Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I got this game on the recent GOG sale, and saw my first Atlas today.

The contract was to take out a Directorate lance, except Meyer said she was reading a heavier signature than expected, and even as little as I know about Battletech, I could still recognize one of their mechs as an Atlas. The others weren't great. A Javelin, a Centurion, and some LRM boat. I had the starter Shadowhawk kitted out for close range, a Wolverine, energy Marauder and an Orion with a UAC/10 and some LRMs. The last two were recently out of refit, I hadn't had much luck with the UAC on a lighter mech before.

I took out the Centurion on the first turn, but then I got warned about a Marik dropship coming in. Haven't seen that particular mission before, but I've had some where two enemy factions were allied others where they fought, so I decided to get out of the crossfire zone and see what happens. Yep, the Marik guys think they're here to pick up the pieces. Fair enough, let them go toe to toe with the Atlas if they like. I get my guys further away, but Dekker in the Orion still has LOS on the Atlas.

Eh, let's soften him up a bit with an aimed shot at his head, before he slugs it out with the Marik guys.

Two hits, head destroyed.

That'll do, Dekker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I'm done with the campaign, and I'm looking to install some light mods before I start a career. I'm perfectly fine with the variety of mechs in the unmodded game, but I'd like more well-written flashpoints, if there are any. Also a better challenge, ideally some way to reduce the disparity between the player and the AI, once ++/+++ and HM gear comes into play. Is there such a thing?

I'd be happy with just a basic AI upgrade, but I have no idea if the goon-made AI mod even works with the latest patch, or if there are any alternatives. I've picked up a bunch of stuff that sounds interesting, but I have no idea if these work together.

It Came From the Rim
Jinxed
The Periphery is a Harsh Mistress

These are flashpoints from the Hyades Rim campaign modder.

BetterAI-1.7
Real Hit Chance
Panic System
Pilot Health Popup

These all seem to be older and I have no idea if they still work properly.

Flashpoints Worthwhile Rewards
Stores Restored

Better rewards from flashpoints, but fewer stuff in stores. I hope I can combine them.

Mission Control
SLDF Incoming

Again, I have no idea if there are comflicts between these, or how well MC works out of the box.

Am I missing anything else that's recommended? Anything to make recovering from low reputation less of a hassle? I also seem to remember a way to make easier flashpoints appear earlier, but I don't remember if that was a mod or just some editing instructions.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
It just means you have two back to back missions, and you may need backup pilots and mechs in case your main team gets injured/severely damaged.

If the first mission goes smoothly, you can just reuse the same team.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Is there any mod that adds non-mech/vehicle enemies or obstacles of some sort to the game?

I'd like to play with a more crowded battlefield, that makes mechs stand out more. No idea if it's feasible with the engine, but I imagine you could do stuff like weapons teams that fire out of civvie buildings, mine fields, gun emplacements that are easy to destroy but start hidden until they fire a shot, etc.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Missiles suffer the most from the game rounding up damage reduction from guarding and cover, so pick your targets based on that.

I'm pretty sure that the game calculates fractional damage correctly, only the floating numbers are rounded up or down.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 17, 2020

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

fennesz posted:

Vindicator with a PPC & L Laser
Centurion with M Laser, AC5, AC2 and some SRM
Blackjack with two AC2 and 4 M Laser
Panther with PPC and 3 M Laser

Also have the following stock Mechs: 2 Jenner, Spider, Javelin, 2 Commando, and two flavors of Locusts.

You've already been getting good advice; At the stage of the game you're at, a good rule of thumb is to have three brawlers with just medium lasers and SRMs, as these are the most efficient stock weapons, and one longer ranged one. The snub PPC is great, but a bit heavy for the Vindicator. I'd put it on the Centurion with some LRMs, but you can also run it as a pure LRM boat, if you prefer.

The Panther is the best light mech you have, it should have 4 M lasers and a SRM6, full jumpjets. Jenners and Javelins are also good as backups, the rest you can sell or put in storage. Take off the SRMs on the Jenners for more armor, on the Javelin it depends which variant you have.

You should also armor up more. At least the front side torsos should be fully armored. You can strip the CT a bit, if you really need to, though I usually don't.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I'm doing the Prototype flashpoint for the first time, and I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around how you're supposed to use the Raven.

Using it as a solo spotter seems to be straight-forward enough. Keep your other units out of sight, and bombard enemies with LRMs or long-range guns. But the ECM bubble seems to be fairly useless. As soon as a unit fires, it's open to counter-attack from every one and their grandmother.

Maybe it's because I'm also using the AI mod, so the enemies will simply reserve down to the last phase if they have no target? Is anyone using ECM long-term in career mode, or is it just a gimmick?

Edit: Ok, I missed that the missile defense is active even when you have no stealth charge.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I really find the ECM suite to be limited because the shielding mech inevitably gets sensor locked, especially on base assaults where all those turrets have nothing else to do. I think it would be more valuable if you could also bring multiple lances.

Yeah, is there a way to read the ECM tooltip again? I thought the missile protection is supposed to prevent indirect fire even when you lose all stealth charges, but as soon as the Raven gets sensor locked, it gets bombarded from all over the map.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

* I'm not sure if I'm actually doing well, this probably comes back to my first point. I limp out of a lot of battles barely breaking even, which is good, keeps things interesting - but I don't know if I'm on a downward spiral or if that's OK. Does it get harder as time passes or is it based on story progression/reputation? I only just beat the mission where you capture Victoria and she completely destroyed my only Heavy mech (a Quickdraw, which I wasn't really that impressed with anyway) so now I have a Dragon. I feel a little underpowered.

I'm definitely enjoying it but I can see me being burned out by the end of the campaign, I hope not as I really want to try freelance mode or whatever it's called.

You're pretty spot on. It's a poorly optimized and janky game, but charming in a very old school way. But to address a few of your questions, it sounds like you could be doing better, but I'd say the greatest risk of falling into a downward spiral is losing experienced pilots. High tactics for a much better headshot chance is especially a game changing force multiplier. Don't hesitate to eject or withdraw to save a good pilot, but keep in mind that your main character can't die.

There are good mechs and there are bad mechs, and heavier isn't necessarily better. Unless you're coming from tabletop, figuring out which is which is pretty intransparent, until you've learned how the system works. Heavy medium mechs like the Shadowhawk are much better than light heavy mechs like the Quickdraw or Dragon. Those two are pretty infamous for being bad. Between the DLCs and patches, there's so many different mechs in the game that I've been looking at a spreadsheet on the paradox forums to assess new mechs when I capture or encounter them.

The campaign will also provide you with one top tier mech as you continue, and even by just finishing up all contracts on the current planet before continuing to the next story mission, I felt pretty overleveled by the end.

In the campaign, overall map difficulty increases after every couple of story missions or so. But that also means you'll have better mechs to capture, and from about 3 skulls upwards, you'll also find better quality ++ weapons and gear in the loot. The starting systems will always be easier, so if you run into a wall you can return there until you've stabilized.

You get the biggest speed increase from speeding up all combat animations in the settings, but I expect you've already done that.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 11:09 on May 19, 2020

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
You can get three of the Hyades Rim flashpoints as standalone mods, but I haven't gotten to them yet, so I can't tell you how good they are.

I really like Mission Control, for livening things up a bit. Sometimes you get an allied lance that makes things easier, sometime the Opfor gets one (for a +75% cash reward) that makes things harder, sometimes you get both for a major battle. It also has a bunch of new contract types.

But you also get situations where enemies spawn right next to you ( both sides start with 6 evasion in that case), and you can definitely get in unwinnable fights where you have to withdraw. If you can accept that, I absolutely recommend it.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Does anyone who uses that real chance to hit mod know if odd numbers of Gunnery do anything at all?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

AC20 is okay but you have to build around it: breaching shot + bulwark pilot, 3 tons ammo, full jump jets, and a medium laser or two as secondaries. And as with all Ballistics, the UAC20 is much better.

That -8 recoil penalty on the UAC20 is no joke, though. If you want to use one before you have near maxed pilots and some decent TTS, you'll probably need to plan around only firing it every other turn.

The basic AC20 and LBX20 only have 2 recoil, which you can pretty much ignore.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Klyith posted:

Those duel missions are pretty much a bonus mech loot opportunity in the first place, so the narrow chance you get a SLDF mech seems ok. (Also the high difficulty duels pick from lances that might have a SLDF assault + a SLDF heavy, at which point it's gonna be a fun fight. :tgrin:)

Hold on, I've been playing with SLDF Incoming, but the SLDF mechs don't show up in the loot table. I thought that was intentional?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Klyith posted:

No, that's a bug which as far as I was aware only happens with the mechs from the DLC, crab & phawk. Have you had others besides those that didn't salvage?

Ah, I only remember seeing two Crabs so far. This first time was in a mission where I was severely overmatched, and I lost a mech trying to stay long enough to kill it, so I was somewhat disappointed that I didn't get anything.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Is there a mod that tones down the Black Market? I think the store system is fine otherwise, and faction stores take sufficient effort to get to, but the BM is just a bonanza of top end gear as soon as you can access it.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Bulwark is still the default pick for anything short of a dedicated LRM/long-range sniper boat.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Once you have access to the black market, you get flooded with ++/+++ gear. It takes away any excitement. And I don't know about you, becoming friendly enough with the pirates for the buy-in discount has been consistently much easier for me than getting to an alliance for the faction stores.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Multi-Target without Breaching Shot, Sensor Lock without Master Tactician, and Ace Pilot have their defenders but those people are all wrong. Not that they're bad abilities, mind you, but they're simply outclassed by other skills in their tier.

Eh. Ace Pilot backstabbers are great. You don't need Breaching Shot if you're targeting rear armor.

Inferno launchers do some serious work with basic multi-targeting, it's the best way to use them. 60 heat each turn will pretty much take a mech out of a fight, and with 4 Infernos++, you can do that to two mechs at the same time while concentrating your normal weapons on a third target.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Google 'battletech one chart'.

Then you want to look at the 'Usable @ max half-ton armor' column to see which mechs in a weight category can carry the biggest payload. Anything with a 60 base heatsink is a SLDF mech that's better than the default variants, but you can only find them and their parts in the Black Market or as Flashpoint rewards.

Beyond just usable tonnage, the best mechs either have a lot of support weapon slots because those are the most weight efficient weapons, ignore evasion, and fire during melee attacks, or they have special quirks. Quirks range from cute to brokenly powerful, i. e. Marauder. Another rule of thumb is that the heavier mechs in a weight class are better the the lighter ones. The lightest mechs of a weight class tend to be worst than the heaviest of the class above them, i.e. 35t > 40t, 55t > 60t, etc.

So for heavy mechs:

Marauder 3R: doubles your chance to make headshots. With the right pilot and weapons, the game ceases to be any challenge. There's an SLDF variant too.
Grasshopper: Load up with ++ machine guns and medium lasers, sprint/jump into rear arcs and delete mechs, or just punch them dead.
Warhammer 6D: extra energy weapon damage, put ++ snub PPCs and/or ERMLs on it and just punch through the center torso. Also has an SLDF variant available.
Archer 2S: The best SRM boat, more stab damage than anything else.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
It's the same quirk; Marauders also provide 10% damage resistance to all friendly units. Or you may be using a mod?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I love combing SLDF Incoming with Mission Control.

Just had an epic slugging match of a convoy destruction mission against 7 heavy vehicles and 9 mechs, with an allied pirate lance including an SLDF Black Knight and an ECM Cataphract. With that many enemies, the short range of MLs and SRMs really becomes a noticeable drawback. My Archer lost a side with three top end weapons, and my Grasshopper had some structural damage, so I had to draw both of them back. My longer ranged mechs were out of ammo or down to their last couple of shots at the end.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
You know, I read about how overpowered a well-kitted Marauder is, but I've only seen it for myself today. Is there even a point in continuing to play after you have one? Feels like the rest of the career will just be a victory lap now, and mine isn't even as good as it could be, just 3 UAC2s++ and a LL+++.

I guess I'll see how much sillier I can make it.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Do the different houses favor specific mech variants in the base game, or do you have to use a mod for that? And if so, is there one that doesn't also add dozens of new variants on top of that?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Rorahusky posted:

Ugh, trying to do the Prototype final mission, and I got bamboozled by the fact that the LRM Turrets can lock on and rail you with all the loving missiles, even though the guide I used explicitly said that they can't do a Sensor Lock as long as your ECM is up. Kind of defeats the purpose of ECM.

You and me both, brother. They tweaked the way ECM works in a patch, but never adjusted the mission to match. If you want to fight during that mission, you'll have to stay outside the turret's detection range until you've taken out their mobile forces. You can still use the Raven and... Javelin? as your spotters for your two long range mechs if you do that. You'll need to take out the light mechs quickly when they try to get inside your ECM bubble to disable it.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Klyith posted:

There are faction tags in the mech files, and there are new faction lance generators so a Davion lance will use all Davion mechs. They only got added in Heavy Metal though so the only content they show up for in the base game is heavy metal stuff.

The problem is that most missions don't define who the opponent is and as far as I can see the lance picker can't select based on the random faction target. So to have a mission against a Davion lance of Davion mechs, it would need to have Davion as the target every time. Multiply that by every faction and it's a lot of work making missions, which is why even the giant mods aren't doing this.

Also IMHO it would be crap for the gameplay because the factions don't have a balanced selection of available mechs. A 3.5-skull mission against Kurita = fight against 8 dragons. No thanks.

Thanks for breaking it down in detail, I appreciate it. I didn't realize it would be so limiting, or so much work.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

You can get the Mercenary Collection, which is the main game plus season pass, for another couple of bucks cheaper.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Rorahusky posted:

I was mainly comparing baseline weapons against one another, since you generally only get semi-reliable access to ++ weapons once you unlock either the black market or a factional store, the former being a crapshoot since you're often stuck waiting for a random event to trigger and the latter requiring an alliance and 100 rep.

FYI, to get a Black Market invitation, you need to be in a Black Market system. If you plan your routes accordingly, it shouldn't take long.

Otherwise, the tooltips on the nav map will tell you which advanced tag a system needs to have for whichever weapons you're looking for to show up in the regular shop. I generally don't even bother to buy lower than ++ versions, except maybe right at the start.

WhiteHowler posted:

After some flying around and shopping in my new career mode, I've managed to snag a MAD-3R very early in the game. It's by far the best mech I have; my other "primary" lance is two Centurions and a Shadow Hawk.

I'm wondering how to load it out before I have a bunch of money or access to SLDF and ++ parts...

To deal with the heat and add more chances for headshots, I set it up with:
2 x Large Laser
2 x AC/2
2 x Medium Laser

It hits pretty hard at my current mission level (2-2.5 skulls), but I'm curious how other people have modified the stock build in the early game.

Also, I didn't max out the armor. Should I always max out the armor? I don't remember -- I usually did when making custom mechs for tabletop, but this is a bit different.

I'd try either 2 LL, 2 AC5 or 3 LL, 1 AC5 if you don't have the tonnage for the former. UAC2s would be even better. I wouldn't bother with Medium Lasers on a dedicated long-range build.

I tend to run pretty near-maxed armor. I usually take some off the legs, and rear. You can probably also afford to reduce the CT a bit if you want to go lightly armored, but I'd always max the arms and front side torsos. For rear armor, I usually don't go lower than withstanding a PPC hit without risking a crit - so 55.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 27, 2020

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Sazabi posted:

Trying to decide if I wanna get back into this or buy battlefleet gothic 2. Is the recent dlc worth the price and have there been any super important changes since like 4 months past launch?

I can't tell you how it compares to BFG2, but the last time I checked on isthereanydeal, you can get the main game + DLC for about 30 bucks, which is absolutely worth it if you want to play the open ended career mode, or with any of the big modpacks.

I assume you already played through the campaign?

The GOG Summer Sale is already on, so it might be even cheaper now, or soon.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

binge crotching posted:

The -HQ is somewhat useful if you don't have a Marauder, because you get the -incoming damage bonus, in addition to the +initiative bonus.

I'm pretty sure the damage resistance stacks with the Marauder's, for whatever that's worth.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Lol, the Hyades Rim flashpoints and their shipboard events are utter bullshit. I only played one of them, but during the course of it, one of my top mechwarriors turned out to be a traitor working for some po-dunk religious nutbags, and now that I concluded it, another two of my best warriors died of some plague and I lost 10 morale.

This was with a fully upgraded medbay, mind. Otherwise, it would have been -20 morale and three dead pilots instead.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
So, apart from the SLDF Griffin, is there a 'best' 55t mech? I tend to use the Shadow Hawk the most, since it has higher melee damage than the others.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Klyith posted:

My answer for "best" as far as what mech I will keep using even when I've got heavies is the Shadowhawk 2D, for the 2 AP hardpoints and extra melee damage.

Sorry, AP hardpoints?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Thanks, let's make a brief segue into hardpoint discussion.

Orginally, I assumed arm hardpoints would be preferable because of the accuracy bonus, but weapons there are more easily destroyed, which starts to matter once you use lostech and ++ gear.

The center torso should always have a gyro, so you're limited to one small weapon there.

For the head, once I have enough decent spare pilots, I usually don't mind using a weapon instead of a cockpit mod, if I have the tonnage/heat/ammo to spare. One mech gets a comms system, and having a good rangefinder on one long-range mech is also useful.

Side torsos are better than arms for your main armament. Leaving an arm and side completely empty as ablative armor is the kind of advanced build strategy I rarely use, but chassis that can make use of that have an additional advantage.

I think that about covers it. Are there techs other than the Cicada 3C that have hard points in the legs?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
The SLDF Highlander is an absolute bastard in the opfor. I thought I'd leave him for last to salvage, and his first Gauss shot caused a crit on my +3 hit defense gyro.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Sipher posted:

Is there a reason for me to buy this gauss rifle for 5 million, when UA/Cs exist? It's -3 ton and -1 slot but 5mil is a bunch of credits, but but it's also the only gauss rifle I've seen so far.

I assume that's the ++ gauss?

It's not the *~*most efficient*~* ballistic weapon compared to the UAC2++, but it's still a good weapon for head capping and punching through armor, and the guaranteed 5 structure damage can be hilarious when you're up against mechs with ammo in the CT.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Ardlen posted:

Look for a MAD-2R and you can run 3 LPL++ just fine.

You'll be better off with 6 ERML++, if you can find enough of them.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Agamemmnon used to be my favorite Battletech character after I first encountered him in a pirate Marauder almost single-handedly dismantling the opposition while I was still running around in lights and mediums.

But now his place in my heart has been taken by Calamar Gigante!

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

BUG JUG posted:

I have never played Battletech before..I bought this game two weeks ago. I'm loving the campaign but I am so loving lost with mech building/weapons/ammo. Are there any good guides out there for someone with literally zero knowledge coming in?

Before you're getting heavier mechs and ++ weapons, the most efficient loadout is to just take a bunch of medium lasers and SRMs on most of your mechs. You'll want to have ammo for 8-12 salvos. Heat is basically your mana bar, running too cold is wasting damage potential. I'd say a heat delta of 15-20 is good until you figure out what you're most comfortable with.

Slower mechs can carry more tonnage. Don't mix short and long range weapons. Lobg range weapons are less weight-efficient, but a slower mech with LRMs, large lasers or AC5 is good for support.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Baron Porkface posted:

Name my company please.

Dead Kerenskys

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
5 ERSL and melee mods is good, 5 machine guns and 4 medium lasers makes for a great low budget backstabber. Jump jets optional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, autocorrect strikes again.

For something as relatively squishy as a 35 ton mech, especially once you're into the heavy/assault phase of the game, JJ's are pretty necessary.

On mechs with 165 or better movement, you really can consider playing them without jumpjets. But even if you do take jets, you should seriously consider only taking 4 instead of the maximum on light mechs, which will reduce heat and give you more payload for sinks, armor or weapons. For backstabbing light mechs, you can develop a rhythm of sprinting into a good position at the end of one turn, then attacking rear armor (and moving/jumping afterwards, if you have Ace Pilot) at the start of the next.

The dirty secret of evasion tanking with light mechs is that once the AI drops below a certain chance to hit, (40%, I believe) it will never alpha strike you and only fire single weapons to strip evasion. And between max piloting, gyros and the innate bonus of light mechs, more often than not the AI will not be able to strip enough evasion off you to get back into alpha strike accuracy before you get to go again.