Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Hello BWM fam,

Just a reminder to limit the self-posts please.

Hello, and welcome to the Bad With Money Thread 2.0!

(The previous thread can be found here)

This thread is BFC's home for poking fun at the wide world of Bad With Money (BWM): six figure earners who live paycheck to paycheck, poetry majors with $120K in student loan debt, Silicon Valley venture capital flops, and everything in between. Well...almost everything. Having solicited feedback from the previous thread, I heard from over two dozen posters about what they'd like this thread to be. It is not my intention to squelch this thread under the weight of a thousand complex rules, but I think providing some basic guidelines offers clarity on how I will moderate this thread.

Therefore, without further ado, here are the BWM thread guidelines:

Things that could get you probated
This list includes actions that could get you probated. I say could because, as always, funny/informative/interesting posts are always welcome in BFC. However, the following types of posts usually don't add enough value relative to the trouble they cause:
  • Talking about yourself
    BFC boasts a wealth of threads for talking about yourself. Have a basic personal finance question? The newbie thread is what you're looking for. More specific questions? Check out the long-term investing thread, the credit card thread, the house-buying thread, the...you get the picture. Want to brag on yourself for a financial achievement? Tell us all about it in the Goons Getting Ahead thread, or challenge yourself to track your financial goals over the course of the year. Just have something small or cool or interesting to share that doesn't fit into another category? Pop in to the general discussion thread. And if none of these threads work for you, I love love love seeing new threads in BFC! You might even get a sticky out of it if your OP is interesting ;)

With so many places to tell us about how good or bad you are with money, there's no need to clutter up this thread with it. We all want to hear about your incredibly opulent/exceedingly frugal wedding, I swear, but not in this thread please! This also goes for asking for advice. Stories about family, friends, and coworkers where you play a bit role are fine, but stories about you belong elsewhere. Of the ~25 people who responded to my call for feedback, ~20 suggested a rule like this. Let's see which one of the 20 breaks it first :twisted:

• Getting the last word
    Disagreements are a natural part of this thread. The boundaries of BWM/GWM make for some pretty interesting discussion! There are many ways a disagreement can end, but one of everyone's least favorite is when someone tries to unilaterally end the discussion while also claiming the last word. For example, "I'm done with this derail, but [three more reasons why my opponent sucks and is dumb]" is lame as hell. Don't be that person! If you're done with a line of discussion, just drop it. We're all adults here.

• Getting mean
    Similarly, there is ample room to disagree without personally insulting your sparring partner. When disagreements turn to insults, the thread turns into an unpleasant mess for everyone else. If you feel like spitting some venom at someone, take a couple deep breaths first.

• Complaining about derails without adding content
    Derails thrive in a vacuum. Sometimes the thread gets stuck in a derail that most of the posters don't care about. If you see a derail that you don't like, don't just yell at people to shut up. Try steering the conversation in a new direction by posting a new BWM example or responding to a different, more on-topic comment from upthread. If you post new content, you are totally justified in asking people to knock it off and pay attention to your shiny new post.

The one exception to this is our thread mascot and forum hero, the derail bird. Please always feel welcome to post the derail bird at people who are badly derailing the thread. See the end of this OP for your derail bird starter kit. As for those (hopefully rare) situations where people are posting the derail bird at you? That means it's time to drop it or move the conversation elsewhere.

Other guidelines
  • I received some interesting comments about derails. Generally, it seems like people agree that derails are often good or interesting, or at least drive the thread forward when things are slow. However, derails become a problem when they (a) become too long and/or (b) turn rancorous. If the former occurs, the conversation should definitely keep going! But at that point the BWM thread is not the best home for it. Take it to another established thread, or better yet, start your own new thread here in BFC!

• On a related note, I received a few comments on both sides of the "take it to D&D" issue. Some posters feel that deep discussions about the politics and social norms surrounding money are better left in D&D. Others disagree; as one poster wrote to me, there's value in "admit[ting] that money is political." I tend to share the view of this latter group. Even as satisfying and unifying a hate-read as "If You Have Savings In Your 20s, You're Doing Something Wrong" implicates larger societal and political issues. HOWEVA: as noted above, discussions of this type should move to a different thread (if they get too long) or take a break (if people have moved from discussing to yelling).

Another way of putting this one is that business, finance, and career related D&D stuff is absolutely welcome in BFC (famous last words :suicide:), but the proper home for it usually won't be this thread.

• If you're sharing some of that purestrain Reddit BWM, please try to both copy/paste the Reddit OP and include a link. This helps other posters engage more with your thread, as we can go pull followup comments from the Reddit link and don't have to worry about the OP deleting their post in a fit of shame.

• Please no internet detective stuff.

• Sometimes the BWM comes from elsewhere on SA. You can definitely share those posts here in the BWM thread. Don't go poo poo up other threads, though, and if it gets too helldumpy I'll put the kibosh on it.

• Remember that this thread is most enjoyable when it's punching up. It's frequently enjoyable when it's punching sideways or down too! It's depressing when it's punching the mentally ill and addicted. Let's leave this last category alone.

• Please feel free to report things! Before I became a mod, I thought reports were only for stuff that deserved a probation. Perhaps this is the case in other forums with heavier report loads, but BFC is a pretty easy forum to mod. It is totally OK to report a post for any number of reasons, e.g. "funny possible thread title", "potential for this derail to get out of hand", etc. Just make sure you include a note about why you're reporting it.

The Derail Bird Resource Center

http://i.imgur.com/g68X651.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/f8bq31k.gifv

Old thread titles:
My main man I've got three words for you: time-share horse https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819120&pagenumber=323&perpage=40#post481271507
cleaning my guns with essential oils https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819120&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=345#post481779049
100% of our AR-15s beat their 5-year Lipper average https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819120&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=351#post481989645
saw the word Horse today https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819120&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=367#post482543597
100k bridesmaids dresses = mass murder/suicide.
if IRA is so effective then why aren't everybody rich?
holy loving poo poo only paid in crypto :gonk:
In Des Moines chat, I
420 co-sign an auto loan erryday (page 420)
Should I keep trying to get a job or get a truck?
My parents have a Money Guy that I can work with, if that helps
there was some kind of disagreement in this loving supply chain
Asking for a friend, what could nipple lumps be?
Gourd With Money 2018: We'll make the loan payments using the money from the loan
#BatWithMoney: 40% Off: Animal Reiki Practitioner Certification
#BatWithMoney: Someday robots will be able to buy horses they can't afford.
#BatWithMoney: My only option I had was to pursue a YouTube career.
I pay $250 in BTC every 3 months to mod in BFC
Mal avec de l'argent 2018: Le petit mortgage

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

There exists a non-zero number of people who are pissed because they guessed wrong on AMD and now they don't have enough money to buy the Derek Smart spaceship they wanted. I'm sure of it.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

We had somebody quit today because they were moving in a couple of months with their husband.

Why did they quit now instead of in a couple months when they move?

Because they have been here for 9 years and 10 months. You become vested in the pension plan at 10 years (50% of your average salary for your 3 highest earning years of service until death, starting at age 62 unless you do at least 20 years) and if you quit before you become vested you get your pension contributions back with no interest.

She took a payout of about $8,000 instead of the pension and even had the HR Office and Pension Office repeatedly try to tell her not to quit just for this reason.

If she lives to be 80, then she got that 8k in exchange for 270k over 18 years.

Cloks posted:

What the gently caress.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

lostleaf posted:

I'm one of those people that took a year off. I did it lifting myself up by my bootstraps by just plain hard work and gumption. I attribute it all to how amazing I am and how much of a ayn randian superhero. ME ME ME.

Just kidding, my parents paid for it(and my education).

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Welcome to BWM 2.0, home of the new and exciting thread guidelines!

pig slut lisa posted:

Therefore, without further ado, here are the BWM thread guidelines:

This list includes actions that could get you probated. I say could because, as always, funny/informative/interesting posts are always welcome in BFC. However, the following types of posts usually don't add enough value relative to the trouble they cause:
  • Talking about yourself
    BFC boasts a wealth of threads for talking about yourself. Have a basic personal finance question? The newbie thread is what you're looking for. More specific questions? Check out the long-term investing thread, the credit card thread, the house-buying thread, the...you get the picture. Want to brag on yourself for a financial achievement? Tell us all about it in the Goons Getting Ahead thread, or challenge yourself to track your financial goals over the course of the year. Just have something small or cool or interesting to share that doesn't fit into another category? Pop in to the general discussion thread. And if none of these threads work for you, I love love love seeing new threads in BFC! You might even get a sticky out of it if your OP is interesting ;)

With so many places to tell us about how good or bad you are with money, there's no need to clutter up this thread with it. We all want to hear about your incredibly opulent/exceedingly frugal wedding, I swear, but not in this thread please! This also goes for asking for advice. Stories about family, friends, and coworkers where you play a bit role are fine, but stories about you belong elsewhere. Of the ~25 people who responded to my call for feedback, ~20 suggested a rule like this. Let's see which one of the 20 breaks it first :twisted:

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 3, 2017

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

ehhh nm

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

potatoducks posted:

Did everyone forget about this rule? It's only been 14 pages. Come on people.

It doesn't help when the mod goes to Canada for four days without a computer :redass:

(sorry y'all)

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

P.S. Everyone did an excellent job with the derail bird, apart from the one with the hosed up beak that wasn't NSFL-tagged/spoilered :argh:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Careful out there, gambling fans:

Jingleheimer posted:

Last year when I went to Vegas I got drunk and sat down at a pai gow table in the Bellagio. I was betting stupid and eventually got to the point where I was betting a hundred bucks a hand, and I lost a bunch of hands in a row. Even the dealer told me to stop being stupid and walk away, but I wasn't satisfied until I had lost a thousand dollars. I still love the game, but god drat do I hate myself for being such a dumbass that one night.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

From r/financialindependence, here's a good example of the challenges of maintaining discipline in a volatile stock market:

quote:

Happened to friends of ours. They weren't necessarily living the "FIRE" lifestyle (retired to a farm, built a nice custom house, had animals which required expensive upkeep, etc.) but they were fully retired and living their dream life in their mid-50s. Then they freaked out during the initial dot-com bust and sold all their stocks at just about the worst possible time. Lost about half of their savings, but still had enough to make retirement work if they scrimped a little.

Then came 2008, and they had put their money in the hands of a "trusted advisor" after the original fiasco... that guy was shady as gently caress, and had put them into all kinds of high-risk schemes (plus high management fees) which all fell to poo poo during the 2008-2009 crash. They AGAIN panicked and sold everything, and were down to about 10-15% of their original savings.

Sold the farm, gave away the animals, and now they're in their early 70s... living in a run-down rental built in 1910 without proper air conditioning in the deep south. He's working at Tractor Supply, and she's selling junk at the local flea markets on weekends to help pay the bills. Oh, and testicular cancer on top of all of that.

Their story is literally like 90% of what keeps me pushing for FI. It is my absolute nightmare to be in their position.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

We had an "Employee Appreciation Day" last week. It is for employees at a government agency, so all funds have to be raised from the employees themselves; no public money or office money for anything.

To "make up" for the fact that the employees have to pay for their own appreciation event, the Managers give out awards to hourly employees and give the winner in each section a free day of PTO.

One of our Managers gave an award to one employee for "staying until 7 pm almost every single day to make sure that we never fall behind."

There is currently a budget directive that bans anyone from authorizing overtime. The head of our agency pulled the manager aside and asked her why she had been approving overtime. She told him to not worry because she hadn't, she just never paid him for all the time he worked.

That is super illegal and they withdrew the award from that guy, gave him the day of PTO anyway, and paid him for 2 months of overtime.

They took the money from the general expense and office supply fund for that department and now the manager is telling everyone that they aren't getting new computers because "they had to pay out Jose."

BWM: Working for free.
Even more BWM: Giving an award for wage theft when the head of the Department of Labor and OMB is in attendance.

Leon how do you constantly come up with the best BWM stories

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I predict that at some point in the future one or more national economies will crash to a greater or lesser extent, and our understanding of the complex interwoven factors involved will be largely expressed in a swirling mixture of breathless post-hoc rationalization

I'm :toxx:ing for this

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

BW(Parents')Money:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/valedictorian-university-maryland-drops-out-school-two-managadze

I was going to bold a bunch of passages in the letter he wrote, but just read it.

It's long, but holy poo poo this kid has a terminal combination of dumb and smug.

(My favorite part is when he asks his parents to not be mad at him for dropping out after they paid all of his tuition because he needs a place to live while he looks for investors for his startup.)

Make sure to click his Youtube link to a video of him rapping about entrepreneurship.

Working with the admins to see if I can get the thread title field lengthened for this

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

canyoneer posted:

Make it the mouseover text for the BFC subforum

Haha that's a good idea. I'll see if I can.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

ohgodwhat posted:

I know a theoretical physicist who clears over half a million a year in royalties from his textbooks. Clearly everyone should publish physics 101 textbooks. Very GWM.

That theoretical physicist's name? Albert Einstein.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

BraveUlysses posted:

I'll never understand how so many people get the insane idea of starting their own restaurant but have absolutely no clue how to do it. Like it's a really big badge of honor to tell other people you have a restaurant :smug:?

They're understandably attracted to the high profit margins and great work/life balance :v:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

In a shocking twist, an MLM is run by assholes: LuLaRoe losing consultants

Quite a lede :stare:

quote:

“No, you’re stale. Your customers are stale. Get out and find new customers. If you bring a new customer in, then your inventory isn’t stale. The problem is, you try to sell to the same group of people day after day after day.” In a now-deleted video of LuLaRoe’s weekly webinar broadcast to some 80,000 consultants, CEO Mark Stidham did not mince words. Stidham blamed lagging sales and an uptick in consultant resignations on their own missteps, taking the focus off of both the product itself and the varied consumer complaints.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mikCQoDG2Ls

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

brugroffil posted:

Hope he gets the mental health help he needs

Yeah, the more I've thought about this the more I've moved from thinking he's BWM to thinking he needs some sort of intervention and support.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

ranbo das posted:

Not inherently BWM buuuuut

Oh my god this guy is a tire fire:

quote:

I looked online and there is a lot of negative opinion on burberry watches. I just bought one for $280 off ebay and I like it a lot. I understand its a fashion watch, but what's so bad about that? It doesn't seem like its going to break down on me but is the quality of the materials really that bad? I like the style a lot. Thanks

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Hey, make fun all you want, but at least he's solved this problem:

Another BFC success story! :toot:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

KingSlime posted:

I thought you were being facetious because it is an empty and meaningless statement being used by John Smith to pat himself on the back for clearly possessing the skills of a great leader/being familiar with the core attributes of a good leader. His posting gimmick is literally "look at how much of a badass I am," we're all quite familiar with his physical abilities in this thread :lol:

John Smith posted:

Er... no? I am so smart that I know I shouldn't run a business. I am not a great leader because I am not good with people. I am good with numbers and finance.

But yes, I worked hard to achieve my current level of success and am extremely proud of myself. What of it?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Ashcans posted:

Yea, it doesn't sound like they are going to be leaving their kids much less in the way of assets, so making sure that they have life insurance for them sounds like the only decent choice they made. Of course they shot themselves in the foot with whole insurance, but its still better than buying another disney vacation.

Even the worst methods of saving are better than not saving at all

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Friendly reminder :)

pig slut lisa posted:

• Talking about yourself

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Krispy Kareem posted:

This probably doesn't count as a humblebrag because holy poo poo I got a large raise at my last job and it killed us in taxes. As in, I already had zero deductions and I ended up with a 6 digit tax bill because we moved up brackets. Marginal tax rates, sure. But if you get caught off guard and don't withhold enough the IRS eats your loving rear end in extra fees.

So that does happen. If an older person is talking about that then they probably lived through the inflationary 80's and watched any pay raised get slaughtered by the combination of higher prices and more taxes. It just takes one year like I had to make you forever paranoid.

Just as a reminder to everyone, the rule is against "talking about yourself", not just humblebrags (although this is definitely a humblebrag lol) :eng101:

p.s. genuine congrats on the raise and truley sorry for your lots, that sounds like a pain

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

OP seems cool

e: oh my god he's 16 :cripes:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CanadianInvestor/comments/69t3sw/as_a_16_year_old_my_dad_wants_to_open_up_an/

e2: aaaaaaa

bonus for the top reply being "40 is a very diverse portfolio" with no idea what those 40 even are

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 17, 2017

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Less of this:

potatoducks posted:

Slipping this in while Tiny Brontosaurus is still on probation. Nice move.

DJCobol posted:

That's why it's been so nice in here lately!

More of this:

Residency Evil posted:

I feel as if my life could be so much more.

e: I would love to see some sort of breakdown on how many racehorse owners are net positive vs net negative over the course of their hobby. I'm sure the negatives outweigh the positives, but by how much?

vvvvvv lol

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 20, 2017

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

John Smith posted:

Just to clarify, I 100% believe in victim blaming for rape and sky diving as well. Not joking.

Not for choice of clothing though. More for practical choices like placing yourself within an extreme risk environment and engaging in no protective measures. Rapists gonna rape, victims don't necessarily have to victim. I don't engage in risky behaviour, why are you entitled to engage in risky behaviour?

Friendly reminder to everyone to not post gigantic obvious derail bombs in the BWM thread :angel:

(John I was gonna send you a PM but you don't have plat :/ Email me at byob.psl@gmail.com if you like, but don't feel obligated)

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Update on one of my favorite BWM stories of all time:

https://twitter.com/bobby/status/879461686264168448

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Please post about people being bad with money in the Bad With Money thread

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

canyoneer posted:

From a gbs thread about weird customers

I literally can't imagine being rich enough where donating $250/day to the city's parking enforcement or spending $25 on orange juice wouldn't bother me.

Good x-post. This is one of those per se bad with money things, imo. I don't care if you're a billionaire.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

FYI to clarify my probation decision up thread:

When I ask people to stop a derail, I like to give a five minute grace period to account for anyone who hasn't had reasonable time to see my request. That's why ranbo das is in timeout and Tiny Brontosaurus isn't. I didn't see anything worth a probation in the derail itself. If anyone has questions please PM. Thanks and hug your local derail bird today.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Hoodwinker posted:

Zybourne Financial Services

I wish I hadn't just changed the thread title cause I love this too

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

pig slut lisa posted:

Please post about people being bad with money in the Bad With Money thread

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I'd like to invite you all to take a step back in time with me and participate in Ye Olde Bad With Money Tournamente

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Someone at work got in trouble for using the "ALL" email address to send this out to several hundred people.

I have never met this guy before.

Here's another good email I had saved from the office "Stock Guru" who was trying to help with my investments.

Note the date of the email.

This dude put 116k - his ENTIRE Roth IRA Balance - into RiteAid stock in advance of their merger with Walgreens.

Walgreens announced today that they are not going through with the Merger and RiteAid stock is down about 30%.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Couple buys a car, then has a "personal and financial crisis" that they solve by abandoning the car at the airport and leaving the country. They called the dealership on their way and told them where to pick it up, assuming that would solve everything and they wouldn't owe any more money.

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/6k8m4b/i_think_we_broke_the_auto_repossession_system/

Man when this thread is good it's reeeeeaaaaalllllyyyyy good

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Ye Olde Bad With Money Tournamente will be accepting submissions through the end of the work week. If you haven't nominated a historical BWM story yet, now's the time!

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Also this is an extremely good post

Breetai posted:

John Smith watches the toddler approach the hot stove and smirks: the child is about to learn a valuable lesson. Two lessons, in fact, if it does not have the wherewithal and foresight to later apply an ointment to the burn to avoid infection setting in. He dispassionately watches the object lesson in self-actualisation unfold.

"WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THESE NOISES?" he asks the shrieking child.

Then he notices the tears.

"ALL THIS SERVES TO DO IS DEHYDRATE YOURSELF! WHY DO YOU NOT ACT IN AN OPTIMAL FASHION?"

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

monster on a stick posted:

Carry around the amount of student loans you think a rich person would carry

This is extremely good advice because that number is probably very low!

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

canyoneer posted:

The following states are non-recourse states for most residential mortgages:
Nevada (for most residential mortgages initiated from October 2009 onward)

Interesting! Presumably this is intended to encourage banks to be more cautious in their mortgage lending, post-Las Vegas housing meltdown?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Poldarn posted:

A Facebook acquaintance of mine announced he is retiring at the age of 38 after following the book Your Money or Your Life , and is telling everything to get the book, you can totally retire early too!. Now I assume this isn't some magic bullet to easy retirement They Don't Want You To Know, but does anyone know anything else about this book so I don't have to buy it to read it?

Good question for the Long-Term Investing and Retirement Savings thread and/or the Financial Independence thread.