Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
who is the biggest fail club
This poll is closed.
arsenal 9223372036854775807 100.00%
not arsenal 1 0.00%
Total: 23 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Shrapnig posted:

It's amazing that Buffon's transfer record has lasted as long as it has. £32.6m in 2001!

That's probably £250m in today's transfer market, if not more.

It's roughly the same amount we paid for Ferdinand at that point in history, and both made sense in terms of their talent and their age

Probably closer to the £60-75m mark today, unless Rooney really is worth £45m

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Shrapnig posted:

City paid £50m for Stones who can't get a game.

true

but £50m for a centre back is still the most that's ever been spent, it's just that both the players that have gone for that much have been embarrassing garbagemen

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

actually we're champions of europe

which is the best continent except for most parts of it

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

i don't actually know if donnarumma is any good but I hope he signs for an english team so i can make all of the disco puns

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

i hear ronald's coming home

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

we have this wayne rooney

he's younger, it's a good swap

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Surprised no-one mentioned Ribery in the list of players who were poo poo until they were good

otoh Oxlade-Chamberlain is not Franck Ribery

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Gigi Galli posted:

These Chinese dudes most definitely do not speak Italian lol

Assuming they've got ten fingers and two wrists, I'm sure they're conversationally fluent

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

doesn't look that young tbh

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

oliwan posted:

Lacazette is insanely good

good enough to get on the french subs bench

phwoar, what a guy

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

I mean, in many ways it'd probably be harsh to declare a player I don't remember having ever seen play as the bastard child of Grant Holt and Afonso Alves, but I'm just saying we should teach the controversy and let the children decide for themselves

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

TheBigAristotle posted:

I am a big fan of Big Rom

same

our main problem last year involved not being able to make the ball go in the goal, so I'm going to go ahead and say that if we buy a player who makes the ball go in the goal a lot it will be better than if we don't

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Hegay posted:

Massive upgrade? After all this transfer is gonna be a replacement for Ibra

Griezmann, Lukaku, Morata etc are all great players and Man Utd would defo have been stronger with either of them if Ibra hadn't gotten injured and would have stayed with Man Utd, but neither of those players offer much more than Ibra did last season

I don't think he's going to single-handedly win us the league, but I'm hopeful that he'll be able to do what Van Nistelrooy did, which was to somehow know exactly where the ball was going to come and then make it go into the goal from eight yards out, and also to be a Big Unit

death to strikers who've ever run more than ten yards continuously

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Ninpo posted:

I'm sad that this is how his time at United is ending and I'm grateful for everything he brought to the club.

Same. People telling him to gently caress off are idiots who don't deserve nice things.

If we're going to end up paying half his wages anyway I wouldn't have been offended at the idea of keeping him around for another year as a Mickey Owen-esque fifth-choice backup/loveable mascot, but him going somewhere else to get first team football at 31 is a good outcome imo

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Also have this video of Big Rom and Big Pog doing black people stuff

https://twitter.com/Sporf/status/883625263724212224

The line from Lukaku is basically "see you at training tomorrow, mate"

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Hoops posted:

1) Wayne Rooney not being a United player is really weird

2) hang on can he write his signature backwards?

technically an "X" is a palindrome

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

sassassin posted:

Cork to Burnley for £10m means Swansea can tell Leicester to gently caress off with their measly £40m bid for Gylfi.

Swansea quoting £50m for Sigurdsson is pretty much the point where I've given up trying to figure out where the market is any more

I keep asking people if they remember when £7m plus Keith Gillespie was a massive transfer, but they just shout at me and tell me to get out of their garden

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Apparently Adnan Januzaj will be signing for a Manchester United or a Real Sociedad

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

I have a picture of John O'Shea that I drew on a napkin - £900 ono

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Thirteenth Step posted:

Spurs have robbed City

lmao

it's like the six day war all over again

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

hadji murad posted:

yeah it's very similar to when Israel launched attacks against Egyptian mobilization and then Jordan

it's a funny old game

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

sebzilla posted:

I read a thing today about inflation in transfer fees and how, proportionally, Shevchenko is/was the most expensive transfer ever in the Premier League. Ferdinand was roughly similar. Both would have been about £150M in today's money, given the rate of increase in average transfer fees.

iirc £30m for Ferdinand was "a lot for a defender" back then, not "what the gently caress I hate football now" money - probably closer to £80m in today's market

madrid paying £50m for zidane is closer to what would be a £150m transfer now, just chucking state cash at a big club with no reason to sell until you reach an arbitrary value that no player would actually be worth

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Up pops a smiling 44-year-old Rogerio Ceni

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

pik_d posted:

Plus where would they literally put it? They'd have to tear down the old one and put in a new one that's somehow larger capacity without taking up more space.

Qatar. They'd literally put it in Qatar. You know, like MK Dons, but not as bad.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

mackintosh posted:

You could probably buy the entire Ekstraklasa, both clubs and their players, for one Neymar.

True, but there are probably cheaper ways to get your bathroom re-tiled

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

CyberPingu posted:

Source your quotes.

Yeah the stadium is whats holding us back :jerkbag:

Eh, there's some truth to it but probably less so this year with the way the money's moved around. A modern stadium doesn't just mean 30,000 extra people paying £40 a head, it also means a poo poo-ton of corporate boxes jammed in (which helps when you want to be sponsored by companies that aren't exclusively used by Nigerian scammers). Wouldn't be that hard to generate an extra £50-60m over the course of a season without trying massively hard.

Except that once upon a time that money bought you a new Wayne Rooney and Rio Ferdinand every season, instead of one Kyle Walker.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

pik_d posted:

Sky has City going for Jonny "loving" Evans :negative:

BBC are reporting that West Brom have turned down eighteen million pounds sterling

for Jonny Evans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Thirteenth Step posted:

I'd be pissed if we sold him for even close to 18. He's our captain and best player and we almost certainly won't replace him with anyone decent.

I don't think there was a risk of anyone expecting west brom to sign someone decent

• Locked thread