Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ewe2 posted:

Imagine being this oblivious to other people's life experience and having that reinforced by Daddy's friends and contacts. It's smug but sad at the same time.

Yeah, it's impossible not to read it as "I always believed in helping those in need. Then I realised I wasn't in need and thanks to my family connections never would be, so gently caress those people!"

But in horror story news, Stopping The Boats has taken a hell of a loving turn over in Europe.

The Guardian posted:

Far right raises £50,000 to target boats on refugee rescue missions in Med

Aid charities have saved more than 6,000 from drowning this year. Now anti-Islam ‘Identitarians’ are crowdfunding to pay for vessels to chase them down

Far-right activists are planning a sea campaign this summer to disrupt vessels saving refugees in the Mediterranean, after successfully intercepting a rescue mission last month.

Members of the anti-Islam and anti-immigrant “Identitarian” movement – largely twentysomethings often described as Europe’s answer to the American alt-right – have raised £56,489 in less than three weeks to enable them to target boats run by aid charities helping to rescue refugees.

The money was raised through an anonymous crowdfunding campaign with an initial goal of €50,000 (about £44,000) to pay for ships, travel costs and film equipment. On Saturday the group confirmed they had reached their target but were still accepting donations. A French far-right group hired a boat for a trial run last month, disrupting a search-and-rescue vessel as it left the Sicilian port of Catania. They claimed they had slowed the NGO ship until the Italian coastguard intervened.

Alongside raising funds for ships, it also requests funds for “research” above the logo of the favourite alt-right message board, 4chan. One recent 4chan thread encourages users to track NGO ships in the Mediterranean, then report them to the navy and police to investigate, particularly “ships idling near the coast of north Africa”. Although not specified, the operation will almost certainly be based in Sicily, most likely operating from the island’s ports of Pozzallo or Catania.

Powerful rigid inflatable boats able to travel faster than 20 knots can sell for less than £10,000 and would be sufficient to slow down and obstruct ships leaving port. An Italian far-right group claims it has been offered ships and support from people with boat driving licences

It's Whale Wars but even more racist and incompetent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

We need to turn back refugee boats for their own good to prevent the same thing happening here :smug:

But it's not turning back the refugee boats - it's interfering with the rescue boats trying to save lives if the refugee boats sink.

They're wanting to attack the rescue boats and block them from ever leaving port.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

But, but, her family came out with a list of all the people to whom she wasn't a hateful bigot!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Lid posted:

Still think that it was Trump that ended the worlds flirtation with fascism. America died so we could live.

I'm coming to believe this as well. It's kinda insane.

Trump and his minions are just so ugly and hateful and incompetent that people are being repulsed from their bullshit. That and his Nixon speedrun attempt.

I'm starting to hope that the ugly lurch to the right the world has been going through since 2001 may finally be starting to adjust back to something less loving evil.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

ewe2 posted:

A run down of LNP donations from Energy companies too:

https://twitter.com/WorldOfMarkyD/status/874491359247310848

I'm always stunned at just how loving cheap it is to buy a politician - or even an entire party.

$50k a year is couch change to a big company.

A couple of years ago, my company spent over $150k just buying new office chairs. But for that, they apparently could have bought hired controlling interest in the major political party of their choice.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Double Post!

Also - who gives a poo poo what people put in their food? If it's healthy, or even simply not made out of pure loving lard, let them enjoy it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Hobo Erotica posted:

Thanks for the link. Did you read through to the examples though?

:words:

I guess that's about as good an explanation as we'll get.

Thank you for this.

Good to see someone put some effort into their position rather than just outright stating unfounded opinions as fact.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Hobo Erotica posted:

The indifference is just striking to be honest. Worth remarking upon at least, which is what I'm doing. I'm not railing, I'm just trying to understand the hate. People say it's ok cos the opinions are lovely, but the opinions just don't seem that lovely. But no one else has said that yet, which suggests that everyone just accepts that junkee article? The consensus is she's a lovely, victim blaming, whore hater? I feel that sets a new low for the discourse.

Was it this month or last month where someone pointed out that "even here in AusPol, we dismiss and cut off women"? Of course, no one wanted to believe such a thing about themselves. Yet here we are.

The pointing of the "more Left than thou" finger seems a lot more cutting than usual and I'm personally having a really hard time seeing where that unpleasantness is coming from unless you take it as an excuse to openly hate on a woman who has gone and succeeded in life on her own terms by making a profession out of having an opinion.

Maybe it's not deliberate, but it's still coming across as incredibly lovely.

You don't need to be a MGTOW/Red Piller to harbour horrible opinions on women. However, jumping on this woman and taking all the things she's said out of context to hurt her certainly has their stink.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

QUACKTASTIC posted:

I dunno mang, you were making a fair point earlier. Now it just seems like you're not digging up, stupid.

This is literally what she said:

quote:

'We accept that gay people can't change who they love and who they're sexually attracted to, so why do we think that people who are sexually attracted to children can be rehabilitated?"

Her point - and no arguments that it was a loving lovely point - was whether paedophiles can be rehabilitated if we accept that sexuality is set a birth. She did not compare gays people to child molesters in any way that people in this thread are attempting to infer.

Jesus loving Christ, you people.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Zenithe posted:

I've been wrong before, but can it get much lower than this?

Of course it can:

quote:

We don’t see those costs in the same way as we see a fire’s victims; we will never know the name of the guy who was killed in a car accident because he had to live far from work because rents rose because regulators required sprinkler systems.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Bogan King posted:

Heard the apology earlier. Was refreshing to hear an apology not a sorry your offended.

-----------------------------

Christians are being poo poo and the government is covering for them [SMH]

Sorry, but why are we teaching scripture in public schools? Oh right, loving Howard.

Bogan King posted:

Victoria laying the foundations to become the worst state.

What's weird is that they already have this power.

quote:

When the law says police can search you without a warrant

The police officer does not need a warrant to search you in a public place if they reasonably suspect you:

have illegal drugs
have things that can explode or ignite
have guns or weapons like knives, imitation guns, knuckle-dusters or nunchakus
are in an area where a lot of violent crime happens (they can use this fact to show they have reasonable grounds to search you)
have something that could be used to make graffiti, for example, spray paint, gouging tool or even a texta.

Then there's the whole bullshit of "designated areas" .

quote:

Searches in public 'designated areas'

The police can search people for weapons in public areas which have become designated areas. They have a lot of search powers within these areas. The police:

do not need a warrant
do not need to have any reasonable grounds to suspect you are carrying a weapon
can search you, your bags and your car for weapons
can do searches in a designated area for up to 12 hours.

So, if the cops just call music festivals "designated areas" then they don't even need suspicion that a person has anything on them, they now have the legal power to just search anyone at any time.

How much more power do they need?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Hobo Erotica posted:

Modern Public Shame.

Thanks thread for helping me thrash it out and thanks for 3 days to chill.

Really polished it up good :thumbsup:

CrazyTolradi posted:

You know, I thought it was weird that Hobo Erotica brought his Mia posting back up again in the middle of autism in school chat but now I can see how they're actually very relevant to one another.

When you're trying to argue the moral high ground, perhaps you shouldn't use autistic people as your punchline.

Because, FYI, no matter what you think about HE, that sort of thing really just makes you look like a piece of poo poo.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

G-Spot Run posted:

No but you see the universe always makes more bills when you pay them and they are not at all generated on a highly predictable monthly, quarterly and yearly basis that even a machine could understand. It's total cosmic chaos of expenses because you didn't treat yourself

Isn't that the stupid poo poo Oprah was peddling? The Secret?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
But how am I supposed to afford my five overseas trips per year, the live-in nanny, my three holiday houses and buying a new car every year?

I mean, I'm barely breaking even as it is :shrug:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

GoldStandardConure posted:

i watch transformers daily to signal to the universe that we need more michael bay movies

Good news for you then, they're making another 50 of them.

I think the next one's Transformers Meet King Arthur.

No, seriously.

Futuresight posted:

I hate Tony Abbott with a passion. If you're going to gently caress people over and rob the country at least look somewhat competent while doing it so as to let us keep some small scrap of dignity. Tony Abbott in charge took even that away from us.

He's our own Tiny Trump.

But somehow not as lovely.

Yeah, there's a loving scary thought of the day.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jun 28, 2017

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
gently caress it, quote is not edit.

Here it is:

Somehow I'm hard pressed to feel thematic tension for giant loving robots with laser beams versus men on horses with swords.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Palmer was our Trump, Abbott is very different.

You're right - Abbott is Pence.

Creepily religious white supremacist? Checks out.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

GoldStandardConure posted:

'next one'

i'm sorry are you from the past?

Didn't realise it had been released down here yet. I've been doing my best to avoid everything to do with the franchise.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
So happy Pell has finally been charged.

I have friends who have been waiting 40 years for this moment and, even though they know he'll never actually answer for his crimes, being able to watch all the horrors that man committed during his life be brought to light is as close as they will ever see to justice.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
How will they get him out of Vatican City?

There's a good reason he fled the country during the first big hearings.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
My concern is that he's also a Cardinal-Prefect in charge of the Vatican's finances and they have no mandated retirement age. His position is up for renewal in another two years, I think, but it's anyone's guess what actually happens then.

Also, the pope is not obliged to accept his resignation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

NPR Journalizard posted:

I will believe this when I see him land in australia.

Ditto.

I want to believe it. God, I would cut off a leg to see it happen.

But I'm not going to hold my breath.

• Locked thread