Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kilometers Davis posted:

I buy every fighting game on the PS4 and uninstall them when I realize I suck rear end, find multiplayer frustrating, and the single player isn't fun and has no decent progression/unlocks/hooks to tickle my lizard brain. Is this a good buy for that? I know Injustice 2 is going to hit the target but I've only played Tekken for short periods of time and new things are always fun.

There's a story mode which is supposed to be pretty substantial I think.

Personally I usually find Tekken a fun single player experience and a good game to play around in with friends in local co-op. Even though I get burnt out on the online quickly due to being trash garbage. But maybe this will be the game I actually decide to put effort into learning a character. Who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

i need tekken lore. who is Bronson Tran and why is he trash talking poongko in this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mpXOYL25bo

All I got from this is that King has the coolest goddamn offence in the game.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The guys at Namco have put together a recap for the first 3 Tekken games in case you're new to the story. With the rest probably coming soon.

It's a very serious and heartwarming tale.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

I heard that there are no arcade mode endings in the home release. Sucks, if true. :(

Does that mean they're coming, just not in the base game or something? From what I understand there's a different mode which gives like a short story and I think some fights for every character. So maybe that's supposed to be a replacement?

Speaking of seems like the game's been released early somewhere and people have been posting videos of it, so there's spoilers around now if people care about that.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He fights like an rear end in a top hat.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

darealkooky posted:

harada loves two things: anime babes and lovely dubstep/D&B music

luckily you can just replace the soundtrack with good music from previous games (unless you play on PC, then you get to wait for someone to bother making a mod & hope denuvo doesn't gently caress that up)

Can you assign tracks from the jukebox to stages and everything or is it just a sound test?

Also, some of the dubstep is pretty solid.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I have a feeling this guy doesn't like Shaheen much.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I almost feel like I should pop Tekken Tag 2 in to use it's tutorial because I need to brush up on my fundamentals and it's so weird the game doesn't have one itself.

Other than that game's real fun, though I guess story mode was less robust than I heard. Customisation is going to take up a lot of my time I can already tell. I spent like 30 mins with just the basic stuff you have at the beginning trying to make a couple of costumes for the characters i'm interested in. Of which there's a lot because most of the characters look pretty cool. I'm glad to be playing a new Tekken guys.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Morby posted:

I just got to the end of Mishima story mode. drat! But Heihachi will be ok like usual, right :ohdear:

If his loser and far less cool son can come back from getting thrown into a Volcano i'm sure Heihachi can do it no problem. I doubt he'll even need to get cloned or whatever happened to Kazuya to show up again.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Shumagorath posted:

This storyline is making pre-9 Mortal Kombat's look smart by comparison.

Thanks I knew it was 22/88+B that breaks the Soul Calibur A.I.

Everything being real dumb is just accurate to Tekken lore.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Langosta Whiteman posted:

I was playing some Yoshimitsu today and I got pretty frustrated so I switched to Gigas and :lol: he's super fun and just ragdolls people.

That's all.

E: I really would like to know if anyone has had any success with Yoshimitsu because he seems way too complex than what I remember from T1-5.

Yoshi had a big gameplay change in Tekken 6 i'm pretty sure and became a far more advanced character. I think he's still got some similar moves and a lot of people still have success with him and stuff, but it's a departure from how he used to play.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Shumagorath posted:

Nah he's actually fun. It's the fight before where you start with a huge handicap and a boss that is immune to hitstun.

Considering how little damage Heihachi takes in that fight the low health is barely a handicap except if you get hit by rage.

The immunity to hitstun at the end when you've already depleted one and a half health bars is real annoying though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I've discovered Katarina and King are super fun to play.

Katarina's drop dead simple to play at least at what feels like an acceptable level but all her buttons feel good and she's great for someone like me who is bad at fighters. And she's got a taunt, which instantly makes her top tier. King is pretty different and a lot harder to use correctly but i'm certain he has the coolest looking moves in the game and there's nothing better than hitting grabs that would be whiffs for anyone else

I think i'm really going to enjoy this game.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Empress Brosephine posted:

Is this story mode supposed to be this stupid like is it self aware or is t supposed to be this serious

It's probably supposed to be a little stupid, maybe not as stupid as it actually is but definitely not an insignificant amount of intentional stupidity.

E

ROFL Octopus posted:

Tekken is self-aware except for the Mishima storyline.

Other than most things about Heihachi.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Your Computer posted:

I finished the story and special chapter. Something tells me the story mode (story and gameplay) was made by someone who really likes Heihachi

Also loved the QTE that the game doesn't tell you about when you finally beat Akuma. Better press a button quick or you're dead and have to do the fight from the beginning again!

Who doesn't really like Heihachi?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Heihachi is the best and the coolest.

hosed up he didn't kill his son again in Story Mode though. He deserved to win.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

5er posted:

Jesus can anybody help? I'm so tired of doing this over and over. What's the cheap assed win button for this?

Once he hits rage for the first time just start turtling until he uses his rage art or drive. Then he loses his superarmor and you can start comboing him again. When he does it the second time though you just gotta deal with it. He won't use his rage art so you don't have to worry about the insta-kill but he won't lose super armour either so you have to hope you have enough hp left over to eat some hits from him as you chip away the rest of his life bar. Luckily he still takes full damage from attacks and everything so after like 3 good hits he should be done.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Captain Baal posted:

Hahaha, Devil Kazuya on Treasure Mode Rage Burst is instant kill. Nearly perfect on health and getting hit by that out of nowhere just killed my 31 game win streak.

Same with Super Heihachi. Lost at 29. :(

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

King's Okada outfit and the Bullet Club shirts are unlocked from the beginning so I don't know if I even need to bother with chest drops.

I like Treasure Mode though because it has funny outfits.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Arcade is just real easy and Story mode is legitimately harder.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Eliza's character ending was alright because it was very silly.

Main problem with the character episodes is that they are not in any way goofy or dumb enough. Needs more goof. Same could be said for Story Mode anytime Heihachi's not on screen, maybe even a couple of times he is.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Captain Baal posted:

Most of the character endings are kinda lame excepting like Asuka, King, Yoshimitsu, Kuma, and uhhhhh Lucky Chloe's. Most of them feel pretty flaccid or boring or incredibly one note. On some you get Bryan throwing steel girder and helicopter and laughing then you get Lili slaps Asuka and that's it, then you get Eddy's where he's just punked by Chloe and then yells angrily in his dorky voice. They don't feel like the cool previous Tekken endings that had their own storylines going on half of the time and the fact that the game only lets you do the Bloodline Rebellion arcade mode is kinda lame because I would've liked fighting Kazumi to transition into Devil Kazumi. As it stands the single player contents a bit lacking which is unfortunate after TTT2's excellent selection of nonsense to do, but the story mode is pretty cool even if the story itself isn't amazing and the game in general feels really good so idc too much about that. Besides I'm almost a Tekken Lord in Treasure Battle and I will soon have enough money to fill out the gallery.

I'm pretty sure arcade mode does have the Kazumi to Devil Kazumi fight if you don't get Akuma. I think it's random which one you get? Maybe you need to get a perfect somewhere or something?

Other than that I agree. Even the solid character episode endings come at the expense of the other character they're paired with. Steve and Nina's only really concludes on his side and so on and a lot of the stories are real boring anyway. Kind of a shame because I really like just about everything else in the game.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's definitely cooler like as a visual than the Akuma fight.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

This looks like a good game. Think I might get it.

Why is Akuma in this?

Because he was asked by Heihachi's wife to kill her husband and their son for being evil.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

In Training posted:

That's the entire cast of Tekken

Steve doesn't kick.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

tote up a bags posted:

I like Katarina, she's a big titty lady and she kicks and punches very hard

Also she has a taunt. Instantly making her top tier.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Meridian posted:

Right, I get that, but I still feel like Kazuya is pretty much a victim of circumstance. There might have been another way maybe? Jin is dealing, mostly.

Oh yeah, Heihachi's still an evil monster who loves war and violence and beat up his Dad and locked him up in the basement for 100 years and later threw his son off a cliff just to test if he was a devil. All Story Mode does is explain why Heihachi hates devils so much. Though Kazuya is pretty awful himself in ways that aren't just wanting revenge on his Dad. All Mishimas (except Lee) are just awful.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Jin sucks. How could you have the genes of Heihachi and still be so boring.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

also Kazuya is the best Mishima :colbert:

He's fine but he's no Heihachi or Lee.

Completely Official Mishima Tier List

Heihachi/Lee (The coolest and the greatest)

Kazuya (Evil and loving it)

Lars (He doesn't brood as much as Jin and I appreciate that)

Jin (brooding sad man)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Lars is a Mishima by blood and Lee's adopted. So he definitely counts :colbert:

I forgot Jinpachi and Kazumi though. Kazumi's above Kazuya because of cool fire wings and Tigers. Jinpachi is above Lars for being genuinely nice and a good person and that's rare for a Mishima and should be appreciated.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

darealkooky posted:

remember when paul was like the 4th strongest character in the series and the only non-mishima person to beat a mishima or a final boss, but then the devs realized he was a gaijin barbarian pig so they cast him down into the joke character abyss?

Yeah he owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

fnox posted:

What? That's even worse! You're telling me Akuma, the evil demon entity that only hunts those who are worthy of a fight and can appear anywhere apparently on a whim, is foiled by the news telling him that Heihachi is dead? Since when does Akuma care about the news at all? Why would that be even necessary if Akuma already thinks he killed him in the fight? What about the public's perception, which is a huge part of the whole story? Does nobody in the world care that Heihachi, who was declared dead, suddenly reappeared just as loving demons started showing up?

I know it's a story about people with weird hairstyles running the world. But it could at the very least not be a drag, it would have been way more fun if it wasn't taking itself so seriously.

I mean it's not like Akuma's plans are foiled by Heihachi pretending to be dead he just does it so Akuma and Kazuya will continue thinking he's dead and won't get distracted from killing each other. It's not that complicated. And yeah the public doesn't care that Heihachi lied about his death because he just killed the Devil himself with the satellite cannon he has for some reason.