Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lurdiak posted:

I enjoy good movies.

I'm not certain the evidence supports this assertion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Semper Fudge posted:

Frankly I'm disappointed that Raiders of the Lost Ark glossed over the whole Holocaust thing

I Get what you're saying and an adventure movie set in ww1 that doesn't touch on industrialized death is fine. Everyone likes Lawrence of Arabia. But theres a reason Gallipoli doesn't have the same tone. The disconnect is both doing that lighter adventure AND setting scenes in the trenches. Raiders (besides not being set during ww2 at all) doesn't have a subplot about Indy going to Stalingrad

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Randarkman posted:

Have you seen Lawrence of Arabia? A central part of that movie deals with the main character essentially being reduced to a murderous wreck by his experiences (amd what he thinks is his true nature - the comment about enjoying killing a man).

Yeah it's not the best example but it doesn't touch on the industrial nature of the European war at all. Compare how the battles are shot in Lawrence to the misty dreamscapes of the Eastern Front in Dr. Zhivago. But a better example would be The African Queen or Secret Agent, maybe. Not that they're light hearted but they do rousing adventure and just avoid the mechanized hell-scape of the front entirely.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Randarkman posted:

Well, touching on the European war wasn't the goal of that movie at all.

Yeah that's what I mean. It would be weird if it then had a handful of sanitized trench scenes. I do think it's pretty tasteless to have a war movie that's neither satirical nor serious, so you have to be pretty great so "tasteless" becomes a compliment. But that doesn't seem like what's going on with this movie anyway, which I haven't seen and now I'm way into the rabbit hole of speculative discussion

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

fadam posted:

Who is actually saying this lmao?

Zack Snyder is a bad director and every DC movie to date has been poo poo from my rear end but I've yet to see anyone psycho enough to be happy that Snyder has to take time off because his daughter committed suicide.

Stay away from reddit and twitter you sweet innocent child

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

There is no "we", pal

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Neo Rasa posted:

Fresh seems about right, not a particular great movie but good and fun to see once. I wasn't planning on catching it in theaters but from what everyone's said it's not like there's anything super awful about it, 97% seems fine.

I remember that weird petition from people that wanted Rotten Tomatoes to shut down because BvS not having a "high enough" rating on it or whatever as if RT personally reviews and rates the films. It was crazy to see how many people take Rotten Tomatoes very very very seriously without actually knowing how it works.

If anything it's crazier to take it seriously if you do know how it works

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

That is by a wide rear end, yawning gulf of a margin the lowest bar for "masterpiece" ever set

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Tenzarin posted:

Also what is her shield made out of that can take machine gun fire? Knights in armor couldn't even stop crossbows and her shield stops machineguns cause?

Knights in armor were limited by the thickness of metal a human body can support. She's super strong so if she's just lugging around a two inch thick hunk of steel smal arms fire isn't gonna do anything. Also it's probably Magic

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Brainiac Five posted:

No, I am saying that there's no "encouraging humanity's worst impulses" going on, because the entire point of the movie is that Ares doesn't have to do that, indeed he explicitly encourages their best impulses, like peacemaking, because he's convinced humanity is inherently brutal and violent and will refuse goodness when it is offered. If he were, in fact, actively encouraging them to do evil, there would be no ambiguity in the final parts of the movie, Dr. Poison would be purely a victim of external control and we would have no sympathy to Diana's desire to kill her, and (since Ares would clearly have to constantly push evil) the movie would end with humanity free from the desire to do violence.

I didn't respond to anything you said until you posted about how I was obviously in bad faith and stupid and whatnot, or if I did, I didn't pay any attention because your post didn't stand out at all.

Wrong. The movie ends with the nationalistic victory celebrations, and we know that a worse war, without any influence from Ares, is coming. The brief moment of reconciliation doesn't lead to any kind of spiritual redemption for humanity, and indeed Diana believes humanity is irredeemable until the events of Batman v. Superman.

How are you getting from "encouraging" someone to that someone being "external[ly] control[led]"? If these ideas were synonymous you wouldn't be posting anymore

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

If she weren't immune to bullets she'd just explode into a cloud of gore when walloped by doomsday or some flying debris. it's pointless to consider the physics of this poo poo because everything you're seeing is roughly equally impossible, inasmuch as there's no such thing as "more impossible"

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

NikkolasKing posted:

Here's something I don't understand. The movie wants moral complexity of some kind but then, why choose WW1? It's never been a subject of great interest to me but I thought the tragedy of the whole thing was because it was a giant clusterfuck of alliances and people in charge and then all the little folks got dragged into it.

The movie wants to juxtapose Wonder Woman's idealism with more realism. Killing Ares won't solve everything because People Are Bad All On Their Own. But this is provably false here. The Real Life Ares that caused WW1 are entirely to blame.

World War 1 is not a case of...I dunno what to call it. Grassroots activism is the positive so I guess call it grassroots violence. The kind of racial, ethnic, religious and class tensions that exist everywhere but are more obvious since the end of the Cold War. If the moral of the story is that people can be good and bad, maybe look at the people? WW1 is a story of people being puppeted around by what might as well be gods of war. If you want to highlight the banality of evil, maybe set it during a conflict that involves average folks being awful instead of average folks being sent off to fight and die for some aristocrats who, if they were removed, would have solved a lot of problems.

This movie was no Man of Steel. It's very simplistic and when it tried to do something more complex, it failed because it was very cheap and forced and lasted five minutes. It's a very "safe" movie with nothing to say. Just enjoy the action and cool music.

While the proximate cause of entry for many countries was the "web of alliances" those alliances existed for a reason and expressed latent and serious tensions that were coming to a head anyway. It was exactly the kind of national-ethnic-class tension you mention that led to the assassination of Ferdinand, France was seeking revenge for humiliation in the Franco Prussian war and to establish dominance over the Franco German border states/territories, the British were trying to nip a rival naval colonial power in the bud, the Germans were already seeking lebensraum as part of the long influential drang nach osten ideology (basically German manifest destiny) and so forth. Support for the war was generally quite strong at first and had a lot of deep seeded bases that weren't "well they say we gotta so we gotta", though obviously many people did feel that way or even more strongly antiwar even in the beginning.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

My problem with Wonder Woman is the thing I'm still thinking about is his how the heck history still happened roughly the same way if Ludendorff and Hindenberg are dead, which is a really lame takeaway.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I believe you'll find his parents were farmers

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

He thinks because he didn't like Beavis and it got slammed by critics that it didn't make a lot of money. However, it did

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

"Martha"

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Idahoant posted:

Wonder Woman passed the (domestic) gross of Batman v Superman as of yesterday.

Needs another 8 mil to catch it adjusted for inflation but that'll happen by the beginning of next week and possibly before the weekend

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Wrestling matches are done in a single take but no company in the world would present one in a single shot

You can certainly do this with a filmed fight scene or wrestling, but you need to take cues from ballet or Chinese opera and it requires a heavy and considered stylization

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Mr. Apollo posted:

I think you would have some extremist group come to power. The Treaty of Versailles, the Great Depression, and the sentiment that Jews had stabbed Germany in the back causing it to lose WW1 were all independent of those two. If it wasn't the Nazis it would have been someone else.

Thestab in the back was actually literally Ludendorff's idea and he was responsible for spreading it

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Autism Sneaks posted:

can we call out bad film directors/producers for advancing fascism without accusing one another of being Soviet apologists

If you could manage a coherent argument that Snyder is bad or the films are fascist apologia sure but as it stands your "call out" toothless and empty

And the Soviet Union was good, or at least better than what preceded and followed it

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

McSpanky posted:

Jesus loving Christ.

I've got ten million murdered Ukrainians on line one.

I'm not gonna sit here and defend Joseph Stalin or the end of the NEP those are bad things. But even the Kiev Court of Appeals, a somewhat biased source, pegged it at somewhat less than 4 million dead in the 30s famine and 6 million fewer births, a commonly used measure to inflate "casualties" under communist regimes when using demographic reconstruction to estimate death totals. That's still an awful number, but the causes of that famine, and of virtually all famines, are common to all centralized food distribution systems - for example, around half a million people died in the 1892 Volga famine, and not because inadequate calorie yields had been produced. Overall famine deaths relative to population were actually somewhat higher in the Russian Empire in the century prior to the Revolution than in the period of Soviet rule, discounting deaths under Nazi occupation. In the same period, a series of extremely similar famines were sweeping British India, resulting in at least 15 million deaths in areas directly ruled by the Empire and an unknown but probably roughly equal number in allied Princedoms, between 1850 and 1900. The Stalinist collectivization employed almost identical centralized food distribution tactics to the Russian and British Empires - with the same result, mass death of food producers and especially rural trade workers reliant on surpluses sold at local markets. All the while, centrally collected surpluses were being exported or stored for military use in quantities sufficient to prevent any deaths at all.

Which is to say that all these things are incredible atrocities, but not unique features of the Soviet system, even the degraded worker's state under Stalin, while the rapid gains in life expectancy, standard of living, educational attainment, and decrease in income inequality between 1920 and 1990 are not qualities shared with the Tsarist or neoliberal regimes that bookend it.

The dismantling of the Soviet healthcare system post 1990 has already resulted in ~1-2 million excess deaths in Russia, I don't have any data on the rest of the USSR but it's probably a similar proportion. If we apply the Kiev Court Holodomor standard and count birth decreases as "casualties" then the population of the USSR was increasing at a bit under 1% per annum in the 80s, and the population of the former Soviet states has increased by ~1 million in the subsequent quarter century, which makes a difference of ~50 million. We can play these kinds of demographic games with every regime, and the results are almost never flattering. In the long, bloody, depressing history of Central Eurasia, the Soviet period was a relative bright spot.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Alfred figures it out in like two seconds but Bruce is so toy oriented that he figures he needs to bust out the mass spectrometer to hunt for clues. Lois is a far better detective just by doing her job.

He solves or attempts to solve every single problem throughout the movie with an action figure accessory.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Inescapable Duck posted:

I know this is CineD and being wilfully obtuse is an art form here, but it should be obvious that 'superhero' is its own genre, and an increasingly significant one to the collective mythos of pop culture.

And come to think of it, Diana is one of the first action movie protagonists full stop who comes from a loving family with role models she looks up to.

I don't see anything significant that separates WW from GitS or, particularly, Lucy apart from licensing. By almost any standard it's the same "genre" as like, fucken Mulan.

And no lots of action heroes come from happy families, imperiling a person's happy family is the most cliched of cliche motivations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I'm legit not trying to be a shithead when I ask, what's a superhero?

• Locked thread