Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I just picked this game up and uh I'm hitting a brick wall :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Lockback posted:

Don't use the default loadouts. Specialize your mechs. I am still pretty new but I use a scout, a Melee/short range guy (SRMs, small laser), Long Range (30 LRMs, LL) and then either a Mid-Range guy or another Long-Range mech. You should also load up on armor, but default they don't have nearly enough.

Yeah it means sitting around for a while they build but it is basically required.

Oh ok

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Southpaugh posted:

yeah but the shadowhawk itself is great, just strip out the starting weapons and give it equipment for whatever role you want it to take.

I got two spare ones and room for another mech. Any suggestions for a loadout?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Sombrerotron posted:

What kind of sadistic maniac would deny a Grasshopper the glory of a full complement of MLs and SLs discharging all at once in a brilliant multi-coloured display of extreme disco death

:lsd:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

And the correct role for it is brawler with SRM16+Mlas+Slas

I tried this with some jump jets and it's :discourse:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I beat the campaign now what?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

So is the current sale good or wait on the DLC?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Started career mode with a firestarter and killed an early catapult k2 that overheated close enough for me to :flame: it

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Excuse me there are harvester mechs what the gently caress?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Archonex posted:

Yup. And gladiator mechs. And straight up Olympic ice skating mechs. And Olympic baseball playing mechs. And giant robot dance contests too. And honestly it's just kinda ridiculous even before you realize the medal that the winners get is to scale with the mechs. So theoretically within the setting you could have a bunch of Mechwarriors striding into battle with literal olympic bling draped across their chest.

Oh no :stonklol:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Yeah sure put an Orion in a one and a half skull mission :stonklol:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

The raven flashpoint is fantastically moody

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I'm trying to install mods and I'm confused :(

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

3025 is a bad era?

You can buy 8 Locusts, Stingers, or Wasps for the cost of one Archer or Warhammer so kitting out a couple of cheap lances is piss easy for a planetary militia while kitting out an actually good lance is considerably more expensive, so the regular military designed slightly less cheap but reasonably effective counters to militia trash 'Mechs. A 'Mech is a 'Mech as far as intimidating the local peasants goes, and most of the bug 'Mechs have machine guns.

House Marik made the Cicada, House Kurita made the Spider, The Star League (and mostly House Steiner and House Kurita later) made the Assassin, and House Davion kinda flipped everyone the bird and made the actually effective Javelin.

House Liao said "Who gives a poo poo? Wasps and Stingers aren't a problem worth solving."

Yeah but then why not go for some of the marginally heavier medium mechs like the vindicator or blackjack? Just get two of those instead of putting a pilot in a death trap.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I hope you can import your ancestral king crab to the sequel

Finally decker's descendants can die horribly as well.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Give me a game in the first succession war :unsmigghh:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Jesus christ I loving hate srm carriers
man it would own if we got to have some along next game

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Has there ever been a battletech game with controllable aerospace fighters?
That would be cool to have like two available with you imo

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I guess from what I read that they are mostly used as bombers right?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Like from what I can tell space forces are like aerospace fighters---> patrol ships/static defenses----> dropships and then a handful of warships in the inner sphere.
Also people are literally incapable of keeping defenses working so drop ships can just raid mostly unopposed for reasons.
Am I correct?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Taerkar posted:

Most planets in the Inner Sphere are rather thinly developed so unless they have aerospace fighters stationed there (which are rarer than mechs) any hostile dropship can land far enough away from any target with relative impunity. If they're really ballsy they can drop close to the target and rely upon the dropship's weapons/payload to keep them safe.

For most planets the defenses are vehicles (including naval vessels) and infantry, not things that can tangle easily with a Union.
Seems weird not to have any automated defense satellites because it's clear that they existed in the lore.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Taerkar posted:

They did, but they are of course LosTech. A few planets still have some remnants of SDS in place, but they're few and far between.

*sitting around with gigantic walking tanks to have punch battles with*
Whoa man putting like a bunch of big lrms in space is way too complicated

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I mean it's obvious that comstar has fitted shock collars on the heads of the great houses to prevent them from using their resources wisely on things like "prepared layered defenses" or "tactics".

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

How do I fix my ancestral pair of legs with a machine gun on it

Guys please, stop laughing my militia is dying, no one can stop the other pair of legs with a rocket launcher on it

*extremely inbred 31st century noble voice*
Defense in depth isn't real I insist as I crashland my lovely union dropship right into the wall of an enemy base.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

sean10mm posted:

Nothing in Battletech can survive any scrutiny at all beyond "giant robots smashing each other rules."

Basically almost everything in the game is out-ranged by typical Civil War artillery pieces.

Haha what

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

TasogareNoKagi posted:

First Foundation actively continued basic research and developing technologies after the fall of civilization.
When you're the only place that can make lasers in the Space Mad Max future, you end up pretty important. While they benefited from psychohistory, that was more Second Foundation's thing.

ComStar just hid all their Star League toys while the rest of the Inner Sphere blew each back to the stone age. They could do that because they monopolized HPG technology, and would place an embargo on anyone that attacked them.

They also actively worked to prevent the Great Houses from rediscovering or reinventing technology.
When the options for interstellar communication were 1) send email ComStar can read, or 2) Pony Express in Space, it's a little hard to run a significant R&D effort without the phone company learning about it.

Everything I read about comstar suggests you could make a very topical game or movie about it and it would probably win some awards if you played around with it enough.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Radio Free Kobold posted:

An actual technical. Like, AC/2 or Medium Laser or Rocket Launcher, on a truck. A few years ago on /tg/ someone did the math and ran a few battles and it turns out 100 tons of lovely technical will reliably beat 100 tons of Atlas in a fight.

A Flatbed Truck can carry six tons of cargo. So, what, two SRM-4s and a ton of ammo? It's even got a variant right there with four RL/15s. Get five of those and that's 300 rockets.

Haha link

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Radio Free Kobold posted:

I don't have a link for you, but I can probably bullshit this out. Assume Bulldog/Pitbull 2-ton trucks (w/ just over 1 ton cargo capacity each). No armor, 1x medium laser in the back forming a "turret". Let's assume a Locust (1x Md.Las, 2x MG, 20 tons), assume one hit will kill a truck, and ignore accuracy (or, rather, assume that both the truckswarm and the locust are equally evasive and equally accurate). So we have 10x Trucks (each w/ 1x Md.Las) vs 1x Locust, which can kill three trucks a round.

Round one, the locust shoots first, kills three trucks, and gets shot with 7 medium lasers.
Round two, the locust shoots first, kills three more trucks, and gets shot with 4 medium lasers.
That's already 11 medium lasers hits on a Locust. I'm not sure it will survive that.

The apex of this strategy is something like a Hetzer or a Saladin; the cheapest possible AC/20 carrier, a box of griefing on wheels. Just going by c-bill costs from Sarna, you can get ten Saladins for the price of one Atlas and I guarantee you those Saladins are going to come out on top.

3rd millennium challenge is real and strong

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

the Davion equivalent of Paul Van Riper was assassinated by ComStar 10 years before retirement

hosed up but 100% true.
Headcanon is now that comstar kills innovative commanders who don't go merc because the mechwarrior and ransom industry is too big to fail. :beck:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Bubbacub posted:

They have to implement infantry in BT2 because elementals are such an iconic part of the Clan invasion. So hopefully it's less bullshit flanking by magic spawning mechs, and more ambushes by infantry hidden in woods and buildings. It'd be nice to have some risk associated with parking your bulwark units in forest tiles, and also have more of a role for MGs, flamers, and pulse lasers.

I would absolutely love to tool around with like a company of drugged up periphery lunatics with rocket launchers to grief a bunch of Steiner heavy Lance's who can't be bothered to look down once in a while. :yeshaha:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

And Tyler Too! posted:

PGI is an astoundingly incompetent developer. I hope they sell the Mechwarrior rights to a company who knows what they hell they're doing.

:sigh:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Got a hunchback 4p thinking about setting up a laser death rave group. :yeshaha::hf::pcgaming:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Mmm haha here comes a grasshopper too :bisonyes:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

And Tyler Too! posted:

It's not any ordinary Highlander, it's a SLDF-era Highlander! :getin:

It's completely disgusting lmao

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Doc Walrus posted:

I'm pretty early in a Career and right now my lance has three firestarters in it, one of which has six medium lasers :unsmigghh:

It only fires every three turns but it's so, so satisfying

I loving love the firestarter

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

What do I do with a thunderbolt?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I got the 5SS

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Just realized I basically made a full MLas :pcgaming: lance

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Lmao at the fight club event

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

In all honesty I do like the interstellar murder mystery machine aspect of doing a bunch of flashpoints at once