Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Psion posted:

in success DLC was in the cards long before Paradox bought HBS so obviously the existence of any DLC demonstrates it's a Paradox game now. Somehow. :v:

(you're totally right)

actually you know what other game had DLC? XCOM. Paradox ripping off firaxis again!
Especially after their game was wildly successful when released, over four months ago! And they just announced a DLC! My heavens!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

CommunityEdition posted:

Could someone tell me, an ignorant slob, why the hatchetman has people excited?
Robots fighting each other in melee is Real Cool. Hitting a robot with a gigantic metal axe is even cooler. At least... that is the answer if you ask me.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Alchenar posted:

it's shows how Paradox are putting HBS into a place they weren't before.
This confuses me, too. What does their publisher have to do with them doing a DLC with a mech modeled in-house? How do you/we know that they werent already working on it before Paradox got involved, but shelved it for sake of time at some point?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mordja posted:

Because Paradox are know for putting out a lot of small DLC packs for their games? It's not a complaint, bruh, chill your pill.
Sorry, but Paradox the Publisher does not impose Paradox Development Studio's DLC model on their other publishees, so what you are saying makes no sense. The company that publishes Cities: Skylines didnt start pumping out DLC when Paradox became the Publisher so assuming that HBS is releasing a DLC because Paradox is their publisher is a bit anachronistic. Also, everyone does DLC these days, plus HBS said that they would definitely do DLC if the game was successful, plus they had to cut a lot in the months leading up to the game's release so there is probably plenty of material for them to work with. I'm not trying to be a jerk but it just seems like there are a lot of assumptions being made here.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mordja posted:

I mean...Steam lists 17 pieces of DLC for Cities Skylines, so they kind of did start pumping it out. Compare Battletech to how HBS handled Shadowrun where they made the first game followed by two large, standalone expansions/sequels, and for one reason or another they've changed their business model. Maybe because of Paradox's investments, maybe not, it doesn't matter because I was just making an off-the-cuff comment, not trying to disparage the game, the developer, or the publisher.
Fair enough. I didnt take it as you trying to disparage anyone and I'm not trying to start an argument about it. I guess I've just seen enough of the "hurrrr paradox DLC model" jokes so I said something about it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Lord Frisk posted:

What can I best do with two gauss rifles? Cause it's not worth it to put them in a king crab. Less damage and all that. (Assault only. I know I can run a paper jaeger)
The Gauss have way more range though. If I had two of 'em I would go King Crab all the way and I'm not sure what I would consider after that...

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Have they fixed that you cannot target legs when doing a called shot from behind yet?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

:cripes:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

pangstrom posted:

The idea there is that you are rewarded for getting behind a mech with hit options narrowed to the more-critical/less-armored ones. Agree you should BE ABLE to, but really if you're going after the legs then why get behind mechs? That didn't happen often on accident, when I played at least.
Thats not the point though. What if there is a brawl going on and the mech I am shooting with just happens to be behind an enemy mech with weak legs? WHat if I chasing down an assassination target? What if I flanked the mech and my other mechs, that also shot it in the rear, happened to hit the legs a bunch and I would rather target a leg to knock the target over and thus knock it back an initiative phase rather than simply weakening its rear armor? There is no sensible reason that I should not be able to chose to shoot something I can see; you can see the legs (and the arms!) of a mech from behind.

Agean90 posted:

I always wanted a little mini campaign for a mech warrior game where your just some scrub planetary commander who trying to fight off rebels and mercenaries using just tanks and vehicles and the while campaign is basically your side losing with you losing less hard
I would enjoy this too.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

That probably has to do with having Weisman on the case. So far a lot of their changes have been very good and they don’t seem easily swayed into breaking game balance due to complaints
I find it amazing and hilarious that the original creator of the franchise/IP is in change of the game design/company making the game, and people still bitch and moan like petulant children when a change they do not agree with (or understand (or care to understand)) is made.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Erd posted:

I haven't played the game since the initial release, can you customise the paint on an individual mech yet?
You've been able to do this since release? Or are we thinking different things?

Rygar201 posted:

You are drawing an awful lot of conclusions from two days and a handful of games.
Its Section Z, he's insane.

imweasel09 posted:

You're being way more creepy about this than the game is.
Its Section Z, he's insane.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Psycho Landlord posted:

I think most of that statement was directed the your few posts that made you come across as having a really unfortunate obsession with forcing one character in particular to experience large amounts of pain so you could hear her scream.

They were, in fact, creepy, and they made you look insane.
His reply to me saying that he is insane only helped prove my point. He's no Ham "HBS:BT is reskinned Xcom" Sandwiches and I dont hate him, but I admit I dont read many of his posts because they seem to go off the rails....often.

Anyway, about the game: I really enjoyed the base game while it was fresh but the announcement of the expansion and its contents really didnt get me excited at all. Does anyone else feel this way?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

After playing some tabletop Battletech with the new set that was released I kinda have the itch to play this again.

Can anyone fill me in on how performance, "Reinforcements" arriving on turn one in your rear firing arc after all your guys have moved, and weapon balance have changed over the past pbbbtt year?

Also how is the Flashpoints expansion? Is there a way to not do the lovely main campaign and play a version where the number of stars skulls on a mission actually matter rather than every mission being your one unsupported lance vs a company of mechs?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

If I remember correctly, Mechs have a weighting in the files that sets how often they are likely to appear.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

edit: oops

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 7, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ersatz posted:

I thought that it also had something to do with opfor. So, if you're always fighting against the same people, you'll likely run into the same types of mechs over and over again. I could be wrong.
The weighting is based on the faction, yes. Therefore Capellans are more like to have the Cataphract because it is their design.

Archonex posted:

Roguetech gushing
I have not followed HBS:BT since two or three months after the original release and Roguetech was this crazy mod that added all sorts of dumb tech and was overall pretty zany and way out of my interest because it went so far off the rails. Based on what you are saying that in the past year or whatever they have added the Whole loving Inner Sphere, changed how the player starts, and added all sorts of new mechanics and stuff?!?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Archonex posted:

Also, because the Clan's are basically the equivalent of your average gamer going "wtf, duel me 1v1 fag" while getting alpha'd by several IS mechs piloted by people who really don't give a gently caress about all this space honor nonsense.
Also because they only invaded with 4 Clans and even if they had brought all 19 the IS would still have had more armies of Battlemechs to throw at them, though obviously the Clans would probably have gotten farther before the IS got organized.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Archonex posted:

So I mentioned it before but Roguetech has a fully integrated Starmap that everyone can play on at once. With the war mod this means that everyone is fighting with the nations to take it over as independent mercenary companies (That can opt to sign up for a nation. But more on that later.).

If you go to the Star Map and click on stars you might notice a box in the bottom left that gives a name like (insert mercenary company name and their character name here). This means that a player is online and taking contracts in that area.

If they're at the front lines, they're either a part of a faction or using the wartime conditions to get premium rates. I think wartime contracts give some really good dosh. I've noticed as much as a 20% increase in contracts in those areas. Though maybe this is just luck.

Any mercenaries kept on retainer to a House bordering space to an invading Clan (Hilariously enough, Wolf is leading the charge btw.) ala like what happens in the campaign are obviously going to show up to keep the Exodus Road shut tight too. Since it appears that the last time they didn't Wolf took about all of the northwest quadrant of that area of the map.

And since i'm posting about the war content of the mod. Currently it seems like most of the action is centered around the west-most exit point of the Road as part of keeping Wolf (or another clan. More on that in a bit.) from basically pulling a Goonswarm and taking over a huge chunk of the map again. Meanwhile Wolf had almost total control of Clan Space and the entire NW of the Inner Sphere when I first started, having crippled or taken out every competing clan except for Clan Steel Viper and a small link of super-impoverished states owned by Clan Ghost Bear along the east-most Exodus Road path.

Now they're taking it from all directions, have lost the access point to Inner Sphere space (again, unless you have a few industrial worlds/research worlds it's super tough to stay resupplied in replacement parts there. A beachhead is necessary to the Lyran's and Draconis Combine. Clan Ghost Bear pretty much purged them entirely from the east-moth path too and is creeping up on Steel Viper. On top of that, Clan Hell Horse and Clan Jade Falcon appear to have some players re-enacting the Clan version of Mechwarrior 4/5 and are resurrecting their house clans, having retaken systems in the dead center of all of the ) and it seems like a bunch of merc companies. They seem to be pushing hard against Wolf as well at the moment.
This is sounds completely insane and fascinating but at the same time really :aaaaa: and on one hand I want to be a part of it but on the other I'm terrified for my sanity. I cant loving believe all of this is a loving mod. I cant wait for HBS to do something official so its more likely to be more balanced, sane, and more widely used.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

What is career mode? I think I've seen people mention it in this thread but I haven't seen anything official about it.

I just reinstalled to play again because I have the itch after a friend bought the game and had asked me about it a bunch. Is there a good place to read up on the so changes they did a few months after the game released?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Oh thats fantastic, thank you guys!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

sean10mm posted:

Career mode was added to the base game, but it's quite a bit better with the Flashpoint DLC. There's just more to do.
Good to know - I just bought Flashpoint since I decided to reinstall. While I'm at it...

Do I still need to edit some files to fix the camera lingering times in battles?

Did they fix the fact that you cannot target legs and arms when doing Called Shots to the rear?

Anything else I need to know? Where can I read up on the skill changes I have seen bits and pieces of since I started following this thread again a few pages ago? I understand that they fixed that the game was encouraging you to be a turret simulator so you could Bulwark or whatever it was every round of combat?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

What is CBT?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DeepThrobble posted:

The tabletop was rebranded Classic BattleTech when the MechWarrior Dark Age click game came out. The classic part was dropped at some point after the latter died off, but it's still reflexively used a lot.

Ahh makes sense, especially because I ignore that the clicker version ever existed.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Is there any way to do a Career mode without a dumb arbitrary countdown timer? I just want to wander around the map doing random poo poo and I cant do that with a countdown timer staring me in the face on every screen.
edit: I and I realize now that I also wish I didnt have a macguffin ship to fly around in but wanting to ditch that leads to mods.

Also, did they change how rep hits work? I did maybe 5 contracts in a Career Mode game and that was enough to get the Capella Confederation to hate my guts, which seems a bit....extreme?

Azran posted:

Yeah, I could sell a Panther and a few lasers. Didn't think of that :v: Unrelated but is there any way to know where contracts are available in the star map? I've went to different planets and I can't seem to find a contract.

I even started a new Career run and I don't have any missions available either, which I don't know if it's possible?
Thats definitely a bug. Did the game update or anything? I saw something similar happen last year when I was doing the story campaign after a patch.

edit:

Azran posted:

Back to checking file integrity for the third time this week. :sigh: I don't even have mods installed, it's getting tiresome.

Edit: Oh, only one file. Last time it was 134. :geno:
You may need to change systems for new contracts to populate if it has anything to do with the bug I saw. You can also mod the average number of contracts in the files somewhere. I'm at work otherwise I would tell you which file to change.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 21, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jabor posted:

Do you know what happens when the timer runs out?

absolutely nothing

Honestly, you're probably going to say "eh, I'm bored of smashing assault mechs into each other, time for a new game so I can go back to lights and mediums" long before the timer runs out.
:wtc:

Does the Career mode ramp up to the point where only assault missions are available? Well, I guess it has to otherwise why doesnt career mode have contracts of every skull type floating around? I really really wish they would have had the skulls actually mean something concrete rather than a ballpark "maybe its this tough"? My desire to play this game suffers death by 1000 cuts because so many little nagging things that shouldnt be problems/should be easy to fix/seem like an obvious problem that should have been fixed by now.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

sean10mm posted:

King Crab
My only regret is that the King Crab doesnt have more Ballistic hardpoints on its arms. I wish it had three on each so I could build a gimmick 6x AC/2 mech.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

anime tupac posted:

I'm sure this has been talked about, but this just went on sale so I'm dropping by to ask: can anyone remark on whether or not the writing is good? I loved Shadowrun: Dragonfall and Shadowrun: Hong Kong specifically because I liked the writing, and apparently the same guy was in charge of those and Battletech, so I'm hoping there are some good character stories or settings or whatever in here.
I felt like the writing was really bad and the campaign story arc was loving atrocious. Its a really good tactical robot combat game though!

Amechwarrior posted:

Pushed an update to my FP:

The Raid 1.0.1

Added a custom portrait and did some bug fixes.

Battletech Extended 3025

Yea, JK who did the variants mods is working with the BTX guy to make this all mesh really well. It also uses my AI and our cFixes mods!
I may need to try out that mod then because I just cant do the base game in any form anymore.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Warmachine posted:

I'm having a bit of a difficult time wrapping my head around progression of mechs. And, I suppose, what each weapon category is designed for. Does anyone have a good writeup that talks about weapon and mech design philosophy?
This but with stompy robot design in the 31st century in place of America:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

sebmojo posted:

The writing is fine, not sure what people don't like about it.
The Bad Guys were evil mustache twirling macguffins that commit warcrimes for no good reason. Kamea is one of the most Mary Sue Mary Sues that I have ever seen. All the urgency stuff that Cease to Hope mentioned. The fact that you are somehow tracked when you are going to that special hidden place that no one knows about. The whole Ostergaard story arc is especially bad. In one mission Kamea has you commit warcrimes by attacking and destroying dropship "because she says so" which is the setup for Ostergaard's son to get killed so Ostergaard, who is of course an Important Military Figure in the Taurian Concordat, goes rogue with his relic mega dropship (because, of course, there are no checks balances with the commander of such an important military piece of hardware) and commit warcrimes of his own for months on end with soldiers who are perfectly happy to go AWOL, take orders from a suicidally stupid commander and commit warcrimes without sanction by their government. Oh and also how there is no action by the Taurian government about a commander of a relic mega dropship going rogue. There are just too many convenient pieces of good luck with the right people being at the right place (the mega virus that is "barely contained" then later weaponized stands out to me here). Kamea's friend going to do his duty and getting captured is also dumb. I could go on but :effort:

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 26, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Conspiratiorist posted:

It's AC10 and PPCs that are trash.
lol

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Conspiratiorist posted:

if you're looking to just land single hits for ie injuries, then missiles get many more rolls and their chances don't degrade until they do hit, so a SRM6 is going to have better odds of landing a head hit than two MLas.
When the game was released only the first missile fired has a chance of hitting the head, has that changed since the first few months after the game was released?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Ugh goddamnit, I drew a "go kill the heavy mech!" mission, and it sent me a drat tank. Rude. :mad: I need to get heavy mechs!
lmao they still havent fixed that

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ChickenHeart posted:

Roguetech is still full of bugs and terrible design decisions but goddamn I need to share this Shadowhawk:

This motherfucker has been the sole reason for why my merc company has stayed afloat for so long. Whether it's pulling out the engine block from a Hunchback's rear, or kicking a light mech so hard that everything above the legs detonates, this atrocity of good mech design has done it all. The massive engine coupled with a M.A.S.C. and high-end stealth system has so far allowed it to wade into groups of enemies with the worst damage being a lost limb every now-and-then (hatchets hit extremely hard in this game).

And it just finished uppercutting a 65-ton Hatchetman's head off; at this rate I'll be fielding an entire lance of punchbots dedicated to mugging lost Catapults.
I'm not trying to rain on your parade but this looks loving stupid and is obviously from an unbalanced mod run by a narcissistic rear end in a top hat. Like...I know you are saying "yeah its from a mod" but good god why would anyone building a mod think that adding all that bullcrap is a good idea?

There is a chance I am just an old man yelling at a cloud right now.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I just had a 1.5 star base defense mission where my squad of 2 mediums and 2 lights had to tangle with four lights. While we were still taking them on two lights and two vehicles popped in on one flank, and then two lights and two mediums popped in behind us.

Suffice to say we lost.
I havent played in a while but uh yeah even back in like 1.0 days Base Defense was just never worth doing. its always stupid unfun bullshit.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Skippy McPants posted:

They're fine once you have enough tonnage to alpha down priority targets, but early on they can be hell. I tend to avoid them until I have at least a couple of decent heavies.
Each of the ones I tried through my first (and only) campaign always ended in defeat because as my mechs got better so did the attacking mechs/vehicles. I would always lose to something that I never saw before that is out of my sight firing a massive volley of LRMs or PPCs or something and leveling the a building before I ever go again. I tried at least a dozen times. Its just really poor design and if I ever play a Battletech game again (doubtful) I will still never do them unless I have overwhelming evidence that they have been fixed.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Skippy McPants posted:

One crucial thing about defense missions which the game doesn't explicitly outline is the concept of "tagging." If you fire on an enemy it will stop shooting at the buildings and focus on your lance. One of those situations where Multishot is really useful since that pilot can tag a whole group of enemies in a single turn.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Its just really poor design

edit for actual content: Something like "tagging" an enemy should not be necessary. Its a defense mission, defending a static installation that has enough military value to be attacked... are you telling me that there are no cameras/sensors/radar that could detect additional enemies coming from other angles? Or a satellite overhead (or my loving dropship) that could do this? I should not have to have one mech at each of the cardinal directions just to "tag" enemy assets to get them shooting at me rather than the base, because thats horseshit too. If they have a difficult shot on a mech or an easy shot on their target they would still shoot the mech?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Alchenar posted:

Okay this is my first time playing career mode and it's so different to Campaign mode. Just the existence of a timer that's counting down for score entirely up-ends the sense of what you do when you have long repair/injury times.
Yeah I didnt like the timer at all and I could not find a simple lightweight mod that removed it. I just want to be able to get in my dropship, float around looking for missions, and do my thing. The big timer counting down really sucks the fun out of it for me. Also I'm unhappy with the mary-sue not-dropship/not-jumpship thing you get and wish I had a simple overlord or something.