Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Willo567 posted:

This makes me worried about 2020 more than anything

There seem to be a lot of democrats who believe that nothing matters. If this attitude continues, Trump will win, as republicans sure as hell are motivated

Then again, I worry way too loving much

Don't forget that this was probably them trying to get back at the left for talk-bombing all the GOP's local townhalls the last couple months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Jaxyon posted:

I don't think even the morons deserve to die.

Mocked, yes, absolutely.

Is there a difference between thinking someone deserves to die and not caring if they do?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mustached Demon posted:

It'll be Rex Tillerson who somehow, someway remained clean.

He'll then commit suicide by hanging himself in the oval.

As awesome as this may be, assuming any removals of that level happen, it's going to stop at the Speaker. And the real question would be whether it happens before or after the next Congress is convened and whether the Dems retake the House.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

hanales posted:

I know Burr started off shaky but he seems to be staying focused on this stuff, and warner is a dog with a bone right now. Closed sessions aren't ideal but poo poo will get leaked anyway.

Mueller and his investigation team are going to have access to closed session transcripts, anyway. If Sessions says anything important to their investigation or (we all hope) perjures himself, it'll come out eventually even if the specifics are kept classified.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

They shouldn't do this just because:
1. It feeds the persecution complex of the right.
2. Kids who make dumb uniformed decisions like this should be openly mocked by their peers for them.
3. It becomes a good reminder in 10 years for said kid about how dumb he used to be or at the very lease for said kid's acquaintances as proof on how he was and has always been an unremitting shitstain.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 11, 2017

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

sharkbomb posted:

Europe is too far away for me, a provincial American homebody that only speaks the One True Language.

But if Canada were to offer to some big, fat moving bonuses for people in my field...

I heard an NPR report the other day on how Canada is moving to up the number of technical visas they're going to offer to Americans who want to flee the blighting.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I had to stop watching the Sessions hearing right after Cotton(mouth) got the floor with his dumbass, "why aren't the Dems directly asking you if there was Russian collusion!?!?!?" question. (I wanted to smack him just because if nothing else, how would the dude know the answer if he recused himself from the investigation? gently caress Cotton.)

What did I miss?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Teddybear posted:

It stays vacant. In the event the president exits office, we skip straight to the house speaker.

This, incidentally, will be the argument that republicans will use if a newly enSpeakered Pelosi blocks a VP choice.

We're going to get a West Wing style scenario where something will come out that will force Pence to resign (like he touched a few too many choir boys at Church or something) before the investigation is over. And Trump will end up treating the VP seat like the hundreds of other appointee seats that he hasn't given a second thought to when the hammer will come down from the investigation forcing him out.

You can't call it a coup if the President is too dumb and distracted to appoint a new VP. :v:

The real question is who get's Pelosi's seat in the special election after she resigns to become President.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lemming posted:

If he dies the Republicans get a martyr and whatever R runs in his place is guaranteed the seat

This reminds me of the old Bo Burnham poem:

Bo Burnham posted:

I want to beat you to death with a blunt object.

I want to grab one of those high-end fashion mannequins by the ankles and bash your ribcage in.

I want to sharpen fifty pencils, bind them with a rubber band, stick the lead ends in your mouth, and punch the erasers.

I want to strap you to a bed of nails and then strap that bed of nails to the hood of my car so I can watch you suffer as we drive over speed bumps in a mall parking lot during an earthquake.

I want you to somehow survive a terrible car crash and then somehow not survive a small fender bender on the way back from the hospital.

How would that work with the martyr issue? :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dave Grool posted:

Yeah that's not how the navy works, the captain is directly responsible for everything that happens on their ship. If the OOD was poo poo it's cause the CO was running a lovely command. The navy might be the only place in the US where the executives are actually held accountable for what the people below them do.

Mukaikubo posted:

Yeah, but it is probably the difference between "being drummed out of the Navy in disgrace" as will happen and "being court-martialed and jailed for manslaughter" as would happen had he been in active command at the time. At least, that's my impression given what I know of the Navy.

The CO, XO, OOD, and possibly the TAO/CICWO will get fired. The OOD's Department Head could get a letter of reprimand for failing to train their DIVO properly (assuming the OOD was a DIVO and not a DH for some reason). There is very little chance anyone will have a criminal case brought up on them because criminal negligence is something the Navy doesn't like to prosecute when it comes to navigation accidents. (Of course, they don't typically end with 7+ people dead in addition to the millions in damages, so take that as you will.)

The only way criminal charges might be filed is If the CO was on the bridge and sanctioned the maneuver or if it was logged that the OOD called the CO, gave him the plan, and the CO signed off on it. Of course, depending on the CO, 0-dark-30 calls to the CO's cabin about navigation plans aren't the most scrutinized, especially if the CO can see on his radar display that there isn't much out there since you're likely jostling them straight out of REM sleep.

Chilichimp posted:

This thread has gone from not caring whether republicans live or die to Allied Powers Speed Run in record time.

Its the weekend and they're bored. Give them a break.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

nachos posted:

if Tillerson quits I guess in addition to FBI director we won't have a secretary of state either for the next 3 years

The WH formally submitted Chris Wray as their nomination for FBI director this past Monday.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

loving amaaaaaaaaaaaazing.

HOW CAN YOU CHALLENGE A PERFECT, POWDER DRY MACHINE?

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 30, 2017

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Archonex posted:

What did he do?

He's a super-centrist who manages to tick off the boxes that make him disdained by both the left and right. (Loves cops and stringent law enforcement, but hates religion and right-wing demagoguery. Plus, he upped taxes for basically everyone to make Maryland schools and roads pretty much the best in the Mid-Atlantic.) But, he was a Democrat (and ex-mayor of Baltimore), so he got most of Charles, Prince George's, and Baltimore Counties' votes to hold his seat.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

OddObserver posted:

You know, I was under impression that knowingly buying stolen property was some sort of a crime? So why there doesn't seem to be any report of someone facing criminal charges?

Proving knowledge is the hardest thing any prosecutor has to do. This is why DOJ doesn't bring charges on someone unless it is basically a slam-dunk. I have mixed feelings on how useful this is for us as a society. You could get a whole lot more people caught in the net if you lower the bar, but the rich fucks would likely still get away with just paying a fine.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
He seems to be unusually verbose this morning.

Guess he wants to clear the air before going on vacation. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tibalt posted:

Now, meanwhile, Trump still doesn't have an FBI director.

Wray is through committee and could be confirmed as early as Tuesday.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Charlz Guybon posted:

That's why they've built so many submarines.
Can't sink what you can't find.

And once laser anti missile defense weapons are more polished, carriers will be much safer.

There's been some good work done on shipboard laser weaponry, but you may want to temper your expectations as far as its counter ASCM capabilities...

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I just want to point out that there is usually something wrong with someone who serves two (relatively short) stints in the military a decade apart. It can be for a variety of reasons, but they're never good. (Especially when 9/11 is a prominent reason for their decision to rejoin and they try to paint themselves as the warrior leader because of it.)

Edit: Also "...in many areas that that politicians have no idea." grinds my gears more than it should.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 7, 2017

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The U.S. was also totally committed to NATO. If North Korea officially joins the MAD club I wouldn't be surprised if Tokyo follows.

Are you implying Tokyo would try to get nukes? Because I don't think you realize how hated nuclear weapons are in Japan. I mean, an Abe ministry might tell a majority of the country to go gently caress off, and develop them anyway, but his party would lose basically everything in any scenario short of NK actually attacking Japan and the U.S. not intervening.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Fulchrum posted:

So is it unwise to take my trip to Japan or South Korea this year?

I'm going to Japan in September. gently caress it. Gotta get those limited edition figurines before they all get melted.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

That article title is a straight up lie, to my knowledge. All the article says is that Trump wanted McCabe gone last month. There's nothing regarding Trump's reaction to the raid this morning.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The first thing I thought after looking at the photos of the Nazi rally was: "I want to fill a super soaker with kerosene and spray them with it."

Does this make me a bad person? :ohdear:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'll pay the dog tax for this page.

Young Freud posted:

News travels fast. BTW, someone died from the attack.

https://twitter.com/TheAnonJournal/status/896434570094145540

loving hell. :( I'm hoping it turns out to be a bad report.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 12, 2017

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
He just walked away with the bill sitting on the desk. He loving almost forgot to sign a thing AGAIN!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

KickerOfMice posted:

Turd on CNN quite literally said "both sides" like 6 times in one run on sentence. :psyduck:

"The people's hatred of the president is disgusting."

e- I now remember why I stopped watching this fly-seething pile of words punctuated with advertisements.
Entertainment "news" where both "sides" get a say can [vilest thing you can think of.]

What was that scene in Bulworth where Lewis Black just rails on TV as the end of reality because it makes experts and fuckhead pundits look like equals?

What if that movie was made now?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ringo Star Get posted:

I was a Civil War reenactor for a few years between being 14 and 18. I was part of an actual company, with ranks (that were democratically voted for), drill, etc since we wanted to be an accurate and authentic unit to represent what confederate soldiers were like. We were all city or suburbanites, largely democrat and overall were just big history nerds. I did it because my good friend was in the unit and it was the most affordable side to portray. Go camping, shoot some rifles, play war, cook out and party? Hell yes!

What I hated the most though were the white trash pieces of poo poo spectators that would walk through our camps during "public" hours. We were basically told to do living history - cleaning our equipment, drills, cooking, playing cards/games. Drill was the one time we wouldn't be bothered by shitheel spectators because during the other times it was always chatter about how "the south will rise again" and "it's bullshit that the south lost". Hated it.

People assumed I wanted slaves or believed in white supremacy, so while I'm in camp cleaning my equipment, I'd get some rear end in a top hat trying to get me to come to rallies and meetings. After I went off to college I decided to not do reenactments for a long time, and eventually just stopped caring.

I've seen a few WW2 reenactments and I'm tempted to ask the German reenactors how many times they get approached by neo Nazi fuckwits. I'm sure they do.

While I was in the military, I had a roommate from Boston who was heavy into WWII reenacting. He had a full Luftwaffe Colonel Doctor's uniform, about 7 or 8 different Iron Crosses, and an almost fully accurate S.S. Hitler Youth private uniform. It was actually pretty interesting stuff when he talked about it.

The first night we went out to a bar in town, I ended up flirting with a black girl. (I'm the textbook definition of pale faced whitey.) He decided to inform me on the way home that he could never date a black girl and become indignant when I gave him a wary look about it.

Yeah, we ended up not parting on good terms.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The one thing I want to remind everyone of regarding today's shitstorm is how often Trump called out McCain during his ranting.

Like...he did it multiple times. And you could hear the venom dripping from his mouth when he brought McCain up.

This is the state of affairs that McCain will see right before he goes. I would pay money to hear his thoughts right now.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

:vince:

Jesus christ.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Someone never served. :rolleyes:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Boon posted:

Just gonna put it out there that I've personally been OC sprayed three times and supervised many sailors getting the same.

Those 'tough' Nazi's handled it worse than most of the sailors by a mile.

Also, :lol: at the idea of any reserve Intel Officer doing anything worth anything, especially a JG. I hope the piece of poo poo gets the book thrown at him (though I have no idea how that even works in the reserves... as a current reservist myself).

Oh, they can bounce his rear end for violation of Article 133 regardless of whether he is on AT/ADT orders or not.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Crabtree posted:

You have to prove to me that Steve Banon never did coke before I give him the benefit of the doubt. I mean just look at that nose. Sure, he may be a sapient swarm of poo poo eating gnats, ticks, fleas, ring worms, cockroaches, bot flies and hundreds of parasites currently unknown to man, but come on.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mahoning posted:

Good. Democrats should shut up and let the Republicans rip each other apart.

Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake.

Proceed, Governor...

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Still though, those ships cost 1.8 *billion* dollars to make, you would think they could hire a few more people to helm them so people could sleep

U.S. warships are manned at levels way higher than any other Navy in the world.

I'd love to see the logs of these incidents and what the gently caress they're teaching these kids as SWOS now-a-days.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Calibanibal posted:

navy ships are literally just $1b+ floating prisons we put our useless unemployable rejects on. when someone sinks one they're doing us a favor

Kill yourself.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

evilweasel posted:

republicans have won the popular vote one out of the last six presidential elections

Wouldn't it be 7, now? Unless Clinton didn't win the popular vote in '92?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BlueberryCanary posted:

Caros not exaggerating, either. Donald Trump registered for the 2020 election only weeks after inheriting the office.

Try loving Inaguration day.

http://docquery.fec.gov/pdf/569/201701209041436569/201701209041436569.pdf

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 24, 2017

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Also, loving lol. Carson may have (slightly) hosed himself going to Trump's rally, yesterday.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.a7a8b40f37b4

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

seiferguy posted:

The NES came out in the 80s :colbert:

Yeah, but RBI Baseball 3 came out in '91. :colbert:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

the old ceremony posted:

friends, i need you all to know that i love israel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6EmhFHNKYU&t=60s

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Office Pig posted:

Hey, remember those ICE operations left up and running during the hurricane?
https://twitter.com/GQMagazine/status/902338632345845760

All the other federal law enforcement agencies hate ICE and HSI.

• Locked thread