not $350 every 3 years?"

Internet nerd science has proven that $120 is the line. Any shoes less than $120 are disposable garbage, and more than $120 is bougie poo poo.

It's just like earning that 100,000th dollar means you deserve the guillotine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

One of my friends is a medical technician in a hospital and started making extremely good money with overtime + night shift differentials.

The first thing he did was go out and buy a ~$42,000 Ford F-250 to commute down the highway to the hospital.

It has a 48 gallon gas tank. If his tank is at least 2/3 empty, then he has to go to multiple gas stations to fill it up because of the $75 dollar limit on credit cards at gas pumps.

I'm shocked that the $75 limit at pumps is still a thing, is this at tiny mom + pop gas stations? I thought that was a relic from the past. Tons of vehicles cost more than $75 to fill now.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Some of them "compromise" by having a $125 or $150 limit if you use a Visa and $75 for all other payment networks.

This must be the behavior that I've been seeing. Thanks for the info!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Cicero posted:

Nah, cost of living in Japan is quite reasonable if you live like a Japanese person:

Sure, but living like a native involves living with almost no climate control in a tiny box and eating rice with thinly shaved fish on top of it 3 meals a day.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

A Costco king size mattress is enough for any honest man.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

DarkHorse posted:

I know people who do that; find a good renter and they just let them coast as long as they like without trouble, bar the occasional inspection. They’ve had multiple renters going for sub-market rates, but they’re paying for the properties and some income besides.

It sucks when they do move out though, because it often involves a total refresh of twenty year old everything.

Do property taxes not increase? In some areas property taxes have doubled in the last decade, the landlords just eat that cost?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Hoodwinker posted:

That metric is bullshit anyway because there's a strong chance you'll be increasing your salary between 30-35. So while double your 30 year old salary might be doable, double your 35 year old salary could be hilariously unlikely.

This isn't widely true, largest salary increases come in your 20s unless you're in a career that had very long training like an MD, PhD, or JD.

That metric is also harder for those guys because you're likely still paying off medical school debt through your 30s, even though you're earning $200-350k.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

Gonna need some facts to back this up. The conventional wisdom is that careers kick off in your 30's. Unless you're an engineer or like a refinery worker or something, there's typically a lot of upside after you get established (and even in those cases, there is still a lot of growth potential, just more front-loaded).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.c6457e33f139

quote:

For the average person, however, earnings growth stagnates after the first 10 years of a career. Average earnings growth for the 35-to-55 set is zero, the data shows.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I overheard a complete gem while one coworker was telling another about his rental business. The guy was bragging about getting his investment houses for 30% under market, and got asked why he doesn't just flip them instead of renting them out.

"You can't get market value when you sell a house."

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

very stable genius posted:

If your take home pay is $4000 every two weeks (around $160k/year) and you’re questioning a $22000 car purchase it seems like you’ve probably got some other problems. Yeah $370/month is crazy expensive for insurance but you can shop around and get that lowered. What else are you blowing your insane disposable income on?

He's probably in the bay area, in which case $160k is used Corolla money, not entry-lux VAG car money.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/999999787461160962

This might actually loop around to GWM because eventually the government is paying off his then $2 million in debt.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

which will be taxable income, most or all of it falling in the top bracket

He'll just work out a long-term low interest payment plan with the IRS!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

SiGmA_X posted:

E: I finished reading and see that his undergrad was parent paid, and he made no payments for years but bought flashy cars and had kids instead.

Also, wow, USC living expenses per year cost more than my 4yr degree...

But don't you see he financed a used Benz and drives a used Tesla so he doesn't deserve the guillotine.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Sounds cheaper to just stick a window unit upstairs.

If you've got multiple bedrooms upstairs, this is a losing battle. Window units are far less efficient too, vs a modern system with new ducts.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

StormDrain posted:

Haggle for a better price in cash vs the zero interest loan. They don’t offer 0% out of the goodness of their hearts, it’s rolled into the price of the car.

In theory anyway.

That subsidized rate frequently comes from the manufacturer, not the dealer. Dealer doesn't give a poo poo unless it's their money.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Phanatic posted:

There is absolutely 0% chance this is a viable strategy, and neither the IRS or the courts will have any sympathy for it in the slightest.

There's nothing unclear about it. A state-run charitable fund is still a charity, it's not an attempt at mass tax avoision.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/05/17/us/politics/in-some-states-donating-to-private-schools-can-earn-you-a-profit.html

Other states have been doing this for years. If you donate to private schools in Georgia, you get a 100% tax credit. How would this be any different? The IRS allows it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Because, and this is a big difference, that's not tax evasion. If Georgia wants to give you a 100% tax credit to donate to Georgia schools, that's fine. From the Federal government's perspective it's irrelevant, your Georgia state taxes were fully deductible from your Federal return, Georgia giving you a tax credit for donations doesn't reduce your Federal tax one iota; Georgia could just have raised your taxes by an equivalent amount and you'd have been able reduce your Federal liability thereby. Note also the two other aspects that make that actually a charitable donation: You don't get an in-return benefit, and your doing so is entirely voluntary.

If your Georgia state income taxes were more than $10k, then no they're not fully deductible from your federal return under the new law. This means that the Georgia scheme could also be used to reduce your federal tax load. Is the difference that it's voluntary?

Also, how is getting a 100% tax credit, plus being able to deduct the contribution from your federal income not an in-return benefit?

quote:

In South Carolina, if taxpayers make a $20,000 donation to a scholarship organization, they not only get a $20,000 state tax credit, but a federal tax deduction valued up to $7,000. The donor could pay $27,000 less in taxes based on a $20,000 donation.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Nocheez posted:

You could always try to learn to drive properly and stop hitting your car against other vehicles.

I give Bostonians a lot more slack because they're trying to fit 15' long cars in 15' 4" long openings.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Hoodwinker posted:

I'm not sure if you're sarcastic but if you live in a city this is extremely possible and also very sensible.

You know what I don't get? How does this work in 2-income households, where employers are >10 miles apart? And for that matter, do you move every time you get a new job so that you can walk to the new one? Maybe I'm just bad with money.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

With Tindr now it's feasible to just find new geo-convenient spouses anytime one of you gets a new job. Or it would be if millenials weren't too lazy and entitled to arrange their marital life around employers' convenience.

Corporations could also just provide you with a spouse, and after termination you could pay to keep the spouse for a couple months while you find a new job.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Motronic posted:

How does it "encourage" sprawl? People who can afford homes like this absolutely can afford to live in a city as well. It's a lifestyle choice.

Sprawl is encouraged by laws that won't let homes within cities be demolished and rebuilt as 6 $500k condos instead of 1 $1million house.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

why not a 400 unit 40-story soulless concrete apartment, each unit $70-150k, huh

I'm all for that too, it's just easier to build up to 4 floors on small lots. Cheaper, don't need as many specialized workers or tools, and easier to finance.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Panfilo posted:

I've heard there's a certain threshold for combined income vs daycare costs to really determine whether it is BWM to have a stay at home parent.

This is entirely true. I was at a dinner tonight with a bunch of two-professional households, and although people would never in a million years admit how much they make, there was some childcare cost dick-waving.

The "winner" spent more than $90k on childcare last year for 3 kids. I think that must actually be GWM though because unlike cars, houses, furniture, or even college educations you can't take debt for childcare. They just make more money than I thought.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

SiGmA_X posted:

What do you people mean when you say academics?

University faculty. If you get tenured, it's a job for life, but you have to be able to tolerate miserable departmental university politics, teaching, and truly love doing research for it to be worth it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

How do people end up with these ridiculously high cell phone bills? Mine's been $45/month for years. I wouldn't even know where to look for a more expensive plan or what I would get out of it.

Is $45/mo including a device payment? Unlimited plan + financing a $1000 phone adds up to more than $100/mo easily.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Saw this, did a hearty lol.

It's accurate, families need more than 1 bedroom.

Renting in SF is BWM, owning in SF is GWM because houses only go up in value.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Aldi makes a knockoff halo top that's the same stuff for under $3 a pint.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Sock The Great posted:

Slow down just a second. Where are you located? I am an Aldi aficionado and I've never seen this.

I'm in Nashville, TN. Looks like this: https://www.reddit.com/r/TrollXChromosomes/comments/8j0o3z/aldi_started_making_its_own_version_of_halo_top/

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

ZHamburglar posted:

If I were to have a large amount of money, what would be the best thing to invest in to grow it but keep it liquid as possible? It will be in the 6 to 7 figure range due to a company being sold that I had equity in. I have no intention of buying anything with it for the future since I'm a super cheap person.

I'd recommend a diversified portfolio of Chevy Camaros. If you get several of each generation, then you're guaranteed to see appreciation!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

thekeeshman posted:

https://www.economist.com/united-states/2018/07/05/why-detroit-is-the-most-expensive-city-in-america-to-buy-car-insurance

Here's a link to a recent economist article on it, shitshow from top to bottom. Bonus fun: "Good numbers are understandably difficult to come by, but it is now estimated that up to 60% of Detroiters drive without insurance."

What happens when the rest stop buying? It seems like the current cost trend is actively going up rapidly still, and at $10k/year I bet they approach zero compliance.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Lots of cities have managed to build enough units that their housing costs have stayed pretty flat despite rising population.

Houston absorbed more than a million people in 6 years, and housing costs didn't skyrocket. Up until Harvey destroyed a huge chunk of the housing stock, the new apartments were having to do 3+ months free on a year lease!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

the talent deficit posted:

houston has minimal zoning so developers can put pretty much whatever they want where ever they want and also relatively high property taxes which discourages speculators and investment property. you need *both* of these

These two things seem to work well, and wouldn't be impossible to put in other places. If California wanted to fix their housing, then you could fund a major income tax cut by doing a large prop tax hike accompanied by repeal of Prop 13, and getting rid of zoning entirely is just a legal problem.

You'd immediately see tons of people selling and un-stick the property market.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

CannonFodder posted:

He got screwed on the terms, has buyers remorse because a new model year is coming out (he maybe got a deal on the remaining dealer stock. Maybe) and he also wants to void any warranty with 3rd party exhaust work?

It's so beautiful...

You know, the terms hosed him over but a $14k new car is fine. Drive it for a couple years before you sell it and you're doing better than 80% of America in their $50k pickup trucks.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Screw the millennial budgets, show me the boomer budgets. I had a budget talk with my dad when I told him that my daycare expenses for a 1 year old cost about the same as my mortgage, he said that his health insurance costs were bigger than his housing + grocery costs combined.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Whether they make financial sense is...questionable.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2...-600-per-month/

That includes insurance, in Detroit where the average car insurance premium is ~$5500/year that's a drat value. $600/mo won't cover a Corolla lease + insurance. In other markets with anomalously high insurance costs, it's a good value.

It looks like my guess was low. Good car insurance alone is more than $600/mo in Detroit, so your TCO would be lower to subscribe to a new Volvo than to drive a 10 year old Prius:
https://quotewizard.com/auto-insurance/detroit-michigan

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 19, 2018

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Weatherman posted:

I was amazed that a 2004 civic had turned into a "beater". Do people not maintain their vehicles in Murrica or something?

My mother in law has a 2006 Civic that's had tons of repair and maintenance dollars spent on it, and it's still a huge piece of poo poo. No car lasts forever, and hers has 260k miles on it. Mid 2000s is old enough that the interior is falling apart on just about anything though. Headliner falling down, pretty much everything in the suspension replaced, whole cooling system, A/C work. Is it worth $1500/year in repairs for a $2k car? You tell me.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

gvibes posted:

Also not sure how you get from 195k -> 8k take-home.

Taxes, maxed out Roth 401(k) contributions (I doubt this guy is doing that), the mega-backdoor Roth that employers like Google let their employees do, HSA and dependent care FSA can easily get your relationship between gross and take home there.

Actually, if you have access to a 401(k) plan like Google's you can get your take home down to like $5k/mo from $200k gross.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Ashcans posted:

People who spent $30 to get access to the Star Citizen pre-alpha/whatever are a pretty minor BWM, given the expense. The real targets there are the people who pledged $250 - $10,000 in the kickstarter.

I got a copy of Star Citizen (and two other, actual games) bundled with a $220 GPU that I bought in 2014. That GPU is since long gone, and star citizen still hasn't released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

I still see deals where you can buy a car now and make no payments for six months.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Motors#0%E2%80%930%E2%80%930 Mitsubishi ate enormous losses when they gave away cars with 0 down payment and no payments during the first year.