Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

RuanGacho posted:

Our policy must go beyond being partisan. We must make policy because they do the right thing for everyone, the poison they use against collectivism is the whole concept that it is somehow impossible for a collective to come to a better conclusion than an individual. This concept is frankly counter to our aspired ideals.

This is a good goddamn post! Our aspired ideals are asserted collectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

kartikeya posted:

of DaVinci

To save you from pedantry later, some now. Saying DaVinci is like saying from Chicago.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

empty whippet box posted:

If your point was to say he should have a space between da and vinci, you didn't make that point very clear. If your point was something else, I'm genuinely mystified as to what it could be.

Referring to Leonardo as "daVinci" is just saying " of Vinci". The daVinci part is just where he was from and born not a last name.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ogmius815 posted:

His point is that da Vinci means from Venice and isn't really a name. But everyone knows who "da Vinci" refers to and only an annoying pedantic medievalist like BrandorKP could possibly care.

Nah this is this art history interest from decades ago. I'll have you know I could ID random impressionist works by artist in early middle school.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 3, 2017

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

skylined! posted:

the of vinci code

There are many phenomenally dumb things in those books.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

More Brooks:

Donald Trump Poisons the World https://nyti.ms/2rxKot7

As usual his framing is good, but he will inevitably reach the worst possible conclusion in a subsiquent op ed.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Boon posted:

This is so odd to me. Why is capitalism and progressivism perceived to be at odds in achieving a functioning society?

A concerted effort by the wealthy on the right since FDR to spread ideology that sees it that way. That and our ideal of freedom being pushed towards individual freedom instead of collective freedom.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I was thinking back to the Clinton years and Bill having to testify to a grand jury. I suppose that could happen to Trump if the house flips....

I hope Simpsons poo poo posting is still a thing of it does. I can't get "When the piss fan's testifying the GOP believes" out of my head.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

The Democrats absolutely need to have a response to the loss of the ACA that's more comprehensive and concrete than "we'll make things better if you vote for us."

I think there are a lot of people that if the ACA goes away move to: "well gently caress it single payer is the only answer then"

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Trump and the True Meaning of ‘Idiot’ https://nyti.ms/2tbIcoK

Goddamn!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I'm hearing it's nothing. Details smell like they were made up by an idiot. Some reports are saying it was made up by a YouTube conspiracy theorist.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

A 1NM safety zone sounds pretty extreme to me, but I know literally nothing about port operations so maybe this is just normal "better safe than sorry" procedure.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Jj7JYJiueTUzzvw

Everything you ever wanted to know about how far away from a hazardous materials incident you should get you can find in there by UN number of the haz. Most everything you could think of hazardous wise has set evacuation distances.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ogmius815 posted:

See if you make up words that don't mean anything and write too goddamn much there's a certain class of people who will think you are smart. See also: Eripsa, Heidegger.

There are a substantial number of people in D&D with severe lack of understanding how people with learning differences work. I realize this is a large category " learning differences" but I've seen some really dumb takes. Working on an OP.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Ben Sasse also thinks that preservatives and "red dye" (???) in our food are the causes for the increase in ADHD.

This one is an actual thing. R40 and B6 made me go into manic-depressive until puberty. Can't use it in Europe because of this. Research however is unclear it's not a large population it affects and it is very hard to study.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Eltoasto posted:

Is there any conceivable way this happened that doesn't involve the radar operator on the destroyer sleeping on the job?

One of the ships involved can stop in a ship length. The other is a container vessel. I bet the poor Filipinos on the container ship were just going nuts on the radio.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Bizarro Watt posted:

So is a Canadian going to write a song about this one too?

Fun fact: There are multiple forums members who know people who sailed on the Edmund Fitzgerald (obviously not at the time it was lost)

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

People think in stories. A D win would would be good for the changes in the narratives in people's head it would result in.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Confounding Factor posted:

If one of my posts caused someone to kill themselves I would literally be in a nuthouse right now.

Emotional states are contagious and feedback.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Glazier posted:

And when you lose in 2018? Then what? What about 2020 when Trump will be reelected in a landslide, what then?

Continue shoveling sand with a spoon.

Nothing that is worth doing can be achieved in our lifetime; therefore we must be saved by hope.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

boner confessor posted:

and the only place they can exercise some control. it's like a toddler throwing their toys

What are you feeling?
How did you react?
What are the consequences?
What is the acceptable way to act?

Thread needs some parenting.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The people saying we are all hosed aren't wrong. The response they have to we are all hosed is.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

They champ at bits.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ogmius815 posted:

Narcissistic personality disorder is a clinical disorder and being a mental patient raised by a cult does not make you competent to diagnose it, especially in someone you have never met.

People with brain differences see and experience the world differently. It may not be obvious to them why you don't.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Thaddius the Large posted:

I love this so much. "Look, the poors live like us, it's like they think they're people!"

Would this thread have poo poo on FDR when he did the same in Georgia?

I have no desire to see Zuckerberg run. My comment is more about us.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 24, 2017

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Autism Sneaks posted:

gently caress off BKP, maybe try making another thread about how huge of snowflakes you and your spawn are

Straight to personal attacks. Dun posting gud. Zuckerberg is terrible but there isn't anything wrong with anyone attempting to understand others. It's interesting how much you seem not to like that.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

loving lol if you think Zuckerberg is trying to (or is actually interested in) understanding others.

The whole thing is an effort in optics. That's it.

Like every rich rear end in a top hat, Zuckerberg has strong opinions about how things should work, and understands that in order to get elected he first needs to jump through various hoops designed to shape the public's opinion of him. This whole Iowa thing is one of those hoops.

Most people want to change the world for the better. Even rich assholes like the Kochs. An example :

"But basically I was blessed starting at an early age to have learned certain principles, concepts and values that transformed my life and enabled me to accomplish more than I ever dreamed possible. Since that time I wanted to give as many people the opportunity to do the same. That is: to develop their full potential and become lifelong learners and lead successful fulfilling lives. Now, when somebody gets that thought in their mind and that’s what they’re thinking about every day, that affects their whole approach to life. They think, “I want to do that in my family. I want to do that in my communities.” - Charles Koch

Zuckerberg could do a tremendous amount of harm. But most who enter the morass poo poo storm of politics, do so because they are idealists with egos.

Current president excepted he's a moron and ego.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 24, 2017

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Stress is terrible for a body and can gently caress one up pretty drat quick. Fat, LDL, blood pressure, sleep, it can mess with everything.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Rust Martialis posted:

Millennials: other people had it worse and whined less about it you annoying babies.

"Just don't have it in them" from "And Keep Your Powder Dry" an example of the WWI generation's attitude of the WWII generation.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

They won't understand and they won't care.

It's very hard to understand if you are spoken to with concepts you haven't internalized.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

That's the context of hope.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

Isn't Donnie's ocd so great that he throws homemade chicken and burgers at the wall because it isn't KFC/McDs?

>wake up at 2 PM
>subconsciously poo poo in my bathrobe while sleeping
>scream at the top of my lungs PPPPRIIIEEEEBBBUUUUUSSSS!!!!
>Bannon silently lurks into the doorway of my room
>y-y-y-es Mr. President?
> Wash this and fetch me KFC!
>Bannon silently weeps and walks over with a fresh bathrobe.
>start tweeting and flailing my arms because I have been criticised on the tele by the meanies
>start to screech while Priebus tries to not have another mental break down session
>start chanting "KFC yummy, yummy for my tummy" SAD!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

He was a Bircher too. Soooooo, basically every right wing poo poo head you can think of will be connected to him.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Someday sooner than I'd like, it's likely at least one of my parents will need medicaid if they end up needing nursing home care.

Thing are as bad as the doomsayers think. People will die if the Republicans are sucessful in healthcare. Hell some posters in this thread might. Tariffs might cause a depression. Things could get really loving bad. Climate is so depressing I won't even read the thread about it.

But the end of the world isn't. There are things to take heart in. But they do not lessen or mitigate how bad things go. But it isn't the correct response to dwell and stew and wallow drepressedly. We should be motivated to action. gently caress me I'm staring at the prospect having decided to volenteer with the dems for 2018. I've attempted to convince those close to me to do the same.

Keep loving moving. Our fascists have played thier hand and outed themselves (and they are fantastically stupid.) If hope is absent one must be it. If nothing matters, then one must choose what matters and live it. Emotions and thoughts are infectious. Be and say what you think the world needs and gently caress caring what others think about that. That's how to respond to this situation not sad sacking.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

To each his own I guess. I personally look forward to every day even more now. Seeing what kinds of stupid, horrible poo poo will happen next is pretty exciting. Watching the optimists cling on to hope is icing on the cake.

It's a shame George Carlin is dead. Could you at least be a funny as he was about it?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

What the flying gently caress.

That requires Congressional authorization. I think it unlikely.

What are the powers of the USTR?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

Bad news shouldn't paralyze you.

But it does for many people. Just shuts them right down. And that's not something wrong with them.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Mustached Demon posted:

Tell them how pissed off Koch would be paying 40% more for steel.

Charles just was interviewed by freaknomics... they would not be a fan of tariffs. They would also probably benefit from them. Not steel specifically but just the across the board general tariffs Bannon wants.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Mustached Demon posted:

How would they benefit from tariffs when they rely on raw materials being cheap?

They are in the energy business. They also are into every loving thing else you can think of. You likely buy Koch products. Hell if you are in a room with carpet you might be on a Koch product right now. They also make them here, mostly. He said they would benefit.

The weight carries depends of if ones thinks they are liars or true believers.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Mustached Demon posted:

Yeah they make nylon for instance. I'm trying to think how they'll benefit since so much raw material is foreign sourced.

They are involved with many of the raw material too. I have personally seen that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ora Tzo posted:

So wait Trump is actually going to raise tariffs and trigger that future recession people keep saying is coming?

Who knows? They keep talking about doing it. Bannon wants it so loving bad. Real money will go apeshit: Are you goddamn crazy? If they try...

• Locked thread