Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Arrath posted:

4xSRM6's :getin:

And, uh, relentlessly pummel everythingwith dozens of LRM's until the Jaeger can get in range?

:rodneydangerfieldtuggingathiscollar:

Uhhhh.. I'm not breaking out a mech editor or anything, but that seems like not much tonnage for things like ammo, heat sinks, or armor. Like, not any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I really wish this game had the Phoenix Hawk. All those support hard points would make it great fir rushing in and hitting with a super hard melee attack, and its speed and jumping ability would make it very hard to pin down. There's nothing in the game that occupies the same niche currently.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Flipswitch posted:

wait what,

what is the point of it if not to spam missiles?

The point if the catapult is to always be useful, no matter what environment it's in. With 2 LRM15s, 4 MLs, jump jests and decent armor, it will always be useful, no matter what. It won't necessarily be optimal, just good enough no matter what.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, there was also an Innersphere planet that used a game of American Football as their defense when the clans invaded their world.

The clans played using Elementals (sans power armor, but Elemental warriors are still huge muscleheads without the armor). However, the locals actually impressed they hell out the clans because they managed to score 3 points.

By 3025 the Star League is something of a revisionist, Mythical "better time" that frequently ignores the truth of what it really was. Even some people in the periphery look back at the star league fondly (not Taurians though or anyone in former RWR space).

My unit logo uses the Star League symbol for the "Justice" card somewhat ironically. :v:

The Ghost Bears not only showed up to the field with elementals, they showed up with actual football gear and didn't need to be explained the rules, because while there were few people of American descent in the Inner Sphere and only a few worlds even know what gridiron football even was, the game was still alive among several of the Clans.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Ersatz posted:

PC Gamer just ran an interview with the creator of Battletech (available online), in which he broke the lore down, explained how the available technologies impacted cultural development, and talked about the real history he drew inspiration from. It's a great read.

Is there a link so that others may read this?

damnit, edit is not quote.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Sandweed posted:

When your dropship pilot drop the SQUAWK line. Was that really a Word of Lowtax reference?

:cmon:

I've been having fun a grasshopper loaded with 6 machine guns. Not only do they farm crits, they also are pretty drat good at finding headshots.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 2, 2018

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I just realized that they only gave the ac10 8 shots per ton. Wtf, why?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

When do I get the better ship so I don't spend 30 days pimping out a cent with LRMs?

3rd non intro story mission.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Is simgameconstant.json the right Voorhees to edit if I want to 'fix' the AC/10?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I think I'll leave the damage values alone for head chopper reasons, but tweak the ammo, stability, and heat values to try to make them appropriately balanced.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

BadLlama posted:

Also whats the rules on robot wars memes in this thread

If you're going to meme, you'd better make it extra spicy.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Sazabi posted:

Is there a bonus for bringing fewer or lighter mechs on a mission?

Filthy Clanner spotted.

e;fb

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Yeah but you pay a very heavy heat penalty for jumping and firing in the same turn. A great number of otherwise sustainable heat builds are close to suffering heat damage on a turn in which they jump and fire everything.

Has anyone noticed that one of the Dropship layer tunes is reminiscent of the opening part of The Ecstasy of Gold by Ennio Morricone?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I have been using my new Highlander to crush puny mechs beneath its mighty feet, and I've yet to earn the 'Highlander Burial' feat. This frustrates me to no end.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Battletech lore in a single sentence: People are dumb, selfish assholes.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
If you think triple strength myomer is wrong, you're dead to me.

Because I just sent an overheating Berserker's axe clean through your center torso.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Night10194 posted:

Why, exactly, does HG keep suing? What's their endgame?

These days, Harmony Gold has no source of income other than some real estate in California, and IP lawsuit trolling.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Well it's true. His employment is almost 1000 years in the past.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ded posted:

It will CT core out pretty much any mech.

You, uh, are really optimistic about having 15 opportunities to use those AC/20s, aren't you?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

DrPop posted:

What are folks using for Orion ON1-K builds? I just got my first one and right now I've just got it with two SRM6++, a Large Laser, a few Mediums, JJs, Heat Sinks, and additional armor (I think). It's been effective enough, but it kind of feels undergunned. Maybe I just haven't used SRMs enough.

I've been using an Orion with 1 ppc++ and 2 LRM 15++s. It does a great job of maxing out a stability bar and provides excellent fire support. Just have to watch the heat gauge, but you can always fire the LRMs and you even cool off a little bit when you lay off the ppc.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Empty ammo bins take a critical hit and nothing happens. Same for Gauss ammo, except that you lose any remaining ammo in that bin.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Emy posted:

So does that imply that the safest place to put your ammo is all in one arm, and then face that side away from the enemy?

it's a pretty safe place, yeah, assuming you can always keep it isolated.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I like the Minnesota (probably not Tribe) lady who is the female version of Krombopulos Michael, so eager to get to killing!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

If you spend more than a ton on an energy weapon in this game, you're probably better off with something else.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Eej posted:

Mega brawler with maxed out MLs, SRMs with DHS to keep things cool.

Where are you getting DHS from?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I've yet to see any urbanmechs or star league salvage in my post story game.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

We can finally make the pilgrimage to Butte Hold.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
My gauss rifle has survived, but one of my two tons of ammo for it got destroyed.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

what gives it the nod over other assaults of similar weight? just all that pinpoint damage at range?

95 tons is the optimal weight for a 3/5 mech with respect to available tonnage for firepower. It more efficiently delivers it's payload than an equivalent speed 90 or 100 tonner. It's not a day/night difference, but it is fractionally better.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

There's not one, really. It's handwaved away in all sorts of ways, usually via fees or "employer is only going to pay us for repairs on up this X tons of mechs". But, the cargo refit version of the Leopard replaces each mech and Aerospace fighter bay with a 150t cargo bay. Presumably the scafolding and rigging to secure mechs take up some room, but not 50 tons worth.

The cargo variant Union replaces it's 12 mech bays with 1500 tons of cargo. So :iiam:.

An aerobrick has a lot less internal volume than a rough spherical shape for any given equivalent footprint, plus the union is just plain bigger. The Leopard is slightly more than half the tonnage of the union, but it gives up a whole hell of a lot in order to achieve semi-aerodynamic flight.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
How do I tell if a mod I've installed us working if it doesn't necessarily have an immediate and obvious effect?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Despite the utter shittiness of the future, they still have free healthcare. :smith:

You can always sign a contract, raise your right hand, and say some words if you want the exact same kind of free health care with the exact same kind of risks today.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

This game does have the Zeus, so there's no reason to not go full Bozomech.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Panfilo posted:

I find it rather annoying that machine guns can't be put in ballistic hardpoints, and small lasers can't be put in energy hardpoints.

Would it really break game balance in its knee to not just be restricted to the support slots? Since the lowest weight commitment for a ballistic Hardpoint is 7 tons, they tend to be kind of all or nothing especially on lighter mechs. Being able to have MGs on em instead would be more useful. Similarly, being able to 'downgrade' the medium lasers to smalls on the 'Swayback' variant of the hunchback would be interesting because it's already a close in Brawler and the smaller lasers mean less heat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD9Qw0_1VWk

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Is there a mod that makes it so that ammo bins don't automatically replenish after every mission and you have to actually keep track of your ammo supplies?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Similarly, is the a mod that makes it so you have to smash your cock and balls with a hammer every time you take a pilot hit?

Like AOD, i want to suffer when I play my game for fun in my free time. Luv 2 track minute details.

Listen, bud, I'm not trying to mess with how you play the game, I just want to play with a genuine logistical challenge. BT is fun, but it's running a Merc company on easy mode.

Amateurs study bka bla blah professionals blah logistics.

edit: now that I think about it, having an option to not auto repair armor would be nice, too.

Panfilo posted:

I'm pretty sure you already have to, it's just ammo is such a common salvage drop you're unlikely to run out of it.
If this were the case then the Star League Highlander woul run dry after a mission or two.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 19, 2018

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

DatonKallandor posted:

I don't know how to make the ammo change, but you can totally easily make armor changes take actual time and money in simgameconstant.json - I don't know how that interacts with finishing a mission with armor damage though. If you make that change let us know what happens.

Giving this a shot now. I'll report back with how it went.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

Giving this a shot now. I'll report back with how it went.

Okay, so I adjusted the Armorinstalltechpoints to .01 and armorinstallcost to 156, and it had no effect on after action automatic armor repairs. I suspect this would only have an effect when modifying mechs in the mechlab, as it looks like the problem may be that the game simply doesn't track armor damage outside of combat.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

isildur posted:

there are several places in the code where armor is restored to full. you won't be able to get the effect you're looking for just from json. but i know at least one modder is working on adding armor repair time and cost; i've chatted with them about where in the code the armor is getting restored automatically, and they seemed to have it under control the last time we talked.

I suspected as much. I don't possess the acumen or the wherewithal to attempt such a mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
This is what I did with my Atlas II.

I did everything in my power to break every Battletech construction rule I could possibly get my hands on.