Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Aside from the usual whining about being "unfair" and "inflationary", Marc Thiessen has another reason why we should be upset at Brandon's loan forgiveness: are troopz

quote:

But here is the worst part of all: Biden’s plan is an act of stolen valor. He is claiming authority for student-loan forgiveness by invoking the 2003 Heroes Act — a law passed after the 9/11 attacks to support the men and women mobilized to fight terrorists and to make sure that they did not default because of their military service. The law explicitly states that it is designed to help the “hundreds of thousands of Army, Air Force, Marine Corps, Navy, and Coast Guard reservists and members of the National Guard [who] have been called to active duty or active service” and asked to “put their lives on hold, leave their families, jobs, and postsecondary education in order to serve their country.” It authorizes the secretary of education to modify or forgive their postsecondary loans on a case-by-case basis “in connection with a war or other military operation or national emergency, regardless of the location at which such active duty service is performed.” In 2007, when Congress made the Heroes Act permanent, it explicitly reiterated that it was acting to address “the unique situations that active duty military personnel and other affected individuals may face” (emphasis added).

Now Biden is using a law designed for active-duty service men and women as a pretext to provide loan forgiveness for those who never wore the uniform. Indeed, he is giving students who did not serve broader benefits than those who did. In so doing, he is effectively turning an entire generation of Americans into military impostors — receiving the benefits of military service they did not render. Imagine if he found a loophole in the GI bill to allow students who did not serve to obtain the same military scholarships as veterans. There would be widespread outrage. This is no different. The bill is called the Heroes Act for a reason. Americans who take out loans they can’t afford to repay are not heroes — and should not be treated as if they were.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/08/31/student-debt-forgiveness-heroes-act-unamerican/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

emo-ignorance posted:

My favorite form of discourse is "You're not allowed to have an opinion on this." Thank you captain I will schedule the lobotomy immediately

Next on the liberal agenda: means testing for who's allowed to have an opinion.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

People on both sides of the spectrum being concerned about a train derailment that could be leaking toxic substances sure is a mystery for the ages.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"Everyone has to like the same things".

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

You can, in fact, be a prison and police abolitionist and still think that terrible people like Tate deserve to sow what they reaped. Amazing, I know.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Who is that dickhead and why isn't he being harassed every day of his life for being anti-lunches for children?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I watched that Renegade Cuts video and it was excellent. Looks like it hit a nerve for just the right people.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Jose posted:

This entire terrible song but particularly because of who is singing it

https://twitter.com/ZeroSuitCamus/status/1650715218845073408?t=V0EspVWEf_TtMYTwlCZwfw&s=19

I'm not usually one to throw around the term "soy", but....this guy is pretty soy.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Everything about higher ed is hosed up: forcing students to go into debt to afford it, getting soaked on textbook costs, and the beep-bloop "what's the cost analysis of this degree's usefulness?" bullshit. College should be free for everyone and pursued as a means to actually learn rather than simply being a hurdle that you need to cross in order to (maybe) get a job. But capitalism can't exist without exploiting an underclass, so here we are.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

No, they 100% believe this poo poo, even if they're also trying to get a rise out of her. More than once I've argued for universal health care to have a fuckwit tell me that this means putting doctors and nurses "in slavery" because "then they'll be forced to treat people without pay".

It's a successful argument in the sense that it's so breathtakingly stupid that you're taken aback when a grown adult honestly believes that stuff.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

spacemang_spliff posted:

i've never heard an explanation from libertarians but do they think that public defenders are slaves

Probably. If you're not being paid, it's slavery. I'd bet they'd have zero issue with something like unpaid internships, though.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

This is far more potent succ than even Will Stancil's whiny bleating. Dear god in heaven.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I kinda love it when liberals discover something for the first time that leftists have known for ages. The naivete is almost cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Slam a pope and antipope together and you'll get a tremendous explosion.