Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zore posted:

Real talk, there are a lot of things across all the reviews that give me a lot of pause. Like 1 item/unit seems like a really weird choice. Or fixed accuracy for spells. Or terrain with +60 goddamn avoid. Female units lacking tier 3 classes. The fatigue system. The maps. 1-5 range bows.

I do think the way mages work is cool though, and it would be neat to see that expanded on in a future FE title. Things that make characters non-homogeneous is always cool.

Doesn't Faye have tier 3 or even tier 4 classes? From what I understand most of the female characters are just mages pegasus knights or pre-premotes and the former 2 don't have as many class changes. Even for like male mages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

The male classes are:
Mage (2 tiers)
Cavalier (3 tiers)
Soldier (3 tiers)
Archer (3 tiers)

The female classes are:
Mage (2 tiers)
Cleric (2 tiers)
Pegasus Knight (2 tiers)
Cavalier (3 tiers)

The female-exclusive classes are both two tiers and the male-exclusive classes are both three tiers, but the shares classes split the difference.

Ah got it. Guess I never put together that the exclusive classes were all 2 tier or 3 tier.

On that topic though, I know mage and cleric are pretty unique classes since they learn new spells and such at certain levels does Pegasus Knight have anything similarly unique to it since it's also 2 tiers, or is it just that it's the only class that can fly and that's pretty darn useful.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

The closest thing is a free dlc item that lets you turn anyone into a villager, where they naturally can then promote into any class. I didn't mess with it but I could see a couple characters doing decently in different classes, like Boey as a physical class.

My plan for an entirely mage army gets more plausible by the minute.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

i dont think you understand that you're going to have like fourteen mages by the end of the game anyway. there is no secret trick to having an all-mage army, that's just fire emblem gaiden.

I heard you can deploy your entire army for most maps, so an item which can turn the non-mages of the army into mages sounds very useful to me.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I wish everyone luck in trying to kiss all the boys and/or girls in this game.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

this game's writing has some slight quibbles (there's some go nowhere sideplots, a couple of characters are pretty dull, for some reason every single character in the game has some kind of unrequited love) but it's it's a hell of a lot better than fates, and more focused and streamlined than awakening. helps that the TL is the best of the three.

Has the English script been leaked then? I remember hearing a few of the supports have started showing up online, but is enough of the full script out there to be talking about overall translation quality.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tae posted:

The entire game is online already.

Huh, thought that was only the Japanese version. Glad to hear the translation is good though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm mad that Australians need to wait another day.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

RME posted:

my units really love to crit when i try and setup kills
6% seem way more accurate in this game, while 80% hits can sometimes feel almost like a coin toss. Wonder if the algorithm was changed or something.

Anyway, I got this game today and played through Act 1. It's good and I like it a lot! Act 1 kinda feels like just a prologue, but it was fun and I like most of the new mechanics. Also, all the characters are cool and get base conversations. Many even get to exist in cutscenes and the story so that's really good and great! Honestly, the story's felt pretty decent so far as well beyond how silly it feels for Alm to just be invited to become rebel leader. Only problem is how the maps either feel super open or utterly claustrophobic.

Also, the Lightning Sword is maybe too good. But there were points in the game where I think I might not have really been able to get through without a second unit that targets Res. And I can't be too mad at it because it is making my favourite dude Gray even cooler, even if his attack stat is almost catching up to it's base.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zombie dragons are scary.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Is Boey just real bad or am I getting a case of the ol' bad RNG.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

he's got pretty terrible speed and a low speed base. he does give hit in all his supports though. pretty much the only way to make good use of him is to feed him the speed well at the start of celica's route.

Well alas, that chance has passed. Though he's really been the only character not pulling his weight across both parties. Which is pretty solid honestly.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tae posted:

Boey is good by virtue of being a mage. Ignoring terrain and hitting from 3 range is always better than sword user #4.

If Saber keeps hitting his speed and strength growths I don't think this is true.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tae posted:

But they're happy as hell when they get a 2 statter? I don't get it.

Because 1 stat is below the norm but 2 or above is good!

Also about Saber, it's weird to say he's supposed to tank considering mine has not hit a single defence growth but has been getting strength and speed nearly every level. What a powerful and handsome man.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pastrymancy posted:

What's the difference between using the wheel and restarting?

Also my lukas and Clair won't gain support points when they're next to each other. Am I missing something?

Some characters get passive bonuses from being near each other but they don't have a support and don't get support points. Lukas and Clair are like that. Same with Alm and all his villager pals outside of Faye.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I've been getting a lot of Shadow Dragon-esque level ups lately. Is it bad luck or are growth rates that bad?

Growth rates are low and a level of just attack or speed is honestly pretty drat sweet. Alm and Celica are the main exceptions.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

tell that to my celica who's only gotten 1 and 2 stat levels

:rip:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Enemies having anti-flier skills is great because they prioritise fliers over other units with much less defence, and so Faye can just tank them all day while squishier units avoid hits from like 5 squares away.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

also one neat feature that most people iwll probably miss is the death post-battle lines. basically if you let a unit die a unit related to them will comment on it after the battle.

like if you let python die Forsythe will go "Oh, for pete's sake Python, get up. The battle's won. ... Python?"

Dang. That's rough. :smith:

Also unrelated to that, gently caress THIS DESERT!!!!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

hopeandjoy posted:

I feel like this desert is worse than other FE deserts.

Because Ceclia can only move one space at a time orz

It is worse, by like a lot.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Agean90 posted:

I think its because faye literally baths in the blood of alms foes.

Well Mathilda does the same for Clive and nobody calls her creepy!

Mathilda and Clive have some really good supports.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

mathilda is my favorite fe character now

1) insanely good gameplay wise
2) fun supports
3) older lady with hype baps

She has more than 1 support!?

Also she hasn't turned out insanely good for me. Pretty good and the high base res is real nice, but not fantastic.

W.T. Fits posted:

It might be that.

Like, so far, all I've seen from her support wise are her C support with Alm (where she cheerfully asks him to point her at his enemies so she can murder them for him), and her C and B supports with Silque, which boil down to, "Leave me alone, I don't want to be friends with you, all I care about is Alm."

Tharja, despite her own obsession, had other aspects to her character, and was actually a decent person behind her creepy grim dark mage facade.

I'm afraid one of these days Clair is going to wake up bound and gagged with Faye standing over her, knife in hand, ready for a long discussion about how she needs to stay away from Alm. :ohdear:

Faye's creepiness is because she's legitimately super polite and kind most of the time, and then she's also got that complete obsession on Alm. So I can't imagine she'd actually hurt anyone over him. Even in her Silque supports she basically tries to let her down gently about being friends.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

'turnout?' give her the ridersbane and she onerounds 80% of chapter 3, who needs growths or defense

I gave Ridersbane to Clair.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

marshmallow creep posted:

Missed opportunity to make one of the pegs gay for Celica.

Would it be Catria again?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Is it just me or are the Celica route maps far and away harder than Alm's? Or are my experiences coloured by that drat desert and the constant Cantors.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

celica had a map with like 9 witches and then an entire other inner section, that map kicked my rear end

and now jedah is just straight murdering me

yeah i think her route is harder but who knows what the rest of chapter 4 has in store for alm

I ain't even in chapter 4 yet, but some of Celica's act 3 maps were rough.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zore posted:

Celica gets better units than Alm as a rule which helps. The Whitewings absolutely all clown on Clair, she gets multiple good mages, Genny gets a summon super early to abuse the AI.

And Celica is better than Alm by virtue of having similar growths and stats plus a ridiculously good spell list. Also a fuckton of Dread Fighters. And a better selection of weapons at all points.

Alm meanwhile gets stuck with all the deliverance chucklefucks like Python, Forsythe, etc who are mediocre and a bunch of growth units who won't turn out as well on average as people Celica gets who are super strong.

Hell even after Alm gets Methilda, the strongest recruit he gets at base to that point, Celica immediately one ups him and gets a stronger cav. Its a little nuts.

My weak links on Celica's team would be super stars on Alm's. I have two mages running around with 20/20 mag/speed on hers with a ring that increases magic range by 2 while loving Kliff at the same level is trudging along with like 12/12.

I am definitely not getting as good a use out of the Whitewings as others seem to be. They're good but not spectacular.

Also, I gave Forsythe a Shield so now he takes no damage from non-mages and Python fills the important Sniper role of standing 4 squares away and htting mages before they do anything.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

Watch out for the random map skirmishes. If one of them moves onto the same square as you, you get immediately kicked into a battle, it starts on Enemy Phase, and you have no chance to change your formation! :gonk:

Somewhat related I hate Arcanists. And witches. Why is it that sometimes when I attack an Arcanist, it can counterattack and sometimes I get two attacks in a row? Their tomes all say range 1-whatever.

It might not have the hp to do an attack.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

supports are kinda tacked on but there are some good bits to them, like leon's.

I'd say around half are good, and the others at worst are just kinda there.

Good Supports:
Both of Gray's
Both of Leon's
Celica/Mae
Clive/Mathilda
Genny/Sonya
Luthier/Delthea
Forsyth/Python
And probably some of the others I've forgotten or haven't seen yet.

Tae posted:

Eh, supports themselves seem that way but between base conversations, banter during battle, and general way more cutscene time, they are equal for me.

I mean, Tobin and Gray are STILL relevant and active in story cutscenes in chapter 4! That's goddamn amazing.

I'm really happy base conversations are back but I do think it's super weird how they're kinda random, and it can cause some issues with other parts of the writing. Like, Gray gets a conversation about speaking to Clair that doesn't really fit after his and Clair's B rank and some other small instances like that, but it's pretty minor though. Hopefully they keep the system and refine it for future games.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zore posted:

There are good supports, but honestly they're almost all super short and don't reveal anything new about the character. Faye's are all 'I sure am incredibly obsessed with Alm' stretched out over both her supports and the majority of her base conversations. Or the Whitewings which are literally all 'hey, here's our dynamic' stretched out.

I dunno, but the only supports I've really liked have been Clive/Mathilda, Grey/Clair and Leon/Kamui. Where they actually bounce off each other and show us new things. Most of the others range from inoffensive to actively feeling like pointless filler.

I kinda like Faye and Silque's. The first two ranks are basically the same but there sorta seems to be a point to it, and in the A rank Faye barely even talks about Alm!

It's no Kliff/Tobin.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

theshim posted:

guys Gray and Mae are fantastic

that is all

You're right.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

my favorite animation is how some units dodge and counter in one smooth motion.

The dodges might be the best animation in the game. They're super smooth.

Also, wow. The Nuibaba map took a very long time.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

She kidnapped all the Peddlers!!! I thought they were just supposed to appear later in Alm's route or something.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Terper posted:

Warp + Double Lion + Rescue

Rinse and repeat

I didn't have anyone with rescue so I slowly sniped all the mages to death until I felt safe enough to have Gray run in and kill Nuibaba. And then I learnt Medusa's damage is also halved by the Dread Fighter passive and I realised I probably could have sent him in much earlier.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like the everyone deploys thing because it's forcing me to find niches for units who are underperforming or outclassed and it's actually pretty fun.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I still find use for Knights in delaying pushes from physical units or summoned terrors so the rest of the army could deal with more important things. They don't deal any damage but they don't take any either so they do a fine job at keeping enemies at bay.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

W.T. Fits posted:

Given that I was basically only doing chip damage to it throughout most of the fight, I get the impression that you're not supposed to try and take on the necrodragon at the sea shrine the moment you have a clear path to it.

I mean, I still kicked it's rear end, but I basically got lucky with my positioning and eventually managed to pin it down to where Leon and my mages could potshot it to death.

If Celica is level 5 she gets a super effective spell that deals like 30 damage to it, and it's not too hard for her to have it by then. Genny gets Invoke around the same level too which trivialises it pretty decently as well.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I would never not deploy any of my Echoes friends.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

To be an extra archer and archers are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They're the only units that counter 3 range mages and assassinate bothersome cantors (not all of them but enough).

• Locked thread