Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Erpy posted:

Even if the player has somehow forgotten the entire plot of SC, the actual contents of the first sequence inside the door make the answer to the second riddle death glaringly obvious.

What was not obvious to me was that there even was a second riddle...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Ries favorites any instagram post about food, obviously.

So Dorothy must be her most favorited account

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Junpei posted:

I don't understand why they had to come up with the chest messages from scratch. Couldn't they just translate them from the Japanese version? Did the Japanese version not have them, or were they too full of Japanese puns to translate properly?

The Japanese chest messages were all something like "This chest is empty". Except somehow FC had that message repeated a few hundred times, so xseed decided to have some fun with them and translate each with and individual joke.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Oh man, I totally missed the Dorothy stuff somehow. And that phonecall...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I still love how one of Estelle's S-Craft's is "True Pummel". It's so... unpretentious.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Erpy posted:

For some reason on both my playthroughs, I cleared this entire door in one go and wondered why people raged on it so much. Maybe I was just really lucky.

Aside from that, this is probably the first time Argem is mentioned, which is the name for Mirage septium. (Nohval and Goldia were mentioned in SC)

There is definitely a huge luck factor in the minigame, especially in the last round. Sometimes he just pulls out one 3.5m fish after another....

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

You mean we don't get Kevin back? :ohdear:

Kevin is the Dapper Father, not the Dapper Dad.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Agate and Estelle for the first one, then Julia and Renne for number 2.

That makes sense.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I think Kloe is required for all of them?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The reason I didn't like this door didn't hit me until I saw it in this format.

This is technically a fantasy RPG series. But when you get down to it, it's more like Star Ocean, where even the most fantastical things are explained as science, not magic. There's not too much mythology, there's mostly history that has plenty of evidence supporting it. There's no "they say back when..." there's only definitive facts that are pretty well known. And in that kind of setting, a story about a talking baby dragon that played with an orphan all day and saved her life after she fell doesn't really fit in well.

I am not sure that's really true past the Sky series. Like there is a lot of stuff in Cold Steel that's seems to lean more towards magic than science.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

NotASmartMan posted:

Hopefully we see him again in Calvard, although with time gap, it's unlikely he;d still be there when that arc occurs.

Could always be on a later visit. So he can (CS2 spoilers) hang out with Angelica, and maybe Friedel and Loggins.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Erpy posted:

This is one of those battles that the game itself acknowledges is designed to wreck you. Just like Loewe in SC, dying gives you the option of trying again with a weakened opponent even without retry offset. The fight is surprisingly straight-forward. No flunkies, no status ailments, complete immunity to every status effect, delay and stat-down, no whacky tricks, just a straight-up relentless pummelling with his very large stick like Estelle only wishes she could.

That's what made the fight really striking to me... besides it kicking my rear end a bunch of times. A lot of the bosses in this game --- and especially the immediately previous ones --- rely on the adds to provide the difficulty, so
something like Spear of Loa followed by Phantom Raid gets you 90% through most of them. For Cassius? Yeah, he doesn't need help to rack up the damage, and Kevin is going to need Grail Sphere for this one...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I think Sept-Crisis weakens as you kill the pillars off?

That area-cutting thing kinda screwed me since it cut off my party members and made one of my melee attackers basically unable to attack.
Of course, since I play on normal it was still manageable to beat it on first try... the boss has tons of HP and some annoying tricks, but Cassius it's not.

• Locked thread