Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Piell posted:

I'd line it with something really slick so I could powerslide into the kitchen.

I've been thinking about that for days! I thought I was the only one. Like how to install a weird permanent slip-n-slide? Hmmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

The Bloop posted:

It's just like playing rummy with cards except you use tiles (and have a bigger hand) where you make runs and sets etc - but the goal is simply to go out, sets you play aren't "yours" for points or anything.

The real difference is that you can alter any set out there as long as it stays legal. Like if someone played 7.8.9 and you needed the 9 for something, you could play a six and then take the nine since the remaining 6.7.8 is still legal. It also has two wild tiles that can be swapped out in the same way.

It's a fun take on rummy.

:corsair: maybe but whatever. If you don't like it we'll play cribbage instead.

I also play it! My grandparents from Argentina taught me how. It's fun!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Apparently someone performed the ritual sacrifice and closed my Gate.

I don't know why they put the rocks there; I suspect a misinterpretation of what I told their boss, but luckily I can move most of them easily. So, now for some choices:

This one doesn't look half-bad, but may be prone to rust.

This one might last a bit longer. Or not, who knows?

This one might be a nice contrast, rather than round with round and some more round.

I'm open to any suggestions that aren't crazy expensive. I guess getting a pit ring and stacking blocks around it is a possibility as well, but I'm less keen on that.

I'm not sure if other people have already answered this, but my old house has the top one and it's fine!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Blue Footed Booby posted:

lol had no idea

Suddenly the guns and TB's reaction makes a lot more sense

Ohhhhhhh. :aaaaa:

underage at the vape shop posted:

This is the coolest house I have ever seen, but what happens when it hails

:swoon:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Anyone have any recommendations for brands of ergonomic recliners? I know there are companies that make made-to-measure things but I think my price range is going to be more ready made.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

What do you mean by "ergonomic"? Like you want a recliner that forces you to sit straight with a correct posture?

Yep, pretty much. I have a condition where my body is fusing my spine together slowly, so something adjustable is good. :black101: My doc says you can adjust most chairs to work and that I don't need to spend a lot of money, but I've heard that there are companies that specialize in this sort of thing and I was just curious to see what's around.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 27, 2017

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Southern Heel posted:

I will need redecorate my whole house. I took advice from this thread and I'm looking towards the natural colours of broadly these shades: https://www.sherwin-williams.com/pr...arts-and-crafts

I'm thinking of the taupe, or pewter for the kitchen (shown as is, obviously):

It feels like the wood is such a huge part of the real estate (and won't have a tempering balance of white woodwork as elsewhere in the house) that I need to go with something relatively pale, especially given how dark it looks with the breakfast are through the arches lit up with sunlight constantly.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. No other colours are planned, downstairs there are only two other rooms - a wide hall (a lighter shade of taupe) and a living-diner (maybe a light olive green)

I have no advice yet but I'm curious about what year your house was built. What's that room the fridge is in? A sunroom situation?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Are those chicken eggs? Maybe it's a trick of the angle but they look enormous.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I hope your wife feels better soon... And sending best wishes for a healthy pregnancy.

Peanut's ideas are always excellent, so I'll agree with them. I wonder about like a burnt orangish color also. Maybe that would warm things up a bit?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Navy blue and cappuccino could be very nice. :)

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I think it's like latchhook but with little plastic jewels or something? I always am shown those jewel painting results when I'm looking for cross stitch patterns/ideas.

Edit: yeah, what Suspect Bucket said.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I love embroidery and knitting and weaving (so I'm into obsessive, repetitive crafts, is what I'm saying) and I cannot imagine dealing with plastic bead jewels like that. That's so many tiny fiddly objects. It takes all sorts, I suppose!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Suspect Bucket posted:

Basically. But it relaxes her. And you know what, she's had a rough life, and if she just wants to poke plastic and watch alien documentaries, who am I to stop her.

I am all in favour of your support of her. :)

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Contents included: https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/450-W-Grixdale_Highland-Park_MI_48203_M37779-89409?cid=soc_shares_ldp_fb#photo0

Edit: oh wait, did we already see this one? :rip:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

John Edward's second (?) home for sale in Chapel Hill, NC.
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article180839771.html

quote:

Orange County property records show Edwards still owns the nearly 26,000-square-foot estate at 1201 Old Greensboro Road, which sits on more than 100 acres. The total land and building value is listed at $4.45 million, according to 2017 property records. The total value was previously listed at about $5.58 million in December 2016.

The five-bedroom main house is linked to a four-bedroom guest annex, centered on a full-size basketball court with a UNC-Chapel Hill theme. Edwards graduated from the UNC School of Law. The main house is about 10,800 square feet.

The house also has 11 bathrooms; vaulted ceilings; an arched stone wall and fireplace; wide-board pine flooring; a game room with its own kitchen, pool table and fireplace; an exercise room; men’s and women’s locker rooms; a sauna; a handball court; a covered, heated swimming pool; an elevator; skylights; covered terraces; an outdoor kitchen; and a four-car garage.

The Edwards family bought the land in 2004 for $1.32 million, according to Orange County property records. The land previously belonged to Paul and Robert Guthrie, county records show.

The Edwardses and their two younger children moved in to the gated estate in 2006, after Edwards was unsuccessful in his bid to be vice president as John Kerry’s running mate in 2004. Edwards would launch his own unsuccessful campaign for the presidency in 2008.

wall words

pool

rock climbing fireplace

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

bEatmstrJ posted:

Oh hi. Took me just over a year to realize I was the inspiration for an interior design thread. How fun...

How'd your bathroom turn out?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Raise High The Roofbeam, Beatmaster.

I too am curious how it got fixed and how it turned out. There was some talk of a sand pit? We talked about the possibility of mold growth in river rocks that bath water would splash on and how to test for that.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

My sister in law (a molecular biologist) gave him (through me) some ideas about how to test before the renovation, he started the stufyy, and the thread got closed before we saw the results. Iirc she wasn't sure if it would be a problem.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Now let's be clear here: are you suggesting that everyone should spend at least $500 on each lighting fixture, or are you suggesting that everyone should be a lighting fixture costing at least $500? Because your use of "you're" suggests the latter.

The idea that we all are individually obligated to ourselves be lighting fixtures hadn't occurred to me.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I am imagining that they are human children in a parrot zoo, run by the macaws.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Reading this thread reminded me to check our fire extinguisher tag dates... And I don't see any kind of date. :confused: we have the rechargeable sort and the pressure reads correctly. Is that all I'm looking for? My previous ones have been the one time only sort.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Thank you for assuaging fire extinguisher worries.

Completely separate design (?) problem - when other people quote me in this thread my own text doesn't appear highlighted. I'm not having this problem in any other thread. Is anyone else having this issue? I'll mosey on down and tell the devs about it.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I think that feeling like you should do something is one kind of wanting to do that thing. See Freud for other lukewarm takes on pursuit drives that your inner child doesn't want you to know.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Prada Slut, what's the grey space on the far side of your kitchen? Is that a pantry door... or a chalkboard... or...? Just not sure what I'm seeing.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

People swear by Ali Express for custom curtains. I'd just get fabric and hem my own if it's just a rod pocket you want...

Wait: do you want each panel to be 100"W? I see a bunch on amazon.ca and Home Depot website at 90"L, if you want 100"W with two panels @ 52" or 54" W. If you want each at 100"W, I'd try writing to those companies and see what they can do for you.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 26, 2019

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah, I need two panels at 100"W each. Or so. It's a large window, a full 90" wide.
Honestly for sheers I think it'll look fine to have more than two panels per window. I've done that to keep the dog from nosing open the curtains.

In any case a bunch of the 90"L and 54"W ones are less than $25, so you may want to consider contacting the Amazon sellers.

Or parent trap this, that's good too.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

The Bloop posted:

Inexpensive but nice decor and home goods chain. Nothing to do with christmas trees other than the name (except during the appropriate season)

Ohhh. I thought it was a pop up shop around Christmas.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Following up from my original questions about the bathroom design, what's the storage situation?

E: my bad, I can see the cabinets now. Was looking on my phone with Twilight enabled. Hurray for storage.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Feb 27, 2019

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Anne, I'll chat Tiny Bronto with the pictures right now. Good reminder! Thank you!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

What happens when you run the shower a few times and the rock wall gets damp?

Between that and the pebble drain I really think you're just a lonley microbiologist trying to cultivate all sorts of new horrors.

In the original thread, I shared advice from my sister in law (a microbiologist) on how to test the rock floor idea before implementation.

E: I think she said it would depend on a whole lot of things but to bathe in water and put it on samples of the stones and then let them sit at different humidities, which seemed like a common sensical and a cheap way of testing it.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 27, 2019

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

bEatmstrJ posted:

I certainly don't see why my bathroom should be the only one to get any attention. This thread is for critiquing interior designs, that's all I'm doing.

The OP of this thread has a clear rule I thought. She's been permabanned so I don't know what the rules are now?

Edit: also Anne she says hi and asks for your Twitter but I don't think you have PMs so I am communicating in thread about it!

Edit2: oh the OP is only about people sincerely asking for help.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 28, 2019

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I was in Argentina over the summer and all the showers had a shitload of heads, it was weird as hell and the water pressure was terrible:

Haha my dad is from Argentina and is an engineer who works on showerheads (in the States). I have no insight on what the gently caress is going on, though certainly he's not personally responsible for the entire trend. But why so many showerheads, dad?!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

value-brand cereal posted:

Thread, rate this bathtub:

Rick Owens’ Tomb Bathroom

On one hand I know it's spose to be arty and minimalist, but on the other hand that wall and sink looks like a british public bathroom from the 80s where then[now?] illegal homosexual hook ups happened.

But the faucet looks like it can actually pour water into the tub which is a step up from Beejmaster's tub.

I love it. Super calming aesthetic. The huge light stones look incredibly fancy to me in an understated way, not show offy. It looks like very old parts of the Middle East, a modern day private heated aqueduct system.

Edit: oh just caught up with the thread. Makes sense it's the architect's own home and remind me of huge outdoor structures. I wonder if the huge heavy stones mean he had to do additional structural reinforcement.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Mar 3, 2019

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

The_White_Crane posted:

Hold on.
There's a mixer tap, which produces (one assumes) hot and cold water.
And there's another tap on the left. What's that for?

I think that's only hot water for filling pots closer to the sink, no? Or hot enough to make tea?

:siren:
Unrelated important question for the thread - new thread title update?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

It looks like a table for kids to play with. I can imagine a kid playing by climbing their figurines to the top of the summit, struggling, is he going to make it, and -- oh no -- an enemy appears.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

actionjackson posted:

Speaking of beds, my uncle mentioned he got one from this company

https://www.zinus.com/collections/platform-beds

their prices are INSANELY low - quite a bit less than Ikea even - I'm really suspicious. I mean yeah they are made in China but still. The ones that are "wood" just say "wooden" in their description without any further info.

I think I have just a metal 12 inch bedframe from this company and my ex has the 14 inch one. They are both totally fine.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

graph posted:

i've spent a fair amount of time in that area and had no idea such a house could exist there

Extremely :same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

https://www.twitter.com/jasontoon/status/1156094799381819392