Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

question about modding in new events: i've made some simple events that work properly if i manually place them in .modtek\Cache\SimGameEventDef , but i can't get it to place them there automatically.

i saw other mods using
code:
    "Manifest": [
        { "Type": "SimGameEventDef", "Path": "events" },
    ]
in mod.json to get events to fire, but they were also all ForcedEvents (timeline events from BEX, flashpoint-related events from The Raid). is there something different i need to put to get them added automatically?

biosterous fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

had the filepath wrong, whoops. the events absolutely do come up if i manually place them in .modtek\Cache\BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\events , i've had them come up several times. i just have not seen them if i try to get them added via mod magic

although looking again, they are listed in .modtek\Database\database_cache.json , so they might actually be working fine? i probably need to do more testing.

e: one of them just fired, without being manually put in the folder, seems like all is groovy :toot:

e e: i did actually change something, and that's probably what did it? changed it to { "Type": "SimGameEventDef", "Path": "events", "AddToDB": true } instead of just { "Type": "SimGameEventDef", "Path": "events" }

biosterous fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 3, 2023

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

specific QoL/minor tweak mods i would recommend for a first run:

Crystal Clear (graphics options not available via the in-game menus! the rain particle effect just makes things unclear and hurts my eyes a bit, this removes it)

Colorful Combatants (pirates have more colours, yay, fun)

Pilot Health Popup (so you don't have to remember if this is the first time you've done a pilot hit to someone, or if you've already banged them up)

Better Headlights (it just looks nice)

Battletech QoL by BTNomad (auto-skip the repetitive enter/leave orbit, dock/undock cutscenes, selectively tell your crew to stop warning you about funds/training/repairs)

BTMLColorLOSMod (makes it absolutely clear if you'll be shooting someone's front/side/rear arc when you move)

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

you can play the campaign with BEX, i recently did so.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i hosed something up while tweaking things and now it won't load missions :negative:

unlike previous times when i hosed up the json syntax or something, i do all the argo + mech bay + navigation stuff, but once i launch a mission i'm stuck looking at the leopard forever

i undid my changes (which was just forcing some mech parts to appear in the black market, shouldn't have affected anything in battles) and deleted .modtek so it would rebuild it, no dice.

anyone have an idea where i should start poking?

e: managed to get it working! found the error log (C:\Users\[biosterous]\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\BATTLETECH), searched for errors and fixed stuff. still didn't work. on a hunch, deleted .modtek again and used the Rebuild All feature in the event editor to make sure the database was clean. it worked, i can play again, hooray!

biosterous fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 19, 2023

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

just started playing mw5 this week and got a bunch of mods and welp looks like i can't actually craft most of the non-vanilla mechs

gonna redownload all the mods and see if that fixes it

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Floppychop posted:

I've run into that a lot with the same mod with some, but not all, of the YAML added mecha. Reinstalling didn't fix it for me, so if you find a solution please share.

apparently the issue is with using V1 salvage instead of V2. change over to V2 in YAML options (in the escape menu on the left, not in the YAML section of Mod Options). it took a while to convert all my scrap but i can now build everything that's visible in my menu

a lot of my clan salvage has disappeared but tbh i'm fine with that, getting it again will be fun

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Floppychop posted:

I'm glad someone's excited about the Longbow. I've always hated that dumb thing.

could be worse, could be a yeoman

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

SirFozzie posted:

House Arano (from the Campaign) gets a callout in the latest Battletech Recognition Guide.

Captain Chris McMillen: McMillen was a MechWarrior in House Arano’s Royal Guard. When the Aurigan Coalition threatened to fracture in the Directorate Coup, McMillen remained faithful to his liege lady, following Lady Kamea into exile and fighting in almost every major battle of her long and bloody Restoration. In one notable engagement, McMillen and his Phoenix Hawk single-handedly smashed a reinforced Taurian armor lance in an hour-long running battle. Slated for ennoblement, McMillen was killed when damaged sensors and comm gear and a confusion of orders resulted in him standing unaware squarely in the landing zone of an Aurigan DropShip.

Most of us can still remember the first time the dropship accidentally crushed one of our mechs.

... yes, i accidentally crushed those newbies i was training. definitely not intentional

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i suggested these mods last time someone asked about their initial playthrough

biosterous posted:

specific QoL/minor tweak mods i would recommend for a first run:

Crystal Clear (graphics options not available via the in-game menus! the rain particle effect just makes things unclear and hurts my eyes a bit, this removes it)

Colorful Combatants (pirates have more colours, yay, fun)

Pilot Health Popup (so you don't have to remember if this is the first time you've done a pilot hit to someone, or if you've already banged them up)

Better Headlights (it just looks nice)

Battletech QoL by BTNomad (auto-skip the repetitive enter/leave orbit, dock/undock cutscenes, selectively tell your crew to stop warning you about funds/training/repairs)

BTMLColorLOSMod (makes it absolutely clear if you'll be shooting someone's front/side/rear arc when you move)

and i still stand by this list, especially the last one

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Corsec posted:

Mechwarrior 5 is on Steam sale right now. Is it as much fun as Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries was?

i did not play mw4 so i can't really compare, but enjoyment on mw5 is highly dependent on how much you enjoy the procedural generated missions (and also how many mods you're willing to install to increase the variety)

i found the base game to be ok but then i threw in a million mods and now it really scratches an itch for me

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I bought MW5 on release and still haven't finished it. I'm hoping that Clans leak saves it for me. I just got so bored of shooting tanks and helicopters and my lance mates being so terrible. I didn't have friends who wanted to co-op so it became a slog for me

mw5:clans is gonna be a separate standalone game, fyi

they're making it in UE5 (mw5:mercs is in UE4)

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

very general overview of the three major megamods:

BEX: mechanically the closest to vanilla, just adds Lots More Stuff, keeps pretty close to lore. generally does not melt my laptop

Roguetech: i have not really looked as hard at it but the general gist i get is that they try to be mechanically closer to tabletop, and generally lore-abiding. mechanically very different, because you need to change a lot to make HBStech play like CBT. adds a whole lot of stuff. would probably melt my laptop a little

BTA3062: adds all the things, all of them. does not care about lore (but has settings to disable the completely-lore-unfriendly stuff). changes the mechanics a shitload, in some ways that i think are very cool and in some ways i haven't made up my mind about yet. kinda melts my laptop a little because my laptop is terrible

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

oh maybe, i only played one of them a bit for long enough to overheat, and didn't try the other, and this was a while ago. switched to BEX because less overheating, played the poo poo out of that one

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Hannibal Rex posted:

Is there a mod that simulates infantry presence on the battlefield?

I'm thinking of things like more fortified buildings, or fighting positions for crew-served weapons that are stationary but start cloaked. Maybe also a greater presence of low-tier non-mech vehicles like some sort of lore-friendly technicals.

there's one mod somewhere that makes "infantry" do ambushes on urban maps, iirc by having buildings spawn turrets when you get near

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

ACValiant posted:

They kinda do this already with the arm mounted stuff no? I believe it takes a moment for your arms (or maybe torso?) weapons to catch up. Been a minute since I've played MW5.

yeah, arms aim fast, torso lags behind a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

BT Advanced Clan Tanks\vehicle\vehicledef_[whatever tank here].json

remove "NOSALVAGE" and maybe also "unit_noncontrollableTank" and see if it works or if it breaks everything

this is probably a bad idea, i haven't touched BT modding in ages and i just like loving around with .json files :buddy: