Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

underage at the vape shop posted:

The only thing i hate about that bathroom is the toilet, toilets deserve their own room.

What happens if you gotta poop but someones in the shower? You're screwed. Bathroom toilets are the worst idea ever.

You hold it for ten minutes or walk to one of the other bathrooms??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Baronjutter posted:

Counter-top heights are an actual building code issue in some places. An architect teacher of mine was telling me about a situation where a dwarf wanted a custom kitchen made with like 2' counters so he could use them. It was his house that he fully owned, but the city wouldn't issue the permit, saying that the counters were too low and this was outside the range for accessibility. They actually used accessibility codes to gently caress with a little-person trying to build an accessible kitchen. The city wouldn't budge.

What they ended up doing was building the kitchen to code but having all the cabinet doors stop about 1' short of the floor, then build a sub-floor up all around. So the guy has to walk up a couple steps to get into his kitchen but at least he can use it. The cabinets will look like poo poo if the platform is ever removed so who ever buys the house will have to remodel the kitchen either way. The whole sticking to the code thing was "well what about the next person who buys the house?? I won't be accessible for them! What' if it's an old lady who can't bend down??"

I don't know how permits work where you are, but it sounds to me like the solution is to remodel two rooms at once: the kitchen, and some other room. Have a permit for the latter as a cover for the construction noise of the former. It won't be a problem until he sells.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Collateral Damage posted:

... Apart from the dumb threshold which I would trip over all the time, I like the contrast between the rooms.

I can't tell if y'all are joking. I go through 2+ liters of liquor a week. I'm drunk all the drat time yet I can't imagine tripping over a tiny threshold like that, especially given how the colors contrast.

The bigger issue is that it looks dumb. It's not a big enough elevation difference to really separate the spaces, at least not more than the color difference. It's juuust big enough to murder the elderly, and that's all it's good for.

Honestly it feels like the architect wanted steps, and the builders just wanted a flat floor, and they ended up at a compromise where everybody loses. Or slab issues, as others said.

I still kinda like the decor though.

Haifisch posted:

Question: Does anyone actually put chairs in their bathrooms, or is that some weird staged-for-pictures-only thing?

I ask because it seems bizarrely common:

I agree, it's weird. But there's so much weird poo poo going on in those pictures I keep getting distracted. Why is there a moss wall? Why does that one bathroom have a sputnick chandelier? They feel like some alien was given the pieces and made them into rooms not knowing what the room was for. It honestly feels pretty cargo culty.

Edit: wait, is that a loving fireplace?! :wtc:

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 30, 2017

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I'm all big toes. :shobon:

I'm jealous. Your toenails must be very sturdy.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Baronjutter posted:

Not that I'll ever own a bathroom or kitchen I could ever remodel, but what are the best current materials for just being pleasing to maintain, ie not scratching to gently caress to staining and being easy to clean?

This, but also being heat resistant like granite. I like being able to take pans out of the oven and literally set them straight on the counter.

vvv I like this post. It is good.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 8, 2017

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Turtlicious posted:

im the weird coaxial cable port in the wall in tyool 2017

What do TVs use in your area? Or is this a "who had cable these days" thing?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Facebook Aunt posted:

Her beloved husband is the unicorn head mounted on the wall.

I assumed he held the camera.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Until this past couple pages I'd had the damndest time figuring out what the hell you people meant by "subway tile." I'd only seen one post with tiles that looked like the only subway I have any experience with, the DC metro.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Anne Whateley posted:

One interesting thing about this thread is the US/UK divide. One trend that's apparently huge in the U.K. is serving food not on plates, but just on flat slabs, including slates. I'm aware a couple restaurants do it over here, but I haven't actually seen it, but apparently it's maddeningly ubiquitous there.

http://twitter.com/wewantplates

This is one of a number of threads where I'd love to be able to look up where posters live. I feel like internet forums are underutilized in tracking trends and cultural movements. First fashion designer to combine interior decorating and internet memeology could make bank.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I love the caption on this one. I imagine the realtor receiving photos or going there with a camera and just kinda sighing.

Edit: man, that house really is weirdly unsettling.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Facebook Aunt posted:

I kind of like the utility of this. Assuming your house doesn't have 5 other bathrooms, having an extra pooper in with the laundry machines seems like a good use of limited space. Less danger of a load being forgotten in the washer for 3 days.

My town house has literally nowhere else to put the washer and dryer besides the basement bathroom. Besides, like, a bedroom. Or the deck.

Best part is when the dryer alarm goes off while you're pooping. :derp:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Antivehicular posted:

"Sweetie, I just figured out what I want to do with the kitchen remodel. You remember the beginning of 2001?"

I've seriously considered building a 2001 monolith in my back yard to gently caress with my HOA.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

paternity suitor posted:

That house makes me feel peaceful, although I don't like the flesh colored walls

:stare: either calibrate your monitor or see a doctor

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Youth Decay posted:

My current design pet peeve is ~minimalist~ kitchens. Like this one. How can you cook here? Where do you put food? And dishes? And cookware besides your stupid teapot collection?

Maybe this makes me a bad person, but I really like the look. It's too bad it's not useful. I have to assume the designer just wasn't prone to cooking.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

PRADA SLUT posted:

It looks useful to me. Just because you don't load up your counters and cupboards full of poo poo doesn't mean you can't cook there.

That's about what my kitchen looks like and I have no problems cooking anything. All you need is like three kitchen knives, four pots and pans, a set of dinnerware, and a crock full of miscellaneous utensils. That's not even one entire cupboard, you still have room for a blender, coffee grinder, or whatever.

You could easily fit all that (and then some) inside the island. Assuming you have a pantry, that's all you need.

Non baker spotted.

Edit:
There's lots of folks for whom that kitchen would be fine. But it doesn't take a weirdo gadget packrat to end up with a bunch of poo poo exposed on those open shelves. It's just an odd design from a utility standpoint.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 1, 2017

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

PRADA SLUT posted:

It's not unattainable if you actually wanted it, kid excuses or not. It would be a change from what you're used to, but it's not out of reach. ...

Is it just me or this pretty condescending?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

SoundMonkey posted:

i THINK i'm the empty light sockets but there's just so many choices

Architectural dazzle camouflage :pwn:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Enfys posted:

That's a double bed :stare: You have to poop in front of your partner.

Some couples do the pooping in the hall bath to avoid stinking up the bedroom.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Youth Decay posted:

Eating places #2, #3 and #4 + a kitchen island suitable for orgies

A lot of the house gives me a kind of Olive Garden feel, but this pic especially.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

peanut posted:

What's with the can light hate? They're just servants of our real enemy, the featureless disc.

Can lights and all of these are dramatically superior to the goddamn boob lights on every foot of my house.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

learnincurve posted:

Irony is that This side of the water if you have a kitchen large enough for what we call "American freezers" then by god you don't hide them because those things are expensive.

No really, we actually call them that. http://www.argos.co.uk/browse/home-and-garden/large-kitchen-appliances/fridge-freezers/c:29617/type:american-fridge-freezers/

:pwn:

So is the term specifically for vertically split fridge/freezer combos or do UK homes have, like, super narrow refrigerators?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I like the bathroom. But the nothing but white look in living space is dumb.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

That green is horrendous, and it's everywhere. :stonk:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Youth Decay posted:

See, I like weird "ugly" design that shows the personality of it's inhabitants. Bare gray concrete (especially in the context of ~modern~ pseudo-industrial) tends to look austere and harsh. Ok in a kitchen, but for living it needs rugs on top.

So, uh, do you think looking austere and harsh doesn't tell you anything about the occupant?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Facebook Aunt posted:

Those half circle chairs in the livingroom are insanely good. You can push them together to make a little cradle for your guns.

It's like some kind of tacky space bathtub.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

TTerrible posted:

Its the hotel room of the vegas shooter.

lol had no idea

Suddenly the guns and TB's reaction makes a lot more sense

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

What I always wonder about those places that are cluttered with "decorative" items is who has time to dust and clean all that? Even if you have a maid it has to take hours each day to keep every tiny nook and cranny in every room dust-free.

Or are the room just hermetically sealed time capsules where the doors are always closed and nobody is allowed in there ever?

Who dusts every day?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

A MIRACLE posted:

Nothing spruces up a home like the smell of animal urine

You're supposed to have a litterbox.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

PRADA SLUT posted:

sorry about you’re flaccid noodle arms

Post your arms. Show him what a real man is.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

Is a square boob light still a boob light? I’m considering a couple of these for our entryway.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

cubicle gangster posted:

What do you mean? It's pretty much the standard way CG is done - made a model of the house, made models of the furniture we wanted, tweaked the material colors to match the options available etc.
I'm using Max & Vray, nothing special outside of the amount of time I spent on it.

What might help clarify some is that for me that's a pretty lovely and rough image, this is the kind of work I do at my day job - http://dboxglobal.tumblr.com/tagged/cgi
The last 15 years of long hours at a desk are finally starting to become useful in real life.

You're really good at what you do, fyi

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

cubicle gangster posted:

Ha, I was wondering if anyone would call it out for looking like a west elm window display. It was not intentional, it's just where we ended up after deciding on dark walls, being stuck with walnut and trying to find pieces that worked within it. The credenza we end up with will probably just be all wood, no brass details.

I'm not all that "up" on such things but I feel like brass is one of those things that goes into and out of style every few years.

Comedy option: buy duplicate fittings for all cabinets, with one set brass and the other nickel or whatever. Rotate as necessary.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I love the comment that's like "oh honey bless yore heart you must ain't be from the South"

like being a Southerner means you have good taste or common sense.

I don't think the person meant that Southerners have good taste, it's that the "need" for a living room is more entrenched there. Think about where the huge-house-having aristocracy was for most of America's history.

Edit: when I was buying my house my dad came along to give advice, etc he kept saying "but there aren't enough rooms to have a living room." He didn't believe when I told him those are for old people until the real estate agent backed him up.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 19, 2018

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

The Brady Bunch house is for sale. Technically, it's the one they used for the exterior title shot. Fun fact which you probably knew: that iconic front window is not on the actual house -- it was a fake added on for the shot (and if you look closely enough at a Brady Bunch title still, you can even see the wires they used to hang the window.).

Nothing overtly horrible to find here (although it does have a bit of a time capsule element), but it is interesting to see the actual interior compared to the Brady Bunch sets.

Surprise: they're nothing alike. But we all knew that.

It's dated but not all that bad. And then I got to this:

I actually went "yargh" at my screen. Then I saw the booblightfan.

Why are there so many old houses with a god-awful pink bedroom?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

SpartanIvy posted:

Usually squads of Grunts led by Elites or Brutes is a good indicator, but if they have active camoflauge it can be hard to tell.

I just want you to know I appreciated this.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Haifisch posted:

Sometimes you see a kitchen and just know nobody ever actually intended on cooking in it. Usually it's less blatant, though.

Maybe they intended to cook, just never intended to clean.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Electric Bugaloo posted:

To many people they’ve become the MCM hipster equivalent of keeping a Vitamix blender on your kitchen counter next to your KitchenAid stand mixer, which is a real shame because I honestly think they’re really exquisite pieces of furniture design...

Goons have always been super hung up on showing everyone how into the ultra-poplar things they aren't. Interior design works a lot better when people just pick out what they like and try to make it work together rather than trying to carve out a niche in internet e-peen design history.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The desktop goes in the office, which is geared towards functionalism more than aesthetics because it's not by default a public space. Too bad if you don't have a spare room you can dedicate to computing, I guess. :shrug:

Alternatively, the desktop goes in the play room, I guess.

If you're decorating for anyone but yourself anywhere in your home, you're doing it wrong. gently caress other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I like the outside, but the interior is a case study in why they stopped making brutalist buildings. Turns out buildings in styles that explicitly minimize windows kinda suck to live in. Who knew?