Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They used to have Home Economics that included things like balancing a checkbook and whatnot.

My mum responsibly taught me to balance a checkbook, but I've never actually used this skill because, uh, it's pretty useless since I can check my account balance on my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah I don't think it's so bad from a money perspective, it's some of the other implications I'm not a fan of. One big lot isn't enough for my family, let's take two.

I don't think it sounds crazy at all. It's cheap, and it might be a good investment after his kids grow up - they could build a house there and rent it out. As long as he doesn't keep bidding up and pay more than he is expecting.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Noctone posted:

gently caress that sanctimonious rear end in a top hat and I hope he loses more money somehow

I'm sure he was acting like a prince, blind drunk and thrown out of a strip club.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Dick Nipples posted:

Time for some family BWM.

Growing up, I had a cousin (F) that was a little older than me. She was a little odd but I figured it was "older kids are weird" poo poo. When I got much older, I found up she was developmentally challenged - not retarded in the medical sense, but slowed development.

Anyway - her dad (my uncle) was an alcoholic but also a really drat good Communications Engineer that worked on the Superconducting Super Collider project. Despite spending money on every possible gun and tool conceivable (because Redneck) he still managed to sock away around low 6 figures in a trust for his daughter. So my uncle dies when I was 7 and the money goes into a trust that my dad (his brother) is the executor for. All is well for the first several years. My cousin turns 18 when I'm about 13 and begins poking around for some money for little things. At first it's really straightforward stuff - down payment for a reasonable car, money for a new pair of glasses.

Now earlier, I mentioned she's not a bright one - she's not going to college but in some vocational program. She starts hanging out with some people who are pretty much scum. They get wind of the fact that she's got a trust fund. At this point, she doesn't even know how much money is in the trust fund though she's got an idea it's pretty sizable. Fast forward another year or so to her being age 20 and she begins asking for ridiculous poo poo. She wants to buy a pair of glasses for every day of the week. She wants to buy watches for every day of the week. She wants to loan some rear end in a top hat $10k because he's got a great investment idea.

My dad tries his best for another year to hold her off, compromise, and otherwise accommodate her without letting her go balls to the wall. Finally, one of the scumbags she's hanging out with convinces her that she should threaten to sue my dad if he doesn't let her get whatever she wants. Anyway - she eventually works up the bullshit nerve to threaten my dad and there's bunch of back and forth for a couple months. He loses his poo poo and finally just says "gently caress it, I wash my hands of this." He signs the documentation to sign over full custody of the trust to her and we don't hear from her again.

That was probably 13 years ago now - we hear little bits now and then that she may have gone to jail. We do know that the account was drained in about 7 months. I think when my dad handed over the account, it was sitting at about $93k. The heartbreaking part is that my grandmother who was very fond of her was part of the fallout - when my cousin cut out the family, she didn't just cut out my dad. She cut out our grandmother and my aunt.

I didn't really get the full story on this until I was 25 - after my grandmother had already died. We basically never talked about her again while my grandmother was alive.

TL;DR: Developmentally challenged cousin wants to spend her 6 figure trust fund on ridiculous poo poo. My dad tries to help and gets fed up. Cousin gets the money, burns through it in 8 months, and is probably in jail now.

Ah, that's a terrible story. But your cousin is genuinely developmentally disabled, so a lack of forward planning is to be expected. The BWM is her dad setting the trust up so she got an enormous lump sum rather than a monthly allowance.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Dick Nipples posted:

Ya - that's pretty much how I feel about it. I wish that it'd been better structured. The part I'm puzzled about is why the estate didn't go into my aunt's control from the start... it seems like that'd have been a better long term plan given that she raised my cousin.

I dunno - this isn't about me though. Enough of my own thoughts on the matter.

Perhaps her dad thought that her mother would have been too close to it and have difficulty saying "no." But that didn't work out very well, since your dad didn't really want the headache.

I think that you can get professional firms that deal with this sort of thing, as paid trustees for the disabled.

(quick google produces:)
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/06/your-money/06wealth.html

Your cousin sounds like an unusual case - too disabled to plan wisely for her money, but not disabled enough that she realizes this (or for others to realize it). Of course, many completely mentally average people have blown a trust fund under the influence of bad friends.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

LLCoolJD posted:

In all fairness it's not clear whether the mother is taking advantage of her child or merely offsetting the cost of supporting a shiftless, MMO-addicted manchild.

If she was a sensible person she could say "Right, with this inheritance you don't need my spare room, so I'm renting it out. You want to stay here, it's $800 every 5th of the month, but you need to fill out an application form like everyone else."

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Jesus I had no idea NZ was drowning under that much real estate debt. Did they not have a correction 8 years ago along with the rest of the world?

The are unfortunate enough to be calculated the nation most likely to prosper in the event of climate change and US/European unrest, so foreign rich people have been buying a lot of bolt-holes there.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you're in construction management a truck is pretty well a need. It shouldn't be nice though, Jesus Christ.

Real builders seem to take pride in how horribly scuffed and bashed their ancient white pickup truck is. If it doesn't have "clean me" written in dirt on the back, you are probably a poseur.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Buying fake followers is ridiculously cheap and would probably make his dumb rear end really happy as a birthday gift.

That's as tragic as hiring a hooker to pretend to like him.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Hoodwinker posted:

Forget bad with money, this dude is apparently great with money for managing to mostly keep it from this significant other for so long:

My boyfriend [M30] has been lying to me [F30] about his income for YEARS.

This dude is extremely GWM for not marrying this person.

I don't subscribe to r/frugal or anything, but this woman is laying some serious expectations onto her significant other. "He didn't want to go 50/50 on these things that clearly only I want!" Jesus.

It's OK to be extremely frugal if you are open about it with your SO and can work out how it's going to work for you both. But this guy was sponging off his girlfriend for groceries while making plenty to cover his fair share. They don't sound at all compatible.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

monster on a stick posted:

I'm guessing he's one of those Mr Money Mustache types who is saving a ton of money so he can retire at 35 or something.

Self-employed people can have big ups and downs. He might make $200k one year, $50k the next. He might be nervous about upgrading his lifestyle to $200k and then next year not being able to pay the mortgage.

If they had actually talked honestly about finances he could have shared that with her and they might have come to some compromise where they upgraded their lifestyle slightly, or come to the understanding that he was practicing a frugal lifestyle in preparation for early retirement (and they could have split up, because that's clearly something she doesn't want.)

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
Old men generally have all the material crap they need, and patriarchal hangups mean that adult kids giving money to their elders is more likely to insult than please. So give nothing. Phone your dad. Buy him a meal or a drink if you live nearby (go to Olive Garden if you must.)

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Suspicious Lump posted:

A friend from work was leaving and moving to a different cities. As customary, all of her friends organised a card and a gift. We knew she needed the money, we know she didn't need more crap to have to relocate THREE THOUSAND KILOMETRES as the crow flies. But the bosses weren't happy when we shared our idea of giving her cash and a card, they were fairy insistent that it wouldn't be proper to give her cash but a gift. gently caress. What to do.

We ended up giving her a $30 wallet that looked a bit expensive and an empty prepaid visa card with cash hidden in the wallet.

She used the money to buy a new car.

Crikey. The office whip-round for people leaving at my workplaces would result in enough for a nice dinner, not a new car. Where do you work, Goldman Sachs?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Hoodwinker posted:

What the gently caress.

There's even an official American Girl restaurant

http://gawker.com/the-best-restaurant-in-new-york-is-the-american-girl-ca-1546979492

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Her daughter is putting on a tumbling show for all the guests and the moms are having a "wine contest" where everyone brings the best bottle of wine they can and then picks a winner.

This is a sitcom set-up, right? If not it should be.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

spog posted:

American Girls 18" doll + outfit:

Toys R Us 18" doll + outfit:

I still feel sad about that knock-off My Little Pony I got in the '80s. And the Go-Bot.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Krispy Kareem posted:

I have an attic full of American Girl dolls and accessories because gently caress all we're not buying this poo poo again for our eventual granddaughters/sensitive grandsons.

Thousands of dollars worth of this poo poo. To the extend I started describing monetary units as American Girl dolls.

"We need new tires and it's going to cost 8 American Girl dolls."

Why not sell it on eBay? Dolls don't survive 20 years in the attic very well, and they go out of style. My mum largely failed to interest my kid in her & my old toys that she's kept in the attic.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

therobit posted:

This is the creepiest mental image.

I am wondering if there is a similarly sized male doll to complete the diorama. Maybe Chucky.

They make American girl boy dolls.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is the UK really lovely for developers? I feel like with 7 months under your belt, you ought to be able to find a place that would take a chance on you if you just said "Well, I had an internship but it ended up having to be restarted, so now I'm looking for something permanent."

Or does everyone just do internships until you hit a year or something?

He's 19, so he isn't doing an internship - he's doing an apprenticeship, which is an alternative to a degree, "learning on the job." That's why he's being paid less than UK minimum wage. He's not going to be able to do much entrepreneurship with a few months of on-the-job experience. If he can code at all, he should just do a degree - coders with degrees are in demand right now, and it's not like carpentry or something where you learn better by doing than sitting in a lab.

Apprenticeships are mostly a way for the UK government to make unemployment stats look better. It's better than sitting in your room moping, though, which looks like his plan B (it's a rare guy with social anxiety that can sell a few months of code experience enough to become a contractor.)

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
John Oliver has the problem of being a smarmy Brit come to tell the Colonials what they are doing wrong. (love his show)

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Splish posted:

yeah I'm not going to jump into a conversation I wasn't a part of to correct someone thirty years older than me about something a simple google search could reveal. In an ideal world people would be open to education about better finances, in the real world people get defensive and think you're just trying to make them look stupid.

You can say it in a nice way, like "I thought that too, but then I looked it up and it turns out you only pay the higher rate on your earnings over the limit." But if you were eavesdropping strangers, that wouldn't make sense.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Haifisch posted:

Um, actually, there are times it's appropriate to go "actually...". :smug:

But really, people don't like feeling condescended to even if you're right. Learning to pick your battles is GWL.

"You shouldn't waste your money on Starbucks every morning" is condescending.

Informing people about marginal tax rates if they genuinely don't understand how tax brackets work, is not condescending.

Arguing with them about the government if they don't believe you is condescending.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Hoodwinker posted:

When you try to talk to somebody about something they don't understand and don't really have any interest in understanding, they hear noises like the voices of adults in a Charlie Brown cartoon.

I didn't understand this until I was in my mid twenties and was interested to find it out, rather than angry.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Ixian posted:

I've known more than a few people like this. Including, unfortunately, family. Problems in life "happen" to them, not because of lovely decisions they make.

I don't see where bankruptcy helps much at all, other than spread some of the cost among the general population. People who get themselves in binds like this really annoy the poo poo out of me.

People who get sick and can't pay for it annoy the poo poo out of you?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

ohgodwhat posted:

Just a reminder, the flawed but better than nothing Obamacare is the ACA or PPACA.

AHCA is the Republican replacement/dumpster fire.

It doesn't do anyone any good to conflate those two.

ACA, AHCA. How terribly confusing of the Republicans to give their plan almost entirely the same name. No doubt it was a complete accident - they wouldn't want ill-informed people to confuse their terrific plan with Obamacare, would they? Perish the thought!

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
Future idiots: "I was struggling when Obamacare took away my healthcare, but then Trump got elected and I got an plan on the state exchange website! But then the Democrats kept voting against healthcare so my prices went up! So I'm voting Republican until I die!"

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Lucrece posted:

My parents did well investing in the stock market in the past, but over the past couple of years, my dad's memory has been deteriorating. On top of buying shares under his self-managed Superannuation fund after he retired (a BIG no-no!), last financial year he didn't realise that he had to spend a certain amount of money out of the account that his dividends were being paid into, resulting in what will most likely be a $41,000 fine.

You need to talk to him about taking control of his finances. He's at grave risk of losing the money he needs for his care as dementia develops.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

ate all the Oreos posted:

I just remembered a forum thread or a book or something about a lady who played a princess for birthday parties or something a while ago? Does anyone know what I'm talking about, I remember it being really interesting...

It's not just princesses either. I went to a kid's birthday party with a costumed character (a Transformer) a while back. Turn that cosplay into cash!

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've got some bad news about human nature then. Making seashell jewelry would have been seen as a tremendous luxury to a hunter/gatherer society. Having extra time to twiddle away at something to make themselves pretty vs feeding themselves could be incomprehensible to someone in that situation.

From what I've heard, hunter-gatherers actually have quite a bit of downtime. There's no point killing two deer when your family can only eat one at a time, so if everything is OK, they definitely did have time for sitting around, chatting, and making seashell jewellry.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Krispy Kareem posted:

Which is probably why there's a school of thought that says humans peaked at that stage.

Hunter-gatherers were swol. Modern man, not so much.

Swol? Like you mean muscle-bound? Pictures of modern hunter gatherers make them look lean and sinewy, not slabs of beef like bodybuilders.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'm not talking about culture. Just physical conditioning. Recent stuff seems to indicate old hunter gathering man was surprisingly healthy.

That's because they died the moment they started to lose their health, rather than dragging their withered frames into a full century like we do now. They died about the same time we start thinking about retirement. Most people are still pretty healthy at that point even these days.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

That's not true, stop repeating this fake fact. "Average life expectancy" for pre-modern people is dragged down by high infant mortality. People who made it past toddlerhood lived about as long as we do.

No they didn't. They lived to about 60. We live until our 80s or 90s.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
I have a couple of elderly relatives who are slightly frail and still enjoy as many cruises as they can afford. It's not a nursing home, but it's a great way to spend your twilight years, especially if you are healthy longer than your friends and your social circle is narrowing to "zero" due to the Grim Reaper. Everything is taken care of, so you can spend your limited energies walking slowly around quaint little port towns rather than dealing with airports and rental cars etc.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
Private train cars are surprisingly cheap. Business idea: Party train!

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

silvergoose posted:

Probably not, but pregnancy does really weird poo poo to women's bodies so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Pregnancy can cause diabetes. I know a person who mistook diabetes for gluten sensitivity. Probably because we hear so much about gluten sensitivity these days, so anyone who feels ill after eating assumes it was the gluten.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Barry posted:

Figure at least 30 minutes of eating/showering, you're getting a max of 5.5 hours of sleep a night. Could you imagine trying to do a 4.5 hour drive after 5.5 hours of sleep 5 days a week, and then again in the evening? It's a miracle they're still alive.

If they are travelling together perhaps one naps while the other drives, and they switch on the journey back.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
I dutifully balanced my checkbook once, as my mother had taught me, the first month after I left home. Then I realized it was perfectly pointless because of itemized bank statements. This was over 20 years ago. It hasn't become more important since then.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

monster on a stick posted:

I'm sure they would be able to live in a house independently without support, all they need to do is man up.

There's two types of homeless. The ranting shambling homeless guy that we think of when we think "homeless" and the "invisible homeless" who are just extremely poor and living in a friend's shed or in their car or squatting somewhere. The latter could definitely have many of their problems solved via "free house."

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Crime rates correlate neatly with the number of bored young men hanging around in a community, so if we're handing out crimestopper awards I'd like to nominate video games and free porn.

Don't forget Mr Air Conditioner! Crime rates always go through the roof in hot weather due to tempers flaring. Our good chilly friend means that you can get inside and cool off, instead of hanging round on street corners with your friends because indoors is an oven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

paragon1 posted:

:cripes:

BWM: Someone took a promotion at my job that will only raise their hourly pay by thirty cents. It comes with a cost that will be at least $1000 a year.

Is it a stepping stone to something better, like an impressive title/role that will allow them to move to a better job at another company?