Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
My only gripe is the AI is dumb as gently caress. I ran mediums + battlemaster. I gave the AI an Atlas, Jaegermech (Which by the way is nassssssty as gently caress holy poo poo), Centurion Locust.

I setup a basic firing line with a centurion out front to soak. Locust runs in and gets blown up almost immediately, Centurion runs in and gets mauled half to death before the Jaeger comes in to support it and proceeds to gently caress poo poo up, Atlas? Homeboy sits at LRM range and plinks away at me. This let me wipe out the other two mechs forcing the Atlas to engage at which point, I had 3 (And eventually 2) mechs to 1.

If the AI had held up with the locust, and pushed the atlas/cent/jaeger at the same time I'd have had some seriously tough decisions to make. But that's not what played out at all. Just a shooting gallery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah I'll throw in that I'm seeing this A LOT too. The Atlas in particular seems to only be used for its lrms by the AI. I've never seen one lead the charge, only loiter in the rear pretending to be a fat trebuchet.

poo poo two matches ago I had an AI atlas indirect firing while a trebuchet got close enough to my line to get gutted by a hunchback. Fucker really wanted to use those medium lasers I guess.

I finally had one lead the charge and it wrecked my team bad.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
The Centurion is really turning out to be a MVP, and I'm in love with the battlemasters ability to just beat the hell out of things at mid range. I do not like the vindicator at all though.

EDIT: And I'm really liking the treb for LRM spam. I like the Cat too, but given a choice between a treb or a cat and being able to up the tonnage on another lancemate, the treb wins.

First thing I do in campaign is going to be doing something with that heat load though.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

First campaign mission I"m putting Vdub and Skoll in twin locusts and doing pirouettes in front of a heavy tank.

Mr. Bibbs in an armor stripped atlas that only walks backwards.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

If only the mechs I fight still had arms after I'm done. At least I'd never run out of legs. :toot:

I'm envisioning an urbanmech with legs glued on where it's arms should be just using that 360 torso twist to walk around the field kicking people, non stop.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I've unironically been putting multitarget on Orions and it has been pretty nice to launch volleys of LRM's to far targets while still blatting the upclose targets w/everything else. It's not unusual to designiate it's LRM's and my LRM boats to just keep something like an awesome on it's butt for the entire match.

If evasion gets nerfed for assaults it would probably turn into a decent choice for the Atlas as well.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

kingcom posted:

Well after the 4SW the cappies couldnt make anything heavier than a Vindicator so I'm not sure how much that means. Also Gray's Death Legion had a Highlander in it aswell. The accurate description is always 'there are only a handful of these floating around at the moment not a specific number' when it comes to the out of production mechs. Plus there is literally an unlimited number of undiscovered star league weapon caches and potentially family heirloom mechs of star league origin if the game is set in a Periphery state. You know the region that had the most star league mechs lost in combat as they all made the periphery join the star league by force.

Davis McCall or whatever his name was literally manufactured his Highlander himself after getting the info from the memory core according to fluff.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Gwaihir posted:

This is basically the essence of "How to win battletech.txt" anyhow~! (combined with make my dice odds better than his")

Well I mean if they continue to steal from x-com as they clearly have been all you will have to do in this situation is chuck out a mimic beacon or have a mech throw out his smoke grenade.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Bolow posted:

Rooks earned their place on my team in the original XCOM. :colbert:

"Ok Rookie here's a shock baton and a stun grenade on a deadman's switch. You're either going to capture that Ethereal, or you're gonna die and we're gonna capture it anyway. Don't suck."

The real X-com option is the rookie then immediately gets psi-panicked and drops the stun grenade next to the squad.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

The issue with nerds is that they think consumption of media and being a big enough fan gives them some degree of ownership. You see this all the time with pretty much any property that has a following. You can't throw a rock on the internet without hitting some butt-hurt hyper Star Wars or Star Trek nerd absolutely incensed about how this that or the other thing is ruining his space opera.

Dudes thinking rolling dice in their basement for a couple decades gives them a greater say in how the franchise is developed than the literal man who invented it is absolutely par for the course.

Never really understood this mentality. I'm a big pretty much any big sci-fi property nerd.

I really disliked the Yuzahn Vong or whatever the hell they were called that Star Wars EU introduced, so I just didn't buy those books. Problem solved. I can't fathom the kind of person that would literally buy every single one of those books and angrily work through each page, veins bulging in their forheads, spittle flying from their lips as they hiss the words "Lightsabers can cut through ANYTHING. ANYTHING!"

These are the kind of people that use multiple exclamation points in every day posting. And they are crazy.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Here's hoping they get multiplayer skirmish up and running. There's only so many bot skirmishes sans narrative hook/campaign style play I can handle before getting a bit bored.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Skoll posted:

No. I have permanent sad brains and my liquor money is all gone.

knock over a liquor store like a proper degenerate then.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

isildur posted:

i guess, since I'm writing all the remaining procedural content, there's nothing that stops me from putting stupid memes everywhere, is there? well now

Just put in a cheat code that turns all mini portraits into random pictures of birds.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Viva Miriya posted:

im good tbqh

Same. Skirmish got old about 10 hours in. I’m ready for the campaign.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I mean I could theoretically enjoy multiplayer but something tells me it's going to devolve into lovely custom optimized gimmick matches like mechcommander did around in the middle of it's multiplayer life.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Q_res posted:

There's a 'Stock Mechs Only' option you can toggle for PVP and there's a ton of crusty, old TT grognards on the official forums who have already declared this is the only way they'll ever play. So you should be covered. :c00l:

Plus, Mech customization is going to be pretty restrictive, and we still don't know how it's going to affect Mechs in terms of PVP Cbill values.

I'm not a grognard, but super optimized builds really turns the game into bullshit unfun gimmicks. Like in MC it would be LRM+JJ builds that would just wall hop any time anything got LOS, and the entire match would be nothing but LRMS flying over walls, jumpjetting over walls. It was pretty terrible.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Q_res posted:

I wasn't saying you were one, just letting you know that Stock Only is an option and a somewhat popular one. If being a bit of a wiseass while saying it.

Oh nah, I wasn't accusing you of anything, just using your post as a springboard to expand my point.

BadAstronaut posted:

Oh I'll be *happy* to move on if I only get 25-30 hours of good fun out of it. More is better - currently on 94 hours of XCOM 2 after having played the original, the first batch of DLC and now a War of the Chosen run. :)

I really want to love WoTC but once you kill the last chosen the "Victory Lap" becomes real because the chosen weapons are insanely good.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Zaodai posted:

This game is literally going to have the open-ended mercenary campaign where it is generating missions you can take, and as posted above by other people, that will include missions from the Directorate once the story concludes. Doing it that way in the past is not really a good reason to continue doing it in the future, not as its own reason.

The reason to do it is they had a story they wanted to tell within the framework. The only way to turn this into a cyoa merc company game that still has a narrative beat is either invest a truckload of dev time into writing branching paths or leave you to the whims of a Tom Clancy story generator Frankensteined into a radiant engine style random mission generator.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Sky Shadowing posted:

Linux will cause salt because yeah that means if you are Linux only you can't play the game, which is completely fair to get salty about.

Mind you I'm saying this as a person who started his professional career as a linux admin. They need to get over it already and just loving install windows. Getting poo poo running in linux is fine and dandy as a showcase of your technical skills, but honestly it's a lovely platform for gaming and always will be.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

isildur posted:

gently caress, i hope you all aren't too disappointed. :derp: I mean I really like my game and I think it's awesome but I think it's probably not as good as your anticipation is making it seem. Just, you know. Have realistic expectations!

I really like robots.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Harmony Golds license runs out in 3 years so they are probably going to continue milking any lawsuits that they can.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This sort of thing is what they're considering AFAIK, iron man with various settings as toggles.

Licensed from someone who turned out to not have proper sublicensing rights, I believe was the source of the issue?

More like the people they licensed it from licensed it to HG with distribution rights to the US then relicensed individual designs to FASA which created a conflict.

From my understanding FASA could still use the designs provided they didn’t mind being litigated to death.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Dramicus posted:

Everything being said, It would be cool if tanks and other vehicles played a role in the early game where you can barely afford one lovely light mech and are forced to make up the difference with other vehicles and perhaps power-armored infantry. I have fond memories of the clix game and supporting my one good mech with whatever other trash I could scrape together.

There are no power armored infantry at this point. Just jump troopers.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Psion posted:

you tell that to all the nerds screaming that a Black Knight can't be in this game because there were only 5 across the entire inner sphere, period, forever, that number is set in stone and unchangeable also their 3025 campaign just discovered another castle brian because they want DHS and gauss rifles

also in seriousness, as far as I know 3025 and 3025 revised are the two sources for this era? Are there others?

e: I should explain, I'm a believer in more is better. So I don't personally hold up TRO 3025 as the holy grail by which all is to be judged, because I never got into TT and i also believe creators can extend and expand their universes even after publishing a book that's "further along" the timeline than 3025 - that is, they can go back and retroactively change things. I think that's healthy and good even if TRO 3039/3050/etc exist. but I also know a lot of people do care about that kind of stuff. :shrug:

I think the setting works better if you assume the TRO’s are “Most likely to see” mechs. Mainly because of the whole ancient half broken down backwater mechwarrior nobility thing in the pre 3050 setting. You just know that there’s some minor Viscount somewhere who’s in charge of some “rear end in a top hat of the commonwealth” planet who’s only useful export is like one retarded breed of fish who protects his fiefs riches with a Mackie that has half the armor stripped off and a large laser in place of the PPC.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

Can someone explain to me how crits work in Battletech (pref in HBS Battletech but TT would be ok also) since I was under the impression that they only started to happen after you stripped armour, but I've seen people talk about "through armour crits" so I assume that my original assumption was wrong and I also know nothing about what crits actually do other than they can disable weapons and make ammo blow up.

Think of a thru armor crit as spalling maybe from a fluff perspective.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Raged posted:

Watching his stream now and he is horrible at the game. Currently on minute 5 or 6 of him deciding a single move. He honestly makes the game look bad.

Watching him play is honestly infuriating.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Ratzap posted:

Hmmm, Eriadni horse fuckers may be free though.

The Kookens Pleasure Pit Fat Horse shall ride upon the morrow.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Mordja posted:

What's "stackpoling"? I get that it's a reference to the author, I just don't know what the reference is.

Mech goes nuclear.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Zore posted:

So the first tier guts skill is amazing for anyone you want to put into a relatively immobile or mid-range Mech. Get it on just about everyone except people you're building as dedicated Light pilots or flanker/mobile supports.

For my MC I went with Guts 1/Tactics 2. The second Tactics skill helps a lot if you want to use a heavier mech and Sensor Lock is a decent skill.

Honestly the only skills I really think are worth it are Piloting 1 and 2 (absolutely fantastic and make piloting a Light or quick Medium a solid choice) Tactics 2, and Guts 1.

Gunner 1 is situational and should be somewhere in your squad too. Guts 2 can also be powerful but falls off the heavier your opponents are, I probably would have switched the guts perks myself since 2 feels way more like an early game perk and 1 is basically the best perk in the game.

So really I would say the builds I recommend are

Guts 1/Tactics 2- Dedicated Assault pilot especially with LRMs.

Piloting 2/Tactics 1- Light pilot or other fast mech pilot

Guts 1-2/Gunnery 1-2- Someone who pilots a mech bristling with guns

Gunnery is amazing when you have an assload of vehicles light mechs or armor stripped mechs on field.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Lord Koth posted:

The "go trigger this trap" missions have been interesting. First mission had a Stalker (which I actually pilot-killed, but annoyingly enough the contract didn't have an option for a triple salvage pic so I only got two parts). Second one I took had me attacked by the "ambush" lance like 2 turns in, well before I'd even found the bait. ...Eventually a vehicle blip moving in the assault phase finally appeared slowly moving towards me after I'd already mostly worked through the lance - yeah, it was a Demolisher. And funnily enough, Demolishers really aren't terribly dangerous with no support against people who outrange them.

Also I'm past the prison break mission and still don't have a Heavy, so it's perfectly doable if you're careful. Also haven't lost a pilot yet, though come close a few times.

I keep doing these in hopes there's an assault I can chain stagger till the pilot dies, but I keep getting dumb poo poo. Like the last one was a shrek PPC carrier and a lance of lights that I rolled hard. Still a million C-bills is a Million C-bills.

Also I don't feel skulls are indicative of poo poo. I've done a 3.5 skull mission that is nothing but random lights led by a medium (That one I just mentioned) then you roll onto a 2.5 story mission that throughs multiple heavies at you.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Perestroika posted:

Speaking of the Dragon, any fun ideas for a refit? I've been thinking of loading it up on jump jets, SRMs, and a couple of MGs, to use it like a heavier Shadow Hawk to jump around and punch things.

Mines flamers srms and jump jets + more armor. It’s a fair bit tankier than my old shad and seems faster. Between heat shutdowns and knockdowns it’s a mech capturing beast.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
So morale bonuses really stack up. Before I went to bed last night I played a contract that amounted to every 3rd shot being a called shot. And this is how my medium + punch dragon lance beat the hell out of a heavy lance while taking only armor damage.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

pokie posted:

Yeah, it just seems like a big risk to take less money for may be getting a mech. Although now that I have a few mil in the bank, it makes more sense to take this gamble.

BTW, does anyone have a rule of thumb for when one should give up rewards for faction rep?

I mean if I bargain for 3+ pieces I’m probably getting a mech, unless the mission is loaded with locusts or something. Bad luck will happen (rip K2 I was chain kicking). But even then I got another cent.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Mazreal posted:

Spoilers for later in the story most people here are talking about : That Star League base raid mission seemed impossible until I restarted and just sprinted up to the base with all my dudes and took out the turrets asap. It was still hard but managed to squeak by after ejecting Glitch out of an almost dead husk of a Centurion. The second part was good fun and the 90 ton Highlander you get after is so good and never overheats, completely upgraded what kind of missions I can handle. Can't wait to get more huge mechs.

Let me show you what to do with that mech I'm spoiling it since it has some uh gear on it that may be a spoiler?

I call it the "Sit the gently caress down". It will load just about any mech up in the game with enough stability damage that they will promptly have a lie down, does enough damage that called shots to the center torso just blip out most bad guys, AND since everything is long range you can keep it WAY the hell away from things that might blow it up because some of the stuff on it is literally irreplaceable.

EDIT: I probably put my ammo in dumb places, but it literally never gets touched.

RabidWeasel posted:

LRM5s are actually pretty great, it's just that because of hardpoints you can't stack enough of them to really get much done. LRMs in general feel bad until you start shooting 30+ of them at once, two mechs doing that can generally score a knockdown.

See my highlander build in this post. It scores knockdowns all by itself.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 27, 2018

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Magni posted:

So, just did Weldry and uh...

I can definitely live with that loot result. :haw:

Sell them and just use centurions. Those two barely qualify as heavy mechs and a centurion with an AC20 and 2 SRM6's will tear the rear end off of either one. The first good heavy mech you are likely to get is a dragon, which loving owns it must be said.

E: to put this in perspective, if I see a light mech with any evasion and a jaegermech on the field I'll kill the Jag first because it's the mech most likely to die in one or two salvos.

Centurion should be your workhouse mech because you can fit it out to be anything from an AC-20/SRM6 brawler to a LRM boat. I have a whole lance of the things in storage.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Apr 27, 2018

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Xarbala posted:

Note that the Summoner and Hellbringer are, design-wise, omnimech descendants of the IS Thunderbolt and Warhammer respectively. It's why the IS calls the Summoner a Thor (well it's the real reason, supposedly it's because of "Lightning" ERPPC and "Thunder" LB 10-X but that reads like a hastily-put-together after-the-fact in-fluff justification). The other nordic reporting names are because the Lyrans and Rasalhagans had a good theme going and decided that they were going to stick with it.

A while back PTN also pointed out that the Clan mechs tend to have really prominent gun arms, at least more than the IS does.

But yeah, the Vulture, Mad Cat, Warhawk, Daishi, STONE RHINO, Cauldron-Born, Turkina, all those big chickenwalkers are Clan. You occasionally get well-known humanoid designs like the Loki, Thor, Gargoyle, Kodiak, but not nearly as many as the IS has. And while the IS has its fair share of birbmechs, it doesn't have nearly as many varieties as the Clans. At least not until so many people are used to Clan designs in the IS that they decide it's a cool thing to get in on.

Also way late in the timeline, when Clan Jade Falcon goes completely batshit, they have a bunch of humanoid mechs themed to look like men wearing bird costumes. I could apply a metacommentary to it, but I won't. Clan Jade Falcon goes extremely loving batshit after killing off their Scientist caste post-Wars of Reaving.

Stone Rhino is actually an IS mech built by Ameris that never really worked. The clans just made it functional.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

pangstrom posted:

Multishot is useful rarely, and yeah it's also a great way to kill zero things instead of one thing. Sometiems when it is useful it means I screwed up positioning in previous turns and didn't focus fire enough.

Multi shot is great for LRM boats exploiting the stability meta.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Rookersh posted:

What's the strat for Evasive Movement? Even once you get your Evasion up through the tree skills, it's still trivial for your Lights to hit the cap every single time just through their basic moves, and using the reserve/Ace Pilot trickery means their Evasion should never really take hits anyway. My current Dekker took MT/SL and he'll hit his max Evasion still just wandering around doing Dekker things.

So it almost feels like it's built for a Heavy or Assault to get more Evasion, but why would I do that when I could grab Bulwark and become untouchable while I stand there and get hit.

Also with all the talk of how endgame is nothing but Assault lances, and how Lights completely drop out of the equation it seems it's better to just have my Light preplan for eventually becoming a Medium or a Heavy when needed then it is to grab a skill that might give me another pip of Evasion sometimes if I don't walk super far maybe.

I'd also argue Sensor Lock is a dump skill, in that you only ever want one person with Sensor Lock.

Highly mobile heavies like the grasshopper should never be bulwarked because their whole shtick is to jump in at point blank butt punching range with 5 pips and jump back out relatively unscathed after coring something out.
The grasshopper is really good and if you run all ML/SL cap armor and give it enough heat sinks to operate it will core just about any mech in the game with a buttshot called shot with 5 evasion pips and more armor than most assaults.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Night10194 posted:

ER Lasers are trash, replace them with real weapons that aren't made entirely of fire.

Yeah uh they are real bad. First thing you should do with them is take em off robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
It’s funny how the game goes from hard to easy. My endgame lance is a scout grasshopper with butt coring, a highlander with gauss + Stab damage ppc + lrm 20+15 a stalker with 80 racks of missiles and a king crab.

Unless the game chucks three lances of pure assaults at me nothing is scary because I can core out two mechs a turn and leave another two laying down.