Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
For the last page or so, I seriously thought I was back in D&D again. I hit the back button and thought my browser hiccuped when it was BFC.

Biggest advantage of living in the bay area: I cannot possibly be house-poor because I cannot possibly buy a house. :v:

quote:

All of this is covered in my seminar, "Money is Evil and You Should Give Me All of It For Safekeeping."

You seriously could sell that out here as long as you aren't too obvious. I just saw an ad in the local paper for Pet Seances. Speak to the spirit of your departed pets for the low low price of... (call me to negotiate).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

I invested my entire fortune into these and then stacked them in the ocean to shelter my assets.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's real.

It's from the "Real Estate, Bitcoin Wealth Expo"

I still can't get over how it featured presentations from many celebrities totally known for their investing prowess, such as Alex Rodriguez, Sylvester Stallone, and Pitbull. Those photos absolutely made my day.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Motronic posted:

Lol, top comment is gold:

No, pretty sure it's still just silver. :downsrim:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Zaurgbot posted:

I can be all the botmaster paying off the crypto and she doesn't seem like the loans are going to make a gently caress, like the spending a few months ago (December, IRA, a big someone with my bank account). We can take the past strategy and put the price of them or whatever at about 2 months of what I said that would've made probably. I put a child divorce account that is going to add more for the course.

I don't have to get it to get the home shitcoins and the loans (which is a lot of savings and make them all of them with the budget) or and pay off the beater and not make more than my crypto, maybe her car because it was the wife was all the student loans. Spend anyway. That said, she still has a lot of interest but you spend under mortgage and they put it on the student loans.

I could keep refreshing this thing all week. Just make a few minor grammatical fixes and it generates perfect posts.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I have never understood goal statements by the time you are applying for a job isn't your goal Get This Job

100% agreed. Goal statements are the first thing I remove from any resume someone asks me to edit. They're utterly useless to the candidate at best, harmful at worst. Unless you were specifically told by the employer to include a goal statement (and run far away if you were, if it's not some weirdo academic-industry collab thing), replace it instead with a short and snappy summary of qualifications. Top of the resume, who are you? You are a Widget Analyst with 8 years of experience in Widget Marketing, specializing in Key Phrase #1 From Job Description, #2 Phrase, #3 Phrase. (Whatever you can actually support / prove, of course. Exaggerate, but don't lie. :haw:)

It's a waaaay better use of top two inches than telling me you hope to get a job. OF COURSE YOU DO, YOU APPLIED, RIGHT?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

get a waterbed and you never find a place that will rent to you again :)

Fixed.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Look at this non-homeowner :smug:

Yep, guilty as charged. Recent_arrival_to_Bay_Area.txt where renting is BWM but it's less BWM than buying. :v:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

Gonna need some facts to back this up. The conventional wisdom is that careers kick off in your 30's. Unless you're an engineer or like a refinery worker or something, there's typically a lot of upside after you get established (and even in those cases, there is still a lot of growth potential, just more front-loaded).

Even engineers get substantial raises mid-career if they're okay with playing the job-hop game. I feel like that's the big factor for skilled labor in the modern US economy--the willingness to move wherever the money is better. N=1 and all, but that plus a pile loving pile of luck certainly worked for me. (The part I'm not certain about is whether the luck or the job-hopping was the bigger factor. :v:)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

It's an entire food truck that does nothing but expensive toast. I'm sure you pay a premium to have your avocado toast delivered.

I got ricotta and tomato toast.

San Mateo, California.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

SiGmA_X posted:

Or it was $5-800 in beer while sitting in the garage looking at the boat.

Just think... all he had to do was sit in a garage with $5-800 in beer while looking out at someone else's boat and it'd have been at the very least acceptable with money.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

BigDave posted:

Do they still do the dowry thing? Never really understood how it worked.

It's technically been illegal since the 1960s, but enforcement is basically non-existent.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Panfilo posted:

In California it is, at least six weeks of it. It is based on how much you earned the previous year.

Yeah, that's the California part. CA state law is providing that six weeks of paid part. All federal FMLA provides is 12 weeks unpaid with, assuming you followed the paperwork and notification process correctly, the promise of an equivalent job when you get back. You are not guaranteed your same role / department / anything for that, just that they have to place you in an equivalent level of role for which you are qualified. (Edit: It also guarantees you have to be provided your employee benefits at current cost, rather than COBRA rate or being cut off. That's an important caveat I forgot!)

You also must have worked 1,250 hours (1080 in CA) over the last twelve months of employment at the company (you are not eligible if you have not been there for at least twelve months), have NLT 50 employees at the employer, and not be a religious- or non-profit-exempted employer. (Most aren't exempted, for that last pair.) FMLA also (federally, at least) only covers one parent if both of you work at the same employer. If your wife at same employer goes out on maternity FMLA, you cannot go out on paternity leave until she is back to work again. Last caveat: While the FMLA paternity leave applies regardless of whether the mother is your legal spouse or not, you would not be eligible to take FMLA "caring for a sick family member" leave to take care of the mother if she got sick / had complications after your twelve week paternity leave was up. Non-married partners aren't considered "immediate" or "extended" family for the purposes of FMLA. It's really a pretty sad, lovely law.

Basically, to get a rough guess for anything in the rest of the country, take anything you know about CA's benefits for parents, cut it in half, and then remove all the $$$ from it. It'll be close enough. :(

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
In context of what it was used for, even the loving name tells you straight up that it's a scam. =X

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

That includes insurance, in Detroit where the average car insurance premium is ~$5500/year that's a drat value. $600/mo won't cover a Corolla lease + insurance. In other markets with anomalously high insurance costs, it's a good value.

It looks like my guess was low. Good car insurance alone is more than $600/mo in Detroit, so your TCO would be lower to subscribe to a new Volvo than to drive a 10 year old Prius:
https://quotewizard.com/auto-insurance/detroit-michigan

Wow. Detroit costs almost as much each month as the average San Francisco car insurance for the entire year.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yikes, imagine having a partner who worried about your $40/week habit, regardless of what it is.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

That decimal is obviously in the wrong place guys. I’m sure it’s just .45% fees.

Agreed. 45.0% fees.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

This person's situation can still turn out OK if they get a public teaching job, go on IBR for 10 years, and cop that sweet, sweet untaxable loan forgiveness.

What ever happened to that poo poo going on where the DOE was reneging on IBR forgiveness by claiming they weren't responsible for their outsourced contractor claiming jobs were covered by it that weren't? I'm not finding any recent articles on it. Pretty sure it never involved public school teachers, but it would still make me wary of placing my all my eggs in the IBR basket.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Thanks to the passing of years, I'm down to inheriting only four sibling-children instead of five! Keep on living, in-laws. Two more years and it'll be just three, and if I make it 13 more years without inheriting any, I'll finally feel free and clear enough to have my own kids be too old to have children anyway! :D

Seriously, who the gently caress thought it was okay for a couple in their mid-sixties to adopt infants? God drat.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What the gently caress? Details?

My in-laws had five biological children, and as soon as they were grown up, the whole empty nest thing kicked in. So, they started fostering. They did a great job with that (their hearts are in the right place if not their heads) but fell in love with all the kids and one by one adopted them. Four of the five adoptees are in some way or another special-needs children. The oldest of them (actual aspergers, not internet aspergers) is on his way to trade school now, but the next four are all still young. The youngest was adopted four years ago now when she was one year old and her parents-to-be were 65 and 61.

The biological children and their spouses were all against it largely because of their parents' age. The parents did it anyway and told the kids they'd just have to "be responsible adults and take care of their siblings if anything happened." Standard boomer poo poo in that regard (be responsible for our bad decisions).

Meanwhile, of the five biological children, there are only two who are stable financially. It used to be only one at the time of the youngest adoption--my wife. She was financially stable because she married me. She and all four of the others were either art or theater majors. Now, there is a second who is stable because her theater work paid off and she's on Broadway now. Of the five biological siblings, my wife is the only one with less than $50K of student loan debt. (She had $100K but our writing royalties paid it off. FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS, their parents told all of them.)

So, when I look at the situation, I see three struggling millennials with high debt, one with high debt and a good job (but one which is ill-suited for taking care of children), and my wife/me. We're the only stable set out of the family. There will still be two minors when the father hits 80. The youngest will be 15, I believe. If college is in the picture for the kids, there will likely be one still in college. The parents have, between mortgage and parent PLUS loans, over $400K of debt. That's just the stuff I know about (disclosures I made them tell me about before I married their daughter), but since then they also bought a super fancy camper, always seem to have new cars whenever I visit, etc etc. I highly doubt they're sitting on some amazing life insurance payout or inheritance, and even if they do, ten kids.

So yeah... if they don't live a really good long time, my inheritance is likely taking care of children who are technically my brothers and sisters in law, because the others will still be buried under monumental piles of debt.

quote:

. Jesus Christ, why not just foster?

They did. They just kept adopting the fosters. :suicide:

Sundae fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 17, 2018

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Holy cow that is something. For the part when you said you made them disclose that they had $400k in debt before you agreed to marriage, what would have been the unacceptable cutoff level?

It was more about the kind of debt to me. Parent plus dies with the parent, mortgages aren't a problem, etc. I more wanted to know that the debts weren't able to pass to kids (medical, etc) and that they weren't indicative of lifestyles they'd have passed along. No credit cards on behalf of children, etc.

There was nothing among the debts that I can get stuck with and my wife has very good spending habits now, so no deal breaker there. The kid issues weren't on my radar back then.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Jack2142 posted:

The 65 year olds adopting babies is my parents next door neighbor who is older than my parents although it is a weird mess of adopted grandkids (great grandchildren maybe?) along with not related individuals. Her parenting style is mostly just scream at them and threaten to throw them out.

From my knowledge of their outcomes.

Non Blood Adopted: (To my knowledge)
1. 28-29 year old who is homeless in Portland. I know this because they asked my dad if he could drive them to a greyhound station after they got thrown out for being a lesbian whose girlfriend was "stealing". Dropped Out HS
2. 26-27 year old younger sister who is also homeless in Portland. I know this because they asked my dad if he could drive them to a greyhound station after they got thrown out. She I think graduated from Community College?
3. 26-27 adopted dude who disappeared after he graduated high school. I have no idea what happened to him.

Kids of Son?: (Committed murder/suicide with wife at some point)
3. 24 year old who is the same age as me, has a job lives with her and way to much debt from one of those terrible art institute schools so can't move out. I talk to her on occasion.
4. 21-22 year old younger brother of above who has HIV Aids and dropped out of highschool and is cut off contact, his sister doesn't know if he is dead or not. I liked him, but he got into hard drugs in high school.

Kids of Daughter: (In prison for various things)
5. 19 year old grandson. Sells drugs... also he knocked up a 40 year old with 4 other kids and has baby now (the gently caress)??? Dropped out of HS. Getting thrown out like in a week or two.
6. 13-14 year old twins sisters of above son. I dunno much about them they just started high school, which is when everything fell apart for most ofthe others.
7. ~1 year old baby girl born in prison now adopted.

God drat... at least on our side, the kids have mostly turned out alright so far. The parents are a financial disaster but the kids have all grown up to be pretty damned cool/sweet once they realized how bad their parents' "follow your dreams no matter the cost" bullshit advice had been. :sigh:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

CannonFodder posted:

You're in a Carerra GT and you're behind me at a stop light. I'm driving a Freightliner Cascadia and pulling 30 ton gross. It's a construction zone and there is only one lane bound by jersey barriers. Once the light goes green, I start out in 2nd and I won't be going faster than 15mph until I hit 6th gear in let's say 20 seconds. That's when I get to kick it into high range and gain 10 mph every 10 seconds. You wait until I'm a decent distance away, dump the clutch, and stay in first until you re riding the brakes while I get up to 30 so you can racing dump the clutch into second, repeat until we get out of this construction zone and there's a new lane and you can fly by me at 90 in a 55 and get the attention of the police cruiser sitting at the end of the construction zone for this exact purpose. You can't outrun Motorola.

BWM is thinking you can outrun Motorola.

I can't tell if this is an explanation of clutches or erotic fanfiction. :v:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I'm just happy Fidelity never got out the door with that stupid Crypto IRA/401k fund proposition they were exploring. Could you imagine if a major firm had made it easy to "invest" in that poo poo? People are unprepared enough for retirement as it is.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
College-aged guy at my local library was sitting with his laptop. The laptop had a big bumper-sticker on the lid with text made out of Matrix-green 1's and 0's. The text spelled out "HODL."

loving idiot.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Jack2142 posted:

Wtf is HODL?

A rather stupid cryptocurrency meme based off a typo from a lunatic bitcoiner that crypto-fans decided should become their slogan.

Edit:

Sundae fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 27, 2018

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
What if... I mean, I know this is crazy and all, but bear with me...

What if we don't take out a loan for a BMW OR a watch? :tviv:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What do you spend your money on then?!

Gotcha covered.

https://bit.ly/2NshZNi

Alas, I couldn't find anything.

Less comedic answer: I live in America. I spend it on health insurance and medical bills. :suicide:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

TraderStav posted:

Just don't put the Cartier in front of the horse please.

God, I love hate you.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Moneyball posted:

Do we really need to get in to horse puns again? I say neigh.

Agreed. Rein it in, folks.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Ah, good for him! Now he has a 0.0005% chance of winning! :stonk:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Jordan7hm posted:

if only the odds were that good

$3,200 at $2 per ticket = 1600 tickets.

Odds of winning the jackpot:

quote:

The odds of winning the jackpot are now 1 in 302,575,350.

(1600 / 302575350) * 100% = 5.29*10^-4 = 0.0005%.

They're "that good" in the sense that the number is accurate, but because the odds are actually legible, we mistakenly think the odds are decent. :haw: It's still a one in two-hundred-thousand chance even after spending $3,200 on it to even pick the numbers, excluding all the split-pot stuff.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

therobit posted:

Yeah I have some real knives that I use and care for properly, I just want something sharp enough but cheap that I can be a lot more careless with.

Find a restaurant supply store in your area and head to the knife section. $15-20 gets you something good enough to last through years of abuse and spouses putting it in the dishwasher. It won't be the greatest thing under the sun, but neither, presumably, is any of our cooking. :v:

Edit: Maybe more like $25-30? My knife is old now, and probably so is my advice.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 30, 2018

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

therobit posted:

I'll have you know that my bastardized attempts at Asian cuisine are truly gourmet!

You should see how thin my Velveeta slices are.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Amazing.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Wolfy posted:

Yeah after doing the math, that’s not a bad trade, depending on how much money someone makes. It’s a weird way to do vacation though. Context is important. What kind of money are people making there? Is this a supplement to a more standard vacation time arrangement?

We had something like this at one of my old employers. You could trade one week of vacation for equivalent pay or vice-versa to increase your vacation time. It was all treated on a pre-tax basis and they just adjusted the pay accordingly. That being said, it was done at our exact pay rate and not a set value, so you didn't have to work out whether or not you were paying a premium to get a few extra days or not.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

wilderthanmild posted:

I'm under the impression that most medication has a really long shelf life. A quick Google search turns up results claiming they are good for decades, but may begin to lose potency after the expiration date.

The currency of the future is headache medicine. Invest now!

This really, really depends on the medication and the conditions under which it's been stored. The expiry is based on how long of stability studies we have data to support in the filing (with the standard being 2-3 years based on FDA expectations and what a business cycle can deal with), but there are a lot of medications where the expiry either barely makes it to that limit.

Basically, if you see a limit shorter than two years in a modern product, it means it. There's no way we'd have done shorter than two years unless that product was just going to poo poo beyond that. Older medications or medications that are OTC, less so the case with this because nobody's going to go back and do a five-year ambient study on something they can't sell for more than $2.00 anyway, or where re-opening the product for regulatory inspection might threaten the current approval state (older products under older standards, etc).

Sundae fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 16, 2018

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Man, I would love to see some stats on median Christmas expenses per family, how it's trending, how it varies at different income levels, etc.

BWM Olympics is a good description.

Not sure if it has everything, but there's a remarkable amount of data on the topic here:

https://www.statista.com/topics/991/us-christmas-season/

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Wait, once you have them all you die?

Well yeah, duh. If you have all of them, you also procured one of those male-to-male cord connectors from AliExpress while you were at it. That's where the death part comes in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
We get nice bonuses but ours are in March, so (hopefully?) nobody is using plans of a bonus-to-be as justification for Christmas overspending.