Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

stab wounds to main characters are not fatal in this universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Personally I think the battle did had its cool moments, but overall it was pretty dumb (Jon charging alone at the enemy, the body wall, the cavalry arriving at the last moment, Sansa not telling nobody the cavalry was coming, everyone waiting around Ramsay to commit a last murder etc etc etc). And it was way too long

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Sagebrush posted:

I feel sorry for those three actresses. They were lovely characters but it wasn't their fault that they had no story and only differed in their hairstyles and weapons.

I haven't read any of the books but I bet that's exactly how GRRM wrote them right

No they are all pretty different. But all forgettable too and all about Dorne in the books is very very boring

But that's the difference I guess: in the books, the Dorne part is detailed, long and boring. In the show, Dorne is short, fast and stupid

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Its pregnant

It was Daaario

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Phenotype posted:

I think there's gotta be a lot of bullshit in there, even if some of it might be real spoilers. "The wight hunting party grows to includes Jorah, Tormund, Beric, Thoros, and the Hound" and also Gendry seems just ridiculous, it's like a who's who of cool characters that have disappeared.

This wight hunting is when they fight a zombie polar bear inst it?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Has someone who only recently binged through BSG: I found it a very fun space soap opera with decent writing, good characters and great actors

Is way better than got imo

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

cosmically_cosmic posted:

And you've finished it? I find it hard to believe someone holds this view after the last episode. (Hell, its a strugle to maintain it through the last season)

yeap. What's so wrong about it, sincerely? I found it an interesting way to tie everything up

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Soul Glo posted:

I just started The Americans, it's not as good as GOT seasons 1 and 2 but better than any GOT after

The Americans is great but it starts getting kinda boring by season 4

Still better than got, of course

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

:psyduck:

I mean obviously you're entitled to think what you like, but I can point to the exact second that it turned from enjoyable but bad to absolute trash.

During the finale when they're having a big fight on the bridge, one character manages to literally shout down a firefight and get the religious fanatic robots and humans to come together in what is essentially a speech taken from the end of an episode of south park. Then, despite knowing that merging the minds of the Cylons will mean one of them becomes aware of a murder the other committed, the murderer merges minds anway. At this time I was genuinely thinking 'Wow it would be hilarious if he just started murdering her and then they all started fighting again' WHICH THEN LITERALLY HAPPENS.

The Big Bad of the series is so shocked by a domestic dispute that he immediately shoots himself in the head despite being seconds from victory, and only stopping in the first place because of the magic hand of the script. He didnt even have any idea if he was being betrayed (He wasn't).

I mean that's not even touching the offensively bad 'It turns out it was Jesus and God all along, also technology is bad and evil, and we should fly all our medicine into the sun and live like cavemen'.

They have characters mysteriously vanish into thin air, and dead characters come back to give a patronising lecture on how humans are too stupid to be trusted with technology, and then need to learn to trust in love and God, but mostly God, and then the 'angels' tell you there is definitely only one God, and suprise, they were US all along!

I mean way to poo poo on the whole interesting concept of an advanced but still polythiestic soceity, by having the end literally be 'abrahamic religions are correct', and it's not even like in a Star Wars, they literally bring in the real earth and footage of modern New York to bang the point home that it was literally the Jesus we know from earth who magically fixed all the plot holes at the end. Hell, it had no bearing on the rest of the series, it is only there to cover up the fact that they had absolutely no idea what they were doing and had written themselves into so many corners that they just couldn't be bothered writing something that made sense.

Despite sticking 'AND THEY HAVE A PLAN' at the start of every episode.

I am so sorry to everyone who read this whole post.

EDIT: I am really suprised there has been no RLM style massive video essay about BSG. It's really ripe for it considering how many little things it got away with by putting off the 'mystery' until the finale.

I really dont remember that bridge fight, but Im okay with the rest of it

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Yeah I'll even admit, BSG is good if you like half-watch it, because the action is fun and the writing for most of the episodes is at least good. It's no Star Wars prequel in that sense, but if you try and take it at it's word (and as a whole) it falls apart so massively. All the pretentious and vaccuous 'mystery' stuff they string throughout the whole series is so bad, and bad in a way that you don't even notice it when you first watch it because you trust it is going somewhere and does make sense. And they didn't even need it, the show would have been betterw without shallow and stupid lost style mystery twists that are made up on the fly and then scrabbled into an ending 'reveal' at the last minute.

I mean it's a shame, because BSG could have been shlock that transcended into prestige status like Spartacus, but it just turned out to be like, a less successful Stargate.

Yeah, I wanst thinking all that hard. I never even understood all that stuff abouit the other earth (who destroyed it? why there was cylons there?)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Oh man you had the perfect experience then. All the space combat/fleet life stuff was great, you got all the good and none of the trash. No wonder you didn't hate the ending. That poo poo is like a punch to the balls/vagina to anyone who remembers the actual 'mysteries' the finale was 'answering'

The answer to all those questions you have was 'we thought those things would be cool hints to a mystery at the time, but it was actually just Jesus literally guiding our heroes to finish the script- I mean to fulfill their destiny!'

See, nothing in the show actually mattered, because the whole time everyone was being guided by an all-powerful omnipotent diety, whos angels show up at the end to wave away all the plot holes as being 'God moves in mysterious ways, and we need to wrap up four seasons of complete improv nonsense we thought we would figure out later'

I was expecting at least some explanation about the "ghost" Six that Baltazar interacted with the whole series (and her Baltazar). I thought they were going to explain it with something related to those projections the clyons can see (which is also something I wish they had explored more) , but at the end they are angels or at least that was what I was able to get of it

edit: Still, I had fun through the very end and kinda sad when it was over. I liked the characters(most of them) and the drama,, the soap opera aspect of it. And perhaps they would have been able to wrap it up a little better in one more season, who knows

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 14, 2017

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Bobby Digital posted:

Battlestark Galactica

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

basic hitler posted:

They super hosed up by setting it up in the reagan era, bury the lead with the wife's ties to black power groups. The Americans needs to be set comically on the nose in like the birth of the counterculture or the height of mccarthyism, instead its about reagan era soviet spies who should seriously be eyeing defection by the time Reagan is shot.

Phil is seriously considering defecting since the 1st episode

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I tried I really did. But after Phil went on a Reddit esque freak out on his daughter for reading the Bible I just couldn't go on.

Claudia was the only character I liked and as far as I know she's off the show now.

She was back a little after and is still on the show.

I liked The Americams a lot, but it does gets a little repetitive and kinda aimless after season 3

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
If by "talky parts" you mean the dialogues, they are still good, on occasion, but there's a very noticeable drop in quality from what we had before (remember, for example, that excellent scene with king Robert and Cersei talking about their marriage, which wanst on the source material and had very good dialog)

But if you mean overall writing, its been very bad for 2 seasons at least, and not better than "98% of what's in TV" at all

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Lycus posted:

6 seasons of AFFC/ADWD would've been excruciating.

We could have a season for each Tyrion boat trip

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Arya Durden would have been so much cooler

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Personally, Im not a big fan of the battle scenes. They are indeed impressive, but also usually too long and packed with dumb and stupid stuff

edit: vvvvvv the battle of bastards was the dumbest of all

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 14, 2017

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Im not american and I never heard of Ed Sheeran

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
After reading about how bad the episode was here, I watched it yesterday and kinda liked it. Not so bad, its cool mto see people finally getting after all that time, people finally arriving were they were supposed to be etc.

But Dany arrival at Dragonstone was kinda meh, why is the island completely deserted? Stannis went north, but there was supposed to be people living there, arent it? I wanted to see ordinary people reacting to her arrival, to the dragons etc, not her marching into an empty castle

And wtf is going on with the costumes? Its like the loving matrix all of a sudden

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

teamcharlie posted:

3) A brief title card addressing the fact that, no, of course Arya didn't meet a friendly Lannister boy band squad of soldiers who laugh off her promise to commit high treason and hand her all their food. She meets the same thing every other lone female human meets in the woods in Westeros: a gang of rapey murderous thugs. And then she has to actually deal with a problem herself, rather than just waiting for a dude to come along and fix everything.

wat

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

lezard_valeth posted:

What annoys me about the whole Greyjoy thing in the show is that...they LOST. These guys that had like a fleet of 100 ships and men to sail them, and then could built 1000 more ships and have more men to sail them in a small amount of time LOST the rebellion.

Up till last season the Greyjoys were a joke family not much unlike the Freys (and the show kept drawing attention to this parallel this very episode to boot!). Everyone that interacted with Theon went like "hahaha your family sucks", they barely had enough men to take some understaffed northern keeps or mount a proper rescue mission to save Theon, and now they have the GREATEST FLEET OF THE 14 SEAS!!

This is what makes me not take show Euron seriously at all, the fact that he arrived too late to the game, had 2 scenes that together don't add up to more than 10 minutes and was suddenly promoted to arc villain after the previous arc villain died and the show and the actor want to make us believe he is more threatening that a psycho kid who had 2 powerful armies full of named characters on his side, or the psycho teen that had the North and Stannis' army on his side.

In the books he also brought a shitload of gold with him, didint it? I dont remember if that happens on the show

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Nothing about the iroman makes any sense, book or show

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

esperterra posted:

I also want to see some actual consequences for Jon coming back to life. Even if he's still mostly himself in there, I can't see GRRM handwaving the resurrection as lazily as the show did.

Yeah, in the show is like he recovered from a flu or something. Nobody even mentions it

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

InFlames235 posted:

There hasn't been a winter in like hundreds or thousands of years....I think? Could be wrong.

Also don't know how if the Night King just rose up again recently or if he was always there just chilling and waiting and building a big enough army over time.

They were waiting for the right winter

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Maybe they didnt had enough white walkers

But good Craster helped them with that and eventually they got there

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Groovelord Neato posted:

television shows and books are different media.

such a bizarre angle to take too. if i don't like how the guy constructs sentences and paragraphs and pages some bad lines from the show aren't gonna make me go hmm actually i should just soldier through these books.

yeah, I like the setting GRRM created, I think the story is engaging (or at least was, at first) and there are good characters. But I also think he is a weak writer and his books are a pain to read. The first book is probably the best one, but is not a good book, imo. The TV show based on it, at the other hand, was very good

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
So, Kelly C lost her entire navy and now she got a dotraki horde suck in a tiny island to die of hunger? Very underwhelming, but not undeserved: her plan to "well lets just siege KL and wait, but without using dragons opr the huge rear end army I brought here" is the dumbest thing

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The dialogue last episode was so bad that even the remaining good actors seemed uninspired

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I still cant believe that Dany finally arrived at Westeros with a huge rear end army and dragons and decided that the best plan is not using either

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

mastershakeman posted:

the best thing about euron is he should be able to completely starve out danys army and also stop the attack on casterly rock but none of that will be mentioned.

he might as well just have one ship, same with all the armies- they only matter if a named character is with them

Well, she does have the dragons. If Euron blockades Dragonstone, she should be able to use them to destroy all his fleet

But it the problem of what to do with the whole dotracki horde that is stuck in dragonstone without a fleet to take then to the continent remains . But then again, seems like she decided to not use the horde anyway, so

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

IncendiaC posted:

I think there's still plenty of good actors left but most of them are secondary characters who have to support bad/non-charismatic actors, plus they also have to deal with really poor writing/no direction.

Tyrion's a good example. Dinklage is a great actor but has had barely any material to work with since Tywin's death. Being assimilated into Dany's storyline means giving Clarke the spotlight and she is not a good actress.

Also, the writing as been so uninspired that even the great actors cant do much with it.

Maybe is the direction too , idk, but last episode, even legitimate good actors like Diana Rigg sounded like they were just reading their lines from a paper

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The plan is still dumb because Dany has the strength and resources to just storm KL and finish the war anytime she want, is just that she finds more humanitarian to just siege and starve all the population to death instead

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Feels Villeneuve posted:

if Dany has Highgarden behind her i'm pretty sure they'll manage for food somehow, whatever, tv is dumb

Dany can order food directly from Essos if she wants, is not like distances or travel time mean anything in this reality

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Groovelord Neato posted:

are you people even serious anymore.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
All that teleportation is dumb as gently caress but still not as dumb as Dany's plan to conquer Westeros

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

some guy on the bus posted:

- Tells person with dragons not to use dragons in a war and not to attack easily defeated King's Landing where the leaders are. Instead attack some random castle.

Davos in shock at the stupidity at display: "Hell, we almost took it and didn't even have dragons!"

How does Tyrion still have his job? How is he not dragon food now?

Worse yet, Cersei knew her brother would come up with a plan that stupid and she predicted it.

kelly c: "hmm what if I use the dragons to at least destroy that huge armada that's wrecking all our poo poo? you know, like I did in meeren"
tryrion: "no no no that doenst seems safe"
kelly c: "bummer"

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I remember reading a lot of "there's no way he's gonna let the show spoil the books"

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

bloom posted:

Hound's fight scenes have pretty much all been great because there's no fancy choreography at all, it's just a big dude with armor and a big loving sword murdering people.

I still think his fight with Beric was one of the best, if not THE best.

His fight with his brother was also awesome, if short

• Locked thread