Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

KozmoNaut posted:

Aren't there complications? Like reduced nighttime vision and such?

Plus, my prescription may change in the future, my mom is at like -5 or -6, with moderate astigmatism.

I have astigmatism and my night vision has always been poo poo. Contacts or glasses didn't matter. I was severely near sighted. My glasses were always the thickest and strongest of anyone I knew.

I had lasik 11 years ago when I was 25. Maybe my prescription has changed a little since then but I still pass the vision tests for 20/20. Night driving is about the same. Best $2800 I ever spent on myself. I could not stand contacts, the putting them in, cleaning, removing before sleep and dry eyes were too much. LASIK is none of that and being able to wear sunglasses now kicks rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Rhyno posted:

It's pretty goddamned loud but otherwise it runs smoothly!

Change the fluid before you condemn it. I bought a beater breeze that squealed bad and didn't boost at all. Changing it with a turkey baster and adding Lucas totally stopped it and a few changes later it started working again.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

The Prong Song posted:

I just CANNOT sell this motorcycle. I might actually have to resort to posting it on Craigslist, but I don't know if I can handle the level of asshattery I've experienced selling vehicles on CL at this point in my life.

What's y'all's tips on cutting out the joyriders, wanna-trade-ers, lowballers, and scam artists from CL?

Use a burner phone number. There is an app called "burner" that makes this simple.

Keep the add short with only the most important details. Leave out the negative points. If someone's actually serious they will ask questions other than "what's ur bottom doller".

Take good pictures.

State no trades, but avoid absolutes in discussing price. With that said price it higher than what you want with the expectation that haggling will occur.

And last, just don't let it get to you. People are people. You want to sell it, right? Personally I just trade poo poo in.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Siochain posted:

Have a cordless weed whipper and a cordless hedge trimmer - both were cheap, and just loving work. I love them. gently caress the gas ones unless you are doing this poo poo for a living and its running hours a day where batteries would just run out.

As to electric chainsaws - anyone used one? Thoughts? I'm looking at a small saw, and have been debating electric.

Electric is fine for stuff up to 7-10" with a sharp chain. Just a word of warning, however, chaps designed for gas saws won't protect you from electric since those don't have a clutch.

Also, people here must have a lot of patience and some small yards if you can stand an electric trimmer.

I can't even make it around my yard, much less the fence, without having to spool line. Never mind the several tanks of gas. That's with a Stihl fs130 and one of their giant heads, I think it's a 36. On top of that, I have an echo SRM-225 that has sat fairly consistently since 2014 with tru-fuel in it that will start with a couple pulls right now if needed. Don't buy junk gas trimmers and they are fine.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Yeah I gotta be honest I might weed eat the whole property once a season. I did it a few weeks back and it took nearly 9 hours. I probably won't do the fence and pond again this year, so maybe 15 minutes worth of work every couple weeks. I loathe trimming.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

angryrobots posted:

Glyphosate concentrate is cheap. I don't trim fence line. I don't knock it down to dirt either, I let it start to grow up then knock it down. Looks pretty good and don't have erosion.

Drive beer and spray fence line from the golf cart, it's very relaxing.

Occasionally I do the same. Sometimes around the house as well. But I have a mole problem and they seem drawn to areas where its been sprayed. They loosen the soil, and erosion happens because nearly my entire property is on a slope. It also seems to encourage species like poison hemlock to sprout.

I switched to crossbow, installed a device to switch the bottom wire of the fence to ground when it gets tall, and trim when it gets really nasty looking. It's not bad this year.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Magnus Praeda posted:

I always thought chainsaw chaps worked by tangling up the chain with kevlar strands until the saw stopped. What's so different about an electric motor that they don't work?

Also: yeah, my yard is tiny. It takes me about 15 minutes to trim along the fence line and around the perimeter of the house/deck.

Electric saws don't have a clutch and can't stall. Near full torque at zero RPM vs a gas saw which needs to rev to 10k RPM to start making power.

Edit: chaps usually state on the label that they aren't rated for electric saws.

rdb fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 6, 2017

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

angryrobots posted:

Fuckin moles. Fortunately have few of those here. The dogs would dig up old mole tunnels for hundreds of feet around the back yard at my old house.

Crossbow? Switch the bottom wire to ground?

Crossbow is a combination of 2,4D and Triclopyr herbicides. It works against broadleaves and brushy, woody type plants. It will burn grass if not dilute enough, but it seems to recover better vs glyphosate.

My fences are electric. So when the weeds get tall and too much current goes into them the controller turns the bottom wire off. I think it was like $25.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

angryrobots posted:

Oh I gotcha, I have seen that for sale. I just let it grow a bit, then hit the tall stuff with a wide mist. Seems to mostly stay off any short grass.

And the fence, I see, I didn't know you were talking about hot wire. I have to keep the bottom wire hot (field fence + 2 stands of hot wire), cause we have pigs and goats, and it's the only thing they respect. Goats are like velociraptors, if the fence is off they figure it out immediately.

My wife has about 30-40 goats right now, mostly saanen with a handful of guernsey. The big ones leave the fence alone and the kids don't wander far if they do get out. The bucks stay in a separate pen on a separate charger during rut. Most of the escape problems we have had have been the result of damage to gates from climbing or sneaky kids squeezing through panels in the barn.

Pigs I have no idea about.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
She milks twice a day. I don't know how many at the moment. Most of the milk goes down the drain, some gets made into cheese, some gets separated into cream for coffee and butter. She makes money off of buck and milking doe sales. Doing milk sales legally takes some serious cash. Lots of people still sell it as pet food or through farm shares but my wife refuses because of the liability.

Out of the 15 or so kids born this year, all but 2 have been bucks, most of them auction grade. I need to take a load this week for Ramadan. But the few(10-15) that are worth selling as milking does or breeding bucks are $300-600 each. It's been a small profit the last couple years.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

monsterzero posted:

Ugh, I'm having a poo poo time finding cheap truck to tow with. I live in a pretty rural area so I thought it would be easy. I was hoping I could find something that needed a little work for $3k, but it seems it's all $6k 2000-2002s, and $1500 pieces of crap with questionable registrations and not much in between.
Don't know if I should break my current-registration-and-smogged-only rule, consider a SUV or break down and finance something.

I'm not sure where you are, but full size SUVs are usually cheaper. If you really want capacity and don't have a need for a gooseneck a 2500 series suburban is a good one.

E: also those $6k ones probably need as much work as the $1500 one, the owners just won't admit it. This is one purchase where strong haggling skills are needed. I have had better luck getting deals at new car dealers on used trucks than through private party sales. This is because the dealer didn't pay poo poo for trade in on it and they need to make a sales goal for the month or whatever. Not that this applies as much on a $5k truck as it does a $25k truck, just saying.

rdb fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 9, 2017

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

the spyder posted:

Oh man. I was offered a car this weekend that I kinda want to pick up for my son. But I just learned theres NO paperwork for it and it's an out of state title (Cali). I'm not sure it's worth the work to get the title. I could possibly file for a storage or mechanics lean, but Oregon will no longer tell you who the last registered owner was. Does anyone know if Cali will?

It's a 1971 Toyota Celica ST Slantback, Cali Car, been sitting 20 years in a garage. Still has minor rust, two previous paint jobs, but it's all there.

That may be old enough where it doesn't have a title. In NY growing up vehicles up to 1973? Or something like that only had a registration. I can't find information on California law.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

the spyder posted:

I'm going to call tomorrow. It gets more complicated, as the car was apparently found abandoned on a property the owner purchased in Cali nearly 30 years ago. They brought it to Oregon when they moved here 20 years ago and it sat in the garage since. He just passed away... so I'm going for impossible to title. My friend was hired to work on the car and was left/gifted the car by the estate. He has a bill of sale from the widow/estate. This should be fun...

It's a little risky but there are companies that will register it in Vermont or another non title state that you can then use in another. Actually you may just be able to do it yourself. If the story is accurate your unlikely to have issues.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
What was the date code on that tire? The tread looks great and that kind of failure just shouldn't happen.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

mariooncrack posted:

My dad and I went car shopping the other day. One of the dealerships seemed to have a lot of cars that haven't moved in awhile. There were a lot of vehicles with rust on the rotors, some cars seemed to have more rust than not rust.

That's probably not a good sign is it?

Rust on rotors is meaningless, rain and a few hours is all it takes to form. A couple stops is all it takes to remove.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Mine was 76 miles one way until the plant closed. Took about 1:17.

Now it's 80 miles one way to the airport. Takes 2:15 going because it goes from central to Eastern. If I actually had to go see my boss, and it's been nearly a year, it's 134mi one way.

Good thing I live in the Midwest.

On another note, hand calculated the mpg on my motorcycle. It says it gets 37, it actually got 28 which is pretty poo poo. I need to lose some weight.

rdb fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 13, 2017

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Are you certain of why it's out of coolant? Was it in the oil or just missing from the bottle?

You know it's not always a cracked block. I do agree with your offer, however.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I ask because those engines are not known to have those kinds of issues. Chances are it's on the original water pump and it's all run out the weep hole. Changing a water pump on one of those is all of a 30 minute, $20 job. I definitely think your offer was in line though. $5000 trucks are really $2000 trucks these days. People pay too much for some 200k mile heap, do nothing to fix it then try to pass the buck on when they get bored. This person seems particularly lazy if they can't even be bothered to top up the fluids.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

monsterzero posted:

No idea. It stops well. Is that a recall?

Its the lines going to the rear. Just check them for rust and report back. I dont think its a recall but there was a class action lawsuit.

In other news, got to watch the hot rod power tour roll through town while my wife and I were at lunch. Lots of impressive cars, I am fairly certain I saw Lucky Costas chevelle. Also a guy driving some white truck like hot rod that looked exactly like Boyd Coddington. Coddington himself died in 2008.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
A self tapper through the handle. Or if your kids are super hard on it drill it all the way through and use a lock washer, nut and locktite. Its already hosed so who cares.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

What is the best front loading washer and dryer for a budget of $1000 total? I know you guys are obsessed with these things

Anything other than samsung

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

ExplodingSims posted:

I'm starting to think my landlord isn't a very good one. I've been trying to call her since yesterday, and they haven't been answering the phone, and somehow, in 2017, they don't have a way to leave them messages.

It's like, the AC guy was out here a week and a half ago to confirm what I told them, that the unit was garbage, and needs to be replaced. Never heard back after that.

Can you withhold rent in FL for poo poo like that? Some states consider hvac so vital that your landlord needs to have it fixed in 24 hours.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Liquid Communism posted:

You shut your mouth.

60/40 Frank's and butter.

Yes, this. So many wrong people in this thread.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Those probably don't have the traditional agitator, at least my set of LGs don't, so they aren't really any older of a design then the front loaders. They clean well, don't easily develop odors because you can leave the lid open without tripping over it, and they are mechanically simple enough, fit in the same footprint, really I don't see the disadvantage.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I think I remember driving by a big whirlpool factory in Mexico. They are headquartered in MI, but who knows where it actually came from.

E: I think it was in Monterrey

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

spog posted:

If a toploader doesn't have an agitator thingy, how does it move the clothes around and force water through them? A front loader uses gravity and a tumbling action to achieve that

And it does have an agitator thingy, what stops your shirts from getting wrapped round it?

The bottom of the tub moves in a different direction than the sides to sorta agitate it. It cleans just fine, even farm stains, it just takes a while to cycle. What i meant was it doesn't have the traditional white plastic agitator that goes all the way to the top of the drum. Makes it much larger on the inside, bedding is np.

It is really sensitive to detergent, nothing seems to work half as good as tide he.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

financially racist posted:

the people down the road moved out of the house they were renting and left their non-running rx7 fd behind.

it has no rust but i have no idea why it doesn't run. i am thinking of asking the landlord about it since he will presumably get it via abandonment.

please talk me out of this terrible, terrible idea.

My friend got an RX7 this way, I got it running, we beat the poo poo out of it. Exhaust was straight piped, donuts and dirt road drifts were made, old ladies went running from the sound and police were called. Had a blast.

Its a great idea.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Personal rant, so I apologize.

Theres nothing quite like frequent business travel to make someone question the life choices that brought them here. Like how I thought my job was pretty nice and I was doing well until my plant closed and I had to start flying. Being crammed into a CRJ on a weekly basis has only added to what was already a loving miserable year with the loss of my only child and the plant closing. It feels like being shoved into a kindergarten chair and stuck inside a 55 gallon drum with only a couple air slits to breathe through. Its miserable, painful because i'm so tall my head hits the overhead bin and my knees wind up painfully pinned to the back of the seat in front of me. Its also kinda degrading because I know i'm wide and I am that guy no one wants to be next to, but the flights are 96% full and getting a row to myself isn't possible. So I wind up hunched forward and twisted in an awkward spot just to afford the poor soul sitting next to me the space they paid for. If its even possible, because it seems like they intentionally sit the two biggest guys on the flight next to each other. Frequent flyer programs have been gimped to the point where its a joke, to the point where I feel guilty about even trying for status because the upgrades are so infrequent for someone who flies regional. Like i'm 3 weeks away from the next level but thats not how I want to label myself, I just want to feel like a drat basic human when I sit in their lovely plane. Its gotten to the point where it doesn't matter how my week has gone, that last flight home ruins it no matter how hard I try to stay positive. I quit my last job in 2013 because of the flying and the time it took away from relationships. It was hard to imagine it getting worse in 3 short years but feels like it has. I keep agreeing to contract extensions because of some personal bs sense of obligation and its really starting to turn me into an angry person.

And all of this is such a first world problem that its wrong to even rant about it, and that adds to the misery to the point where it kinda boils over.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
It goes against company policy to discuss it online, but I work for a composite building materials company. I managed one of their smaller plants. Right now its more of a project management role for the same salary. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for the time it afforded me with my son while working from home post closure, but the flying part has continued to be a drain. And it looks like a small error may have just extended this project past the current end of my contract.

The local economy continues to improve, I get Facebook adds all the time for the toyota plant hiring people at up to $32/hr for skills that I have. Its so tempting. Or a plant just down the road is has a position with the same job title. Or I have the money and time to go back to college, or my wife and I are in the position where I can take a job that pays less but is more satisfying even if it makes my resume look lovely. Idk. I could even take a vacation but I forgot how to relax while away from home and gently caress being on a plane.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

bolind posted:

How about telling your company to give you business class or to not put you on a plane at all? Does a CRJ even have anything acceptable?

No, its all coach on a CRJ200 which I always seem to get stuck on for the last flight. Delta labels a bulkhead seat "comfort +" now and considers it an upgrade but the width is the same, if not less because of the tray tables in the armrest.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I dropped from 350 to 220. Width was still an issue but the seatbelt extender wasn't. Back up a bit after getting married, and your right, it helps, but it doesn't change head into the the bin or knees into the seat.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Josh Lyman posted:

What did you do to lose the weight? My holiday weight gain has stuck around this year.

Started by cutting out sugar, then eliminated more carbohydrates, started commuting on a bike, it was a lot of little changes that I have since let slide more than a bit.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

freelop posted:

There was a bit of excitement at work today as a helicopter landed.
Unfortunately it turned out to be an air ambulance because someone fell 30m off a crane.
No report on how the bloke is but he was taken away via road rather than air which was odd because we have our own onsite ambulance so why would the summon the helicopter?

He probably didn't make it.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Someone at delta must have read my rant yesterday. They were awesome enough to cancel my flight, book me through a hub farther away and give me some sweet middle seats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Melatonin and avoid artificial lights in the evening. With the days so long now its going to be difficult.

• Locked thread