Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

An admin asked the OP to close the thread for some reason. So it's not his fault.

no mods no masters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Time to see how dems capitalize on this besides some snarky tweets and statements, nada

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Mister Adequate posted:

Huma I think you're great but what are you thinking

Well she signed up to help drone her family's countrymen.

and ^, so she can't be that great.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Skex posted:

Sure she's flawed, sure she's a DLC flunky but her heart has always been in the right place.

Maybe this is the source of contention????????????????????????

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Blitz7x posted:

I think the EPA is extremely valuable, I don't know why I'm getting jumped by saying it's heavily mismanaged and filled with incompetent people

Most people aren't brought in or hired as managers because they're good managers. I suspect this is more of a problem in government than private sector but this issue certainly isn't just in the EPA.

That said, my part of government functions pretty well though complaints about DC & managerial direction from there aren't uncommon.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

Hillary is a corrupt politician

Stop while you're ahead.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah I ride the LA Metro rail pretty often, it's actually quite good it just has really lovely coverage.

The stretch through Highland Park is insanely slow due to the track being where kids play and kinda makes it unusable for me.

Never forget :911:

The Pacific Electric system also is a pretty good symbol of Trump's infrastructure plan

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Lightning Lord posted:

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/870745699503267842

I'm sorry if you're living in an area prone to hurricanes :stare:

Yeahhhh this is a concern. A lot of us (FEMA, NOAA, etc) have been without administrators but the mechanisms for response aren't really affected. My concern would be if something really big happens and significant resources are needed and no one in the White House is interested in listening to a Dep/Acting Admin when requests for support are made. (same goes for new initiatives and programs, but those wouldn't be as critical, anyway)

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Kaal posted:

Sadly, I agree. HRC would have been a wonderful president, but there were plenty of people who hated her after 30 years of knocking on the glass ceiling. The upside is by taking broadsides for her entire career, she made it much easier for the next woman to do it. There's a lot of people out there who absolutely hated her but who would love to deny that they are misogynists by supporting a different woman instead.

gently caress off

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

:cheers:

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Greenwald is fine. The Intercept is fine. Just enjoy their leaks and content.

God forbid you might disagree on some views.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

my bony fealty posted:

Did you not see what they did, they won't have any more leaks to enjoy soon lol

yeah, that nonwithstanding. they really hosed up on that.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

here ya go: https://www.facebook.com/GreatAmericaAlliance/videos/vb.1109620582499338/1237360046392057/?type=2&theater

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Rigel posted:

It would produce about the same amount of power as 32 coal power plants.

https://twitter.com/Timothy_Cama/status/872207906115993600

'both sides' doesn't work that way...

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Might be an ISIS-related attack? There's been a fair amount of domestic news/propaganda on finding plotters over the past few years.

I doubt it's MEK/NCRI terrorists whose MO is more drive-by assassinations/bombings, but there's that precedent, too. (BTW both Gulliani, Howard Dean, and other US politicians have lobbied for NCRI.)

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Whomever is attacking, I would fully expect Iranians, from basijis to north tehran socialites, to rally around the government especially after the last election.

I also don't expect Khomenei to advise or order anything that ups the ante, unless it's Syria or MEK related.

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Another attack at the Khomeini Mausoleum so it's looking more and more related to the Qatar/Hezbollah fallout.

Not really Qatar. I'm sure Iran's keeping it's nose clean on that until dust settles, publicly.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

^ but it entirely is!

e: drat you, Kerbal!

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Well if this week and the last couple of months is anything to go by, these will be Russian stooges (found out too late of course) with Saudi passports, kicking off a ME clusterfuck war.

Oddly enough Israelis posed as CIA to support Jundallah in Iran: http://foreignpolicy.com/2012/01/13/false-flag/

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Nelson Mandingo posted:

A. Actively hurting the republican party and they need to throw him overboard to save themselves. It's likely never going to get that bad.

The only real window would be If polls keep slipping consistently on his approve/disapprove without a clear floor and state polling shows strong for dems, R's might have to cut their losses early if the evidence is also damning. It'd have to be done quickly enough such that there's time to recover trust for 2018 races. So that's a lot of qualification.*

If D's retake in 2018, even impeachment would do a lot to tarnish Trump. Think of Clinton on the stand and how much his word twisting is still brought up. With this being Trump and in his first term, it'd be far different than any faux pas during the 16 election.

e: *R's will also need to wait with the investigations to see how much Pence is implicated in the nonsense.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Clinton is smarter than anyone posting ITT I'm pretty sure. Also he didn't rape anyone but that meme seems to have penetrated the left pretty well by now

lol, I highly, highly doubt that.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

no kinkshaming, please.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Probably 20 pages late but people were asking about UK polling? Wrote this to someone on FB that might be useful here.

"In short: Brexit polling was different as it was a referendum and polling UK elections is much more challenging than US.

The Brexit referendum was based on national totals as opposed to Parliamentary elections which are for each district, after which the government can be made.

I'm not a poller but I have a feeling that those doing it for media orgs are pretty limited in resources and aren't able to flush out decent models to normalize for segments & get enough statistics/responses. So national polling with ~2K folks will not do a reliable job in sampling to understand how districts will go. Any real district-national coupling is probably too weak to be meaningful.

So to be clear, it's like using US national polls to predict the presidential election. Except there's a lot more districts than states so your combined uncertainty will be much, much higher. "

If there's a some UK goon who wants to tell me I'm wrong, I'd love to be corrected!

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Majorian posted:

Agriculture made grains, which can be distilled into whiskey. Argument refuted.

Alcohol is haraam, checkmate.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Is this some sort of Pinochet reference? :staredog:

cochise posted:

Yep. Helicopter rides are en vogue for the Trump idiots.

If it's a reference, it's the wrong pic. It's from the Vietnam War by fallen photographer Henri Huet: http://www.apimages.com/metadata/Index/Associated-Press-International-News-Vietnam-VIE-/8387ab7097e5da11af9f0014c2589dfb/6/1

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

holy poo poo

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Unponderable posted:

Stolen from a friend

goddammit

i like yours better

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Petr posted:

That's what I'm saying! What's going on?

maybe someone's loving with them.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

the guy's right, though i doubt he has any idea what he's going on about. gravity is non-renormalizable.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

horse mans posted:

you're a loving idiot, there's no reason to believe that any organization save another government can resist attacks by a determined state actor

I don't disagree but this is deliciously bad:

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/288944-leaked-dnc-email-mocks-story-about-weak-cybersecurity-at-dnc

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

twice burned ice posted:

SCOTUS needs a general test for gerrymandered districts. This district seems like an good case to apply these tests to.

Many ideas for tests rely on convexity/concavity of the district. It would be interesting to see when this district starts failing tests; it seems PA 7 could be as a good base for comparison among different test methods.

Tayter Swift posted:

Is cool because as you zoom in you see self-similar yet subtly different copies of the district.

Just thought of fractal dimension and I guess someone wrote that paper already: http://y11.cgpublisher.com/proposals/229/index_html

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Wirth1000 posted:

10 sailors missing, 5 injured....

"That's too bad." -Their CiC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cuf9dM_LgCs

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

So the part of St. Louis where the driver hit the protesters is the LGBT hub part of town and often has parades and rallies. I don't know what the driver would have been expecting or trying to do that wasn't what he did.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Prester Jane posted:

God this whole thing is terrible. I hope I'm wrong and FEMA manages a marvelous response despite Trump and the assorted obstacles they face.

I'm working as a part of a fed agency w/ FEMA on the response. One thing we're working on is on assessing oil leaks/spills FYI.

It's the same people as have been for years past. Ultimately it's a mix of funding and local agency working with FEMA in how recovery ops go. Rebuilding, insurance, economic, and environmental impact - well, that's beyond the scope of the urgent response.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

So if you ever wonder how space agencies help out in events like this:

https://hddsexplorer.usgs.gov/
http://emergency.copernicus.eu/mapping/list-of-components/EMSR229

are some feeds of data from remote sensing observations. Eventually disasters.nasa.gov will be updated?

Everyone should be able to view them, so geek out. Feel free to share.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Has anyone brought up how Harvey is actually govt false flag to enact procedures from Jade Helm???

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

Its still a meme. A bunch of the neo Nazis at Charlottesville had helicopter ride t-shirts.

which is a photo of a KIA US soldier in vietnam being airlifted. my post history itt has the link.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Deptfordx posted:

If Trump repudiates the Iran deal then the sanctions regime outside America is going to collapse. China, Russia and you better believe Europe all wanted to normalise relations and go for that sweet, sweet trade, oil especially and America had to apply a lot of pressure and burn a lot of prestige into getting them to sign up.

If America unilaterally blows up the deal then the rest of the world is going to go ahead with that and any attempt to stop it is going to be met with "gently caress you, you're the ones who blew up the deal."

This. There's been a lotta contracts starting to been written and signed between nations and US withdrawing isn't going to have any support as all other parties continue to meet obligations.

The only downside to the US withdrawing with be for US foreign policy & businesses. Congrats Airbus & RIP Boeing!

e: Unless US sanctions all businesses doing business with Iran, in which case a lot of folks gunna be angry.

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 5, 2017

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Boon posted:

Here's a question though, if it's August 2019, how the gently caress do you campaign as a Democrat? If you win the presidency, what the gently caress are you supposed to do to restore trust in government?

Unironically, "lock him up."

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Give be a UBI or give me death.

Literally

You'll get what you're asking for :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Page is probably taking turns giving lengthly personal narratives that tangent from what the questions are asking for, pleading the 5th incorrectly, and trying to suavely leave red herrings for congress & public is my guess.

• Locked thread