Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Crabtree posted:

I will find this man in this same shirt a few weeks from now and I will grab him by his man titties highlighted by those swastikas and twist his nipples off with wire, hooks and a engine.

He couldn't just be a loving racist jackass, no, he has to also look like a total twat doing so with a shirt that is completely stupid. Swastikas in your arm pits? How the gently caress is this appealing to even their mouth breathing crowd of dickless chuds?! Is also wearing them on his stained tighty not-so-whities and there are nazi symbols on his thighs where he extra wouldn't see them?

This is a beautiful post.

To me, the strangest thing about the Trump phenomenon isn't the blatant racism. I understand that's a feature, not a bug, and is pretty deeply woven into Western culture. What I don't get is, even if I actually was wherever the gently caress Trump is on the political spectrum, with his weird mix of authoritarianism and anti-establishmentism, wouldn't I want someone who was, you know, competent? Like, if you think the government is hosed and needs serious reform, in any direction, how do you look at Trump, hear him speak, notice that his sentences are never about the same thing at the end as they are at the beginning and go 'this is the man to reform a broken system'? Like, I get what they want him to do and why, but I don't get why they think he can do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Imagine you are an average or median fox news viewer: over 65, angry, white, utterly befuddled, with no consistent ideology beyond constant rage and no coherent thought longer than a sentence.

Trump is your avatar/

That doesn't explain the many, many otherpeople who voted for him. I mean, it's a convenient passing of the buck for the educated right, but he also had plenty of young, educated people voting for him.

poo poo, I know young educated Australian Trump supporters. And I cannot quite get my head around a 25 year old looking at this clearly senile old man and thinking 'yes, he is the one who can fix an enormously complex system with deep structural issues'

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Kale posted:

Tomorrow: FAKE NEWS! NEVER HAPPENED! NOBODY LOVES OBAMA! US VS THEM! SAD!

"George Soros paid them to be there"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

They didn't vote for Trump to fix the system. They voted for him to tear it down. Especially the parts that Obama built. Trump is an anti-establishment bull that has been let loose in the china shop.

Trump voters are either too privileged to be affected by the damage Trump is causing, or too loving dumb to realize they will be affected by it. The former group may secretly feel remorse about electing a senile cretin, but they sure as hell won't admit it publicly.

Tearing down a system requires a competence that I've yet to see Trump display.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Why does he look so much like he doesn't want to be there?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Ginsburg is a scary lookin' lady.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Vladimir Putin posted:

I think that’s just how people looked back then. The emperor of Japan looked just as weird as those dudes and he wasn’t a prototype wierdo . Tojo looked like those guys as well.

Nah, Skorzeny looked like the Aryan ideal. And The emperor of Japan suffered from a shitload of health issures.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

reminder, Donnie said the holes are for so we can see drug dealers on the other side and dodge the drugs they toss over.

empty whippet box posted:

It frustrates me that this isn't brought up constantly every time he mentions it because it is a real thing he actually said

Please provide a source because that is loving amazing.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

RasperFat posted:

:wow:

How does anyone see him as a strong man? He’s such a sensitive little snowflake and throws tantrums like a toddler.

That, to me, is the most confusing part. I get the appeal of a political strongman. I don't share it, but I understand it. How the gently caress does anyone see that sensitive little pissbaby as a strong man? While, at the same time, seeing Obama or Hillary as weak? Like, if Trump was exposed to even a fraction of the vitriol either of them faced during their careers, I think he might actually combust

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

I already can't find anyone who admits to voting for him.

In 10 years you'll probably able to poll "admitted trump voter" at under 10%.

Will it be because they're all dead from the medical condition of 'being loving ancient, both temporally and morally'?

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I don't know that Trump had a unified message so much as he was a barely-coherent, rambling, orange-and-yellow Rorschach blot for his base to project their desires onto.

This is it in a nutshell. There was a video addressing the idea that he's the 'warmonger' candidate, and it played brief clips of him saying 'Libya is a disaster' or 'Syria is a disaster' same with Iraq and, weirdly, the Balkans. The thing is, he doesn't give any indication of why. Are we not doing enough? Are we doing too much? Are we too ruthless? Too soft? Whatever you think the problem is, it lets you draw your own conclusion about what he is saying the solution is.

Which is sensible, because every time he proposes a solution, it's horrifying.

Invalid Validation posted:

I’m not sure how he survives 3 more years of this poo poo.

In a very physical sense, I think you're right. I mean, he doesn't even look good for someone who's 71. I was amazed to discover that Joe Biden is actually older.

glowing-fish posted:

I think the short answer has to do with American society as a simulacrum, the image of toughness presented through television has overtaken real toughness.

I think there is very much something to this. After all, why the gently caress else would anyone take Clint Eastwood's word on anything? How would a draft dodger win two elections over actual veterans, voted for by the end of the political spectrum that loving loves the military (at least their idea of it)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Killer robot posted:

This in particular isn't a Trump thing though. Pretty much every Republican criticism of Obama's foreign policy was to call it a disaster and then offer one of three alternatives:

1.) Bomb everything!
2.) Basically exactly what Obama was doing already but with more frowning and chest beating that will make things work somehow because it's now a big manly conservative doing it.
3. *crickets*

Trump was absolutely on the party line, just being Trump when he actually offered one of the first two he sounded more like a RWM listener than a RWM host.

I know it's a general thing in politics, too. I mean, you need to sound good to the broadest possible number of people, and not everyone can do the Obama thing where he can actually completely switch modes between rooms, or even sentences. I just rarely saw it so blatantly as with Trump, where he never offered something that even sounded like a workable solution.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Fulchrum posted:

Yes, I often hear of Conservatives burning the American flag and saying they hate America, and how America is the source of all evil on earth.

Conservatives say that America is great, but liberal policies are ruining it. They always make sure to focus their hatred on liberals and liberal policies. Leftists say America is inherently bad and agree from the outset that it is Inherently conservative and needs to be burned down.

You gonna keep pretending it's totally conservatives who burn the flag?

It's conservatives who make burning the flag a sensible reaction, certainly.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Personally, I'm incredibly annoyed that the far right are splitting into factions while proposing things that won't work while sounding kind of like they would. Because that's the left's gimmick, and it's forcing us to think practically.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Kale posted:

So Harvey Weinstein, The Neogaf guy and various others all for sure did it, but Donnie, you might not believe this but the most honest person you've ever met. So honest in fact that nobody has ever been more honest in the history of the world BELIEVE ME!

In that sense, he is a very accurate representation of his base. All women who accuse men of rape are lying, unless they accuse a migrant/brown person, in which case they are totally telling the truth and it's only political correctness that stops that person immediately being shot into the sun.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Fox determinedly burying their head in the sand and shouting about how Clinton is about to be indicted and Mueller being about to resign tells you how little they've learned. I remember reading about how right after Obama's reelection, their viewership plummeted for a long time. They'd been building the narrative that Obama was about to lose and was terrible and everyone hates him and he sniffs his own butt, etc. They had their viewership convinced that Romney was going to cruise to a win. Then Obama wins because, guess what, he was pretty popular and a very smart politician. And that media bubble snapping cost Fox a huge amount of credibility. And this is sort of the same deal. I mean, you can bullshit as much as you want about what will happen. But lying about what is currently happening right now is a fuckload harder.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

pillsburysoldier posted:

You give their viewership too much credit. They don't listen for facts and they certainly don't connect themes from "points" made just a couple months ago to today. Half the network, including Hannity, was pumping Russia-horror like a year ago and more, they were saying we should let Russia be more friendly with us a couple months ago because "they hate Isis too!" and now they're on this "actually russia bad" trip since it's Hillary. Talk with any Fox News viewer about it - they won't remember anything about those previous points, they only consume and regurgitate the tenor

This isn't connecting facts. This is just noticing what is happening. If you say, with enormous confidence that X is going to happen, then Y happens, a significant chunk of people, no matter how dumb, are going to notice the discrepancy.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

World Famous W posted:

Pence frightens the hell out of me but I do not want Trump to escape from this unscathed to die in wealth and luxury.

Justice can't be denied. We will all just have to work to make sure the outrage aimed at Trump carries over.

ha, we going to get 'hes so presidential, things are finally normal again' from all the news the day he takes the seat

Right until everyone forgets who Pence is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEus5GLMFMg

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

SocketWrench posted:

Fake, Trump's face isn't GM code 70 Flame Red

It is when the guys it's targeting are either strictly anti gay (Putin) or leader of the anti gay party (Trump)

You forgot to put 'leader' and 'party' in quotation marks.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Arrested Development is looking a lot less like a comedy and more like an extremely prescient thing.

Zil posted:

Actually they were titled: "From Russia with love"

I think you'll find it was 'definitely not incriminating documents. Something else, something that the FBI would definitely have no interest in.'

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

And Manafort was like "Ukrainian lobbying and Russian collusion ain't my bag baby!" right as the agents were uncovering the records.

I'll bet they found a dick pump as well. One he failed to successfully assemble.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, there's a mountain of evidence to suggest he wasn't playing to win and was only in it for the ego and brand recognition boost, so yeah, probably.

The very night of the election, he looked the way shellshocked people do in movies.

BRISTOL PALINS BABY posted:

Seriously hoping for (but not expecting) a daily drop of indictments this week. More likely we'll have a period of silence before the shark comes back for another bite.

You let people stew a little, let them realise how much poo poo is about to land on them. I mean, this is what the FBI does. They've been doing it for nearly 100 years. And they usually do it to people who are better equipped and more motivated to cover their tracks that these fuckin' jamokes.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Mueller's probably looking at the astonishing, elite team of law enforcement experts he assembled, thinking he may have over estimated how hard this would be.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It's as if their rage cannot function with a means for potency. They lust for authority to rebel against and are incapable of forming an identity in the world they control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E34DshQElE

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Crabtree posted:

Trump going to jail is too good for him at this point. He's going to watch his whole apparatus and buisness empire crumble, his children in jail or dead by their own hands to escape the cops, but he, a senile and near dead Dorito, left alone to rot in a lovely old folks home/crematorium.

And then a bald eagle eats him.

Medullah posted:

This is the crap that really bothers me about the Fake News bullshit. Let's say that Trump's right and Fox News is the only honest, unbiased news outlet out there. That argument, already laughable, falls apart when they don't cover the biggest news story of the day.

Guys are we sure the indictment was actually served? Are we 100% positive it isn't something Hillary feed to her news cronies?

There's a few good pieces in the Atlantic on how common projection is for Trump, like how he mocks everyone else's appearance and physique despite not even looking good for a 70 year old. That whole '*thing happened* and the media didn't even cover it' rejoinder is perfect projection, the way Fox doesn't merely do misleading stuff when they do cover stuff, but just flat out don't cover things.

Trabisnikof posted:

It explains why Trump can't MAGA if he's not president.

Hillary is the President is the perfect form of Republican denial. Everything bad? Hillary's fault. Nothing happening? Hillary's fault. Trump is emasculated? Hillary's fault.

They're still blaming 'obstructionist democrats' despite holding both houses.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

JasonV posted:

Trump is going to try to fire Mueller and get told he can't do that. Then he's doing to lock himself in his room and tweet "I officially pardon Everyone for Everything since Forever! BEST PRESIDENT EVER!" and then society will collapse.

Nah, the Roman empire managed to survive incestuous hedonistic weirdos. On a long enough timeline, you'll be okay.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Gen. Ripper posted:

Even if your opponent is a drooling retard, he will still win by default if you forget to actually show up.

Also, democracy doesn't inherently reward quality. Hence why Carter lost to Reagan.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Terebus posted:

I have to preface this post with the fact that I'm assuming confidence in the people involved. I realize it's a naive assumption but it has to be made for this argument's sake.

In the case of Manafort getting convicted and then pardoned by Trump. If he is compelled to testify can't he just pull the same thing that AG did and repeatedly say "I do not recall" essentially rendering compelled testifying useless?

Further let's say Manafort gets indicted and convicted for perjury, can't he just be pardoned again?

Right, earn the ire of the FBI, an organisation famous for forgiveness.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I'm really sad Gore Vidal never got to see this. His laughter would have been something to behold.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

nwo hatchet man posted:

I never claimed Islam is the only religion people commit violence for. But if you can't admit a vast majority of religious violence is done in its name, you are not arguing in good faith

nwo hatchet man posted:

Only one religion has members that keep doing this

C'mon Son, put some effort into this.

gently caress, beaten.

It bares repeating though. We deserve better trolls.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Zoro posted:

It actually has to do with the fact that we ban bad posters so the people who were actually Nazis trying to convert us subtly were removed before they had any chance.

There's also, and not to sound grandiose or anything, a pretty good culture on here. Yes, there are eccentrics, but people are expected to at least try to back up their claims, and not repeat old jokes or points.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

There's a specific thread for it. Maybe I'm just extrapolating too much from soon after I started posting, where someone was probated for making a 'i for one welcome our alien overlords' joke.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Medullah posted:

He should be thrilled if it's true and encourage her to do it again in 2020. Had a more popular candidate run, he would have lost.

If Bernie was more popular he probably would have won the primary. Which he lost

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Funny, it's like his hat is foreshadowing the reveal of MAGA Republicanism.

I still have no idea how anyone thought that taking these, selecting the ones that were selected and releasing them was a good idea. Like, this is the sort of poo poo someone who actually cool would struggle to pull off, never mind a whingeing fuckboy who perpetually looks worried if anyone likes him.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Google Butt posted:

This sounds about right

https://twitter.com/RWPUSA/status/926266340343799808

Lol if a constitutional crisis will be on the shoulders of this gop majority

Having every advantage then loving it up is kind of the Trump MO. I guess he is running it like a business.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

spunkshui posted:

There will be riots if muller gets fired.

The country would burn.

On a serious note, I don't think it would actually take much for something to blow up badly. I mean, some dickhead at a skinhead rally using a gun instead of a car and this all starts accelerating.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

Counterpoint, Trump got a higher percentage of the hispanic votes than Romney did, which is, uh, surprising.

People keep bringing this up. It was two percentage points difference. It wasn't a massive swing and it was based on exit polls.

Similarly, Trump got a higher percentage of the black vote than McCain or Romney. He got 8%. Which is awful, but it's better than the 0 and 1% that the other two got.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ague Proof posted:

Only the lawyer is Carter Page.

In a fake mustache.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Something I've been thinking about since quite early on in this administration is the idea that he's distracting us. So many headlines on clickbaity sites saying 'while you were obsessing over the stupid thing he said, he did something evil' as if there's a deliberate strategy. The thing about the strategy is that it never actually produces a positive result. Instead of loathing him professionally we loathe him personally. The only thing it's ever determined is the reason why we hate him.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Spite posted:

We also literally have Trump's entire life to look at and see that he rarely plans ahead and can never, ever pass up a chance to talk poo poo or rile people up.

If he knows he'll get a reaction he literally can't resist. It's kind of uncanny - and he's been this way for decades.

And it's not like the people who would have hated him for the horrifying policy he tried to implement that they didn't hear about are okay with the stupid thing he said that they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Incompetent or cripplingly fractured?

what's the practical difference?

dont even fink about it posted:

I think the far more interesting story is how shockingly incompetent the GOP congressional delegation is, which really hits home how Trump is a symptom of the rot and not the cause.

That's the other thing I've been thinking about. You could never write a villain in a political thriller or even comedy that was this incompetent. Parks and Recs had Jamm, who was, despite being a pathetic person who'd very much hit his ceiling, frighteningly competent at bending and breaking rules.

• Locked thread