Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I don't know, reading between the lines it looks like PGI are basically making a choice between exclusivity or bankruptcy.

Given that, I can't say I blame them for making the choice, especially with MW5 so close.

E: I'm guessing PGI doesn't care about the license or a relationship with Microsoft anymore because I have a very strong suspicion that a new player has entered the game for bidding rights to BattleTech, and that PGI cannot possibly hope to outbid Paradox.

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

We'll see. They have an AMA in an hour and 45 or so minutes where they'll do damage control. Or not, and I'll cancel the preorder on the spot.

Either way gonna be good watching them deal with their severely angry fanbase.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Patch Notes Time for 1.7

quote:

Thank you for playing BATTLETECH! Release 1.7 is now available! The main areas of improvement are issues identified by the community, AI, combat performance improvements, and map graphics. We have also improved gameplay difficulty balance in the Kamea campaign and addressed many minor glitches.

Release 1.7 Notes, 9/10/2019

From the Community
Fixed a formatting problem with the json for the PNT-9R
Updated the Hatchetman HCT-3X faction so that it is part of more lore relevant enemy lances
Fixed an issue where the ‘Double Agent’ Flashpoint awarded the wrong faction reputation
The Packrat now moves as a light wheeled vehicle
Stock lances in skirmish mode are no longer duplicated in the dropdown when the budget is unlimited
Several libraries for Ubuntu Linux users are now installed along with the game by default

AI
Improved AI’s ability to avoid a potential ECM exploit
ECM carriers will now work harder at keeping their allies cloaked
Further pathing fixes for several missions where the AI could become stuck
Updated lance role tags for a number of ‘Mechs (such as “tank”, “sniper”, “scout”, etc.)
Combat Performance Improvements
Particle system optimization
UI rendering optimization
Map Graphics
Many small map polish fixes - closing seams, grounding assets, clipping corrections, etc.

UI
Fixed a bug where an event may reference a random star system rather than the currently orbited one

Other
Re-balanced the Attack/Defend encounter type
Fixed many small grammar and translation errors
Improvements to missile trajectories
Balance adjustments to the Kamea story campaign:
Lowered mechwarrior hiring cost
Increased payout in c-bills for contracts
Increased base salvage for contracts
Increased the frequency of non-weapon rare items in salvage
Increased the starting cbills from 980k to 1000k
Increased the starting morale from 25 to 28
Increased MechWarrior XP per mission from 400 to 500
Updated difficulty settings to match new defaults
FIxed an issue where certain sounds on Urban maps would persist after save/load
FIxed an issue where player ‘Mechs could not melee units cloaked within an ECM field
The 'White Lies' Flashpoint is now available during career mode as well as after completing the campaign
Fixed an issue where buildings could collapse while they still had health
Fixed the contract results page for the ‘Hearts and Minds’ Flashpoint with the correct objectives
FIxed an issue where ally defense turrets would not turn on in Attack and Defend - Retaliation contracts
FIxed an issue where attacks would pass through buildings without causing stray shot damage
Gyro+++ component gameplay effects can no longer be stacked
Fixed an issue where Pre and Post mission autosaves would not properly generate for procedural contracts when any Flashpoint was active

Known Issues
Small amounts of text remain untranslated
The game does not always enter turn-based mode when hostiles drop in

IMPORTANT: Additional note for players who mod various game files…Reminder that modding is not officially supported. If you have saved a game with any mod active, that saved game will not work after an update has been applied unless you replace all modded files exactly as they were when the save game file was created. Saved games require the exact same data state in order to function properly.

Roll Back
It is possible to revert to past versions of our game in case you have trouble with this update. For more platform specific information go to our forums at: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...rollback-to-a-previous-patch-version.1112335/

As always, if you experience further issues please contact Customer Support at: https://support.paradoxplaza.com

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah according to test reports the AI now handles ECM pretty well, if you reserve they reserve right back and when they move they come right for the ECM field.

That's almost how it should be, the Raven should be very powerful when kept safe but very vulnerable if the enemy closes the distance. They're just now smart enough to close the distance.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Here's a question, are there any Unseen from the kickstarter that we haven't mentioned yet?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Really cool of HBS to make the Maurader and Warhammer part of the patch rather than the DLC, since those were some of the Mechs promised as part of the Kickstarter before Harmony Gold started loving with them.

E:

quote:

Come face-to-face with two legendary characters from BATTLETECH lore - the Bounty Hunter and the Black Widow of Wolf’s Dragoons. A derelict cargo ship has drifted into the Periphery from deep space; what secrets does it contain, and who will ultimately control its mysterious payload?

A derelict cargo ship that the Wolf's Dragoons are after?

... they're sneaking some ClanTech into the game, aren't they?

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 19, 2019

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Stravag posted:

The base game has friendly fire

I thought the base game had stray shots but not friendly fire?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I love Clash of the Titans, especially with a 9 Tactics pilot in a PPC Maurader.

Headshot both a Cyclops and an Awesome.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Fun note: I gave the last mission of the new flashpoint campaign a try today.

Kiva, if you're still reading this thread, then I mean this in the best possible way, but fuuuuuuuck you.

Me: "I'm sure I'll be fine with high skill pilots in munchkin mechs. How much better could these pilots be? I know they're canonically among the best MechWarriors ever, but still, 9s and 10s across the board."

Me after my first attempt: "yeah, uh, what the gently caress, holy poo poo, those are some drat powerful abilities."

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I just want to say that, at the very last cutscene of the new mini campaign (I beat it in my first attempt of this day), I love the irony that comes from knowing quite a bit about BattleTech lore that the Draconis Combine has ordered Bob Kurita to find the Dobrev, and yet it was destroyed by the Black Widow Company. Who is, at this point in the timeline, under contract with the Draconis Combine, just like the rest of Wolf's Dragoons.

We're more reliable than one of the most reliable mercenary commands in Inner Sphere history.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I know that MW4 MekTek added some homebrew Mechs, and some of them made the jump over to canon, but I'm not sure if there are any that didn't.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I never got the impression the Baumann group were secret Clanners, I just thought they were a criminal syndicate who had the resources to move on the Dobrev before any of the Successor States or nearby Periphery nations (or Comstar) could move on it and were making bank selling its secret technology on the market (as the justification for "where did all this poo poo even come from and why can we buy it"), which is a very un-Clanner thing to do.

Hell, mentioning it, it's weird Comstar isn't moving on it before anyone else given that they control all FTL interstellar communications, period (black boxes a current minor exception but that's Davion and Steiner only), and therefore would know what everyone is up to.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

That said it's super easy to mod campaign mode to give you flashpoints at an appropriate time, too. I modded it to open up the full map and flashpoints once you got the Argo.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Paradox is the publisher, not the developer. This is an important distinction. There is a big difference between the in-house paradox developed games and the ones that they publish for other people.

Maybe we'll get another round of DLC. Maybe not. The devs themselves have just kind of shrugged and said "maybe" when asked directly about it. It sounds to me like they don't want to say no and categorically shut anything down but that they're ready to move on to the next project, be it another BT game or something else.

Technically, HBS is now an in-house Paradox developer, Paradox fully purchased them and they are all full Paradox employees now.

E: That said, yeah, I really hope we get BattleTech 2: MY HOME PLANET Boogaloo.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Zebulon posted:

Want to be able to import my save from BT1 into BT2 and deal with punting Clan off MY HOME PLANET. And taking their poo poo. And god willing, making them seethe at having an entire fleet of Bull Sharks at my disposal.

Given that the Bull Shark is pretty much outright confirmed to be Clan Wolverine tech, having a fleet of Bull Sharks at your disposal would basically put you at #1 on the "hunt-and-kill" list of every single Clanner.

Seriously, Clan Ghost Bear discovered (early) that some of their sibkos had Clan Wolverine blood and wiped them all out. It's why the Black Widow is trying so hard to scour everything from the Dobrev from the face of the galaxy.

For all their myriads of faults PGI does seem to be legitimate fans of BattleTech as a setting and want it to succeed (as partially evidenced by them letting HBS use their models from even before the Kickstarter launched), and they have most Clanner mechs fully modeled already, so it's an obvious next step for either BattleTech 2 or the stand-alone expansion I seem to remember they've said it would be before. The only things I could see preventing it would be Paradox not wanting it, Microsoft not being willing to license it, or PGI not wanting to continue helping.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I could totally see the sequel being set in the 4th SW. IF it's a continuation of the same storyline, the Argo gets blown up by a Mysterious Enemy, and the story is you rebuilding your mercenary outfit (of whom a good number managed to survive because video game) and weaving in and out of the ongoing war while pursuing your own goal (but since it's a quasi-RPG your goals can range from anything from 'revenge' to 'profit' (various Great Houses are like 'who set you up the bomb, we'll pay well for that info') to both, etc.)

In the end it's of course ComStar who checked their records and saw that the Argo shipped off with an entire map of every SLDF facility in the Inner Sphere and Periphery, went "oh gently caress" and snuck an agent onto your ship who reported that you had accessed the map, went "oh loving poo poo" and blew you up in an attempt to keep it under wraps because they're having trouble keeping the goddamn Helm Memory Core under wraps and now you've gotten a full map of every single SLDF facility?

E: That said I'd have seen that as being an expansion, not a sequel, because the sequel of course needs to add a shitton of mechs and the Clan mechs are just sitting there waiting to be used.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah damage transfers inwards so if you take off the leg, arm, and torso with a single shot, it means you hit the leg, destroyed it, damage transferred inwards to the relevant torso (left leg->left torso, for example), and that transferred damage was enough to destroy it as well. And when the side torso goes, the arm attached there does as well.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

The Maurader is unique in that it's fundamentally as good as your mercenary outfit is run. If you have poo poo morale it's merely decent, but if you have high morale and good pilots it becomes god-tier.

It's made it my favorite IS mech in general.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Played through the Long Hunt flashpoint last night. Was expecting when I got contacted by Colonel Lee that he'd make justifications or such about "yeah I did it but it was revenge the Kuritans are worse REMEMBER KENTARES" :texas: bullshit.

Was refreshing for him just to be "yep. I did it. I'd do it again. Felt good. Come at me, bro."

Also Bob Kurita makes me love the Combine.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I've probably put it in this thread before, but Elias Toufexis, the VA, was such a big fan of BattleTech/MechWarrior growing up that he actually actively sought out a role in this game.

He also is in MW5.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Jabor posted:

What I want to know is which enterprising pirate has found their own star league fortress, and is gradually doling out all that juicy lostech on the black market.

Surprisingly Heavy Metal might actually explain this.

The most powerful pirate faction captured a derelict ship that's pretty much outright stated to be a Clan Wolverine ship from when they escaped the other Clans, and it was loaded up not only with all sorts of juicy LosTech like Snub PPCs and such, but some ClanTech and stuff that even the Clans don't have. They've been plundering it and flooding the Black Market with its goodies.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Organ Fiend posted:

Its not just a might. This is explicitly stated in the campaign.

Yeah, but the black market being rife with LosTech was a thing before Heavy Metal was released, wasn't it?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah what you should be paying attention to in addition to the skulls is the max pay. If it seems like higher pay than you'd expect, you might have drawn one of the "identical" contracts that they offer that are disguised to make you think you know what the mission is before they spring a surprise on you.

Like just today, we landed and then Sumire said "hey boss these 'Mechs are bigger than I thought" and then another faction landed a lance and I killed them all and won.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Phrosphor posted:

The reason that some pilots in the 3025 era are absolute gods compared to the rest is that rather than their NeuroHelmet just transferring the sense of balance to the BattleComputer, they are able to transfer their whole consciousness, or something, and control their 'mech as an extension of their body with their mind. If you can do this, it is usually only with a particular 'mech and is probably what the NeuroHelmets were supposed to do for everyone but I bet 99% of 'Mech's have never been restarted or reconfigured for a new pilot. It's something the Clans develop with their implants, but those make you go insane.

I just happened to reread Wolves on the Border featuring Legit Awesome Guy Minobu Tetsuhara, and what you're referring to is muga. It's less literal consciousness transfer and more that you enter a state of mind where you forget you're piloting a Mech. Rather than thinking about firing that weapon, you reach over and push the button without any thought. Like how eventually you become so familiar with a game you instinctively hit the "draw weapon" button without actually thinking about what button you're pressing.

Literal consciousness transfer technology exists, but it fucks up the brain so much that even the Clans said "this is too much." Instead it was only widely used by everyone's favorite religious terrorist organization, the Word of Blake.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

It's hard. There are a few low-difficulty independent planets on the far south of the map, one of which has a tag labeled "Pirate Presence". Bounce around those systems for a while farming what contracts they will actually let you take for max rep.

Just don't let it get to hated like I did before doing that, otherwise even most of those contracts won't let you take them.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I'm pretty sure the Cluff's Stand flashpoint is Urban Warfare, it's the Tournament of Champions, isn't it?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Was that a wrong thread post there Argle?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

How do you mean? Do you mean the flashpoints? They're almost universally pretty good, to great. The original campaign is pretty good, if a bit predictable. The kickstarter novellas were Stackpole. The sourcebook for the Aranos they helped make and put out was short, but decent.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I checked in on the weekly stream yesterday that HBS and Paradox put on, and according to some of the chatters in there when I inquired, next week is the earliest Mitch and Co. will start talking about future content.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I'm legitimately sad that HBS's run with BattleTech apparently ends with one game. It was obvious how much they love it.

I wonder if Microsoft is just less willing to license out the IP to Paradox, now that HBS is fully owned by them.

In any case it means that :pgi: are now the sole standard bearers for the franchise in the video game sphere, which is.... ugh.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Mitch has basically said Crimson Skies is nearly impossible for them to do, for reasons I can't recall if he elaborated on.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

The final fight of the Heavy Metal campaign is the only mission in the game I muted and put on my own boss music for. Because Ace Combat music fits BattleTech like a glove in my experience.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Can you do Flashpoint Missions on campaign? Once you finish the campaign do you basically start career mode or is it more of just freeplay after that?

And with BEX installed does career mode still only last for 3 years, or can you go from 3025 all the way to 3057?

Also, can anyone explain or list the instructions for how to unlock bigger drops on flashpoint maps using BEX? I'm looking through their discord but man is that a mess.

By default when playing campaign, Flashpoints unlock after you beat the final Campaign mission. It's super easy to mod it though so that flashpoints start up at different points; I like to do it after you unlock the Argo.

It does kind of trivialize the campaign though since you can get some Neat poo poo from flashpoints that the campaign is not at all balanced for, though that might also be a problem with the expansions in general. Or maybe just the Maurader.

... BOOM! Headshot.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Organ Fiend posted:

Most of the flashpoints don't offer any game-breaking rewards. At least nothing more game breaking than the SLDF Highlander that you get mid campaign or the SLDF Atlas you get for finishing the campaign.

There is a possible exception. Spoilers for game breaking flashpoint loot:

After completing two or three flashpoints for the heavy metal flashpoint-campaign (the ones that involve the Dobrev that spawn in unaffiliated periphery) you get the Bull Shark. The BSK is a straight up clan mech that is carrying ++ versions of weapons that are essentially clan weapons and has engine DHS. The BSK is a great mech, but not game breaking. What is game breaking is taking the 4xERML and 2xUAC5 on the BSK and putting them on a Marauder. Boom: instantaneous 2-shot-KO headshot engine. I.e. the flashpoint-campaign BSK has everything you need to create a really, really strong headshot MAD except for the MAD chassis itself.

I guess I more meant, since flashpoints aren't balanced around "where you are in the campaign" like the campaign is with its constantly increasing map difficulty as you hit different milestones, you can fight higher-tier mechs than are supposed to be appearing in the world in a flashpoint, capture it, then take that, say, assault mech into a campaign mission that only expects you to have Mediums (unless you're really grinding away on capturing Assaults).

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

The issue is Paradox has no ownership over virtually anything BattleTech setting related but they may still own the source code from HBS's game.

If that is the case HBS would have to start from complete scratch.

Klyith posted:

So like if HBS wanted to make Battletech 2 they'd only have to talk to MS and not Paradox. Then not use Lady AranoTM, The ArgoTM, or other original stuff they made for the first game.

Actually (akshewally) CGL released a sourcebook canonizing the setting and major Arano characters. HBS could use anything in that since it's tabletop material now.

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 18, 2023

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/mitchgit/status/1714685092705280285

Mitch confirming that the source code for the Shadowrun games and BattleTech remains with Paradox.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I guess I don't really understand why HBS is barred from working on BattleTech and Shadowrun in the future, since Paradox doesn't own either of those properties and HBS made them in license with Microsoft. Paradox, to my knowledge, doesn't own either property; how could they prevent HBS from seeking a new license?

Unless it's just the complicated legalese of HBS not being able to use any work from the Paradox-owned specific games and not wanting to have to consistently prove that they didn't use any code, assets, or anything specific to those games in any new game.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Klyith posted:

2. As part of separating from Paradox they agreed not to make a game with those IPs, because Paradox owns the existing games and sees value in that (long tail sales or maybe putting out a re-release).

If anything it's probably this, a non-compete. Legal lettering in the separation agreement of "you will not make anything in the Shadowrun or BattleTech licenses."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

FEMA summer camp posted:

Does Comstar ever factor into the vanilla campaign/career mode?

There's a single off-hand mention of ComStar in the vanilla story (where if you know anything about what ComStar actually is like you'll know a bit more than the characters about what they're up to) but apart from (very rare) OpFor encounters, you never really encounter ComStar.