Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

The best thing for the democrats would be a blue wave in 2020. They need to take all the state houses to fix the districts into not giving the GOP a 5-8% advantage in the popular vote for congressional seats. The worst thing is Nancy loving Pelosi taking office in 2018, giving the republicans back the opposition title with a nationally unpopular woman president to bring the regressives out in droves again when we are beyond due for a recession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

J.K. Rowling is as pro twitter follow, tho.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Oh now the GOP is against "second amendment remedies"?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Now they're saying it wasn't even Scalise that got hit, but one of his staffers.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

gently caress.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

The house majority whip being shot is bigger news than rando civilians being killed, sorry to say. Unfortunately that's because one is a novel event and the other happens all the loving time.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

There were only like 2.5 million US deaths total in 2008, so...

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Or the GOP knows that it's a much bigger deal for dem supporters to get to the polls than for GOP supporters who have nothing to do in a given day other than watch fox news, so they try to make it seem like its not worth it for the dem supporters to go vote.

My personal theory is that the news coverage calling the presidential election in the bag for Hillary was the main thing that cost her the election by suppressing turnout.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

mcmagic posted:

Thats what was supposed to happen for the last 10 years and they took completely control of government at all levels.

This is why people need to vote in midterms.

Has anyone ever studied if the pendulum effect of dem->gop->dem has anything to do with the fact that every other decade the votes that decide the party in power during redistricting happens to coincide with the presidential vote?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Trump Thread II: Leon Trotsky is trolling you.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

The ACHA will not cause "millions of american deaths", stop being hyperbolic.

Tens of thousands of american deaths, sure. Millions of bankruptcies, wouldn't be surprised. Insane premium increases for the sick, absolutely. The loss of thousands of jobs in the health care industry and fewer options for coverage, you bet. Declining quality of life for the working poor, absolutely.

Focus on arguments that aren't completely divorced in reality, please.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

empty whippet box posted:

I remember reading estimates that said things like 50,000 more deaths per year after the AHCA.

The death rate in 2013 was 8.39 per 1,000. The death rate in 2014 (first year of ACA market place with ~10-11 million newly covered americans) was 8.15 per 1,000. That equates to about 51,000 fewer deaths. I don't think this can be entirely attributed to the ACA, but that estimate is at least in the same order of magnitude as what the data could indicate.

Trabisnikof posted:

Depends, which year do you pretend we change from the AHCA to a better alternative. Leave the system in place long enough and you'll see millions die because of it. Add in increase disease due to climate change and it might be faster than you think.

It would take 15-20 years to hit 1,000,000 deaths. 30-40 years to hit "millions". I don't think we're looking at 30 years before the AHCA gets superseded by something better.

Edit: Dog tax?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

What if the hacker just runs gob's program?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

mcmagic posted:

Trump won by 1. You can't go by what an incumbent won by last time.

i think this guy is on to something and defo knows how elections work

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

empty whippet box posted:

I'm splitting hairs here, but it drives me nuts when people make oral sex jokes about 'blowing' a clarinet, because I'm pretty sure if you get someone to put their mouth on your dick and then force as much air down it as they possibly can, as fast as they can, it will not sound like a clarinet.

Speak for yourself man.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

yeah why didn't the dems take the seats in the incredibly safe districts where the gop advised trump it would be safe to create a special election by nominating the current congressperson? the world is ending and i am so sad

by scaring the GOP into being more centrist

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty sure the tens of thousands of people who are going to die in the next few years don't feel very comforted at the idea that "progressivism is making some gains" when those gains are "We're not losing AS BADLY as we might have" in a game where anything short of a win is 100% meaningless.

You really think 8-12 points movement towards the left is 100% meaningless?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

sean10mm posted:

You mean that thing that hasn't happened in living memory?

There are plenty of people alive that remember moderate republicans.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, I do. Call me when it actually leads to a win or to the GOP changing their plans an iota or when it seems remotely likely this will continue to last until 2018 instead of the Democratic voters finding a reason not to vote.

The Democrats lost despite pushing tons of money into it. They got nothing out of it.

Frankly I think the Democrats lost because they pushed tons of money into it. It's a ruby red district, you don't want high turnout, you want low turnout. Don't give the GOP something to rally behind.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I just don't see the point in flipping the gently caress out about something that can't be changed now. Figure out what you can learn from it, apply that to the future. Don't delude yourself that the situation is either hopeless or that the future is certain.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

B B posted:

Lawl. Can't believe I missed that. Either way, there are a lot of opportunities for pockups next year. I do not believe Dems taking over the house is in any way guaranteed, but if Dems get their poo poo together (lol) they do have a chance.

The previous house election in GA-6 was GOP +23.2. This election was GOP +3.8. The turnout was bigger than a mid-term. Please grab a hold of yourself.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

TyrantWD posted:

Hillary trailed Trump by 1.5, Ossoff lost by more than that.

This apple is significantly different from this orange, I agree.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

It's almost as though GA-6 GOP voters going for one of the two third party candidates that represented their political views out of severe dislike of the GOP candidate depressed their votes for the GOP presidential candidate. If only there were another race on the same ballot we could look at to discern their typical preferences.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Trabisnikof posted:

Nuclear power is dead in the US because the construction companies are bankrupting themselves when they try to build new plants and most power operators don't want to deal with the financial proposition of running an expensive and complicated plant when gas and renewables are so cheap.

Public opinion is a great scapegoat, but it is the companies that are the real road block.

If the public opinion wasn't such a problem, we could tax coal and natural gas plants to price in the externalities of climate change and health issues and reverse the math on that particular roadblock.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Trabisnikof posted:

Public opinion isn't what's stopping a carbon tax, republican politicians and their donors are.

Look even republicans have to answer to public opinion within their own districts. The issue is that the public opinion in their districts is currently "gently caress the poor, the minorities, and the planet". You get climate change to poll over 50% with GOP primary voters and you will get movement on that front. (Alternate route, fix gerrymandering so GOP pols actually have to care what non-tea party "patriots" think).

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Trabisnikof posted:

Not really. You can have 90% Republican voters approve an idea and they won't punish their Representatives because they don't care about the issue.

Did you sleep through the entire tea party movement?

quote:

Getting Republicans to believe climate change is the biggest issue facing America is a tall order compared to just getting them to like a carbon tax.

Agreed.

Reik posted:

Unlikely as studies have shown congressional actions are much more correlated with lobbyists and interest groups than the public opinion.

Yeah, true, but that has alot to do with the requirement for coordinated action to get things done in congress. 5 random congressmen wanting movement on climate change won't get the bill past the committee and to the floor. Lobbyists and interest groups can target the right 5 congressmen to make that happen, and once the issue is up for public debate everyone more or less has to take a stance on it.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

TARDISman posted:

Isn't the reason they're ramming AHCA through is because McConnell's doesn't want town halls scaring the piss out of already nervous Republican senators?

No, it's because the AHCA is the least popular legislation since TARP, and the less time the press has to cover its details the less damage it does to the GOP right now. Consider further that they're going to phase it in over several years to attempt to limit the real damage before the 2018/2020 elections and punt the blame for cutting out popular provisions to the state legislature by writing those cuts in as waiver options.

Public opinion on this has them spooked. Not enough to prevent action, but enough to attempt to mitigate the damage.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Rigel posted:

The district (by Cook's PVI) is really just R+8. Its not really +15 or +20 if you don't have a multi-term incumbent. We only did a few points better than expected for an open contested election between 2 new candidates.

Look the way D's win isn't by increasing turnout in a district like this, it's by taking advantage of the naturally suppressed turnout of a party in power enacting unpopular legislation with a literal man child at the helm.

The D's dumped so much money and drew so much attention to the race it had a bigger turnout than the last midterm.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Crows Turn Off posted:

Do you really have high-hopes for SCOTUS to over-turn political gerrymandering? I mean, it seems that SCOTUS has been fairly against gerrymandering in recent years, but I don't think they've ever heard a case about political gerrymandering. Thomas joined the more liberal justices in the previous ruling against NC, but that was gerrymandering based on race. I can't see Thomas going along with them this time. And Gorsuch is a piece of human poo poo, so of course he'll say it's fine.

It'll probably be decided by Kennedy yet again. I'm just not so sure.

Kennedy has said if there were a test that could prove political gerrymandering he'd rule against it. We now have such a test- you can look at the total number of "wasted votes" by party (that is, any vote that takes the party above 50% of the district's votes, or any vote for a party that does not result in a victory), and when one party has way more wasted votes than the other party, it provides evidence of gerrymandering.

More reading -> https://newrepublic.com/article/118534/gerrymandering-efficiency-gap-better-way-measure-gerrymandering

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

skylined! posted:

actually if you read the last twenty pages going back to the beginning of the election results i believe you will find that it is indeed many people's position. also of thousands of 'progressives' on twitter, but i guess that's not wholly relevant.

it is quite obvious that at this point many gop congresspeople are very aware that the AHCA is toxic as gently caress. an ossoff win would not have changed the current trajectory a tall, and if you believe that you have no loving idea who mitch mcconnell is or what he has done in his political career.

let's look at the numbers. the last election in 2016 in ga06 ended with (R) tom price winning by 76,171 more votes, with a total vote cast of 326,005 (201,088 going to price), or 61.7%
of the vote (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia%27s_6th_congressional_district#2016). the democrat received 124,917 votes.

last night, handel received 134,595 votes to ossoff's 124,893.

the democratic candidate was essentially flat vs the previous election.

handel managed to somehow lose loving 66,493 voters since the last republican elected in the district.

forget the democrats, the message, etc. if you are republican, do you really loving care who won or lost a meaningless seat that four months ago was a foregone conclusion your team would win anyway? or do you care that your candidate and party just somehow managed to leak 33 loving percent of its voter base? that is loving insane voter depression, and it cause for alarm.

if losing 33% of the voter turnout for this election, regardless of the win, isn't cause for GOP alarm and a total overhaul of the approach of the AHCA, nothing is. which is the point. they are trying to jam this through regardless of the rest of reality.

Why are you comparing presidential turnout numbers to special election turnout numbers? The midterms would be a better comparison, but even then you should expect a depressed turnout.

2014 midterms was 139,018 R to 71,486 D
2017 special was 134,595 R to 124,893 D

The story here is that this was a very good turnout the republicans and an astoundingly good turnout the democrats for a special election.

Dietrich fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 21, 2017

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Can we add mcmagic to the list of people no one should respond to?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Aves Maria! posted:

Uh yes, in fact, it can. At the moment House Dems are unified. That's not a guarantee if you start making sacrificial lambs of every single person in a leadership role.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

No I want to continue talking about why the Dem's didn't win R+24 district special elections and how it's all Nancy Pelosi's fault for existing.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

twice burned ice posted:

You broke brained moron. That was a presidential election year. More people come out for those (loving shocking!). Compare Handel's vote counts to that election and you'll see Ossoff did really well to turn out that many for a special election.

Holy gently caress you are loving dense.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Crazycryodude posted:

Wait time out I've been out of the loop for a few days, why can't the Dems just filibuster the drat bill to make sure it never goes anywhere? Or have the Republicans given up on permanent tax cuts and are now trying to do healthcare via reconciliation?

The Republicans are doing it via reconciliation.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

RBG will straight up kick yo rear end.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

In case you forgot what it was like to have a fully functional adult as president:

Barack Obama posted:

Our politics are divided. They have been for a long time. And while I know that division makes it difficult to listen to Americans with whom we disagree, that’s what we need to do today.

I recognize that repealing and replacing the Affordable Care Act has become a core tenet of the Republican Party. Still, I hope that our Senators, many of whom I know well, step back and measure what’s really at stake, and consider that the rationale for action, on health care or any other issue, must be something more than simply undoing something that Democrats did.

We didn’t fight for the Affordable Care Act for more than a year in the public square for any personal or political gain – we fought for it because we knew it would save lives, prevent financial misery, and ultimately set this country we love on a better, healthier course.

Nor did we fight for it alone. Thousands upon thousands of Americans, including Republicans, threw themselves into that collective effort, not for political reasons, but for intensely personal ones – a sick child, a parent lost to cancer, the memory of medical bills that threatened to derail their dreams.

And you made a difference. For the first time, more than ninety percent of Americans know the security of health insurance. Health care costs, while still rising, have been rising at the slowest pace in fifty years. Women can’t be charged more for their insurance, young adults can stay on their parents’ plan until they turn 26, contraceptive care and preventive care are now free. Paying more, or being denied insurance altogether due to a preexisting condition – we made that a thing of the past.

We did these things together. So many of you made that change possible.

At the same time, I was careful to say again and again that while the Affordable Care Act represented a significant step forward for America, it was not perfect, nor could it be the end of our efforts – and that if Republicans could put together a plan that is demonstrably better than the improvements we made to our health care system, that covers as many people at less cost, I would gladly and publicly support it.

That remains true. So I still hope that there are enough Republicans in Congress who remember that public service is not about sport or notching a political win, that there’s a reason we all chose to serve in the first place, and that hopefully, it’s to make people’s lives better, not worse.

But right now, after eight years, the legislation rushed through the House and the Senate without public hearings or debate would do the opposite. It would raise costs, reduce coverage, roll back protections, and ruin Medicaid as we know it. That’s not my opinion, but rather the conclusion of all objective analyses, from the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, which found that 23 million Americans would lose insurance, to America’s doctors, nurses, and hospitals on the front lines of our health care system.

The Senate bill, unveiled today, is not a health care bill. It’s a massive transfer of wealth from middle-class and poor families to the richest people in America. It hands enormous tax cuts to the rich and to the drug and insurance industries, paid for by cutting health care for everybody else. Those with private insurance will experience higher premiums and higher deductibles, with lower tax credits to help working families cover the costs, even as their plans might no longer cover pregnancy, mental health care, or expensive prescriptions. Discrimination based on pre-existing conditions could become the norm again. Millions of families will lose coverage entirely.

Simply put, if there’s a chance you might get sick, get old, or start a family – this bill will do you harm. And small tweaks over the course of the next couple weeks, under the guise of making these bills easier to stomach, cannot change the fundamental meanness at the core of this legislation.

I hope our Senators ask themselves – what will happen to the Americans grappling with opioid addiction who suddenly lose their coverage? What will happen to pregnant mothers, children with disabilities, poor adults and seniors who need long-term care once they can no longer count on Medicaid? What will happen if you have a medical emergency when insurance companies are once again allowed to exclude the benefits you need, send you unlimited bills, or set unaffordable deductibles? What impossible choices will working parents be forced to make if their child’s cancer treatment costs them more than their life savings?

To put the American people through that pain – while giving billionaires and corporations a massive tax cut in return – that’s tough to fathom. But it’s what’s at stake right now. So it remains my fervent hope that we step back and try to deliver on what the American people need.

That might take some time and compromise between Democrats and Republicans. But I believe that’s what people want to see. I believe it would demonstrate the kind of leadership that appeals to Americans across party lines. And I believe that it’s possible – if you are willing to make a difference again. If you’re willing to call your members of Congress. If you are willing to visit their offices. If you are willing to speak out, let them and the country know, in very real terms, what this means for you and your family.

After all, this debate has always been about something bigger than politics. It’s about the character of our country – who we are, and who we aspire to be. And that’s always worth fighting for.

Dietrich fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 22, 2017

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

The bill won't make premiums go up so much as it will make coverage options lovely again. Except for old people and people with pre-existing conditions, who will be turbo-hosed.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Can I get a gently caress DONALD TRUMP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Hmm yes if only we'd ran on the platform of increasing the minimum wage, raising taxes and providing more services to the poor the GA-06 voters with their median income of $72,832 would have fallen all over themselves to get to the polls.

• Locked thread