Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

It's already May again? Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Tips for new players:

- Samurais suck real bad, use the Job Fair to get rid of them
- Always make sure to visit Phoenix Tower
- Choose the Flame over the Aegis Shield

Have I missed anything important?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

NGDBSS posted:

...I assume you're joking on all counts?

"Samurai is bad" was an actual argument that caused a page-long discussion in the last iteration of this thread, though to be fair, it was less "this class is horrible" and more "this class isn't as good as most people make it out to be". Flame vs. Aegis Shield and Phoenix Tower yes/no also resulted in some heated debates in previous years, though I don't remember the exact details.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I've always felt the Fiesta mod actually made the game harder. Fighting Garula or Byblos with four Freelancers is much less tedious than doing the same with Four Bards who've got no access to songs yet.

It does allow for some unconventional strategies, though. Like instantly killing Liquid Flame with a Beastmaster by releasing a Mani Wizard.

Archenteron posted:

Wasn't there two competing goon bonus challenges, one for Knights with the full powered Brave Sword, and a contrarian one that was for Knights with full powered Chicken Knives

There were, yeah. IIRC, both maxed out their donations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

That does make me wonder something. Since RK mentioned he doesn't like the Fiesta mod, how is Chaos supposed to work if your first job is from the Earth Crystal, but subsequent ones aren't. Say you get Samurai/Black Mage. Are you supposed to make everyone a Black Mage at the Water Crystal? Or at the Wind Crystal? Or go with a mix of Freelancers and Black Mages? Or not use the Black Mage at all until you've unlocked Samurai?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Mega64 posted:

Having all jobs unlocked at the start isn't really as game-breaking at it seems, especially since the game doesn't expect those jobs to be around. Bards are useless, Chemists take awhile to get their usual broken selves due to item placement, Dragoons are meh without spears (and meh with), etc.

I think the only two classes that heavily break the early game are Beastmaster and Samurai. The former because most bosses in World 1 aren't immune to the shenanigans they can pull off with Release, and the latter because of the way Zeninage's scaling works.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Novasol posted:

Last year, I had Ninja, Beastmaster, Samurai, and Black Mage. Everything died super fast, but I had to have Flame Rings to reliably heal myself.

With that team, who needs healing?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Mountaineer posted:

Is there any compelling reason to stick with the GBA version?

Being able to run without a Thief, the !Calm glitch, which allows you to easily beat Omega with a Beastmaster, the removed dummy targets in the Neo Exdeath fight, and the Quicksave feature, which can be used to force rare encounters (though I believe that only works on the NA version).

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Except for that one ability, Red Mage is so bad in this game. The cutoff for what they can learn is way too harsh.

Red Mages get access to nearly every status effect, which is valuable in a game where most bosses are vulnerable to at least one. Their big issue is that they don't offer much for the very end of the game, but that goes for a few other classes as well.

Mega64 posted:

I think Geo/Ninja would be nice since it lets Geo's high magic score shine for once with !Throw.

You'll miss out on elemental boosts for most of the game, though.

Archenteron posted:

As originally written, it looks like four of the five can also cheese Shinryu, but the last party can't

Any team with at least one character capable of equipping a staff or rod can cheese Shinryu, so that's not a big issue.

Edit: Oh, you meant KataraniSword's class list? Yeah, that'd be a bit of a nuisance.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 26, 2017

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Why not put Monk and Time Mage in group 4, replacing Geomancer and Thief respectively? The other teams don't really need them and they synergise really nicely with each other and Chemist.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

Then group 1 loses the easy Omega kill. Granted, it's still possible, in the sense that it's possible to still have a hand left after sticking it into a running garbage disposal.

Fair point, although quickleaking Omega isn't very interesting either. Maybe just the let poor guy live for once.

KataraniSword posted:

Monk also synergizes better with Bard than Time Mage, I feel.

I agree, but Chemist and Monk is like a match made in heaven. Nothing saves the class quite as much as !Drink does.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Always take the Brave Blade because hitting for ~4000 damage on a normal attack is hilarious. Also because it makes some people really mad.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Mega64 posted:

If you go Brave Blade I loving swear I'll stick an all-Geomancer party on you, don't make me do it I'm serious.

What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of this quad-Thief party.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Brave Blade Goblin Punching is pretty fun as well.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

So #regpopular is basically Chaos except you're almost guaranteed to get good jobs? Sounds nice if you want to have an easy, relaxing run.

Not sure about #fifthjob if it always replaces your Earth slot, though. Chemist and Dancer tend to become more powerful as the game goes along, and Samurai is nice to have near the end as well. It'd be better if you could use it to get rid of a class like Monk or Red Mage that shines in the first half but peters out in the second.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Detheros posted:

Gimme a geomancer without any passives over a Red Mage imo.

I guess I can see that if you treat the Ronka Ruins as the final dungeon.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Yeah, a normal run is nice because you rarely get completely carried, but you almost never get a truly horrible team either. Like, absolute worst case is probably Monk/Berserker/Geomancer/Dragoon, and not only is that team still better than some of the possible Chaos compositions, the chance of actually rolling it is super small.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

On the one hand, basically zero. On the other, the counterfeits are so good you can't tell except that they can't Quicksave.

I'm reasonably sure that my GBA cartridge is a bootleg, but oddly enough, the Quicksave feature still works. Guess I got the high-quality ripoff. :smug:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

Thief (or Monk)/Red Mage/Geomancer/Dancer.

I'd rather have a Red Mage than Berserker, but I think we already had the same discussion in the last thread and agreed to disagree. :v:

Dancer vs. Dragoon is kind of a toss-up. Dancer is more fragile, but at least it gets some actual offence once you reach world 3. Dragoon is just disappointing throughout. Plus, several members of this team would actually like Equip Ribbons, while no one gets much out of !Lance.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Can you even get more than one Berserker if you're not playing Chaos? I honestly can't remember.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

And, as has been mentioned, there are some team compositions for which it's actually impossible to beat the game on the Steam/mobile versions simply because of these awful changes.

Which ones?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

It warms my heart to see so many first-time players in here. You're in for a treat.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

White Mage/Berserker/Beastmaster/Dragoon sounds like a really boring team to play, honestly. Not hard (you've got White Mage after all), just uninteresting because of the lack of synergies.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I'm kind of glad the FFXII team wasn't in charge of this game. Imagine Omega with a million hitpoints.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Probably hard to get people invested in voting when nothing short of a thousand dollar donation will tip the scales.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Would it be against the rules to make a save file just before heading into the canal to speed things up? I imagine most people will be doing this.

The only real downside is that you won't be able to give Bartz a new silly name on every run.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Raerlynn posted:

If the silence effect misses, which it will since it's a cast effect, the melee attack triggers the reset script.

The trick is wearing a Reflect Ring and attacking yourself so only the Silence effect targets Omniscient. Rather annoying due to his innate Shell status, but still better than running him out of MP.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

You had White Mage but never finished the final dungeon? What made you give up? Boredom?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Mega64 posted:

Kyro typed one up for each boss.

As you may expect, lots of bears.

Forza dropping the whip? I always knew Kyro was the real author of the Bare Only FAQ.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Bregor posted:

There are only two releases in W1, your instant death/banish of choice, and BEARAGA

The one good thing about a Berserker/Beastmaster team is that it can capture a Prototype without too much trouble.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

The Sealed Temple is pretty much the antithesis of the Four Job Fiesta concept. The whole area is designed around the idea that you'll have mastered multiple jobs and figured out how to combine their abilities to create a truly overpowered team. Mad props to the person who pulled it off a few years ago.

Also, that's a quality post, alcharagia.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Mikl posted:

:toxx: I'll be watering the Berserker tree at the tune of $10 for each goon-completed run using The Run's jobs, between them being officially announced and The Run starting. (Once per goon, no total upper limit) :toxx:

Get those runs in :getin:

(Sorry about the terrible screenshot. I was starting to doze off at this point and almost missed it completely.)

And since the donation incentive for all four tablets had been met:

Overall, as expected: not a difficult run but an annoying one. I didn't bother with catching monsters most of the time, so fights were usually won by outlasting the enemy through !White.

I'm definitely curious to see what the runners will make of this team, since it seems like the fastest strategies are frequently RNG-reliant.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

You can also silence them, preventing the Arise counter. That lets you kill two Purobolos with each use of !Control.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Hrmmm, what's the strategy for beating the Byurobolos with this run setup? I'm guessing something the beastmaster can catch? It would have to one-shot them all at once, though, right?

edit: to clarify since god knows what the hell all the versions of this game translated the name as, I'm talking about those six gray bombs you fight at the meteorite.

A few options:

1. Release a Prototype for Megaflare, doing ~1000 damage to every bomb at once. From there on out, it's relatively easy to whittle them down to little HP, letting them harmlessly explode.
2. Control them for Self-Destruct.
3. Silence + Death Sickle
4. Jump at the exact time they act, ensuring that at least one party member will always surive.
5. Hope no more than two bombs explode at the same time and keep reviving the other party members.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, I never caught (:haw:) how he goes about snagging one, but it's a really interesting thing to consider.

IIRC, by controlling the Cactus' that accompany it and spamming 1000 Needles. He might have found a better strat by now, though.

The most interesting trick I've seen so far is releasing an Aegir for Rainbow Wind in the Archeoaevis fight. If his first form is killed by Sap, the other forms won't appear and you instantly win. Not all that important for a normal run because the fight is easy with White Mage but a cool speed tactic.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Last year's run was around 7 to 8 hours, and with this year's job selection, it'll likely take considerably longer. They have to start early if they want to finish at a reasonable time.

Plus, the Europeans probably aren't too unhappy about not having to stay up all night.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Feldegast42 posted:

I ended up with Blue Mage / Time Mage / Bard / Chemist. (Yeah I know I technically need Thief and Beastmaster for the temple but I'll temp sub in their skills when necessary). Goal is to also triple crown "legitly" (which means no berserk / quick leak / lvl 5 death shenanigans). I'll still start a run and job fair to that team so at least some money goes to a good place.

I'll throw in $5 if you kill Omega with Goblin Punch.

KataraniSword posted:

If !Mix is legal, I don't see why Berserk shouldn't be. It's a valid strategy that the game legitimately intends you to use on Shinryu, unlike other bosses - most bosses have an immunity of it that you'd have to use !Mix to bypass, but Shin does not.

That's like saying "I want to defeat Omega without using !Sing" when that's more or less the intended method.

Leaving aside the legitimacy argument, I can see where Feldegast is coming from. Using !Mix defensively still requires you to understand Shinryu's attack routine, while Berserk completely undermines the fight's fairly sophisticated mechanics. Neither approach is particularly difficult, but the former is a lot more interesting.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

I am sad that I've never actually done this.

Might as well make it an official offer.

:toxx: I pledge $5 for every player who kills Omega using Goblin Punch. No upper limit.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Didn't the runners already agree that they would all go for Omega and Shinryu anyway?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Is it true that combat speed doesn't affect your party, so always put it on 6?

Sort of. Whenever a character's turn comes up, there's a small amount of time during which no one's ATB advances, including the enemy's, essentially pausing the game for you to select commands. Battle Speed affects the duration of that pause, so lowering it gives you more time to make a decision before combat resumes.

There's no real reason not to set it low unless you want to make the game a bit more difficult, but there's also no real discernible difference between the default (which I think is 3) and 6 unless you've set the ATB to 'Active', since 'Wait' pauses whenever you're in a menu anyway.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jun 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Out of curiosity, is the iOS port closer to the SNES version or the GBA version with stuff like Omega being calm-able, etc.?

It uses the GBA release as base but fixes the bugs that were introduced in that version (including being able to calm Omega), so a mixture of both really. It also makes a few gameplay changes of its own, mostly related to Berserkers and Chemists.

• Locked thread