Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

teagone posted:

[edit] Also, tbh I'd think Zack Snyder would be more involved with the production of a movie than Stan Lee would. Extending a producing/story credit to Lee on MCU films seems more like a courtesy really.

Yeah it doesn't surprise me that the dude who introduced the character in his film and is directing her in the third movie she will be in (second this year) would be at least marginally involved just for the sake of continuity.

Stan Lee gets a credit because he had a hand in creating most of the characters and is the face of Marvel and they want him to cameo in all the movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Can't remember but, is it said directly in BvS (or I guess here) that WW "walked away from humanity" immediately after WW1? Maybe she stuck around to try to help rebuild then when it was obvious that even without Ares the world still birthed fascism and even more war so she left around/before WW2*?

* christ this is potentially confusing haha

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

So she'd see the Nazis surface and walk away before punching any of them in the face? that would be very weak.

Ah yeah that's true, it's just dumb that she just randomly leaves after seeing heroism in war then.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bar Crow posted:

It usually means an action scene with no tension and poorly used CGI.

I would be fine with this except the fight against the Chitauri in Avengers 1 has this written all over it and notarized. Hell, most super hero flicks can be argued to have this to a large extent -- we know the hero is going to win with minimal personal loss and CG is used for 99% of special effects (including the movement of anyone in a full body suit) these days. It's just for some reason there's some movies that get a big pass and others that get poo poo on extra to balance things out.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bar Crow posted:

The point is to unpack people's impressions and not argue more movies into the box. If the audience is still engaged at some level then they don't feel this way. I've never seen any of the Avengers movies though.

Yeah that's fair, bringing up another movie doesn't really invalidate the point. I just feel like it is a bit of a hollow insult based on the current super hero movie standard. I am struggling to think of an action sequence/fight that doesn't have those explicit problems, "bad CG" being super relative

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yea I also hope super hero movies become super predictable and one note and never again try to do anything interesting for some unfathomably dumb reason

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Marvel makes hundred million dollar super hero blockbusters like this

DC makes hundred million dollar super hero blockbusters like this

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It's barely even applicable to her situation it's a fictional sociopath's manipulative speech, it says more about his hosed up perspective than it does about Beatrix and certainly Superman

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

So your argument is that his review of MoS is dumb because it mischaracterizes the Superman from MoS as being non-alien but he clearly is alien as evidenced by other Superman stories but not MoS which is awful anyway

So an elaborate "Not My Superman"

Why not just say that poo poo in the first place?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

So Judakel are you planning to see the movie?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ape Agitator posted:

Man of Steel gets called dark because they take the bleakest interpretation of common Superman things when given the option... He leaves impact craters trying to jump, terrorizes flocks of animals just because...

That was all just by glancing at an image gallery from the movie. I'm sure there's more. If there's any joy in the movie, it was most likely brief and crushed right after by a following scene.

It's a dark, dark super hero movie without even touching on the collateral damage portion or the washed out color. It's not ineffective in what it aims for though, which I think is why those who like it really like it. But I'd challenge anyone who doesn't think it's a dark film.

Lol you are a lunatic

This isn't the movie "tak(ing) the bleakest interpretation" of everything, you are doing that all on your own. Half the stuff you describe is so mundane it's not worth mentioning (like seriously, the bad guy threatening people??) and a bunch of other stuff is part of Superman's normal story (complaining about Krypton being destroyed? I hate to tell you what happens to Spider-Man's uncle)

--

Saw the actual movie this thread is about earlier today. Liked it a lot but still thinking through a bunch of it. Really confused by the "they didn't use WW1 correctly" criticisms since I felt it was at least as well integrated as Captain America, and not significantly more sanitized. Wished there was more Etta Candy and while I don't necessarily agree with the idea that Act 3 was weaker than the previous too, I wish they could have squeezed in more of the good parts of Act 2 (mostly involved the fish out of water and supporting character interactions)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

I think I'd draw the line at the "destroying mountain tops" part somehow indicating the film's propensity for darkness and cynicism, though. In complete seriousness: no one cares about some rando mountain in Antarctica. Clark loving up some arbitrary landscapes as he tests his flight for the first time doesn't really come across as "violence" to me as it does "inexperience," especially when it's sandwiched between the rest of that uplifting scene. Also, it was kinda funny.

It's a symptom of this whole sickness though. We've seen what we think is decay beneath the surface so now we have to dig to find every possible trace of it. But no it's the movie's fault that we're all of a sudden worried about mountains being damage or gazelles being startled :rolleyes:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Judakel posted:

Simply because something is "so mundane" that you ignore it, does not mean careful observers should ignore it.

You're absolutely right, the movie actually is darker because superman breaks a chunk off a mountain :jerkbag:

Maybe Tony Stark had his robot butler buy the mountain off screen just before Supes wrecked it. That would make things better

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

notthegoatseguy posted:

DC still gotta DC, yo.

I mean, this isn't just a "DC" thing. Marvel pushed Edgar Wright out over similar issues of control, and Jenkins herself had been dropped from Thor 2 -- turns out they were wrong and she was the significantly better choice to direct a mythology based super hero.

That being said the people who wanted it gone in the first place are morons and hopefully lose some influence. It's just ironic to say "DC is so stupid that almost* took creative control from a director who Marvel poo poo all over".

*but ultimately didn't

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

notthegoatseguy posted:

I think Ant-Man was still very much an Edgar Wright film. Admittedly it could be because it was so far along and practically right before shooting maybe they didn't have a choice. And yeah Jenkins may have been a good fit for Thor 2...but at least it meant we got less Portman? I like Portman as an actor but she's just kind of there in both Thor films.

Oh yeah I agree 100% (with the caveat that Portman being "just kinda there" might've been fixed if Jenkins had stayed on) just pointing out that it happens everywhere. Executives do dumb rear end poo poo all the time in the name of what they think will work. Marvel has the advantage in the Feige seems to have his finger on the pulse in ways that other film studios don't, but there's still bad decisions to be made all around, and I usually side with the artist. It's just super rare we get to see such a direct and unambiguous example in the form of a scene they didn't want but did get shot and was amazing (at least with the decisions I criticized for Marvel, they're "what-if" scenarios that can't really be proven).

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

teagone posted:

The Native American dude and the German soldier hugging it out at the end came off more like them non-verbally acknowledging that the situation they were both in earlier was hosed and they're grateful to be alive. What more can you do in that kind of scenario than open your arms to another human being.

Yeah I kinda interpreted it in a similar way although I do think it was still intended to hint at the popular interpretation. But like really, wtf were those guys supposed to do? Get up and start fist fighting?

Also I noticed people waving the modern German flag in the celebration scene at the end, but it turns out that post-war is when that flag was adopted, which is pretty cool.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

Then they got several lines in the movie wrong.

This sounds highly suspect. Which lines? Aside from the ones where her mother has specifically lied to hide her origins from her.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I liked the movie a lot and agree it's not on the level of like "classic movies" which is why numerically rating movies is the dumbest loving thing ever. It's even dumber to use an RT score as a numerical rating, which it most definitely is not, but you shouldn't even be doing the bad thing of "this movie is an 8/10 and therefore this other movie which is significantly different in all aspects but objectively 'worse' cannot be more than 7.5/10" in the first place

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

SleepCousinDeath posted:

I can't imagine watching Man of Steel and thinking any of the action is bad. It looks good even when it's a lovely GIF.

Yeah sorry, if this is bad action and the worst Snyder has done it says some awful poo poo about the current state of comic book movies, because it is among the best of the current bunch.

And while I get the point about context, I think we can hope for well shot and executed scenes that are also telling good stories (which I believe the Snyder scenes are but I guess ymmv)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

It's just so... boring. So generic. So unengaging. Completely uninspired. Totally amateurish. Entirely humdrum. Just boilerplate. Simply d(continues for several hours)

The "CGI NightmareTM" thing also roughly describes 90+% of all super hero films. Heroes fight villains, one or both are CG or else/also there is heavy use of CG in creating the effects, movie ends. I was going to start listing the Marvel/Sony/Fox examples but stopped at like 10 in a row. I don't understand singling out DC movies except that of course we have to, and some vague thing about "caring about the characters" negating the fact that the exact complaints happen everywhere.

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 12, 2017

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BobKnob posted:

Looking forward to Captain Marvel.

Yeah I can't wait for Marvel's first woman super hero after like 10 years either

EDIT: wait did you mean Captain Marvel as in Shazam?? Maybe I was being pointlessly bitchy

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 13, 2017

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

teagone posted:

I'm guessing MCU Captain Marvel.

I've been reading Captain Marvel comics since the announcement of Brie Larson being cast, and was super excited to get into her books at the recommendation of some goons. But thus far my overall impression of the character has been lukewarm. Not a huge fan of the writing, but the art is alright. The character just doesn't affect me like Wonder Woman does. Brie Larson though :allears: Hope the film presents Captain Marvel in a more compelling way.

I actually am looking forward to Captain Marvel too although I hope they factor in Ms. Marvel Kamala Khan in some way (they won't)

But read Ms. Marvel instead

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BobKnob posted:

I do mean MCU Captain Marvel. You are right. Marvel is late with a standalone female lead movie. At least Scarlett Johansson can act. At least Zoe Saldana can act. At least Brie Larson can act. The Marvel heroines weren't just chosen for their ability to look good on posters. I am actually looking forward to a GOOD female led superhero movie rather than just a meh one.

Yeah Marvel's done pretty good so far with their leather fetish fantasy heroine :jerkbag:

Genuinely sorry to everyone else that I responded to this poster's transparent bait, bringing up Marvel apropos of nothing to go on this dumb little tangent

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

And then she got turned into Marvel's #2 fascist so that put a bit of a damper on things.

Yeah that was an admittedly weird move prior to her movie debut. But hell I guess it worked for MCU Iron Man after Civil War 1?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BobKnob posted:

I don't really care personally, but people are acting like DC's poo poo all of a sudden doesn't stink and that they are a shining light of feminism.

Nobody is doing this, and you obviously do care since you came in here to drum up some tired rear end Marvel vs DC poo poo. Ho hum.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sorry maybe I was being overly harsh but I really don't buy that bringing up a Marvel film apropos of nothing wasn't just your garden variety "Marvel is going to do it better" bait. Also pointing out that Marvel hasn't gotten it right isn't anywhere close to "DC's poo poo doesn't stink".

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

This is the weirdest argument because I vehemently disagree with 50% of each posters points and they're both being so obnoxious that I want to jump in but I don't know whose side to take

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Phylodox posted:

Just ask yourself if your life will be in any way improved by participating in that argument.

The answer will reveal itself.

You always have my back Phylo

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm not exactly sure what Tenzarin meant ....

Here let me help. It meant exactly this:

DeimosRising posted:

He thinks because he didn't like Beavis and it got slammed by critics that it didn't make a lot of money. However, it did

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

Aaaaand another thread rendered unreadable by patented CineD bullshit.

"Unreadable"? It's not a magazine it's a discussion forum. If you don't like what you're reading discuss some new stuff. At this point the movie has been released and there is no sequel immediately in the works so mostly people are going to analyze.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Some people are good at it and aren't super smug and off putting.

Ughhhhhhhh

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Well like someone pointed out, the one time she's "murdering" soldiers is when she is trying to liberate a town of actual innocents (i.e. noncombatants). She is also fighting against the side that invaded her land and killed her aunt, so while it is weird to maintain a lofty goal after that I don't think it's completely insane. She comes from a warrior culture and she is defending herself.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

Truth hurts

lol I don't really care if it's "true"(??) that SMg (or I guess anyone else who CP was slyly referring to) is "smug and offputting". I am more reacting to the incessant whining about smugness. Which yeah the truth of people whining about it does hurt me deep in my soul, so good observation

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Throwdown posted:

Finally saw this, did the studio big wigs really want the no man's land scene cut? What the gently caress...

Yeah this is still unfathomable in the extreme. I can only hope/assume that we only hear about their really dumb suggestions/restrictions and there is obviously a ton of really smart and good studio input, because holy hell when you hear poo poo like this you just want to fire everyone and burn the rubble

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The weird thing about the "why don't they just shoot her in the exposed legs? why didn't they shoot at the dudes running by?" question is that it's not like an RTS where these dudes in the trenches have 360 degree awareness of the battlefield. It was probably a sequence of events like:

1. look at this lunatic crossing the field, let's shoot her
2. what the hell, why isn't she falling? shoot her more!
3. *a bunch of bullets and noise and sparks and dust and the chaos of people freaking out at the weird rear end poo poo that's happening*
4. Some dudes have now shown up and are killing us

Like I can't remember if we see the perspective of the machine gunners but I'd imagine they see a figure in the distance and then vaguely see it standing through a hail of bullets and dust, I don't know that they could've just been like "oh she clearly has a magical shield but her knees are exposed!" from their vantage point.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I just realized Wonder Woman would be better if she forged her own armor, since you already have the Captain America (hero joining a World War) and Thor (fish out of water mythological god) angles, and if she made her own armor she would have the hat trick with Iron Man parallels.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

The movie did have a super hero who forged his own armor!

Wonder Woman kills him.

poo poo and he's also a mustachioed war profiteer who is inventing weapons of mass destruction :stare:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I mean I am obv a fan of the DC movies but lmao that WB finally gets a financially and critically successful super hero movie and their egos go into the loving stratosphere

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Maybe someone can disagree with you that something is good or thematically appropriate without being stupid?

I actually agree with your reading, for the record, and I thought it was a good decision, but it's so tiresome how people who claim to want a variety of readings always retreat back to "you don't support my reading you must be stupid!!"

I don't disagree with this sentiment necessarily, but I think the context of how this got started is important. Namely, Kawabata appealing to the authority of "most critics and audience" thinking a part of a movie is bad. It's just as tiresome when the "most people agree with me that [this movie] is [good/bad]" card gets played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

Suicide Squad won two Oscars.

Wait, what was the second?

• Locked thread