Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

OP needs more orb photoshops.

Also put https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/ in OP too please thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/867093598650720256

This is another stupid loving angle the Republicans keep trying to get soundbites for during these open hearings, along with "I've seen no evidence"

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

As much as we complain about echo chambers and the increasing partisan divide in the country, what the gently caress are we supposed to do about it? That woman in Walmart is the norm. Every time I make the mistake of glancing at the comment section of a news article that involves race, I see a bunch of people like her. These people are loving gross, and it's seriously depressing to interact with them.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Huzanko posted:

They're not the norm. They're a self-selecting group of people with nothing better to do than comment on random internet articles and YouTube videos. They have less to do than even the saddest, most pathetic goon.

Trump voters are only ~30% of the US population.

OK, I could have been clearer. I'm not saying they're the majority of the country. What I mean is that that's the face of modern conservatism. They aren't the shrieking fringe of their party.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hollismason posted:

The problem with a lot of those religious schools is it leaves students unprepared for college in many ways.

I went to a private "college prep" religious school. We did not offer AP courses (too small? Poor planning? IDK). Our school was only finally accredited in a rush just as our first seniors prepared to graduate. Our biology course textbook had a chapter about Noah's Flood instead of evolution. Instead of electives, we had a mandatory Bible class. I was nowhere near as prepared for college as my peers who went to regular public schools. Religious schools are a blight.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Prester Jane posted:

Anyone got a link to my thread on Accelerated Christian Education? It seems very appropriate to this conversation. (Hell, would it be worthwhile to re-post that thread and touch up the OP a bit?)

Honestly I've always been able to relate to your anecdotes. The cult vibes were very strong in that school, without being quite so centralized -- everyone still went to their own different church at the end of the week.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

mynnna posted:

I've just been assuming that he figured that if Trump was going to fire Comey regardless that it'd be better for him to oblige so as to allow him the time to make that appointment.

I don't understand how anyone can accomplish anything Russia-related at the DoJ with Sessions in charge. Even after his recusal, it doesn't seem like he'd just ignore people who are actively trying to undermine him.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Chard posted:

First off, I agree with your last point in general. However I also went to a religious college prep school and it was great, excellent teachers, no prayer in class, AP classes, and mandatory comparative world religion courses. I was definitely better-prepared than my public school peers (not that this prevented me from becoming the huge fuckup I am today!) My point is that when done properly, religious organizations can do education just fine, but I also have zero faith that this holds true in the vast majority of cases.

Jesuits are alright in my book.

We're probably talking about different kinds of "religious." My school was primarily Evangelical, which isn't even in the same realm as most Catholic/Episcopal/Unitarian institutions.

But yeah the issue is lack of accountability, centralized oversight, common standards, etc. that you find in public schools (which, to be fair, can also be abysmal). Schools should not have that much discretion.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Apoplexy posted:

There is absolutely no way any time prior to this has been as bad as this. 20% of the country is heavily-armed, psychotic, and willing to go to full-scale genocidal civil war on a moment's notice.

Japanese internment, Trail of Tears, American Civil War, black slavery, Jim Crow, backlash to civil rights movement, Vietnam War, Great Depression, Dust Bowl, pre- women's suffrage, Iraq War, etc etc

Don't get me wrong -- we're at a pretty low point right now -- but we haven't sunk to an all-time low yet.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hobo Clown posted:

A friend on Facebook the other day posted a question asking "How has Trump personally affected you in the last 123 days?" to make the point that everyone is overreacting about Trump & the Republicans. If anyone posted something like "They're trying to take away my health care", "They're destroying the planet" he'd respond with this smug "I'm not talking about what MIGHT happen, I'm talking about NOW. People are getting hysterical and nothing is changing!"

Yeah, there's an asteroid hurtling straight toward Earth, but has it actually wiped out the human race yet? That's what I thought. :smug:

e:

Yeah, there's a gun to your face, but has he pulled the trigger yet? Uh huh. Checkmate. :smug:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Pander posted:

what kind of mental gymnastics are required to wear both Nazi and American paraphernalia at the same time?

It's like being a marxist member of the illumanati or something.

White people are all in this together, but sometimes we have misunderstandings. I'm confident that one day all white people will get along.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

Just like how all black people get along, right?

I can't tell if people are taking me seriously or not :(

Just in case: I was pretending to quote an American Nazi.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Lightning Lord posted:

So can the GOP just hold the rest of the country (and in some ways, the world) hostage forever? It doesn't seem sustainable.

Well it's not gonna last forever. US politics have always swung back and forth, but with a preference for conservatism.

I think they're overextended currently. Their coalition is becoming less relevant (whites, evangelicals, patriarchy), so they've carved out a position as the opposition party. It was wrong of people to assume that increasing diversity and shifting generations had made Democratic dominance a sure thing in the near future, but the GOP can't continue forever as it is now. Voter suppression, gerrymandering, money, and back-into-a-corner rage are currently fueling the GOP. Trump is the manifestation of that. It's not sustainable.

They don't have a real platform for governing. Being in power and in the spotlight has showed that they don't even want to be there. It's not going to reflect well on them in the upcoming elections, and it seems like left-leaning voters have decided they have to do more than just show up and vote every couple of years.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

The right are dismantling the means of ever swinging that pendulum back again. They've normalized every single form of aberrant behavior demonstrated by Trump and their other candidates, including violence against women and reporters. They've normalized treason. They've normalized consigning literally millions of Americans to death.

The right's leaders literally have no reason to renounce any of their shitheads, no matter how bad the behavior. I believe that if a senior right wing politician were indicted on child molestation charges the leadership would stand by them all the way to the prison entrance.

"Disturbing if true.."
"Let the people decide..."
"The Liberal media..."
"Need to get all the facts..."
"The Intolerant Left..."

Yeah, they're trying, but it's a desperate effort by a shrinking coalition that knows it can no longer win by numbers alone. It seems like anyone's guess as to whether crooked tactics and entrenched power will ultimately dominate the majority will of the country

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

RuanGacho posted:

You're not wrong about Fox news but television itself is losing effectiveness.

When was the last time you took a local news story seriously? I'm going to be surprised if the dynamics of local reporting dont significantly change as local government entities gain the ability to connect directly with constituents.

Local tire shop fails to rotate tires after claiming it had. We went undercover to investigate. Tune in at 10 to WSGTTBFOXTV63 for the latest breaking news.

BarbarianElephant posted:

I'd be very surprised if it was, since the Constitution doesn't really address benefits or drugs, both being largely unknown back then.

Thomas Jefferson was addicted to laudanum, I think.

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 26, 2017

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

I mean, I guess he has to keep his side of the deal somehow

Putin can probably do far worse to him than the US government ever will.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Have y'all read Trump's stupid-rear end Ramadan statement yet? Whoever wrote it tried so hard to follow the formula. Still couldn't help but betray 1:1 mental association of Islam and terrorism.

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/868129758906908675

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

I have more sympathy for the CSA than many here I expect but the Lost Cause is a lot cause now. I remember back when the Confederate Flag was taken down in South Carolina a couple years ago...and nobody cared. I mean, relatively nobody. I love the South, warts and all, and the idea they are all a bunch of Confederate apologists is just not true. Undoubtedly a small minority are but the olden days are quickly slipping away. The old guard and die-hards are still in positions of power so poo poo like this happens but the average Southerner growing up? I don't think they much care. The Confederacy was for their grandfathers and now even their great grandfathers.

Maybe I'm too optimistic but I would forecast that in 20 or so years when we have new generation of politicians in charge, the last remnant of this stuff will dry up.

I still see a lot of Confederate sympathy, but that's purely anecdotal. The fact that monuments and flags are being removed at all is a sign of real change.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Jesus III posted:

Just quit maintaining and cleaning them.

It seems someone has spilled yellow paint all over General Lee. Shame we can't do anything about it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I like the 40 year stipulation in the Alabama law. It's pretty much acknowledgement that a multitude of Confederate monuments went up right before that, and gee I wonder why that was???

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I was gonna say that it's pretty neat/awful watching the diplomacy of the last 70+ years unravel in real time, but it's not really real time. We're fast forwarding. In just the last few weeks we've betrayed British and Israeli intelligence, failed to pledge adherence to NATO mutual defense, and dropped out of the UN climate accord (rumored, but uhh). We're cozying up to our largest enemy of the last ~60 years (after getting duped by them in the election) while alienating our most serious allies, and the whole world knows that we elected a mentally deficient crook. And that's not even getting into all the domestic issues.

I can't even imagine what the world will look like if this keeps up for the next four years.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It would be really funny if in 2020 Trump won the popular vote but lost the EC.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

evilweasel posted:

It wouldn't be funny if trump won the popular vote but lost the ec because that wouldn't be the shattering defeat of trumpism we're going to need to regain any credibility on the international stage. Which also might require public floggings of Republican Senators who collaborated, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Gotta ignore the greater implications and focus on the fact that he would frame and hang the vote count in his home (which would not be the white house) next to his EC map from 2016.

Nothing is funny right now if you really think about it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

TyrantWD posted:

This is the most likely scenario, with the Democrats also losing ground in the Senate. I also don't have the optimism some have about 2020. Whoever the Democrats run in 2020 will be a candidate that likely only excites one wing of the party, and they are going to run on a platform of increasing taxes, increasing regulation, and taking a more conciliatory tone when dealing with the rest of the world. I think we are in for one party rule until 2022 at the earliest.

A cardboard cutout is neck-and-neck in GA-06 right now. You're underestimating how much people want to vote against Republicans at the moment.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I don't know how Spicer gets up there (almost, sort of) every day and does this job. It has to be so depressing.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You know you're giving a bad answer to "How much longer will we be in Iraq, and can we win?" when your answer includes "He met with the Pope."

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

Yeahhhhhhh that seems like a death blow for Booker.

Well we can hope. I don't think it will stop him from running. I really don't want to vote for him.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what happend? why did he flee.

The press corps started chanting "SPICER NO SPICING" at him in unison.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

USAA had pulled its ads from Hannity's show, but now I see that they've reversed that. Shame, I was really proud of my bank for a minute.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

Am I the only person that doesn't know why USAA advertises?

I...don't really know.

I guess they still have to convince people that it's worth switching to them. USAA is also available to family members who might not be aware.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

It's so obviously beyond worth switching.

The military is nothing if not capable of spreading information about how to benefit from their status, so I really don't have any idea how anyone who could have USAA doesn't at this point.

Yeah, USAA is great. I spent years with Wachovia/Wells Fargo, and I can't believe I'm actually happy with a bank now.

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/TimAlberta/status/869919926328451072

there's not enough pointless cruelty in the world that could make me sorry for priebus

It's interesting to see how winning/power/governing actually seems to be harming a lot of top Republicans.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Harrow posted:

I'm starting to reach a point where I feel like Nothing Matters, but not in a political sense. I just wonder why the gently caress I'm trying to do anything at all in my daily life because it's all going to poo poo anyway. Why bother working hard at my job or trying to start a new career when the whole country's going to implode and our government is making goddamn sure that we're going to do as much irreparable damage to the world as possible on our way down.

Try to enjoy your life and make the most of it. People have always been lovely, and life has always been cruel. Most of us are in better shape now than we would have been at any previous point in history.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Wow, the news is seriously depressing right now. Conservatives are loving evil.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Welcome to GBS posted:

Has anyone else recently decided that becoming a first time gun owner is probably a good thing? Had that discussion yesterday with my family. I'm a self described pacifist, but I am increasingly of the opinion that self protection could become very important soon. I already have emergency supplies at home, butI figure that is kind of the next step.

What kind of scenario are you envisioning that would necessitate a gun? The Trumpstaffel isn't going to come knock down your door. We're facing much more mundane problems like being locked up for 10 years over a bag of pot, the dissolution of the social safety net, death to preventable disease, and the slow death of the planet to climate change.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Welcome to GBS posted:

I find it interesting how many of you think that owning a gun will make me less safe. I already have blunt self defense weapons, but where I live (NotPortland-Oregon) literally everyone has a gun, except for the exceedingly liberal types, and even they often own guns as well. In this kind of environment I really don't want to be the only one who can't defend myself.

To you goons who are afraid of self harm, I hadn't really ever considered that. Stay strong.

You still haven't clarified why you would need one though...

If you're worried about a home invasion, get a dog, install a security system, put in proper outdoor lighting, and get to know your neighbors (exchange phone numbers, etc). "The bad guy wants to shoot me, so I'll shoot him first" mentality is really dangerous.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

glowing-fish posted:

Seven bedrooms doesn't seem that extravagent. I mean, a standard house has three bedrooms, so this was about double normal size? And two million dollars in an urban real estate market doesn't seem to be too much.

I mean, I think their point was that he grew up in upper-middle class surburbia, not owning private islands in the Carribean. It seems like that might be the upbringing that someone whose parents were doctors, lawyers or successful professionals might have?

Seven bedrooms is nuts, dude.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

LaserShark posted:

Because nobody lives in Wisconsin. Anyone who says they do are a statistical anomaly that can be ignored.

Aren't we talking about the constitutional convention though? The population isn't important. We're like 4 states away from having a Republican-led convention that will doom us for eternity (I assume).

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Drone posted:

We've all seen how he eats and what his lifestyle is like. Left to his own devices, his body will crap out in no more than 10.

That's gonna be a really good day, and I think we'll all still be around to celebrate it. :)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

*Pause for barely audible clapping*

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Radish posted:

The GOP is no joke the biggest world threat right now because it's being fueled entirely by white rage and the only ethos it has left is gently caress everyone else. It only knows how to lash out in anger and do damage. They have no productive plans whatsoever.

ISIS at least wants to build a state.

• Locked thread