Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Lawlicaust posted:

Have seen nothing concrete on faction quests.

I don't have a list or anything like that. Beta is very, very small. There isn't a lot of concentrated lists of anything. Most of the quests I've seen gone were sidequests at the start of Kingsmouth. Pyramid Point sticks out because it used to have a lot of sidequests on it. Now there's just the Wendigo one, the idol of Nergel, and the Fireworks.

To be honest I'm fine with them removing sidequests but I'll be incredibly annoyed if any of them were ones that actually got you unique text from your faction handler when you completed them. It'd be kinda bad and dumb to remove writing, from their game known 99% for its writing, but. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Exmond posted:

Feel like we should hammer in that the MMO is dying though..

Last Gasp of a Dying MMO?

Age of Conan?

"A big ball of meat that bees can buzz around and eat when it dies so that this mmo might be granted one sense of purpose"

hope there's no character limit

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

I liked the original secret world a lot, even though I only made it to Egypt. I'll probably try the reboot out though, just because I never bought any of the issues and it'd feel kinda stupid to buy them now when they're free in the rerelease. :v:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Now that the game's actually live: I know they apparently cut a bunch of sidequests, but did they remove any of the ones that actually gave you a unique faction-specific response from your handler? Because removing even a little of the game's only real selling point would be dumb and bad, imo.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Amante posted:

Find the original for a few bucks somewhere if you can. The relaunch is plagued with microtransactions that'll have you running out of inventory space and other nonsense.

It's worth noting that Legends has all the DLC missions available for free, while you still need to purchase them in the original.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

tbh I didn't even notice the mission lockouts after I got past the first few police station missions. I don't really see how it's an issue, since it's not like you were gonna run to the opposite end of a zone and do a quest with enemies that outlevel you anyways? It didn't take me long at all to unlock every Kingsmouth questgiver, and I don't see it ever being an issue unless you just flat out skip some main quests. (What's the word for those? Not the story quests, but not the sidequests either?)

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Man, this game might not really be "scary" in the way something like Alien Isolation is (having your character be literally, canonically immortal for all in-game intents and purposes doesn't allow much tension) but goddamn does it do a good job at just at being legitimately unnerving a lot of the time. Most of the enemy designs are genuinely unpleasant to look at, and even more unpleasant to listen to, jesus christ do I hate fighting the filth, or familiars, or zombies, or just generally hanging around areas with them because every minute I spend listening to those weird screeches is another minute closer to my ear holes finally getting sent to hell.

Like, real talk, what the hell is the source of that hosed up distorted babbling you can hear by Wolf in The Savage Coast? It seems to be something unique to the area, 'cause it doesn't sound like any of the enemies and I don't hear it anywhere else in the zone; but it just makes me. Not want to be there.

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 17, 2017

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Empress Theonora posted:

Sometimes filthy humans actually say intelligible stuff and it's more unsettling than all the screeching in the world.

The one that's like "I'm dreaming but I keep waking up, I KEEP WAKING UP" fucks me the hell out every time I hear it

Burnt Poffin posted:

John Wolf is on the steps of a kindergarten. The sounds are the ghosts of children, but happy ghosts. I could swear there's a line from Wolf about it, but I didn't notice it when I was in the area.

Oh. :unsmith:

Still might be the most sonically unpleasant thing in the world, but I'll take one more spooky thing that isn't plotting my death.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

I like the Black House because it is 1. the one (1) thing on the island that isn't actively trying to murder people and 2. like the one thing on the island that actually has a legitimate, personal grudge against the people of Kingsmouth.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

It tries to murder you, but that's after you're poking around in its guts. It even (harmlessly) throws you back if you try to go in the front door, that's downright restrained compared to literally anything else in the game. :v:

When they talk about stupid teens breaking into it overnight or whatever it's in the context of "yeah they couldn't last the entire night inside it", not "they got fukken murdered", too. You could attribute that to being before Solomon Island was 100% hosed (instead of like a background noise level of 40% or so) but that didn't stop the Wendigos or w/e from eating kids.

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 17, 2017

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Capntastic posted:

I hope this bug never gets fixed

what the gently caress :wtc:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

if i never have to go into the moon bog again

it will be too soon

(also, is my memory poo poo or did they add new anima wells to the game? for some reason I remember the Franklin House being kind of a pain to get to, not being able to just teleport right to the front door.)

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

M_Sinistrari posted:

They definitely moved some. The one located in the residential block in Kingsmouth got moved over to right next to the Sheriff's station behind the barricade. Made it so much more convenient.

Nice. The game in general has felt a lot faster to progress through, even with 100%ing Kingsmouth and The Savage Coast. (Except for all the elite enemies.)

Unrelated, but is there any particular "best" way to get anima shares? I'm at the point where I'm actually running out. Should I only be fusing with poo poo that gives the 2.5x bonus?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

angerbeet posted:

What's to enjoy? It's two minutes of spamming whatever ability and then you get a present. It's like being two.

i shoot the mans and they fall down

also if you spectate it after you die the camera manages to make it look kinda legitimately cool

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Capntastic posted:

Pvp should be obstacle course races where all of your abilities except for gadgets and sprints are locked.

Funcom, call me

pvp should be a fashion show where contestants are giving a minute to put together an outfit, after which they're put in front of a panel of impartial Venice judges

the one with the least votes gets dumped into a tank of filth

Tallgeese posted:

You can get a gas mask from Whispering Tide soon.

the mask you get from the Tyler Freeborn stuff is pretty stylish too. speaking of which, holy poo poo is that whole chain incredible. i'm v. glad i didn't have to wait until endgame or pay any money to go through it

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Ugh, I legit think my biggest gripe with the game is overly-involved side quests that don't even have the decency to give you unique completion text. The one that inspired me to post this was the one in Egypt where you first need to gently caress around all the rooftops to find four satellite dishes, and THEN (if you're doing it legit, which I didn't) you need to do enough work to put some investigation missions to shame to find the coordinates and passcode for a box, after all of which you get a resounding... canned response.

You don't even get to find out what's in the box!

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

If they ever make issues again, you'd want Steam for discounts.

Haven't they already said that all future story content will be free?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Double Plus Undead posted:

If I link an old account, I get all weapon unlocks by default, so I should just pick a class with an outfit I like right?

You get all the outfits, too; so might as well go with the class that'll save you from having to buy a weapon.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Nf3 posted:

I'm on the fence on this one. Does the story make up for the criticism I see of the gameplay's combat? Is there gameplay beyond combat thats redeeming?

The game is 100% worth playing for the atmosphere and story, yeah. Besides the combat (which isn't even terrible, it's just kinda :mediocre:) there's very cool Investigation missions (which involve solving puzzles and researching poo poo) and very janky stealth/platforming missions.

It evens out to be worth playing at the price of free.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

galenanorth posted:

It's kind of a letdown that this game starts out with a dream sequence mostly in Egypt, then I'm sent to NYC with all this great dialog about all the different factions, there's an awesome fantastical world tree, the graphics are detailed and great, and the voice acting is nice. Then I get to Kingsmouth and I'm all like "this is all right, but I'm ready to move on from zombies" and from there it looks like it'll be just another zombie game for the first 30-something levels. The game would be a lot better with faction-specific missions and more than one starter area. I'll check back in a few years and see if they've added enough content to make the game better. I mean, I waited for F2P and that paid off

fwiw the zombies never really go away, but the missions stop being ABOUT them pretty fast and they're by far the most mundane thing that's wrong with Kingsmouth.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

SWL also has all the issues for free, so if you never got around to buying them switching over is a no-brainer imo

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

holy poo poo is A Time to Every Purpose (roman time travel stealth mission) garbage

flavorwise the concept behind it owns but it took me like an hour just because guards kept detecting me for no apparent reason. oh, the (poo poo) crafting part of the mission glitched out my first time too, so i had to do the whole thing over again

this is less of an issue but it's also kinda hilarious how the cutscene was like THE BLACK PHARAOH IS DEAD when... that totally hasn't happened yet

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

So, uh... what the hell happened at the end of Egypt? I killed the Black Pharoh, and then an Orochi goon cold-clocked me so I went into the Space Antarctica zone for a while (this part at least I get), but when I come to the Illuminati's pissed enough that they would've assassinated me if Geary hadn't called it off?

I can't tell if I'm missing something or if I'm just being dense.

Also, I out-levelled the Egypt Hell dungeon before I got a chance to do it. How screwed am I?

edit: ...might as well ask this while I'm here, will I be behind the curve power-wise if I head to Transylvania without doing the chain of quests the stationmaster gives you for Egypt? I could really use a change of scenery.

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 2, 2018

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Hello Sailor posted:

That's twice now that a brand new recruit has blown the Illuminati's chance to secure important artifacts and disappeared entirely from their radar all within a very short timespan in terms of the storyline. You scare the poo poo out of them, which is why KG wants to keep you around.

Exmond posted:

Whenever you go see the dreamers, you kind of fall out of reality and nobody can reach you. Form the Illuminatis perspective it goes

Ah, that makes sense, thank you! I legitimately forgot that my dude was supposed to be getting an artifact instead of "just" stopping the world from ending, so that was the piece I was missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

the coolest thing about cotsg is that one pyramid you go on a lengthy puzzle adventure through