Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Looking in the background, it seems the house is on a lake somewhere. Kind of explains the proximity of the next door McMansion as well as the elevation changes.

On the far right side it looks like a baller outdoor kitchen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Hide that TV. Don't make the focal point of your living room a huge rear end TV.

Personally, I'm a big fan of lifters that hide TVs in furniture or the ceiling. The lifters aren't too expensive, but making room in the attic or fitting to nice furniture gets expensive quick. Hiding behind artwork is typically the cheapest--nothing says you can't put art on folding shutters or rolling doors. Dielectic mirrors look great--but the cost of the glass to hide 65" behind a frame would most likely blow your budget.

https://www.bobvila.com/slideshow/9-ways-to-make-your-tv-look-at-home-46542

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Also I think it's dumb to hide a major appliance you use every day (mcmansion fridges, are your ears burning)
Once you place the dishwashers, warming trays, and fridge--they don't move, so they are really easy to find the next day.

I don't believe you use that pot-filler, pinterest kitchen people :colbert:
Two to three times a week I'd guess. Once you have a pot filler, you just don't ever think about using the sink to fill a pot. Pull out your pot, turn on the cooktop, and go. Hey and if you are a really bad cook--fire suppression! (j/k Don't do that--have an ABC extinguisher within arms reach.)

Doctor Butts posted:

Yes, hide the thing you're going to look at/use most in the room.

That makes sense.

Some people are super proud of their TV. Some people are super proud of how they hide the TV. If a TV is the most used item in your room--go for the dielectric mirror or folding shutters.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Baronjutter posted:

This is my kitchen.

What I'd give for an outlet somewhere to the right of the sink.
What is on the other side of the wall behind the sink? Is it an inside room? Or more to the point is there an outlet anywhere on the wall behind the sink? If there is and you don't have too crazy of a backsplash, adding an outlet shouldn't be too difficult.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Come to the interior design thread to offer ideas. Stay to have insults projected at you by the OP

Haha come on, to hide the terrible shame of owning 90-year-old technology? If this was the 50s you'd be knitting a telephone cover.
Hey some people love to walk around with the underwear showing and underwear has been around even longer. NOCD.

Just sayin':

My grandparents hid their TVs. My parents strove to hide our TVs. So what can I say, third generation TV hider. For me personally, I'd prefer my guests' eyes find other things in my living space to catch their attention. Hearing, "Wow, what a beautiful TV" doesn't fill me with the warm glow that I've made good design choices. Conversely, I have plenty of friends with double recliners and TV tables in the living room with a TV right in the middle--no judgment. Do what you want with your house. Some want form. Some want function.

As for:

Are you so insecure? Are you so judgmental?

You are the OP of an interior design thread, right? Not everyone's tastes will align. Calling people insecure or judgmental for offering interior design suggestions in a thread asking for design suggestions is a bit on the strange side. Just going to leave this here for you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Doctor Butts posted:

So, you're saying that even if TV watching is the main function of the room, I should still hide it with Rube Goldberg mechanisms for no reason at all. That makes sense.
Go through the pictures posted in this thread and count the visible TVs. The pictures with TV's mostly seem to be labeled with less than positive descriptions.

Doctor Butts posted:

I am frightened to share my ideas on the internet.

Seriously! No idea providing suggestions to hide a TV in an interior design thread could be so upsetting. Do what you want with your house. It is a personal choice.

If my posts aren't your cup of tea--ignore me.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Absolutely not. That's not how inclusiveness in this thread is going to work.

If someone posts for help with a design goal, your options are:
1. Help
2. Don't post

Somebody's building a barbecue pit and you're a vegan? Cool, help or don't post.

Somebody's looking for a bungalow and you hate the suburbs? Help or don't post.

Somebody's designing a room around a television set, pool table, model train collection, or sex swing and you're much too good for that sort of thing? HELP OR DON'T POST.

I hope that I've made myself clear.
Made yourself clear? You just attacked me on a personal level again--what is wrong with you? You've called me insecure, judgmental, and now the "much too good for that sort of thing" comment. Where are you coming up with this crap? You are projecting some hosed up persona on me all from suggesting methods to hide TVs in response to a question about where to place a TV.

Tell you what--I'm confident I've provided good advice in all my posts. Just as I like to hide TVs for aesthetic reasons. So to do I like use Ignore feature to avoid the mentally unwell and annoying posters on SA. Going to take my advice and bid you adieu.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Reading through your posts, you seem generally unhelpful, but otherwise not distracting. And I don't read TB's post as persinally attacking you, either. It seemed to be some advice aimed towards you, and a lot of advice aimed at general lurkers and posters. Your post here is a crazy, CRAZY defensive overreaction that actually shows YOU projecting, through accusation. Vehemently homophobic senator actually being gay, that kinda thing. This post makes you look crazy. Please think about that.

Telling people to just "ignore you" in somebody else's thread is the wrong advice. Instead, change yourself or don't post here. This isn't yours.
Some quality interior design advice right there.

Anyone able to point to me to a good mental health thread where I can ask for some tips on kitchen layouts?

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Progressive JPEG posted:

This would be pretty amazing if they had cabinets on the other side as well, for storing all the stuff that isn't needed as often. But given that they've got a pseudo bar setup going there I'm guessing they didn't do that :(

I once rented a place with a big kitchen with roughly that square footage where the center was just a big void, it feels like this island is at least doing something with the space. I feel like the colors they chose are already out of style though.

Not even good for loving; the low-hanging lights would get in the way.

Gonna guess that the floor pillars were meant to emulate the doorway pillars to the left, but I just see a great place for my toes to get stubbed.

Also going by the fraction of the neighboring room that's also in the shot, this doesn't look like it really fits in with the rest of the house despite the aforementioned attempts at doing so. Maybe this room used to be something other than a kitchen?
I'm out classed in this thread. I look at that first kitchen and notice some of the finer details--the backsplash work, the lighted crown molding, the rounded trey ceiling, the detailed windows casing, hell all the trim work. That curved crown molding isn't something you see in regular houses. Those are 9' ceilings--the molding used to fill the space between the top of the cabinets and the ceiling--not cheap. And your not going to see cabinets on the front side of bar (42") island--besides looking very strange the practical reason is you'd have people putting their feet all over the doors and pulls. I'd bet there is a nice brass foot rail on the other side though.

The second kitchen--is that from a 2011/2012 This Old House? It sure looks familiar... If it is the kitchen I am thinking about, the couple host cooking parties where they teach techniques and the like. You see the seating on the end--but the two long sides also have seating. With the overhang being wide enough so stools can be pushed completely underneath. The pillars at the end of the marble counter are for support. There should be two or three invisible mounts under the counter as well. Marble and granite are strong--but an supported two foot overhang would snap off eventually. Got to be able to stand on the counters--how else are you going to change the light bulb?

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Quit being an rear end in a top hat in this nice thread.

And again with the personal insults. You stay classy!

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

YamiNoSenshi posted:

Finally took some pictures. Here's what our kitchen looks like now, with a picture of the dining room (that does get regular use, thankyouverymuch)

[..]
Does all this sounds sane?
Do you have your room measurements with the openings (doors/windows)?

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Please just stop. This thread has one rule, you're breaking it. Leave.

You appear to be the one that can't stick to your own rule. I have paid my $10--didn't know certain threads were off limits. Stick to talking about interior design and if you have nothing to add to the conversation just don't post. If you feel the need to continue the personal attacks please leave it out of the thread and take it to PMs.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Jesus Christ gently caress off
If you feel the need to continue the personal attacks please leave it out of the thread and take it to PMs.

If someone posts for help with a design goal, your options are:
1. Help
2. Don't post

Somebody's building a barbecue pit and you're a vegan? Cool, help or don't post.

Somebody's looking for a bungalow and you hate the suburbs? Help or don't post.

Somebody's designing a room around a television set, pool table, model train collection, or sex swing and you're much too good for that sort of thing? HELP OR DON'T POST.

I hope that I've made myself clear.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Haifisch posted:

Maybe if we post enough other things, the derail will go away.

Any recommendations like this for washing machines? I'm fortunate enough to have a dishwasher in my apartment, but I irrationally hate having to drag my clothes upstairs and feed the coin laundry. I'd honestly prefer doing a million tiny loads of laundry if it meant less lugging stuff around and getting quarters.
Look for portable washing machines:

https://smile.amazon.com/Haier-HLP24E-Portable-Stainless-Pulsator/dp/B00WSVFM7K

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

If you are planning a tile project in an area that will be wet/have concerns about the grout getting dirt/moldy--check into using epoxy grout. Epoxy grout is a bit harder to work with and doing very large showers and the like takes some fore thought, but you'll never have to worry about cleaning the grout/resealing.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

YamiNoSenshi posted:

So if granite/stone countertops are a fad and awful, what's the SA Thread Approved(tm) kitchen counter material?

I don't think stone is going out of style anytime soon. There are so many variations of granite and marble that no two counters will ever be the same. Combine the aesthetics with being easy to clean and next to impossible to crack, scratch, and stain--they are a tough counter surface to beat. If you are interested in a stone counter tops, figure out how much you need and take a trip to a Lowes/Home Depot and get a few quotes. Then go looking for a local granite/marble guy and see what he has to offer. Our local guys typically beat the big box stores by 30% to 50%.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Subjunctive posted:

Why does the pantry door have a keypad lock on it?
My guess would be a VBRO/vacation rental property. Sex dungeon and keep the dog out are my two favorites though.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

The Bloop posted:

The garage door is terrible for a dozen reasons, the dazzle camouflage tilework is ugly to me but competently done so whatever, but what the gently caress is the reasoning behind toilets at the top of stairs?

No door on the toilet is dumb and bad, but have these people never been really sick? That toilet is a suicide machine. I have to assume there is some lazy/cheap architectural/plumbing reason for it.
Sinking tubs is hard. Much easier to raise the toilet.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

peanut posted:

Why is everyone obsessed with resale value? Doesn't anyone have family houses/forever home?

In the USA, one of the best tax loop holes is the profit on a house sale. If you are married and live in your house for two years, you can profit up to $500,000 from the sale before having to pay taxes.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Be careful chipping out the bottom, I think the LGM-30G is 60ft tall. Would be a long fall... And don't let the DoE catch you doxxing their silos.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Jaded Burnout posted:

Which is the brand that goes in slow motion and goes wub wub wub wub wub while you think about Nam?

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah great right up until the kid has a nightmare. Can't just cry out for help with the monster under the bed. Nope. Little kid you has to get your keys, get out of bed, go outside, get to Mom and Dad's room, decide you're too old to go crying to mom and dad, turn around and head back to your room, stare in horror when you realize you left your room unlocked and now anything could be in there. You turn to run back to mom and dad's room, but you trip! Your keys go skittering off into the darkness.

But on the plus side you'll never overhear your parents having sex. I guess it all evens out.
I'm going out on a limb and suggesting home invasions and the like are not a problem in Portola Valley. Wildlife? Yah, maybe. There are still lots and lots of places you can live where door locks aren't required. Notice there is no dead bolt on the bedroom door?

https://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Portola_Valley-California/crime/

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Looks like someone didn't know when to stop building:

https://twitter.com/davidcrespo/status/905858942579900417

It is a like a catalog of every single expensive feature you can put on a house. 17,000sqft for a vacation home--yowza. No interior shots though. :(

From the article: The photos prove something that my father used to say: “Money can’t buy good taste.”

Did not realize the DeVos fortune was from Amway. Figures she comes from pyramid scheme money.

Hey, at least she wiggled out of paying school taxes on the property.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Now some of you may jump to conclusions, but I really want you to give this one a chance because I think it has potential. Especially since it's an HDLC property, meaning the building cannot be torn down without preserving the historically significant exterior.

Style: Shot Gun

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Price/sqft: $56

Had me at the doorway and cabinet detail...

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Facebook Aunt posted:

And it's just three doors down from this beauty: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/113-W-Fremont-Ave-Burlingame-KS-66413/113210757_zpid/

That's an interesting neighbourhood.
You got me to bust out Google Street View. I live rural--but not that rural!! The $185K home appears to be the nicest in town. Had a few Mercedes in the driveway. Lots of typical rural homes, a few boarded up and more with just a few boarded up windows. But what cements the rural nature of the town--how fast the paved roads disappear into single lane dirt roads.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Would you be using the table every night? Tilt top and drop leaf style tables do great in small spaces--the table would be against the wall until you use or have guests over. The tilt tops tend to be small/best for a couple. The drop leaf you can use every day with two and fold up the leaves when you have company.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Isn't the main walkway from the kitchen to the other areas? How often do you go in out your front door?

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Versatile Building Products in Anaheim sells some great epoxy floor products. Have used the Diamond Crystals on several floors and they never disappoint. Also, if you are putting epoxy on floor that is going to be wet, there are additives you'll want to put in the top coat to improve the grip. And while you can make the floors more slip resistant--you'll never make them softer. If you drop something glass on concrete floor--it is going to break and they are never fun to stand on for long periods of time.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

I grew up using AutoCAD but then I started building more than drawing and found I was learning/fighting with the software more than drawing--plus the costs got way out of hand. I've switched to a combination of TurboFloorPlan and Chief Architect. TurboFloorPlan is very inexpensive and super easy to use.

Depending on the client and the project, I'll give my copy of TurboFloorPlan to a client to use for a few weeks and let them run wild designing their dream house. Turbo takes minutes to get started with but hits limitations pretty quickly. But it does a great job showing you what will fit/work and what wont. The thing it does save is lots of back and forth with an architect in the initial steps. For $100 or so--it is tough to beat the price.

Chief Architect lacks the complexity of AutoCAD, but after you learn its limitations works really well. Trying to create a plan pack in Turbo is a kludgey mess, so once the initial design is decided I'll create the plan pack with Chief. Laying out the majority of pages is fairly straight forward: grading, foundation, framing, MEP, cross sections/details, landscaping, etc--the only pages that suck to do in Chief are the elevations. I'll spend as much time getting elevations plans to convey what they need to as I'll spend on everything else involved in a plan pack. (But still quicker for me than AutoCAD where I was fighting with every page...)

e: both handle 3D renderings, with Chief handling more complex renderings very easily--time of day cycles/sun positioning/lights on and off inside the house, fly thoughs, views from various positions, and landscaping kind of stuff

HycoCam fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 19, 2018

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

HycoCam: given those goals, it sounds like TurboFloorPlan is worth checking out. They have like a dozen different versions with different prices though, any reason I shouldn't just grab the $50 "deluxe" version instead of the ones that cost $100+?
https://www.turbocad.com/content/turbofloorplan-2017-windows-comparison-charts

The best thing about getting the least expensive version is you won't know what your missing/get frustrated by the limitations until you're exposed to a more complex CAD program.

And you touched on the biggest issue with building your dream house--the land it is built on. Flat lots versus sloped lots, building norms, and south facing (if you are in the Northern hemisphere) are all going to be factors when it comes to the final design. But to get started--the $50 version will work great. Might want to grab SketchUp and tinker with it for an evening or two. Not sure if SketchUp has changed in the years since I played around with it, but figuring out pushing and pulling, getting dimensions right, looking at renders--all of that stuff were not intuitive for me. Versus TurboCad which has you looking at your design in an hour or two. Understand though for $50 and easy to use, the trade off is not having (m)any of the more complex CAD options.

But for communicating what you want to an architect--tough to beat the $50 or even the $100/$150 versions. Time is money and you'll spend a lot less time consulting with your architect to get the exact plans you want for a custom home. Also will allow builders to give you a quick back of the napkin price range to keep you from going too far into dreamland.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Deviant posted:

Oh my god, there's actually an interior design thread. Maybe you guys can help me with my set up in this apartment bedroom.

Currently I'm working with this:

Thoughts?
How many people sleep in the bed? Having the side of the bed against the wall makes changing sheets and/or the 2nd person getting into bed/having to get up in the middle of the night a PIA.

Will any of the dressers fit in the closet? Is the bathroom shared with rest of the apartment or just for the bedroom? Maybe move some of your clothes into the bathroom--stuff like underwear, PJs, and dirty clothes hampers work better than you'd expect in the bathroom.

Gone are the days of heavy TVs. Wall mounts are fairly inexpensive--although not sure how much the landlord will like you when you move out and either leave the mount or a few large mounting holes.... (Plus if your apt was built with metal studs, the mount install is a little trickier.)

e: missed the cat tree in first read through. My sister loves her wall mounted cat tree/lounge--something like: https://smile.amazon.com/Trixie-Pet-Products-Wall-Mounted-Lounging/dp/B01IK50RLI but there you got making holes in the wall again. The advantage being, if you do have metal studs, you can mount the cat tree into drywall with the right hardware.

HycoCam fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 19, 2018

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

His Divine Shadow posted:

Well it makes sense doesn't it for americans, you're so damned mobile, moving everywhere for jobs, you don't live long in a single place so it seems natural to me that you would not consider it "your home" and that you're thinking of the next move a few years away to some other place in the US and what price you can get for the house when selling it.
Lots of reasons to sell your house, moving for a job being one. But another great reason is the USA's tax code. Done right a married couple can pocket up to $500,000 every two years tax free.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Get used to the above colors. In about six months your house will be covered in the those colors which will last until your last kid gets to be about four or five. Just sayin' And congrats--kids really are the meaning of life.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Learned a new solution to popcorn ceilings. Cover it with crochet!

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

The first thing I'd do is save those MLS photos to your device and then upload as an imgur album and share that link instead... On a PC you can right click>Save for most pictures or use a browser like Opera with a snapshot option.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Another trick with popcorn ceilings--and really only viable if you are replacing lighting fixtures, adding ceiling fans, and/or making large holes--cover the old ceiling with new 1/4" drywall. In addition to painting, you will need to tape and mud the new ceiling. Way less mess than trying to scrape off the old texture or tearing out the old ceiling.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Common room, reception room, or parlour?

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Suspect Bucket posted:

What are the thinnest, deepest drawers available? I want to put a 4in drink rest rail behind a 6ft long couch, but I dont want the dead spave to go completely to waste. Probably gonna store fishing rods back there.

My dad came up with / stole this idea for me and my sister. Back when I was younger, my twin bed was in a narrow corner with no room for a side table, so he made a drink rail in back of the bed so I could safely have a glass of water back there while I read in bed. He extended the idea to my sister's room, and then her apartments/homes so far, as she's had the same (really nice and comfy) sectional forever, but no room or desire for a coffee table. It's basically just a 2x4 on L brackets level with the top of the sofa or bed, and it keeps drinks securely upright. Besides the dead space, it's a great idea. If I could cram a drawer or two back there to keep spare USB cables, chargers, and the remote you only need to change the surround sound, that would own. But i have never come across a 3.5 inch wide drawer.

I'd make something from scratch but a circular saw is gonna be hard to come by, just wondering if a commercial solution already exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XeK0oDz0Us
No power tools required.

Might want to try searching for bookcase headboards and storage headboards, but not sure how closely the measurements would work for behind a couch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Instead of taping and then painting, why not go with a peel and stick accent wallpaper? All the effort of getting the tape lines straight, none of the effort of painting. And a lot less work to go back to a blank wall.