Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I think you mean Mechs-Com.

X-COMStar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

vorebane posted:

It's been scientifically proven* that the code you write while well-rested is twice as effective and runs in half the time.

* Source: It's so obvious I'm not going to bother linking it.

See, you think that, but it turns out they only produce as much code, as the rest of the time is spent secretly building a virus that will only target :pgi: employees plus a lootbox system that sends money directly to the programmers bank account.

I had never heard of the Society until PTN did it in his LP, and I'm in love with how Chaotic Stupid they are :allears:

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Voyager I posted:

It's not so much that it hasn't ended as that it won't start for another two and a half decades. The setting doesn't even know the Clans exist yet.

Its also on the other side of the Sphere.

Which is good. Less Timberwolves, more Centurions :colbert:

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Aramoro posted:

The one true mech that is the MadCat

Lies and Heresy

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

King Doom posted:

Apparently what I thought was the cockpit of that madcat is actually a gigantic thermonuclear device! I did not know that.

Actually that was just his MG ammo cooking off. A common mistake

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

InAndOutBrennan posted:

Ok blue ball thread. Recommend me a good turned based game I haven't played yet.

Plus for shooty over swordy.

Jagged Alliance 2
Silent Storm: Sentinels (even has power armour. It sucks tho)
XCOM classic / EU/EW / 2 with mods
Valkyria Chronicles

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Pirate Radar posted:

Seconding at least the first Valkyria Chronicles. It’s good stuff. No direct experience with 2 and 3, but 4 will be out for Switch and I know I want that.

The first is decent anime My Little Warcrimes- it has tonal issues (beach episode after Magical Jewish Korean genocide) but the story holds up well enough. The actual gameplay is really good, until you find whats OP and then it kinda goes to poo poo.
The second is full on high school shenanigans, gameplay is a bit more involved BUT that just means there's a new OP unit, and an annoying grinding system to level up soldiers and weapons
Third I have no played but I understand is really great, with a penal battalion plus defensive fire is loving brutal.
I had no idea there was a #4, will investigate

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Anticheese posted:

Calling it a Timber Wolf? Your chief mechtech may be a Clan spy. :tinfoil:

No, he used a contraction, so not a Clanner. Or he's learnt how to, which means he's a fantastic spy, which means he can't possibly be a Clan spy, so still not a Clanner. QED

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

What HBS needs to do is give Beaglerush a copy to stream now that he's broken up with XCOM

FRIENDSHIP ended with XCOM
Now BATTLETECH is my BEST FRIEND

And then he spends half an hour using the priority system to Beaglewatch a single Commando

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Aramoro posted:

We need a That' Battletech gif like the :xcom: one.

PTN has a few

Oh poo poo, it still works (in Firefox anyway)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NrxjnEWIuk

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

It goes a touch deeper, since one of the heads of FASA/Catalyst/whoever said that all the official Battletech(tm) books were canon. Turns out Far Country was one of them, which involved sapient bird aliens. So of course the community declared 'mah headcanon' and said it was dumb and to be ignored. So much as mentioning the book or the Tetetae will result in what we know call 'reeee'.

So WoL would mention it constantly. Squawk became our warcry, grognards demanded it to be banned, and much fun was had. Like this jovial fellow right here- https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/95801-spamming-squak/

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Rygar201 posted:

MWO was actually K19

It's the Great Eastern- big promises that result in shoddy practices, a failed launch, numerous accidents damaging it's reputation, it never reaches it's aspirations of player numbers, then it just kind of exists as a floating circus.

HBS:BT is the god damned Queen Mary by comparison. And hopefully on it's own merits but I'm trying to temper my own hype.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Oh man, the time we rolled all flamers back when they were useless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI9c7wfoLuI

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Urbanmech goes in every field

An Urbie balancing a scale on its head
A coin with an Urbie silhouette
A pink Urbie in a wig
And SkullUrbie

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

:five:

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

500k to unlock Flight
1mil to unlock Combat

The worlds first true LGBTQI+ friendly MMO

EDIT- My bad, they actually STARTED at the 1mil dollar mark-

Paingod556 fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Apr 14, 2018

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

DFA
Able to last longer than 5 seconds in a firefight
Snipers are annoying hit and fade bastards, not the optimum way to play, especially with poptarting

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

:circlefap:

That'll be enough for me to ignore my 'avoid all streams before release' policy. Doing Gods work, cKnoor

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

https://twitter.com/beaglerush/status/987338534691287040

It's happening

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Ace Motherfucking Dixon :allears::

"And don't you bother bailing out, cause I'll pop that chute like a belt buckle! :argh:"
"Not again! NOT BLOODY AGAAAAAIIIINNN. :gonk:"*

Or Burrs Black Cobras in MW4:M, who only reappear if you explicitly wipe out the first Lance you engage. And they let you know they've taken jobs just to get at you

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Kitfox88 posted:

I'm losING CONTROL OF THE SITUATION was always a blast

Again, MW4:M managed it and it was great. "Mercenary SCUM, prepare for battle" :monocle:

Glitch is currently the Best Pilot just for her chatter. Shes so excited :3:

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Raged posted:

Can someone repost the awesome Urbie "fortune hunters" logo

I was gonna roll this, bit I have an even worse idea for my first playthrough...

Edit- I just need a terrible name referencing Quokkas

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

He really sounds like that guy who gave Brigade E5 (a Jagged Alliance TBT clone) a low score not for it's many legit issues, but because 'I need to tell me soldiers what to do? This is bullshit'.

I'm sure XCOM would have melted his brain.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Gravy Jones posted:

I'm pretty sure Alec Meer is a huge XCOM fan. He's written about it extensively (and mostly positively) across many iterations of the game.

I meant the other, actual idiot reviewer (EDIT- who covered Brigade E5), who didn't seem to understand what type of game he was playing. Like playing a realistic driving game and asking why you can't do sick aerial tricks or use headlight-mounted missiles.

Paingod556 fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Apr 24, 2018

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Gyshall posted:

quote this if you took off work for the next week

Technically it's a public holiday, and an extra day to do some stuff around the house with contractors.

Who have since called and asked to reschedule to another day. :v:

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

So that mission with the ammo crates that everyone goes full Torgue 'gently caress the money, EXPLOSIONS' on?

Turns out you can do it without blowing up any-

:v:

:stare:

:toot:

:confuoot:

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Hopefully they might add quad mechs in a future expansion. There are a few around in 3025 that look like giant bugs and dogs.

Good news! Mitch answered this in one of the Q&A's pre-release

"In success, all things are possible. Except quad 'Mechs, gently caress you."

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Liquid Communism posted:

"Pay us to make a sequel and you'll get the Clans."

Sold. Take my money and gimme dat Mad Cat.

The opportunity to chump on stupid Clanners by leading them into melee ambushes? Sign me up.

Though no rush, it's still amusing to see the hardcore BT players whine about not having their EZ win Clan tech while still squawking about how much better players they are.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Synthbuttrange posted:

thats not true, someone started the battletech nexus just to upload a mod to remove gender neutral terms of address!

And it had the lowest number of downloads of all BT mods on that page.

And now seems to have been replaced with a 'more genders' mod

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

sebmojo posted:

Is there a mod that just skips you to ...3 years later?

I believe there is, someone posted about the triggers to skip everything and get right to Leopard strategic stuff

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I know what I want to mod in now.

UrbanTech

Start with Urbanmechs
All enemies are Urbanmechs
All salvage in stores are Urbanmechs
The Lostech bunker has 3 Urbies with fancy weapons (LBX, Pulse) and one Suburbanmech that is just an Atlas II sized Urbie with the same loadout

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Radio Free Kobold posted:

i laughed more than i should

I can't take credit- https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383329&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=964#post417177510

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Mo_Steel posted:

I love punching mechs. Sometimes you get just okay hits, and then sometimes you get this:

:shepface: Just annihilated.

I need to get Shadowplay working again...

Medusa gets 2 clean headshot kills back to back. Both on Stalkers
Next mission, Glitch is hit once by an AC/20. To the face. Medusa turns around and punches the offending Victors head clean off

RIP Glitch, it took the improbable to end your bloodlust

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Virulence posted:

Glitch always reminding me how she's the best with lines I've yet to hear even after 60+ missions with her.

"After the mission, let's make Snowmen! :yayclod:"

"Here I fly... HERE YOU DIE!"
:sparkles:

Can't wait for someone to figure out changing voices. Got the original MechCommander files on hand. My avatar will ride again, especially as I found there are lines for ramming attacks

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Synthbuttrange posted:

Also fully playable Dropship Commander

Is that like Chapter Master?

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Chapter_Master_(game)

A surprisingly decent army management game before it got lawyer'd. I'd play a BT3025 version in a heartbeat

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh, and the Solaris announcer is pretty damned entertaining.

George Ledoux voices about half of the male characters. He's great.

I can recommend MW4M if you can hunt down the free Mektek version. Its perfectly fine entertaining robot stomping.

MW3 is still the best overall Battletech game, though it has some issues running on modern PCs even with the fixes

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Triangle Shirt Factotum posted:

So, anybody have any fun with the mods? some package mods are out on Nexus, one being "RougeTech" and another new one is the "Dz Consolidated Mod Pack" Any thoughts?

I've been puttering around with the LOS changes, salvaged mechs coming in as broken, the panic system and it's adding quite a bit of depth to it. Or at least extending the scrappy "gotta make rent" part of the game.

Beaglerush is attempting to make 'Longwarrior' a thing. He made a tweet of his mod folder though theres a fair few alterations to them-

https://mobile.twitter.com/beaglerush/status/1001015727623622656

It took a few false starts, but now I'm really getting into doing the same (except the AI mod, haven't even looked for it) Barely making enough cash while slowly getting the Argo fixed and salvage stockpiled. Its an engaging struggle.

Second mission, 3 days before finances, 30k in the bank. Game is working as intended

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Communist Walrus posted:

I should've specified that I meant outside this game. Some folks have talked about tonnage limits introducing variety forcing the player to make a trade-off between more smaller mechs or fewer heavier ones. I get why it exists as part of the game mechanics in the Mechcommander games, I just can't remember if they ever say why you're limited to x tons (if they even say it at all)

I can't find it online and my physical copy is buried somewhere at home, but there is a bit from Harrison bitching that an operations drop limit is based on the most robust operational intelligence calculation methods- they pull it out of their arse

The exception being one where they could only insert via civilian cargo plane going nap-of-the-earth, so 15 tons only (3 Swiftwinds or a single Pegasus hovertank) plus an APC

I've been using the drop cost mod, works pretty well for flavour, yet to have a Sandbox campaign last long enough for heavies to cut into my profits

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Sorry I understood the op to mean use small lasers in both support and energy slots. Which would leave the grasshopper with 12x SL for 240 + 90 melee

The solution would be SLAS can go in Support and Energy, but only Support slots can fire in melee

Fluff in some bullshit about 'shock absorbant housing' and you're good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

peer posted:

"yet another glaring dig at us males" or "slightly sexist and derogertory" would both be good thread titles

I mean, he raises a fair point. I certainly don't want to get de-Roger'd.

In better mod news, discovered this mod while resetting up LongWarrior (sandbox + random start + more expenses and harder salvage) which sounds pretty good. Yet to run one of these yet due to some mods bugging out, but the whole 'take a contract for X months for Y money' matches better with canon BT, and seems completely functional.
https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/254